Public Storage Reviews | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

Public Storage Reviews

Updated January 18, 2018

1.0
Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is better than most companies at the DM level (in 38 reviews)

• I really enjoy my position as a District Manager at Public Storage (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • They don't hire within the company, the highest you could become is property manager (in 139 reviews)

• The District Managers are REALLY focused on getting reviews for their properties which can get annoying and frustrating (in 96 reviews)

"HANDS DOWN ABSOLUTE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED FOR"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing good to say AT ALL.

Cons

Forced to work with an extremely abusive, violent supervisor who "forgot" to pay me for my hours worked MULTIPLE TIMES, accused me of not being at work, not doing my job, and his own mistakes; I was forced to clean feces and urine from walls and floors constantly after kicking homeless people out of the units... Absolutely revolting place to work.

Advice to Management

... LEARN TO RESPECT OTHERS AND TREAT EMPLOYEES RIGHT!!!

"Horrible Company"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at Public Storage is if you like to work alone you got to do that a lot. Also getting to know the customers is also a nice part of the job. And I think that's about it.

Cons

So the bad parts to working at Public Storage are the upper management wants you to bust your behind to sell merchandise sell locks and sell insurance to put money in their pockets not ours because they went and took our bonuses away. Also there's no room for growth where you are is basically where you stay. It doesn't matter if you've been there for 20 years or 1 month there's no seniority rules in that place. They do not give raises and if they do it's $0.05 to $0.25 and you have to wait years for that.

Advice to Management

My advice to management I would say they need to care about their employees more because we're the ones that put the money in their pockets and they should really bring back the bonus program.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Sales in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Sales in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at Public Storage (Less than a year)

Pros

horrible company to work for

Cons

Benefits are horrible management ids horrible and the facility is the worst i have ever seen

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bring back bonuses and treat employees with respect and give them a raise and how more employees and security

Cons

Safety of the employees start scripting the employees who don’t work and stop bothering the employees that really work the turn over is high upper management don’t care about the employees they only care about internal revenue merchandise sales and that fraud insurance they sell to the customers they don’t fix nothing and if they do it take along time public storage dont care about they employees are customers all they care about is delinquency and insurance so they can get there bonus that took from us they need to provide break rooms so we can stop eating lunch in the car

Advice to Management

Treat employees better drop the role playing pay rate should be higher stop working employees like starves for that $12 a hour and when upper management come to visit start greeting employees better and stop having them nervous when you come out and stop
    Hiring these young employees who come to work to sit around and smoke
    Marijuana while on the clock

"Run away quick"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Columbia, SC

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

you get to work with some very interesting people and not all of the customers are bad

Cons

No pay raises that are worth mentioning after working for the company for 11 years I got a total of $3 in raises. not sure why I stayed in for the exception of loyalty to my one of many many district managers that came through while I was there. Always promising something better anytime you raise concern but nothing ever happens to back it up or confirm it. Company is very concerned with taking over other businesses and being bigger and bigger but they really need to focus on making the stores they own better first.

Advice to Management

promote from within you have really good managers that have been there for years that could help make the area better. Having more consideration for your loyal employees would help turn over.

"Poor customer service & Price gouging"

I have been working at Public Storage part-time

Pros

So far have had no damage to my property although there is no heat

Cons

They raise their rates every 6 mths to a year and swear they told you that when you signed on. When I told them that was untrue. The response was, well it's in your contract.
    I have had my unit since 2/28/2015. It started out at 69.99. It went up to 94.00 09/2017. That's outrageous!
    It you don't have your own lock, they charge you an outrageous amount to purchase their lock
    There is no heat in the unit, which is in a Midwestern State.
    Actual location staff rarely answers the phone or return phone calls.

Advice to Management

Stop ripping off your customers! If you're going to raise your rates every 6-8 mths, at least offer some consessions to those who have no choice but to use a storage unit.

"Do not waste your time!"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Public Storage full-time

Pros

The set hours and schedule and down time to sit and watch Netflix

Cons

Don’t bother giving a two weeks notice just no call no show because I had gave a notice and they were super disgusting and said don’t come back.

Advice to Management

None! Not gonna waste my time when even calling corporate and HR they still don’t do anything for you! Worst company ever

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I worked at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is no reason I can think of to work for public storage. I really don't know why I stuck around for 8 years.

Cons

The pay wage is not comparable never get raises no cost of living raise. New recognition a lot of hard work top management changes thoughts and ideas constantly. Treated with no respect.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility for your employees with better wages and respect.

Former Employee - Property Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No On site supervisor. No micromanagement

Cons

Too many to count but here are some of the basics that I went through. No flexibility as far as schedule, which can be a con for some more than others. ALOT of sexual misconduct in my district. Low pay although I started as a relief and got promoted to a property manager, but that’s as far as promotion goes for you. If you want to go further you have to quit and reapply (ridiculous). A lot of physical work around the property, cleaning units (sometimes heavy furniture) pulling weeds outside or around property. Poor camera systems, some did not work at all. They love you if you have a car (I work in New York) as they will have you drive from property to property based off of their needs. Too many managers in upper management. You’ll have a DM, an RM and so and so forth, so that if you ever make it to property manager you have no real authority to make decisions for your property. Nothing EVER gets fixed. Units constantly broken into and then the reliefs and PMs have to deal with unsatisfied customers. This company makes millions of dollars but rarely wants to let any money slide by them. Too cheap to fix things but they want us to constantly lie to customers about the units that they are renting. Forced to sells merchandise and I’d yoy don’t you constantly feel like your job is on the line if number are poor. Overall this is a job that should be taken if you just need some thing for a short time. Not a career based job whatsoever. Get in and get out or don’t get in at all. I will say that this company could care so little about its customers or employees that you can get away with almost anything as far as giving terrible customer service. Their is little reprimandation. They care more about the money than anything. Avoid.

Advice to Management

Realize that your customers and your employees are what drive your company. Not your greedy antics. Because storage is such a high demand though, they’ll Get away with the poor treatment. Once one customer vacated another one is coming through door, so doubt any changes will ever be made.

"Cheaply run company"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a paycheck. They are no other pros as they have taken everything away from us

Cons

They are constantly taking away more and more from us. We are not nearly compensated for the work we do. They do not pay to fix things properly, thus creating more expense when a vendor has to come out again to do the same repair. There is no security at all. We are all working alone on dark properties, in fear for our lives as some locations are in a less populated areas. The money not spent on repairs go to the district managers and above. We can not even order our own uniforms! I haven't gotten new shirts in 2 years. Currently I have $290.00 in my "uniform allowance". I have repeatedly asked for and even filled out my own form for new uniforms and have yet to receive anything. Are you giving that money to the district manager too? When I asked about my order, I was told it wasn't in the budget. I have $290.00 in my uniform allowance. How is that NOT in the budget? I guess if you don't care what I look like at work, I won't either. You get what you give. As it is now winter in the midwest, I hoping my cleats will get me through the season. I haven't gotten a new pair in 3 years.

Advice to Management

Pay us what we are worth. Minimum wage is not enough to live on. You have too many people on public assistance. Let us order our own uniforms and cleats. Bring back a FAIR bonus program. We are ALL working and ALL deserve a bonus. The district managers and above are making the big bucks and the people actually making the money for you are living on public assistance and food pantries.