Public Storage Reviews | Glassdoor

Public Storage Reviews

Updated August 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is better than most companies at the DM level (in 36 reviews)

• Starting as a District Manager, you can advance into a Senior DM role and Regional Manager role in a realistic amount of time (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • They don't hire within the company, the highest you could become is property manager (in 133 reviews)

• The District Managers don't even know how to do the basics (in 90 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An Objective Review"

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Objectively speaking – this is the best company I have ever worked for. It is a company and management structure that rewards hard work and people who do the right thing. Integrity and hard work are priceless and the standard daily.
    One of the best parts of the job is that while everyone who works here is competitive with one another, there is a sense of team work I have never experienced before. If you need support – it is there for you if you ask.
    A lot of people talk about the growth potential that PS offers, and I am living proof of how successful you can be here. I have been with the company for just over 3 years and have been successfully promoted multiple times! You won’t find that kind of growth potential in normal retail hours.
    That is another piece of the equation as well – the work life balance is superior to anything I have experience before in retail.
    The best part of the job is you control your own destiny. Hard work, dedication, personal development, and always striving for more from the team you manage are characteristics that are cherished and rewarded here at PS.

Cons

The workload at times can be heavy. It can come in waves, and without a strong work ethic to push through and resolve efficiently there is a tendency to get bogged down in administrative work versus coaching and training staff. Being able to push through and get back to the field is the key.

Advice to Management

The general turn around time for hiring in both the field staff and DM role is becoming progressively more challenging in our improving economy - any changes to stream line hiring for both of these roles would help reduce administrative work and allow more time in the field training and coaching field staff versus constant recruiting efforts.

2. "Public Storage the Real Storage Experts"

Current Employee - On Site Property Manager in Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - On Site Property Manager in Topeka, KS

Pros

This company is in very good shape financially. They take very good care of all the employees even just the property and relief managers.

Cons

This company like to change its mind on how things are to be run frequently. At times it can be difficult to keep track of all the changes.

Advice to Management

The upper management is always willing to help out when needed.

3. "Overall this job is good."

Pros

The pros of the job are that they compensate pretty good in my opinion for what they ask you to do on the job.

Cons

The cons of the job are that they are very micro managed. Coming from a retailer that gave more freedom to impact the business this has been a negative.

4. "Easy job with proper time management"

Former Employee - Relief Manager in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Relief Manager in Marietta, GA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Travel opportunities. Individual work within a team. Ability to work inside and out

Cons

Must sometimes lie to customers to meet sales goals

Advice to Management

None

5. "Career that has been incredibly rewarding personally and professionally"

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Grew career from entry level DM.
    Able to create, build and develop teams, while developing more and more responsibility and skills..
    Excellent business model, almost no debt, and consistently growing stock. I wish more companies were as financially astute as PS, and wish I would have held onto more of the stock.
    Performance driven company, that has extremely high business integrity. Always trying to get better, and stay ahead of the competition. Low turnover of employees at all levels, even at the property level.

Cons

IS Systems can always be better.

Little room for advancement for the property employees.

Advice to Management

Keep performance driven culture, but share more of the profits with the field level employees.

6. "Great company, great opportunities"

Current Employee - Regional Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Never before have I worked for a company that places such a high value in fostering a positive work/life balance.

Teamwork plays a big part in the success of this company. It's nice to know that when you need a little help, your peers will always be there to assist you.

There are endless opportunities for advancement. I have been with Public Storage for five years. During that time I have worked hard and have been promoted twice. Hard work and dedication are valued and rewarded.

Cons

You have to possess strong time management skills to keep up with the work-load and fast pace of this industry. Flexibility and adaptability are essential in this company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing...it's working!

7. "My career with Public Storage"

Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the best things working for Public Storage is they care in customer service. They provide the best training to make you the storage expert, between product knowledge, customer service, policy and safety.

Cons

One of the down sides is holiday office hours

8. "Great place to grow and develop"

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Joining Public Storage has been a rewarding experience for me. The “team” environment that exists at every level of the organization has made this an easy transition for me from my prior job. The initial training I received and the support of Senior Management has helped prepare me for whatever challenges may lie ahead. The freedom to try new ideas within my district as well as coach and develop my property managers into solid performers has been a very rewarding experience for me. I also see there is great potential for advancement based on me and my abilities and because of these possibilities I look forward to learning and teaching something new every day. I look forward to continuing my career with Public Storage and would recommend this Company to everyone.

Cons

The technology used is a little behind the times and would like to see an improvement in this area.

9. "Public Storage has performance based culture that is very interested my professional developmental growth."

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Public Storage has a great work/life balance, a competitive pay structure, and a fun environment. The leadership within the organization is inspiring to me.

Cons

There are limited resources when it comes to training materials but there is a strong culture of supervisory coaching down to the next level, etc.

Advice to Management

Nothing at this time. Thank you PS.

"Great Company, Great Career Path, Great Leadership"

Current Employee - Senior District Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior District Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with thoughtful decisions on growth, development and advancement opportunities. If you are driven for success and the ability to develop others and see results from your daily activities, this is the place for you. Senior leadership is driven by success at the property level, providing the tools needed to drive performance and give customers a first rate experience in our industry.
    I have been willing to dedicate the time and resources to build a great team. With a great team beside me, we continue to drive success. The company recognizes these success' and rewards us for the hard work and dedication.

Cons

Task oriented job management can be a struggle to complete at times, but continued focus on process improvements and technology enhancements will allow improvements to work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Continue to drive our business through growth and focus on development of our team. Rewards at every level of employment continue to drive performance. The more we listen to the street, the better we become.