Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Todd Marksberry

1. "Love working at PSCU! It's a pleasure to come to work every day."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO

I have been working at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Public Service Credit Union is dedicated to serving members and employees. I have worked at PSCU almost two years and have seen a culture of caring, dedication, top notch customer service, and an attitude of serving the members with integrity, honesty, compassion, and warmth. Above and beyond is our way of doing business. We strive for excellence every day and try to make each member interaction a positive one. If we make a mistake, I love that we immediately fix it. We all make mistakes, but PSCU will always correct our errors, explain what happened and why, and keep that level of trust with our members. We want our members to feel that stopping by a branch or calling into our Communication Center is the best part of their day. We want to continue to serve our valued members, retain quality employees, and try to make our community a better place to live, work, and play.

Cons

There is no downside to working to PSCU. It is with pleasure and honor that I work here.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to keep treating us, your employees, with respect and integrity, and we will honor you by continuing to serve our members to the best of our ability. My manager is the best boss ever and I'm fortunate to work for this company, my team, and my boss. As an employee, I feel appreciated, valued, and respected, so it is easy for me to pass that positive, caring attitude on to our members. And I love that we have projects and activities that benefit the community, from Suits To Soldiers to Bike MS to Financial Education classes. Thank you.

2. "Awesome Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lonetree, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lonetree, CO

I have been working at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very smart, savvy and experienced leaders. There is a genuine care and concern for our members and employees. A commitment to community involvement and being leaders in the communities we serve. Renewed focus on the health of our culture and core values. A warm and collaborative organization. Incredible business growth and momentum.

Cons

While we are the original "Built in Colorado" (1938), we are building (or rebuilding) much of our infrastructure and technology and quite frankly, playing catch up. If you like to build with smart people, it is a great place for you. If you are impatient, not so much.

Advice to Management

Your commitment to our members, employees and the focus on our culture is outstanding. I'm so excited to be a part of this company and the Credit Union Movement.

3. "Mortgage Servicer II"

Current Employee - Mortgage Servicing Specialist in Lone Tree, CO
    Current Employee - Mortgage Servicing Specialist in Lone Tree, CO

I have been working at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Culture that is close knit and open. The community mentality of this company allows workers to thrive and assist members/customers. Working in a credit union, there is a lot of opportunity advance and succeed.

Cons

Currently I have noticed that the credit union is not keeping up with market value in regards to salary. As a result, certain positions and departments have experienced turnover which effects the quality of service/products that we offer to our members.

Advice to Management

Pay market value and retain talent

"communication center hell"

Former Employee - Communication Center in Lone Tree, CO
    Former Employee - Communication Center in Lone Tree, CO

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

co-workers were the best thing and not being open on holidays or Sunday

Cons

management, growing to fast and don't know what they are doing, harrassment from managers and director, supervisors don't know anything. Lack of communication. Terrible training and pay.

Advice to Management

if you want quality workers and people happy to come to work stop degrading your employees.

"Accounting Analyst (Former)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO

Pros

Decent work/life balance as work comes second to socializing; low expectations of work

Cons

Low pay, subpar benefits
    Retro, regressive culture
    No growth opportunities
    Seniority, not competence, rewarded
    Management is extremely unprofessional
    If you are looking for a career, avoid at all costs.
    Dead-end employment

Advice to Management

Increase pay
    Hire and promote people based on skill
    Have HR train staff on behaving in a professional environment; get rid of those who don't comply
    Change culture
    Create work progression for employees

"Dysfunctional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some great folks work here. Location is good and 401K match is wonderful!!

Cons

Extremely dysfunctional organization -thought it might get better when the CEO left . . . but it's no better. The problem is the behavior of the senior management team - unprofessional!!! Defines the organization.

Advice to Management

Make the difficult decisions for the good of our members and employees!

"Senior Member Service Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

Pros

The company pays well and the members are great. The training is great as well of you get the time to go.

Cons

They are a very sales pushy company and the management says they are not. They have unrealistic goals for tellers and bankers.

Advice to Management

If your going to have a sales environment that is fine just be upfront about it and you would have as much turn over. There is more turnover in PSCU then your biggest competitors.

"Worst financial institution I've ever experienced."

Current Employee - Senior Member Service Representative in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Member Service Representative in Fort Collins, CO

Pros

Great coworkers and decent benefits. It's nice not to work Sundays and get off no later than 7 every night.

Cons

The incompetency of every manager I've encountered is mind-boggling. They have all displayed blatant favoritism in the branches, and the whole company has a very "clique" vibe to it. Upper management is extremely sales-pushy and micro-manages everyone. They constantly scoff at banks for force-feeding products to people, while they have the highest loan goal (and lowest compensation) I've ever seen in my 5 year career in the finance world. Run as fast and as far away as you can from this place.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as people, not numbers. Reconsider loan goal for FSC's, or at least inform potential employees of the fact that not a single FSC has made their loan goal in the market. Back up your employees when needed, because unfortunately in the banking world, we have to say no to consumers. It demolishes your employee's credibility to not support them while following policies and procedures.

"Hard work does NOT pay off"

Current Employee - Communication Center Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Communication Center Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, revamped training, auto loan incentives, some great co workers, consistent schedules

Cons

Branch staff unhelpful, take on other departments work, short staffed, not enough feedback or praise

Advice to Management

Assistance is needed with members who are continuously verbally abusive towards employees, don't just expect us to take the call each time when clearly a manager needs to be involved or the account needs to be shut down. Expect same member service standards for all reps, no matter how long they've been in the department. Recognition for handling escalated situations or handling situations where another branch has dropped the ball.

"Beware of Public Service Credit Union - It is NOT "Together, We're Better!!!""

Former Employee - Support Services Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Support Services Representative in Denver, CO

Pros

There are some good, smart, motivated people at PSCU, but they could have a LOT more if they offered MUCH more competitive pay and didn't have such a toxic environment that caused good people to quit after not that long.

Cons

The pay and the benefits are terrible. Staff are paid salaries from the 90's. Thus, the turnover rate is VERY high. But, the executive management doesn't care. They don't do anything to create a higher retention rate. It's a revolving door. Some people have been there for many years or even their entire careers, but those people should have moved on years ago.
    "Together, We're Better!" is a joke! Employees laugh about it in disgust all the time, for it has no real meaning at work; it's only words. People don't work together. Departments don't help and pitch in and help each other. I was always shocked and appalled at how the managers refused to lend a hand to each other, even when another department really needed help. They just don't care; it's every man for himself- not "Together, We're Better!"
    That's not a healthy company culture to have, and it's no way to run a company.
    The CEO and the executive management are the worst, for they just walk around headquarters, speaking only to other management, not staff. They're too important to speak to staff members, so they just rudely walk right by without saying anything. It's truly horrible. And the culture starts from the top down. There are certain management that are a nightmare to work for, for they are "bully bosses" and degrade and yell at employees. All of the management, executive management and the CEO know what goes on. But, nobody does anything about it. Thus, it continues. THAT, is wrong.
    In many ways, PSCU is a very toxic place to work.

Advice to Management

They need to fire the toxic executive management members, even though they know their jobs. A company needs executive management that treats its employees with respect and does not bully, yell at and disparage them in front of others- and nobody does anything about it.
    They need to pay its staff REAL salaries, not salaries from the 90's.
    Given that it's a $1billion company, they should pay more than they do for medical premiums for part-time employees, who essentially work to have health insurance, and full-time employees who add a child, children or family to their insurance. The medical premium when you add someone is way to high. It's a company of only 350 people. They can afford to absorb more of the cost of the premiums.