Public Storage Reviews | Glassdoor

Public Storage Reviews

Updated May 24, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • Work-life balance is better than most companies at the DM level (in 35 reviews)

• Starting as a District Manager, you can advance into a Senior DM role and Regional Manager role in a realistic amount of time (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Cannot get promoted any higher than Property Manager if you start in the field (in 124 reviews)

• We do a great job of making that week incredible for all of our district managers and above (in 85 reviews)

"They rotate DMs like kids in a candy store."

Former Employee - District Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good working hours. Do not have to work on holidays as many retailers are required too.

Cons

Intense workplace pressure. DMs are a dime a dozen. I had no respect for my Regional. Location: Los Angeles.

Advice to Management

Focus on retaining your current DMs instead of forcing them to find their own replacements.

"Worst place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros to working here

Cons

Public Storage is the worst and most frustrating job I have ever experienced. There is no employee appreciation and they make it clear you are easily disposable. The customers that call in are also absolutely rude and mean. Public Storage has very unrealistic expectations for their sales employees. This place is a miserable place to work and I would never recommend anyone to work here.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employee and stop holding sales to such unrealistic standards.

"not so good"

Former Employee - Staff in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Staff in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Public Storage (More than a year)

Pros

You have a lot of down time and that is about it.

Cons

DMs put a lot of pressure on you to sell. There is no commission on sales. DMs and RM always force you to sale more or keep the occupancy high to get their bonuses. Nothing is given to the staff at facilities.

"Not worth it"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for public storage gives you the opportunity to add management onto your resume and you have a decent amount of downtime

Cons

This company doesn't pay you nearly enough for the job they ask you to do. They expect you to clean the outside property in all weather conditions even in the freezing rain. Wow trying their best to pay you as little as possible. During your interview they will tell you that you could become a property manager in as little as six months But what they don't tell you is that you can only become one if a property manager quits and most managers have been there for at least five years. And if you don't like to deal with negative customer interactions this is not the job for you. Public storage does everything they can to get money out of their customers while doing as little as they can to provide quality service

Advice to Management

There needs to be a better choice in district managers. Most of them don't care enough to really be hands on. They'll tell you to do your best to get reviews and to sell merchandise and insurance. What they don't tell you is that they're only doing this because they get bonuses.

"Not a Nice Company to Work For!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Just received a pay raise across the company.

Cons

Management does not care about family work life balance of employees. They just want bodies on their properties!

Advice to Management

Don't overwork your employees and move them around so much for such little pay. Have more respect for employees and their value to the company.

"Pushy"

Former Employee - Relief Manager in Colonial Heights, VA
    Former Employee - Relief Manager in Colonial Heights, VA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meeting a diverse group of customers and being in a position to help them with their needs.

Cons

The push of the company to up sell merchandise when customers are in need of help not to spend money.

Advice to Management

Practice the art of customer service

"5 star reviews"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

if you have a apartment on sight. have had 6 DM's in 7 yrs

Cons

it looks like there was a e-mail to DM's and higher to post 5 star reviews. look at the reviews from PM & RM's to see what is really going on

Advice to Management

care about your RM's PM's. stop taking away benefits and then adding more to the work load

"Where's the Seniority?"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Elmhurst, IL
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are no pros to the job or this company.

Cons

How is it that new people are getting 39 hours a week and getting Sundays off? You have long time employees, property managers for YEARS, that have to work every single weekend. These new people are getting 39 hours a week by having Sundays off. That's 52 hours a year MORE than long time employees. When confronting the supervisor, I'm told "If you don't like the schedule, you can leave". Is that how you treat people? Is that what you say to someone that has worked here everyday for 10+ years? The supervisor makes sure all of their "favorites" have the Sundays off, the schedule they want, the holidays off. You have relief managers sitting in the office with their feet up on the desk watching TV on their phones. If you don't believe that statement, try watching the cameras when the relief is in the office. The property manager comes in and has to do all the calls, sweep all the spaces, do all the paperwork, clean the office, clean the lot, clean the bathroom. These lazy relief managers are telling walk in rentals to go on line and make reservations. They let rentals walk out the door everyday and nothing is done about this. My numbers are going in the toilet because of people like this. I can't tell you how many times a customer has told me "That other person told me to come back when you are here". A customer walks in with a problem, it gets handled! There's no "Wait for the property manager" !! There are relief managers telling customers to have someone else rent a space for them to get another special and get the same size space at a lower rate. Of course, there's no lock or insurance on that second rental. The relief tells them it's BS insurance and it's not really needed.

Advice to Management

Shop these relief managers when they are working alone. Stop in unannounced on these relief managers watching TV all day or updating their social media. Quit beating up the long time managers that are trying to make up for everything the relief managers are screwing up. If you want me to do the work of 3-4 people, you need to pay me better.

"Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Hilton Head Island, SC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Hilton Head Island, SC

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Never had to work past 7:00 pm

Cons

Forced to use a script to con all customers

Advice to Management

Grow up

"run"

Current Employee - Relief Manager in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Public Storage (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are no pros run your better off working at McDonalds

Cons

Companys ethics are a joke the treat employees like trash to keep the budget down

Advice to Management

Do better, care for your emplyees