Public Storage District Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Public Storage District Manager Reviews

Updated September 19, 2017

District Manager

3.9
Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is better than most companies at the DM level (in 36 reviews)

• Starting as a District Manager, you can advance into a Senior DM role and Regional Manager role in a realistic amount of time (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • They don't hire within the company, the highest you could become is property manager (in 135 reviews)

• The District Managers don't even know how to do the basics (in 92 reviews)

Current Employee - District Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - District Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent compensation. Good company structure. Zero worries about layoffs

Cons

No work life balance. Demanding pace.

Advice to Management

Considering bringing back people who may have left due to poor managers in the past

"Notice that all 5 star reviews are from the same time period, almost like a campaign, and say pretty much the same thing"

Current Employee - District Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - District Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are well written, but how many employees would really take that much time to write so much, seems more like a recruiting effort. Seriously, about 10 are from the same week, several from the same day. I am on Glassdoor a lot, and that is a phenomena, and completely absurd.

Notice also how they all say nothing negative under 'cons'. Basically stating that you just need a good work ethic to get over the insane amount of work. We were actually told at a divisional meeting that we had to manage our families better so we would have more time for Public Storage...

Cons

They lie, right to your face. Everything in their recruiting is a lie. They will ridicule and intimidate you from the very beginning of the job, and anyone who steps up is relentlessly tormented and fired. I saw the #1 and #3 guys in our division fired for poor performance (seriously!) because they spoke out against management.

Advice to Management

I wish Glassdoor was able to monitor their activity, but please be smart about your decision. This company used to have a 30% - 40% approval rating until they started posting fake reviews. I only just saw this and decided I needed to post the truth. This company is horrible, to their managers, to their staff, and even to their customers. Make sure to read the 1 star reviews as well, you can then make up your mind.

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If one comes from a retail background, the majority of weekends off and the ability to take time off around Thanksgiving and Christmas are nice perks.

Cons

One will perpetually be yelled at by customers, since the District Manager becomes the first line of defense for every upset customer in the district.

You will have to work in the elements, as cutting locks in the heat of the summer/cold of the winter and running auctions in the torrential downpours is a regular portion of the job.

There is nearly zero ability to innovate or think critically, as every aspect of the job is process oriented and one, therefore, merely becomes focused on endless tasks.

If I had to guess, the company advertises the salary on each job posting because they would not get any applications for the position otherwise, and certainly wouldn't be able to retain good people if it did not pay better than many from the retail background - from which they recruit - are used to being compensated.

There is simply not any satisfying aspects of the job itself.

Advice to Management

Regional and Divisional management treated their folks pretty well. However, benefits are so expensive for such mediocre benefits that it detracts from the compensation value. Improve the medical benefit package would be my recommendation.

"Disappointed"

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a pay check, potential for lots of wealth accumulation if you can put up with the job. Does not require skills or intelligence

Cons

Lots of micro management, weak mid level leadership who does not know how to manage managers, dealing with highly ignorant customers and staff, lack of prioritizing strategic goals and objectives,

Advice to Management

Add additional staff to properties. If you want better leaders look in other places besides Target and car rental agencies. There is a reason your voluntary turn over for District Managers is so high.

Former Employee - District Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - District Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stock options were a nice incentive.
    Pay was good.

Cons

Having a remote market, meant constant travel (a lot of overnights).
    Working in the cold, hot and rainy weather (lock cuts and auctions).

Advice to Management

Please recognized solid performers.

"Go elsewhere for a future career."

Former Employee - District Manager Public Storage
    Former Employee - District Manager Public Storage

I worked at Public Storage full-time

Pros

-If you build a great team of people, it is nice to work with them. There isn't much else positive about working here. I thought that one of the positives would be the schedule, but you get calls on your days off from your bosses and team. Also if you are off, and someone calls out and no one to cover a store, might as well be prepared to go in!

Cons

-If you are short staffed, you will be required to run/open store even if you are off or on vacation.
    -Upper Management (Sr. District Managers and Regional Managers) plays strong favorites and once you are no longer a favorite...your career is done. If you voice a concern about someone, they will come after you as well to rid you of your career.
    -Constant turnover as the hourly managers are not paid enough or treated favorably. They get yelled at constantly by customers, and if the customer calls above the district manager often times the hourly person is ridiculed to a point where they don't want to work there anymore.
    -If you get on a so called "list" you will go no further, and they will find things to look for in order to get rid of you. If you challenge your supervisor, you might as well move on as they don't like that.
    -There is NO consistency in how they manage their people..what you are held accountable for another district manager could be doing less and be rewarded as a top performer (read advice to management).
    BEWARE OF GOING HERE TO START A CAREER AS NO ONE HAS TYPICALLY BEEN AT THIS COMPANY MORE THAN 2 YEARS.

Advice to Management

-You need to look at your incompetent regional managers you have that you have leading your company, and treating your employees terribly.

Current Employee - District Manager Public Storage in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - District Manager Public Storage in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Although I am new to the Public Storage team I can already see how the company sets itself apart from others trying to attract DM candidates to their teams.
    Public Storage is very structured yet open to new ideas and innovative ways to get the job done. Their focus is on the people - both employees and customers- to ensure the business remains strong and growing. The processes that are in place to run the day-to-day operations are complex yet straight-forward and ways above the competition.
    The part I like the most is the fact that this is not a "stuffy" environment. From my boss's boss to my boss and my peers, everybody is level-headed, down-to-earth and ready to jump in and help when needed. They all enjoy their jobs and work hard to make sure everybody succeeds.
    Now, this is by no means a "fancy" position where your status matters and you get to lead from afar everyday. This is a down-in-the-trenches, work side-by-side with your people kind of job where you connect with people with very different personalities and motivate them to achieve the same goal.
    Work-life balance is better than most companies at the DM level. I used to be attached to my laptop constantly on the weekends or I would be so far behind on Monday I would not be able to operate. Now with Public Storage, I enjoy better balance and more productive days which my boss fosters and encourages.
    Don't get me wrong....this is a LOT of work and it is challenging, but it is structured in a way that sets us up for success.

Cons

The way the mileage is calculated with a rather large deduction for personal commute.

Former Employee - District Manager in Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - District Manager in Shawnee, KS

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent work/life balance compared to retail jobs. District Managers and above own company stock, which continues to gain value.

Cons

Appearance and perception are more valuable than productivity, meaning as long as you appear to be engaged and productive you are considered to be doing well. While there are many very intelligent executives with this company, there are also many "pretend" managers who don't have a clue how to manage anyone.

Advice to Management

Training or replacement of several Senior DM or Regional managers who continue to drive away top talent because they simply don't know (or care) how to manage managers.

Current Employee - District Manager

Pros

The training is great and PS takes the time to ensure you are set up for success. The PM/RS are great. They have a lot of responsibility but the rewards are fantastic!

Cons

No cons. Be prepared to connect with customers. Utilize your customer service skills to take care of the customer. The job has its demands but the rewards are beneficial.

"THE place to work!"

Current Employee - District Manager in West Paterson, NJ
    Current Employee - District Manager in West Paterson, NJ

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After 10 years as a DM in retail, I knew I needed out but had no idea where to go. Luckily, I found my savior in Public Storage. Great work/life balance. People are amazing. Compensation and benefits match the position perfectly. And the additional incentive of the bonus program make all the hard work worth it. PS provides a solid training and development program along with an abundant supply of resources to help every employee be successful in their position.

Cons

Small property staffs on single coverage can make it difficult to staff in emergency situations. DMs are responsible for getting handyman work completed on their properties which takes up valuable time and can be challenging to get vendors to complete the work.

Advice to Management

Continue creating a culture of high standards and work ethic among employees. Focus on team building as people always work for people.