Public Storage Reviews | Glassdoor

Public Storage Reviews

Updated August 4, 2017

5.0
Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is better than most companies at the DM level (in 36 reviews)

• Starting as a District Manager, you can advance into a Senior DM role and Regional Manager role in a realistic amount of time (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • They don't hire within the company, the highest you could become is property manager (in 135 reviews)

• The District Managers don't even know how to do the basics (in 92 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An Objective Review"

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Objectively speaking – this is the best company I have ever worked for. It is a company and management structure that rewards hard work and people who do the right thing. Integrity and hard work are priceless and the standard daily.
    One of the best parts of the job is that while everyone who works here is competitive with one another, there is a sense of team work I have never experienced before. If you need support – it is there for you if you ask.
    A lot of people talk about the growth potential that PS offers, and I am living proof of how successful you can be here. I have been with the company for just over 3 years and have been successfully promoted multiple times! You won’t find that kind of growth potential in normal retail hours.
    That is another piece of the equation as well – the work life balance is superior to anything I have experience before in retail.
    The best part of the job is you control your own destiny. Hard work, dedication, personal development, and always striving for more from the team you manage are characteristics that are cherished and rewarded here at PS.

Cons

The workload at times can be heavy. It can come in waves, and without a strong work ethic to push through and resolve efficiently there is a tendency to get bogged down in administrative work versus coaching and training staff. Being able to push through and get back to the field is the key.

Advice to Management

The general turn around time for hiring in both the field staff and DM role is becoming progressively more challenging in our improving economy - any changes to stream line hiring for both of these roles would help reduce administrative work and allow more time in the field training and coaching field staff versus constant recruiting efforts.

2. "Corporate"

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Public Storage has a great company culture. The people are great to work with and management is approachable and open to ideas. The balance sheet is strong and the company continues to grown and expand.

Cons

The workload can be heavy, but it does tend to balance out.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the modernization of the properties.

3. "Corporate Finance & Accounting"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People, People, People, People, People.....are the best. That's what's kept me with the company 25 years. Can't imagine working anywhere else.

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

"A transforming model Enterprise"

Current Employee - Enterprise Architect in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Architect in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong and knowledgeable workforce with low turnaround in HQ.
    Excellent work environment and team
    Great vision, strategy backed by excellent growth and stability
    Ever encouraging / empowering strong leadership
    Personally, love the opportunity I've to build next generation technical architecture to help management make right decisions and drive business in right direction

Cons

Not fully paperless yet!
    Needs technology related restructuring
    Don't see frequent Company news / Management updates
    Need to cultivate modern culture of building team/personnel networking

Advice to Management

Go paperless!
    Invest /bring in more technologies to empower field personnel
    Encourage "breaking the ice" by adding more fun activities among cross teams collaboration (lunches, games, seminars etc.)
    Shop for better insurance premiums
    Add TVs (they're cheap) to provide PS updates/news

5. "Relief manager"

I worked at Public Storage full-time

Pros

Super chill job with lots of alone time

Cons

Could be boring if you need to be stimulated to stay at a job

"Sr. Tax Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Tax Analyst in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Analyst in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Public Storage is a solid financially secure company. The financial decisions Sr. Management have made to invest in acquiring and developing properties insures growth of the company and stability for employees.

Public Storage values its subject matter experts and the contributions these individuals bring to the organization to help the company maintain its financial position in the market place.

Additionally, the company does well in promoting from within. This is evident through the advancement of many District Managers to Sr and Regional DM positions.

Cons

The company could offer better benefit packages to employees that include long term care. There are no company or corporate events to increase team building and company unity.

Advice to Management

Continue the model for growth.

7. "Happily @ Public Storage"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company - Great company, solid financials, quality product and portfolio, high-integrity execution of the business plan.

The people – Hard working, tireless work ethic, relentless attention to detail; nobody “above” any specific task when it needs to get done. Longevity and loyalty to the company permeate all levels of staff and leadership.

The facility (corporate office) – Well maintained and recently renovated interior/exterior, great parking, ease of access from the 5 Fwy.

The work – Wildly diverse and on a scope and scale this is tough to complain about. You will not be bored..! The pace is fast and exciting, no 2 days alike…

Bottom Line

If you’re looking for a challenge in your career, this is a great place to work; if you’re looking to coast and hide among the crowd, don’t waste your (and their) time. This is a lean running, rock solid company with amazing people and a tireless drive to be the very best in the industry; so far, for me, it’s been great ride…!

Cons

The company – Given the legacy and power of the brand, being at the top, there is little time to rest and enjoy the fruits of your labor. The next threat, urgent project, initiative or opportunity is always just around the corner. You always have to be on your toes and ready to go in a different direction if needed.

The people – Like any company this well-established, new ideas can be harder to introduce than what might be observed at a younger upstart company; there can be growing pains when giving up the “old way” of doing something. The fortunate thing here is that in contrast, leadership does not fall into this category; there is a constant pressure to reinvent as needed to stay at the forefront.

The facility (corporate office) – The location is freeway convenient, but isn’t immediately adjacent to any shops/restaurants. Pack a lunch or plan a short drive over into Burbank or Glendale. (note, the in-office lunch room, coffee and break areas are clean and functional; and don’t forget bagel Fridays!)

The work – It’s not always predictable and it can be discouraging not being able to gain momentum when tides change. If you are the type that needs an ultra-stable plan and very predictable work, this may not be a fit for you.

Advice to Management

Keep driving the brand and growing the portfolio; exciting times, every day!

8. "Inventory Control Coordinator"

Current Employee - Inventory Control Coordinator in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Inventory Control Coordinator in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and salary, as well as flexible hours

Cons

Only three paid holidays during the year

9. "Loved Public Storage, I only left because they do not promote to District Manager from wothin."

Former Employee - Site Property Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Site Property Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Public Storage (More than 8 years)

Pros

Loved the support from upper management. Great hours, no nights! I was awarded trips and bonuses for exceeding standards.

Cons

Unable to advance to upper management from a Property Manager Status.

"Approachable Stepping Stone"

Current Employee - Call Center Sales Agent in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Call Center Sales Agent in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work for Public Storage are the people, the pay, the hours, and the job security.

The people that I work with are like family to me, they are very open and honest and caring. I have never worked for a company where management was so approachable.

The pay is really good for a person with no college degree. I have worked in call centers for a long time and my hourly rate here is significantly higher that my last job plus you earn commission on reservations and show ups. The earning potential for a driven sales agent is limitless here.

The hours...It is a call center that services the whole nation so of course they need to schedule staff for the majority of the day but if you talk to your sales manager about what you need and you are honest with them they will help you.

Job security. Storage is a necessity in the USA and it is amazing how many people need it so Public Storage is NOT going anywhere! With that said, the main reason the job feels and IS more secure than other call centers I have worked for is because of management. This is a multi-billion dollar company but working here, with the people, you would never guess that it is so big because my coworkers have become my 2nd family and with communication I know my job will be here for as long as I want to do it.

Cons

There really isn't a downside for me. My last job was so stressful for $4 less an hour that being here is better than any job at this skill level I can imagine.

Advice to Management

I already mentioned how approachable management is and I can't stress that enough but what I really like is that I have never felt micro-managed. Any time I am coached on something I am told what I am doing well along with what I can do better.

Public Storage Response

Jun 7, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your feedback.