Public Storage Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

Updated February 26, 2017

New York, NY

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • Work-life balance is better than most companies at the DM level (in 35 reviews)

• I really enjoy my position as a District Manager at Public Storage (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • No promotions after youve been promoted to property manager from relief manager (in 122 reviews)

• Tightly controlled company can change focus or direction quickly at the whim of upper management (in 83 reviews)

"World Class Organization"

Current Employee - Senior Regional Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Regional Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Public Storage is an excellent company to work for. As a whole they act with integrity and know how to drive business results year after year in a competitive self-storage industry. Public Storage has a commitment to providing career advancement to individuals who work hard and achieve results through determination.

Cons

Public Storage is a structured company that gives you all the tools necessary to succeed. The most successful individuals are those that thrive in a structured environment.

2. "District Manager"

Current Employee - District Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent compensation. Good company structure. Zero worries about layoffs

Cons

No work life balance. Demanding pace.

Advice to Management

Considering bringing back people who may have left due to poor managers in the past

3. "Great Company to work for!!!!"

I have been working at Public Storage full-time

Pros

Several things make this a great company to work for. It really is a team environment. Unlike many positions where you view your peers as competition everyone really does pull in the same direction. Bonuses and Promotions are based on hard work and merit not on favoritism. Expectations are clearly laid out and feedback is given clearly and candidly by supervisors. Overall this is a very fair place to work where effort is rewarded.

Cons

Much like any other retail position you can expect to work most holidays though the company is generous with their paid time off.

Advice to Management

The current compensation plan is focused on keeping employees focused on the long haul. It's very important to keep this structure to encourage employees to think of Public Storage in terms of a career.

5. "Great Resume Builder"

Current Employee - Property Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Property Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Public Storage full-time

Pros

Relaxed Environment
    No Micro-Management
    Great Sales Experience
    Potential become a live on Property Manager with a 2 bedroom apartment that is discounted.

Cons

No for growth because the company does not promote from within after becoming a Property Manager.
    The potential for lateral movement is far and few.
    Bonuses only come once a year.

Advice to Management

Keep your managers happy and they will always have your back. In this company you are nothing without your team. "You are what your numbers are".

"Run away as fast as you can"

Former Employee - Relief Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Relief Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Public Storage part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stepping stone to learn the Storage business if that's what you want to do. Good way to see how employees should not be treated.

Cons

From reading posted reviews seems that those who are in the Glendale corporate office are treated like humans. Can't say the same for the rest of us in the actual storage facilities. District mangers are basically puppets who are not allowed to make decisions. Pay, bonus, time off, benefits, are all below industry standards. Company places unrealistic demands on field personal. Only a few ever make bonus. In the years I was with the company I had time off, benefits, and bonus taken away. The merchandise they sell is sub par and grossly over priced. They think customers are idiots. Employee safety is a big issue for field personal. I have heard of some employees fixing locks and doors with their own money because management would not. That's pretty bad. I have no idea what people are talking about in regards to advancement. Basically you can become a trainer which gets you peanuts as compensation. That's it. You go no further. District mangers are recruited from outside of the company. Takes them a year to learn the business. By then they are either fired or they are running fast to another job. Turnover at this company is astounding. HR is a joke. I saw employees report district managers for egregious behavior. HR did nothing. On the contrary, within six months some one above fired the employees. Trust me. This company borders on evil.

Advice to Management

I'm sure you have heard it a million time before. As long as you "bleed cash" it's all good. Correct?

"No future"

Former Employee - District Manager Public Storage in New York, NY
    Former Employee - District Manager Public Storage in New York, NY

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Expense tolls and $70 of cell phone? I think that's about it, honestly I wish I could type more. But there really is nothing else and glassdoor makes you have to type more than just a sentence.

Cons

Micromanagement on every level. They make you use your personal cell phone as your office number and make it public. Anything you need to get done needs so many levels of approval it makes you feel useless. Upper management is not going anywhere and make sure that by only promoting people that they can control.

Advice to Management

Embrace different ideas and take feedback, it's ok to say some ideas came from us it's not taking anything away from you. If anything it shows that you are listening to your people. Also why hire a district manager and not let them make their own decisions within the district?

"Anywhere But Here!"

Current Employee - District Manager Public Storage in New York, NY
    Current Employee - District Manager Public Storage in New York, NY

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Pay at 75K
    -Guaranteed bonus if you dont get fired first.

Cons

-You're NOT really a DM...every decision has to be approved by your boss.
    -Your employees (relief & property managers) have no company growth so if you are taking the job because you are interested in developing a dynamic team...RUN.
    -Benefits cost way more than average $175-$320 with co-pays and $2500 deductibles per person ...for "A Million" company, they should be able to provide atleast a 50-50 plan instead of 20-80(employee)
    -MICRO-MANAGEMENT kills
    -Saturday/Sunday off does not exist.
    -On call 24-7 and we're not saving lives....Work-life balance is a joke.
    -No culture, no recognition, no team building, no community engagement, no holiday parties and THANK YOU is foreign to much of upper management.
    -Turn over is way too high...been here 6 months and saw 4 people go...3 quit!

Bottom line PS sucks!

Advice to Management

We sell storage units...don't over complicate the job functions!
    Stop hiding behind meaningless emails and conference calls.

"A company that his highly successful and profitable, at the total expense of it's employees."

Former Employee - District Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - District Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits. (as a DM) Very good bonus's, and preferred stock, but Don't get lulled in by the golden fish hook.

Cons

Complete disregard for one's work life balance. really a 7 day a week job. very common for the customer service department in California to call your home at 8pm to 9pm sending you back out on the job for ridiculous problems. They pay their reliefs and property manager very poorly, which makes it difficult to recruit and retain good people. I was called at 10pm on Christmas eve to go to work, because a fire alarm was going off. The stories could go on and on and on.
    50% district manager turnover from year to year. 8 years for stock to vest, they count on you leaving before you own it.

Advice to Management

The culture has been a tension convention before I was there, is now, and will be in the future, unless you take a close look at the demands you place on your DM's
    I was doing well, I left for a better opportunity, but I would never recommend PS to anyone.

"Don't work here."

Current Employee - Relief Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in New York, NY

Pros

None that I can think of. They actually have some good and decent people working for them, but they are trapped in the horrible Public Storage culture.

Cons

Lousy pay compared to the competition. Benefits are a joke. Management tells us to lie to our customers and in the same sentence tell us if confronted they will deny it. Some of their business practices are unethical and probably border on illegal. They cut corners which at times compromises our safety. I find it hard to believe that upper management is not aware of these and many other issues.

Advice to Management

Show some decency,compassion and respect to your field personal who help fill your pockets. This is a stressful job and you guys are clueless to the fact. You guys want more and more from us and at the same time take more and more from us.