Public Storage Reviews | Glassdoor

Public Storage Reviews

Updated February 24, 2017

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • Work-life balance is better than most companies at the DM level (in 34 reviews)

• I really enjoy my position as a District Manager at Public Storage (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • No promotions after youve been promoted to property manager from relief manager (in 122 reviews)

• We do a great job of making that week incredible for all of our district managers and above (in 83 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An Objective Review"

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Objectively speaking – this is the best company I have ever worked for. It is a company and management structure that rewards hard work and people who do the right thing. Integrity and hard work are priceless and the standard daily.
    One of the best parts of the job is that while everyone who works here is competitive with one another, there is a sense of team work I have never experienced before. If you need support – it is there for you if you ask.
    A lot of people talk about the growth potential that PS offers, and I am living proof of how successful you can be here. I have been with the company for just over 3 years and have been successfully promoted multiple times! You won’t find that kind of growth potential in normal retail hours.
    That is another piece of the equation as well – the work life balance is superior to anything I have experience before in retail.
    The best part of the job is you control your own destiny. Hard work, dedication, personal development, and always striving for more from the team you manage are characteristics that are cherished and rewarded here at PS.

Cons

The workload at times can be heavy. It can come in waves, and without a strong work ethic to push through and resolve efficiently there is a tendency to get bogged down in administrative work versus coaching and training staff. Being able to push through and get back to the field is the key.

Advice to Management

The general turn around time for hiring in both the field staff and DM role is becoming progressively more challenging in our improving economy - any changes to stream line hiring for both of these roles would help reduce administrative work and allow more time in the field training and coaching field staff versus constant recruiting efforts.

2. "World Class Organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My tenure here at Public Storage has been extremely rewarding. The company has a winning business model thanks to its progressive thinking and amazing leadership. Your individual success and growth is based on pure merit. Co-workers are collaborative and compensation is fair and competitive. There are very few companies that can boast of the stability Public Storage offers. It's been a gratifying journey thus far and I only see great things for Public Storage in the future.

Cons

There are none that I can think of. It is a fast paced environment and with growth comes change; one needs to be flexible and be willing to adapt to change.

Advice to Management

Continue with all that you've been doing!

3. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Public Storage full-time

Pros

The People - Truly thoughtful and friendly co-workers.

Opportunity - The company continues to grow and develop, offering multiple paths for advancement.

Work/Life Flexibility - Hard work is rewarded, but life outside of work is also very much valued.

Cons

Not a lot of options for lunch within walking distance.

5. "Clerk"

I have been working at Public Storage part-time

Pros

Flexibility, down time, and great coworkers.

Cons

Gets boring if you have poor time management skills.

6. "Property Manager"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything is A pro, great benefits and a great team

Cons

Pay could be a little more higher for all the work we do.

7. "Best"

Pros

Good Company to work with

Cons

Nothing in particular. They are good with employees.

8. "Prosperous, Looking Forward Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, balanced life/work ratio, caring and understanding management

Cons

No plastic ware in the kitchen :)

Advice to Management

Would be nice to consider employees technical inputs when it comes to project decision making.

9. "Solid Company That Develops Leaders"

I have been working at Public Storage full-time

Pros

• The company is a market leader and very intelligent in the way that they spend their finances. Public Storage is a very financially stable company.
    • If you're looking for a company to grow your career and advance, Public Storage has leaders in place at every level to get you to where you want to go. Employee development is the company's number one priority.

Cons

A Need to Know for Prospective Candidates:
    • A candidate needs to be able to develop a sales focused field staff and drive the business under a very limited payroll structure.
    • Candidates have to be a very organized individually and able to manage their time efficiently as the position requires you to wear multiple hats to be successful at the position managing operations to customer service to repair and maintenance issues.

Advice to Management

• The company needs to continue to look for different ways to redevelop facilities as the competition continues to stiffen in the marketplace.
    • As the market leader, the company needs to continue to look to ways that they can streamline processes utilizing the most advanced and cutting edge IT and technology available in the industry.

10. "Fantastic place to work!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I consider myself very fortunate to have found Public Storage. The people are wonderful, the work is challenging, and the company is on solid financial footing. I'm amazed by the tenure of the employees I interact with every day. So many people have 10, 20, 30+ years with the company. That really says something!

Cons

Being a new person in a company with so many employees with long tenure can be tough at times, but the people are very welcoming and collaborative.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, no complaints here!

11. "District Manager"

Current Employee - District Manager Public Storage in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - District Manager Public Storage in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Although I am new to the Public Storage team I can already see how the company sets itself apart from others trying to attract DM candidates to their teams.
    Public Storage is very structured yet open to new ideas and innovative ways to get the job done. Their focus is on the people - both employees and customers- to ensure the business remains strong and growing. The processes that are in place to run the day-to-day operations are complex yet straight-forward and ways above the competition.
    The part I like the most is the fact that this is not a "stuffy" environment. From my boss's boss to my boss and my peers, everybody is level-headed, down-to-earth and ready to jump in and help when needed. They all enjoy their jobs and work hard to make sure everybody succeeds.
    Now, this is by no means a "fancy" position where your status matters and you get to lead from afar everyday. This is a down-in-the-trenches, work side-by-side with your people kind of job where you connect with people with very different personalities and motivate them to achieve the same goal.
    Work-life balance is better than most companies at the DM level. I used to be attached to my laptop constantly on the weekends or I would be so far behind on Monday I would not be able to operate. Now with Public Storage, I enjoy better balance and more productive days which my boss fosters and encourages.
    Don't get me wrong....this is a LOT of work and it is challenging, but it is structured in a way that sets us up for success.

Cons

The way the mileage is calculated with a rather large deduction for personal commute.