Public Storage Reviews in Glendale, CA | Glassdoor

Updated February 24, 2017

Glendale, CA

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • Work-life balance is better than most companies at the DM level (in 34 reviews)

• I really enjoy my position as a District Manager at Public Storage (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • No promotions after youve been promoted to property manager from relief manager (in 122 reviews)

• We do a great job of making that week incredible for all of our district managers and above (in 83 reviews)

1. "World Class Organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My tenure here at Public Storage has been extremely rewarding. The company has a winning business model thanks to its progressive thinking and amazing leadership. Your individual success and growth is based on pure merit. Co-workers are collaborative and compensation is fair and competitive. There are very few companies that can boast of the stability Public Storage offers. It's been a gratifying journey thus far and I only see great things for Public Storage in the future.

Cons

There are none that I can think of. It is a fast paced environment and with growth comes change; one needs to be flexible and be willing to adapt to change.

Advice to Management

Continue with all that you've been doing!

2. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Public Storage full-time

Pros

The People - Truly thoughtful and friendly co-workers.

Opportunity - The company continues to grow and develop, offering multiple paths for advancement.

Work/Life Flexibility - Hard work is rewarded, but life outside of work is also very much valued.

Cons

Not a lot of options for lunch within walking distance.

3. "Prosperous, Looking Forward Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, balanced life/work ratio, caring and understanding management

Cons

No plastic ware in the kitchen :)

Advice to Management

Would be nice to consider employees technical inputs when it comes to project decision making.

5. "Fantastic place to work!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I consider myself very fortunate to have found Public Storage. The people are wonderful, the work is challenging, and the company is on solid financial footing. I'm amazed by the tenure of the employees I interact with every day. So many people have 10, 20, 30+ years with the company. That really says something!

Cons

Being a new person in a company with so many employees with long tenure can be tough at times, but the people are very welcoming and collaborative.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, no complaints here!

6. "Accounting and Reporting"

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Like working with other financial professionals who are very knowledgeable and provide great support.

Cons

Frequent business process changes that are done without to much planning. Great opportunities but requires someone to be flexible and adaptable.

7. "Corporate Employee"

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Public Storage just continues to grow and grow. It a great company to work for with a dynamic team. Company leadership are very approachable.

Cons

The cost of benefits for anyone with a family is high.

Advice to Management

Continue to expand and continue to develop people from within. it is great to work for a company that helps the individual grow.

8. "Perks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great peers and coworkers. The Glendale building is clean, but dated. Plenty of outdoor parking.

Cons

Public Storage seems to appreciate their employees with donuts and bagels. However, other perks have been slowly taken away. This would be from the period I was there of 2011 to 2013. I've heard it may be worse as employees I know there are finally jumping ship. No places to eat within walking distance (short), but you can walk like a mile to get some Del Taco.

9. "Great company to work with amazing culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership and management here are amazing, they are willing to assist. I can't say enough good things about this company and its team.

All the employees are intelligent, fun to work with, and passionate about their work. I think this is the most significant factor that makes a great place to work.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of.

"relief manager"

Current Employee - Relief Property Manager in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Relief Property Manager in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a ok job for students or moms looking for a little extra income. The other property managers are great. The District mangers really try to do the best that they can but in alot of things their hands are tied.

Cons

The thing is that this company does not pay enough for someone to survive paying their bills.

Advice to Management

Pay your people more so they can survive. They work hard for this company.

"Profit above all"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Pros

Compensation is decent, and stability is very good. Quite a lot of people with 20+ years on board.

Cons

Lack up upward mobility. Lack of cohesion among mid-level management. Department heads seem to be working to expand their legacies, not improve the business. Benefits are there, but you'll pay a hefty premium. Perks? Not really. Only three company holidays per year.

Bottom line, CEO is an accountant, and it shows. Anything and everything to drive shareholder value.

Advice to Management

$1B Net income last year. Would it really kill stock prices to restore some employee perks? You've already had to weather the ire of the Rose Parade float and the insurance premium increase. Could you at least pretend to like your employees and want to do nice things for them?