Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Todd Marksberry

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Financial Services Consultant"

I have been working at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time

Pros

Great environment to work in.

Cons

Shaky systems leading to poor member experience

Advice to Management

Please complete one project in its entirety before taking more on.

"Worst Mistake of my Life Taking a Job Here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is some amazing talent here. Unfortunately, most of them are mistreated. 401k match is a good benefit.

Cons

Those 5 star reviews below were written by somone in Corporate to inflate the score from a 1.8. The morale here is horrible. Don't believe me? Go to their website and see how many jobs are open. PSCU offers zero employee development. Most positions are filled with friends and family of executives who have no qualifications. It is not uncommon to see people completely unqualified hired, such as a waitress hired as a branch manager. So unless you have a friend upstairs, be prepared to work your butt off thanklessly with minimal pay and minimal raises. Although consistently scoring high on reviews, I received raises maybe half of the years I worked here. The ones I did get were typically under 25 cents an hour. They recently did an employee survey, and after finding morale was so bad, they "solved" the problem by providing snacks. This was touted in an employee newsletter. Some of the things I put up with here are:
    1. Asked for a Friday and Saturday off so I could get married. Was told no because my manager's son had Lacrosse practice.
    2. Was given minimal staff to run a branch. I brought this up several times with my manager as it was a security risk. I was told to "deal with it." There were some days I was by myself for hours at a time. Sure enough, the branch got robbed. The response from Executive Management was not asking if I or the staff was ok, but why so much money was given out. It was $4,000.
    3. Had hours I worked taken away from me because they stopped deciding to pay out overtime.
    4. Health suffered (mainly very high blood pressure) due to on the job stress. Was headed for a heart attack or stroke before I finally got out.
    5. Had multiple courtesy interviews for positions applied for. In most cases, people were hired that had no experience or skills. At one point, I applied for a manager position at a branch I had been running for 5 months. An external employee was hired who was dealing drugs at the businesses around the branch and caused a $10,000 loss to the CU. Hard to believe but this happened.
    Also, in 2009 when the economy tanked, no raises were offered to employees. Instead, at an all employee company meeting where they rented out a ballroom, the corporate "philosophy" was given out. We were all told that if we could not adhere to that we could quit and be paid $2,000. What a slap in the face.
    The basic fact is this: PSCU does not care about their employees. There is zero development, minimal pay, and very few internal promotions. When applying for internal positions, many employees do not even get a phone call or email acknowledging them. Then an external candidate is hired. With a staff of just over 400, they hire about 30 external employees a month. It has been this way for 2 years and not one attempt has been made to correct it. Not only did I waste my time here, but it set my career back 10 years. They are so poorly rated on online reviews, they are changing the name of the organization in the next few months.

Advice to Management

One thing I have learned over the years is that when staff are happy and motivated the business growth is unstoppable. Start developing and mentoring your staff. Help them to grow and reach career goals. I can't tell you how many reviews I had where I wrote out a career path I wanted to follow that was completely ignored with zero follow up. Stop hiring people who are unqualified. Pay your staff more. Snacks are not the answer to low morale. Development, being able to move up (it's called a career), and reasonable pay is.

3. "Peers Are the Only Positive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO

I have been working at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are fantastic, some of the best people you'll ever meet

Cons

Management will lie to you, duties will shift dramatically, and pay is below market rate for duties.

Advice to Management

Pay your workers appropriately for the work they do.

4. "Terrible Work Environment"

Pros

Pay is okay, coworkers are nice and helpful, orientation and initial training is good, there is a lot to learn

Cons

Technology is outdated and awful, working at a branch is not a great experience by any measure, managers not good

5. "Lender"

Current Employee - Commercial Lender in Lone Tree, CO
    Current Employee - Commercial Lender in Lone Tree, CO

I have been working at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been in financial services for 20 years. PSCU has the greatest culture. You really feel like you are part of the family. The positive work environment has had a positive effect on my personal like as well. Finally, the benefits are incredible.

Cons

There are no cons to this fantastic institution. I have work at other financial institutions and PSCU by far is the best.

Advice to Management

Keep this the wonderful place it is today.

6. "Administrative"

Current Employee - Assistant in Lone Tree, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant in Lone Tree, CO

I have been working at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have witnessed this organization dramatically change for the better in the last few years. They have a very engaged executive team, an HR department that instills a strong culture throughout the company, and everyone who works here is friendly and easy to work with. It's like a family!

The benefits packages, 401(k) contributions, and PTO are very competitive.

Promotes internally!

Cons

Nothing! This is a very good place to work. I do not have any qualms with any initiatives of this organization.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

7. "Love working at PSCU! It's a pleasure to come to work every day."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO

Pros

Public Service Credit Union is dedicated to serving members and employees. I have worked at PSCU almost two years and have seen a culture of caring, dedication, top notch customer service, and an attitude of serving the members with integrity, honesty, compassion, and warmth. Above and beyond is our way of doing business. We strive for excellence every day and try to make each member interaction a positive one. If we make a mistake, I love that we immediately fix it. We all make mistakes, but PSCU will always correct our errors, explain what happened and why, and keep that level of trust with our members. We want our members to feel that stopping by a branch or calling into our Communication Center is the best part of their day. We want to continue to serve our valued members, retain quality employees, and try to make our community a better place to live, work, and play.

Cons

There is no downside to working to PSCU. It is with pleasure and honor that I work here.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to keep treating us, your employees, with respect and integrity, and we will honor you by continuing to serve our members to the best of our ability. My manager is the best boss ever and I'm fortunate to work for this company, my team, and my boss. As an employee, I feel appreciated, valued, and respected, so it is easy for me to pass that positive, caring attitude on to our members. And I love that we have projects and activities that benefit the community, from Suits To Soldiers to Bike MS to Financial Education classes. Thank you.

8. "Awesome Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lonetree, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lonetree, CO

Pros

Very smart, savvy and experienced leaders. There is a genuine care and concern for our members and employees. A commitment to community involvement and being leaders in the communities we serve. Renewed focus on the health of our culture and core values. A warm and collaborative organization. Incredible business growth and momentum.

Cons

While we are the original "Built in Colorado" (1938), we are building (or rebuilding) much of our infrastructure and technology and quite frankly, playing catch up. If you like to build with smart people, it is a great place for you. If you are impatient, not so much.

Advice to Management

Your commitment to our members, employees and the focus on our culture is outstanding. I'm so excited to be a part of this company and the Credit Union Movement.

"Mortgage Servicer II"

Current Employee - Mortgage Servicing Specialist in Lone Tree, CO
    Current Employee - Mortgage Servicing Specialist in Lone Tree, CO

Pros

Great Culture that is close knit and open. The community mentality of this company allows workers to thrive and assist members/customers. Working in a credit union, there is a lot of opportunity advance and succeed.

Cons

Currently I have noticed that the credit union is not keeping up with market value in regards to salary. As a result, certain positions and departments have experienced turnover which effects the quality of service/products that we offer to our members.

Advice to Management

Pay market value and retain talent

"Greatly improved"

I have been working at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The culture has drastically improved over the past year. It used to be an apathetic environment and staff was quick to pass blame for the numerous, systemic breakdowns in process. However, fresh perspective from senior leadership has built a strong momentum toward reinvesting in technology and adding desperately-needed bodies to keep up with the robust growth that the credit union continues to see year over year. I have worked for the credit union for many challenging years of ridiculously high turnover and mostly negative views of the credit union by the staff. But, this past year has been the most positive by far, and I have every reason to believe that it's only going to be better next year. This credit union is going places and it's never been a better time to join us, work hard, rebuild PSCU, and propel your career in the process.

Cons

It's hard work and we're improving a lot of things all at the same time. But, if you're able to persevere, PSCU takes care of you in the long run.

Advice to Management

Let's keep this momentum going.