Public Storage Property Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Public Storage Property Manager Reviews

Updated November 14, 2017

Property Manager

2.3
Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is better than most companies at the DM level (in 37 reviews)

• I really enjoy my position as a District Manager at Public Storage (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • They don't hire within the company, the highest you could become is property manager (in 138 reviews)

• The District Managers don't even know how to do the basics (in 93 reviews)

"Property Manager"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have some really amazing customers,the pay is good and the insurance benefits are even better!

Cons

The only thing I would have negative to say it working at the same location can get a bit boring but there is always work to be done for sure!

Advice to Management

Management I absolutely love my district manager and senior district manager they are some pretty amazing guys! Hard working,very kind,and very understanding! Keep up the amazing work guys!!

2. "Exit Review"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Hazel Crest, IL
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Hazel Crest, IL

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to learn managerial skills

Cons

Very little room for growth

Advice to Management

Develop and promote from within.

"It is all about the company and not about the people who make the company work."

Former Employee - Property Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It is a great place to learn the business. The front line people are amazing to work with during the hard customer days.

Cons

No advancement in the field above property manager. Anyone above a District Manager becomes a company robot. While they say the right things they often forget compassion when talking with other associates.

Advice to Management

Be more human. Have anyone above a property manager Work at a challenging store for 2 months with the same limitations the put on a property manager. This will build a better business.

"Like oppression ? then this is the job for you."

Former Employee - Property Manager
    Former Employee - Property Manager

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You Get three holidays off that's it.

Cons

Management you are oppressed at this job the pay is very little you are trained to lie to customer to get them to by merch if your numbers are low they will embarrass you they send seacret shopper to see if you push merch and read script. The scripts don't work the company is delusional

Advice to Management

Give back employees bonus stop creating an atmosphere of fear

5. "Weighing out the dynamics with Public Storage"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're coming from retail and tired of working different hours, this job is for you.

Cons

For field level employees this 'job' is simply a job with no incentives or advancement. This is great for short term employment but would not advise to stay longer than 1 year; as there's other opportunities that are more professional and pay more.

Advice to Management

Expand oppurtunies for field level employees.

"Waste of Time"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Libertyville, IL
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Libertyville, IL

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good starter job might look good on a resume but no hope for a promising career. If you believe the lies and ignore the warnings.

Cons

Where to begin. This is retail so it's just selling and making profit for the capitalist company mongrels. In my first few days I realized I can't be a part of this culture and look myself in the mirror. I refuse to force a single mother or a guy falling on bad luck to purchase an insanely priced lock or lying to them about how its required by law to buy our insurance. Forced selling with no price lock I was shocked how they can raise rents and how often they do raise the rent. The worst is realizing public storage doesn't pay my wages they hide it in the contract. The very customer I am trained to screw over is realistically the signer of my paycheck. Sorry but you will, unfortunately, not pass my 90 day probation period. I would bet money that job fairs will be an ongoing thing so....

Advice to Management

Save money, open a fair ground for your job fairs. Until you truly change your culture your doors will continue to revolve.

"Not the best, Not the worst."

Former Employee - Property Manager in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Marietta, GA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hours were great. Easy job if you do it correctly.

Cons

Horrible training provided. Pay should be way better. Some facilities need major repairs and upgrades.

Advice to Management

Pay employees better and fix up the properties. Hire people who actually want to work and can perform simple tasks without help.

"Property Manager / KTP"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and set schedule. They do accommodate if you have school and need to leave for a reason related to that.

Cons

This company does not take care of their employees. You are single staffed every day but expected to literally run everything in the store alone, from heaters, cleaning , bathrooms, trash outside. Aside from the cleaning they take really long to fix items. I had a roof leaks in my property for the past 4 plus years because they refuse to fix the roof nor do they care if customer items are damaged. You have no room to move up so once you're a property manager that's it for you !! They never see nah good that you do .. everytime the bosses come around it's way to tell how "what you could improve" not the amazing things you do for them daily. You get one raise a year if that and they now removed the bonuses so you have no room to make extra money. ALSO YOU DO HAVE TO WORK HOLIDAYS AND WILL NOT GET PAID TIME AND HALF.

Advice to Management

Always have 2 people at store, actually fix items when work orders are submit, allow room to grow, appreciate and give feed back when someone is doing good & actually teach what you guys ask for. I was told to check heaters so properties wouldn't flood, but never taught how to do that. To check if timers for lights are right but never learned that.. and the list goes on. I just feel for such a large company that makes so much money that employees and customers would be #1 but it's not the case. Lack of employees is the reason customers get mad and show up during office hours but the door is closed because the ONE employee is on break.

"Property Manager"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Manassas, VA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay, most coworkers are friendly, great training. Overall it is a great place to get a start on how things when working for a corporation, and a great way to put the title of "manager" on your resume.

Cons

Constant upper management change, everything is based in California, no real thinking about what is going on in other parts of the US.

Advice to Management

Put more time and thought into incentive programs to boost employee happiness. Take more input from property and district managers, not every area is the same.

"It's okay"

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, a lot of hours, great district managers

Cons

No growth opportunity for field employees!

Advice to Management

Field employees know the business inside and out - please reconsider your no hiring within policy.