Public Storage District Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 13, 2017

District Manager

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • Work-life balance is better than most companies at the DM level (in 35 reviews)

• Starting as a District Manager, you can advance into a Senior DM role and Regional Manager role in a realistic amount of time (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Cannot get promoted any higher than Property Manager if you start in the field (in 128 reviews)

• The District Managers don't even know how to do the basics (in 87 reviews)

Current Employee - District Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - District Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent compensation. Good company structure. Zero worries about layoffs

Cons

No work life balance. Demanding pace.

Advice to Management

Considering bringing back people who may have left due to poor managers in the past

"They rotate DMs like kids in a candy store."

Former Employee - District Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good working hours. Do not have to work on holidays as many retailers are required too.

Cons

Intense workplace pressure. DMs are a dime a dozen. I had no respect for my Regional. Location: Los Angeles.

Advice to Management

Focus on retaining your current DMs instead of forcing them to find their own replacements.

Former Employee - District Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - District Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stock options were a nice incentive.
    Pay was good.

Cons

Having a remote market, meant constant travel (a lot of overnights).
    Working in the cold, hot and rainy weather (lock cuts and auctions).

Advice to Management

Please recognized solid performers.

Current Employee - District Manager Public Storage in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - District Manager Public Storage in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Although I am new to the Public Storage team I can already see how the company sets itself apart from others trying to attract DM candidates to their teams.
    Public Storage is very structured yet open to new ideas and innovative ways to get the job done. Their focus is on the people - both employees and customers- to ensure the business remains strong and growing. The processes that are in place to run the day-to-day operations are complex yet straight-forward and ways above the competition.
    The part I like the most is the fact that this is not a "stuffy" environment. From my boss's boss to my boss and my peers, everybody is level-headed, down-to-earth and ready to jump in and help when needed. They all enjoy their jobs and work hard to make sure everybody succeeds.
    Now, this is by no means a "fancy" position where your status matters and you get to lead from afar everyday. This is a down-in-the-trenches, work side-by-side with your people kind of job where you connect with people with very different personalities and motivate them to achieve the same goal.
    Work-life balance is better than most companies at the DM level. I used to be attached to my laptop constantly on the weekends or I would be so far behind on Monday I would not be able to operate. Now with Public Storage, I enjoy better balance and more productive days which my boss fosters and encourages.
    Don't get me wrong....this is a LOT of work and it is challenging, but it is structured in a way that sets us up for success.

Cons

The way the mileage is calculated with a rather large deduction for personal commute.

Former Employee - District Manager in Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - District Manager in Shawnee, KS

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent work/life balance compared to retail jobs. District Managers and above own company stock, which continues to gain value.

Cons

Appearance and perception are more valuable than productivity, meaning as long as you appear to be engaged and productive you are considered to be doing well. While there are many very intelligent executives with this company, there are also many "pretend" managers who don't have a clue how to manage anyone.

Advice to Management

Training or replacement of several Senior DM or Regional managers who continue to drive away top talent because they simply don't know (or care) how to manage managers.

"THE place to work!"

Current Employee - District Manager in West Paterson, NJ
    Current Employee - District Manager in West Paterson, NJ

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After 10 years as a DM in retail, I knew I needed out but had no idea where to go. Luckily, I found my savior in Public Storage. Great work/life balance. People are amazing. Compensation and benefits match the position perfectly. And the additional incentive of the bonus program make all the hard work worth it. PS provides a solid training and development program along with an abundant supply of resources to help every employee be successful in their position.

Cons

Small property staffs on single coverage can make it difficult to staff in emergency situations. DMs are responsible for getting handyman work completed on their properties which takes up valuable time and can be challenging to get vendors to complete the work.

Advice to Management

Continue creating a culture of high standards and work ethic among employees. Focus on team building as people always work for people.

"Storage Leader"

Current Employee - Senior District Manager in South Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Senior District Manager in South Florida, FL

Pros

Public Storage is a solid company with a proven track record of stability and plenty of room for growth potential. The one constant at Public Storage is change, we are always willing to change in an effort to get better. This business is all about people and process, find the right person and train them to work the process. A great place to work and further your career.

Cons

At times this position can be a bit stressful as people are storing their personal belongings. Don't be surprised by how much a customer loves their belongings.

Advice to Management

Employees appreciate strong leadership, excellent soft skills, and an investment in growing their future.

"Public Storage- Great Company to Work For!"

Current Employee - District Manager in South Florida, FL
    Current Employee - District Manager in South Florida, FL

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for a self-storage industry leader that is constantly growing! Great opportunity for advancement within a diverse market, where you can wear several different hats. Great support from your superiors and colleagues! GREAT COMPENSATION!

Cons

The unfortunate task of having to sell customers goods at auction due to non-payment. Despite all the checks and balances, and best efforts to collect payments, you find yourself forced to let items go for public sale.

Advice to Management

Great company to work for if you have all the righ skill sets. Background in mult-unit management is essential in this business.

Current Employee - District Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - District Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If one comes from a retail background, it does offer most weekends off and the ability to take time off around the holidays.

Cons

It is a far from an engaging business that provides little by way of personal satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Give more ownership of the business to your field leadership

"Great choice for the talented multi-unit manager"

Current Employee - District Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - District Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

From my first day of training to present day, Public Storage has provided me the support and development to grow into the best leader I can be. This is a continuous journey that never stagnates because all businesses grow through change and opportunity. I have had 2 supervisors while in position. Both were promoted from my current role. Both are still with the company. Both are highly successful. Both chosen for their role to support me in mine. I have a A+ team operating my properties due to the incredible hiring support the organization provides coupled with the continuous focus on training and development. My performance is graded on my ability to improve my business from the prior year and whether I achieved success using the right behaviors and processes. I'm now putting my children through college with the help of stocks grants I earn every year. If given the chance to chose all over again, I'd definitely give a resounding YES.

Cons

District complexity varies widely. There is no way to avoid this. Manager competency is consistently well matched with district complexity. Adjusting the pay, bonus or stock grant scale would be a suggestion.

Advice to Management

Bringing the entire company of brands together annually to one venue is most effective in my eyes. Keep doing that.