Public Storage Reviews | Glassdoor

Public Storage Reviews

Updated August 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is better than most companies at the DM level (in 36 reviews)

• Starting as a District Manager, you can advance into a Senior DM role and Regional Manager role in a realistic amount of time (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • They don't hire within the company, the highest you could become is property manager (in 133 reviews)

• The District Managers don't even know how to do the basics (in 90 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An Objective Review"

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Objectively speaking – this is the best company I have ever worked for. It is a company and management structure that rewards hard work and people who do the right thing. Integrity and hard work are priceless and the standard daily.
    One of the best parts of the job is that while everyone who works here is competitive with one another, there is a sense of team work I have never experienced before. If you need support – it is there for you if you ask.
    A lot of people talk about the growth potential that PS offers, and I am living proof of how successful you can be here. I have been with the company for just over 3 years and have been successfully promoted multiple times! You won’t find that kind of growth potential in normal retail hours.
    That is another piece of the equation as well – the work life balance is superior to anything I have experience before in retail.
    The best part of the job is you control your own destiny. Hard work, dedication, personal development, and always striving for more from the team you manage are characteristics that are cherished and rewarded here at PS.

Cons

The workload at times can be heavy. It can come in waves, and without a strong work ethic to push through and resolve efficiently there is a tendency to get bogged down in administrative work versus coaching and training staff. Being able to push through and get back to the field is the key.

Advice to Management

The general turn around time for hiring in both the field staff and DM role is becoming progressively more challenging in our improving economy - any changes to stream line hiring for both of these roles would help reduce administrative work and allow more time in the field training and coaching field staff versus constant recruiting efforts.

"Long Hours, Overworked, Low Pay, No Respect"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Birmingham, AL

Pros

If you are a property manager, you get to spend time in the office alone for the most part. This should be an asset for someone who is more or less an introvert.

Cons

Much too much work to do in the office and outside on the property. Policies are always changing and more and more work (paper work and physical work) is demanded. It's hard to get time off even when you have accrued vacation time because people are always quitting making it necessary for schedules to change. Not unusual to work 7-10 days in a row before getting a day off and the management schedules time so that time off pay is minimal despite hours put in.

Advice to Management

Treat property managers with respect and provide additional help to assit them. Listen to and take under advisement suggestions made by property managers.

"Don't work for Public Storage."

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

Pros

You work alone most of the time.

Cons

The bogus "medical plan" for hourly workers. Upper management are provided excellent medical benifits. Can't figure out why there's a difference between "us" and "them".... No room for growth. Most managers are forced to live on-site, taking a MAJOR paycut. The company does not care for their employee's safety. Nothing gets repaired on the properties in a timely manner. Customer complaints are basically ignored until the customer gets tired of complaining and goes away. Employees are required to make afterhours bank drops off the clock. We were offered stock options in company stock, but they quickly cut that out!

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees, i.e. we need insurance!

"Don't work here."

Current Employee - Relief Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in New York, NY

Pros

None that I can think of. They actually have some good and decent people working for them, but they are trapped in the horrible Public Storage culture.

Cons

Lousy pay compared to the competition. Benefits are a joke. Management tells us to lie to our customers and in the same sentence tell us if confronted they will deny it. Some of their business practices are unethical and probably border on illegal. They cut corners which at times compromises our safety. I find it hard to believe that upper management is not aware of these and many other issues.

Advice to Management

Show some decency,compassion and respect to your field personal who help fill your pockets. This is a stressful job and you guys are clueless to the fact. You guys want more and more from us and at the same time take more and more from us.

"Public Storage is the worse place I ever worked"

Former Employee - Was! Property Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Was! Property Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

A paycheck is the only good reason to work at Public Storage...(while looking for a better job with competition and also get experience)

Cons

Bad or next to nothing medical...poor raises....poor working condition....they dont care if you have a life outside the company...lies...they tell you when hired you will work one weekend a month......after 5 years working for this company I worked every weekend...!!! micro management to the max...DM's dont give you credit (after working for the company as a property manager) for 5 years you know how to do the job....they hire DM" that know nothing about the job...when you ask a question the DM calls another employee???????? Come on the DM should know how do do his or her job.........very low pay.compared to other storage companies....very low..............also they dont call customers back that have a complaint

Advice to Management

Be more of a people person....we all have lives outside of work.....tell the employees when they do a good job....

"A company that his highly successful and profitable, at the total expense of it's employees."

Former Employee - District Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - District Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits. (as a DM) Very good bonus's, and preferred stock, but Don't get lulled in by the golden fish hook.

Cons

Complete disregard for one's work life balance. really a 7 day a week job. very common for the customer service department in California to call your home at 8pm to 9pm sending you back out on the job for ridiculous problems. They pay their reliefs and property manager very poorly, which makes it difficult to recruit and retain good people. I was called at 10pm on Christmas eve to go to work, because a fire alarm was going off. The stories could go on and on and on.
    50% district manager turnover from year to year. 8 years for stock to vest, they count on you leaving before you own it.

Advice to Management

The culture has been a tension convention before I was there, is now, and will be in the future, unless you take a close look at the demands you place on your DM's
    I was doing well, I left for a better opportunity, but I would never recommend PS to anyone.

"You can do better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Set schedule, ease of time off requests

Cons

Upper management, want lots from employees and not willing to increase pay or better benefits

Advice to Management

Offer advancement from within, get an outside maintenance crew to help managers provide better service, better pay, restructuring of bonus program

"Think twice before taking a position with this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Being able to get time off when needed.

Cons

Advertisement stated that I would be working 40 hours a week - in reality it was 35 hours a week. I only worked for the company for 2 months but it became very clear that there was a great deal of disrespect amongst the employees. District meetings were thick with tension and the gossip that occurred on a daily basis was amazing. My property manager would actually have 2 phones on speaker (2 different stores) so they could sit and gossip. There truly is no "team" within this company. It is all about the money and no concern for the employees. Throwing one another "under the bus" seems to be a very active sport at this company. Also the inability to take responsiblity for one's behavior is very prevelant.

There is nowhere to eat lunch - maybe a broom closet with a microwave if you are lucky. Other than that, one must eat in his/her vehicle or go to a restaurant. During the summer months, the air conditioner stopped working - the district manager decided not to fix it because of cost and that he considered it the employees' fault that it was not working. at times the office was close to 90 degrees!!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with the same respect you expect from them.

"Go some where else"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Newark, NJ

Pros

Good place to use as a stepping stone to other storage companies. Will can learn on how not to treat employees.

Cons

Horrible work environment. A lot of stress and you are never appreciated. The company is very cheap and shows zero regard for employee safety and well being. Only come here if you can not find a job anywhere else. The turn over here is like a revolving door.

Advice to Management

I find it hard to believe senior management is unaware of how property workers are treated.

"A Warning. Go in with your eyes open."

Current Employee - Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Stepping stone. Independent work. On site housing. Goal Oriented. Simple work. Resume and contact building. An ideal place to learn the basics of the self storage industry.

Cons

The company has decreased real income to field employees for the last 5 years. The company culture is "WASTY" (We are smarter than you!) Employees are unable to take initiative to address customer needs and then reprimanded when customers complain. Facilities are not maintained because these expenditures are a part of the compensation plan for District and Regional Mgt. ergo the routine items that should be addressed are put off until they become major problems. There is no program for promotions or development from within.

Advice to Management

Empower and train your managers to be managers. Eiminate the extra levels of MGT. Invest and pay your front line employees, thereby reducing turnover. Offer incentives on rentals and collection that are fair and attainable to each employee based on individual performance. The "Team" concept does not work when your culture/strategy emphasizes working alone at a property.