Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Todd Marksberry

"Unprofessional"

Pros

There's not much you can say good about this company.

Cons

The pay is no where near other institutions with same job descriptions.
    The benefits are sub-par
    The incentive plan for the FSC's is great, all other positions, management, tellers, etc are CRAP.
    The goals of this company are un-obtainable, they are a credit union that has turned into a BANK. Their main goal is SALES SALES SALES.

They say they have a heart for member service, employee relations, yet they don't.

Its nearly impossible to advance within the company unless you are a brownnoser and kiss the upper management butts.

They make salaried employees work 6 days a week, with no days off, no comp days, sometimes no lunches. They said "that's the Con's of being in management/salaried position, yet the management leaves early, takes super long lunches.

They say they want to help their employees, train, coach and development,but one minor thing happens and they write you up, put you on notice, make your life living hell and force you out the doors.

Advice to Management

Get away from this "its my way or the highway" mentality. You are not GOD! You are a manager of a company. Have compassion for your staff, appreciate them. Don't degrade them and tell them to DEAL with it. Treat employees with respect as if that's how you want them to treat you. Coach and train your staff and work besides them not the YOU ARE MY PEA ON AND I'M YOUR SUPERIOR mentality. Respect my authority, I can do whatever I want. Do as I say, not as i do. Upper management only cares about their top branch managers, say hello to your teller staff, your consultants that make the branch good not the branch manager.

"Dysfunctional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some great folks work here. Location is good and 401K match is wonderful!!

Cons

Extremely dysfunctional organization -thought it might get better when the CEO left . . . but it's no better. The problem is the behavior of the senior management team - unprofessional!!! Defines the organization.

Advice to Management

Make the difficult decisions for the good of our members and employees!

"Branch Manager"

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They were caring about their members & employees in the beginning. Great branch staff and mid management peers.

Cons

Suddenly, the Exec mgmt group began shuffling managers to other locations, demoting mid-managers and executing a fervent sales, sales, sales atmoshere. That became more important than the members but exec team denied it. High turnover as a result.

Advice to Management

If you want to re-invent the wheel at the expense of loyal staff and lost memberships, I suggest you also re-invent the coveted value and mission statements to match. Be honest with your staff & members regarding changes otherwise, they lose faith in your commitment to them.

"Organized Chaos"

Former Employee - Banker/Sales Associate/Loan Applicant Taker in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Banker/Sales Associate/Loan Applicant Taker in Denver, CO

Pros

If you happen to start at the right branch, you will do well. If you start at a struggling branch, you have a 30% chance staying with the company in my opinion.

Cons

Some of the upper management is not very smart, this causes staffing issues, money order issues, many issues, and the entire company is micromanaged more than I have seen in any company I have worked for.

Advice to Management

Empower your employees. Learn what branch level working is like. Figure out your compensation program (When I left, it had been 6 months with a promised "compensation" program coming "Soon". )

"Member Service Representative"

Former Employee - Member Service Representative I in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative I in Denver, CO

I worked at Public Service Credit Union (Colorado) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are always losing people, so plenty of opportunity for full-time/overtime.
    Benefits are available for full time and part time (though they are pretty unaffordable for part-timers).
    Paid time-off, including holidays and the occassional day in the winter when it is too snowy to open.
    Coworkers are awesome and supportive, even though it isn't their job to support you.
    A lot of opportunity to move up, good place to go to get some banking experience.
    Regular hours, Sundays off.

Cons

One of the lower-paying credit unions by at least $2 an hour.
    They do not give raises, only incentives that do not pay much ($70 if you complete 12 appointments, 6 loans over $2,500 closed, have less than $10 outage, and less than 3 check errors per month; $30 for each loan closed after your initial 6 per month. No one in my branch or half of the other branches ever made the goal).
    Incentives are extremely limited and there is always a way they can get out of giving you credit for referrals/giving you incentive pay (only loans over $2500 count, no first mortgages, no credit cards, no ODLOCs; some branch managers will allow you to claim walk-ins for credit while others won't).
    Extremely understaffed/extremely stressful.
    Management usually plays the role of a teller or financial consultant instead of completing management tasks or helping members.
    Management holds tellers back from moving up because they do not want to lose their frontline.
    Members know that if they are rude enough and complain enough, management will just bend over and give them what they want and throw you under the bus (especially in regards to cash withdrawals without proper ID)
    Huge lack of communication between and within departments.
    Bank-like attitude towards members despite promoting a community, credit-union feel.
    You end up doing work far beyond your description since management/other departments will drop the ball otherwise.
    Management will ignore or deny time-off if you are sick due to being consistently understaffed.

Advice to Management

Offer employees realistic incentives so they don't get burnt out from making numerous appointments per day and bringing in revenue with no reward.
    Communicate and be clear with employees and members on policy.
    Stand up for employees who follow policy correctly and make sure management makes themselves available at all times. Many unsafe things go down in the branch (like conducting transactions and giving information without IDs) because employees do not want to be yelled at and harrassed by members and then have no support from management.
    Keep an eye on branch management to make sure they are doing what is best for the company (moving qualified people up, etc.) and not just what is easiest for them (hold people back because they excel in their current position). Also be on the lookout for unprofessional attitudes between management and employees.
    Provide the opportunity for a raise, especially after passing assessments and reaching goals.
    Hire an adequate amount of people so chaos doesn't ensue as soon as one or two people quit/take time off.