Public Storage Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • Work-life balance is better than most companies at the DM level (in 35 reviews)

• Starting as a District Manager, you can advance into a Senior DM role and Regional Manager role in a realistic amount of time (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Cannot get promoted any higher than Property Manager if you start in the field (in 128 reviews)

• The District Managers don't even know how to do the basics (in 87 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An Objective Review"

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Objectively speaking – this is the best company I have ever worked for. It is a company and management structure that rewards hard work and people who do the right thing. Integrity and hard work are priceless and the standard daily.
    One of the best parts of the job is that while everyone who works here is competitive with one another, there is a sense of team work I have never experienced before. If you need support – it is there for you if you ask.
    A lot of people talk about the growth potential that PS offers, and I am living proof of how successful you can be here. I have been with the company for just over 3 years and have been successfully promoted multiple times! You won’t find that kind of growth potential in normal retail hours.
    That is another piece of the equation as well – the work life balance is superior to anything I have experience before in retail.
    The best part of the job is you control your own destiny. Hard work, dedication, personal development, and always striving for more from the team you manage are characteristics that are cherished and rewarded here at PS.

Cons

The workload at times can be heavy. It can come in waves, and without a strong work ethic to push through and resolve efficiently there is a tendency to get bogged down in administrative work versus coaching and training staff. Being able to push through and get back to the field is the key.

Advice to Management

The general turn around time for hiring in both the field staff and DM role is becoming progressively more challenging in our improving economy - any changes to stream line hiring for both of these roles would help reduce administrative work and allow more time in the field training and coaching field staff versus constant recruiting efforts.

2. "Property manager"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job you know the hours are always the same.

Cons

They don't hire within the company, the highest you could become is property manager. The pay rate should be higher given all the things you do.

Advice to Management

Train, retrain, and making sure that you give praise to your employees.

3. "Did not meet expectations"

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours, ok pay. If you come from 2nd tier retailers, rental cars or fast food this job might be a step up for you.

Cons

Extreme micro management. Weak middle management. Very ridged scripted company. If you have leadership ability and critical thinking skills I recommend looking for a different opportunity

Advice to Management

Branch out to different industries if you want to improve the quality of your staff. Read Managing Employee Turnover by Allen and Bryant. You do a good job attracting talent and a poor job retaining it.

4. "Relief Manager"

I worked at Public Storage full-time

Pros

Set Hours, Work Independently, Decent Insurance Plans, Easy Work.

Cons

Low Pay, Work in different store each day a lot of times further a drive than its worth, Untrustworthy Coworkers that either don't show up or "borrow" from petty cash or both, Have to pick up other employees slack and everyone blames whoever isn't there, Help line shoves any customer issues back to store managers or relief managers who can't fix the problems at hand or they just transfer calls back to the office so the customers can't get through to help line, repairs don't get fixed in reasonable amount of time and customers get mad at relief/store manager who are unable to do anything about issues.

Advice to Management

Hire more trustworthy and reliable employees and train employees to be more respectful with better customer service skills.

5. "Salary decent"

I worked at Public Storage full-time

Pros

A lot of room to grow. Great training.

Cons

Should be getting paid more with the amount of responsibility required.

6. "Awesome rewarding job!!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love that the management cares about each employee - my boss Gary Klein is amazing!! Considerate and works with family situations. Many extra perks as well - contests with awards, great hours and good food catered in often as a "thank you"!!

Cons

No cons :) Great money, benefits and a comfortable enjoyable environment to work in !

7. "Customer Service"

I have been working at Public Storage full-time

Pros

Awesome work environment, there's opportunity to grow within the company if you do your job well. There's a lot of opportunities to pick up extra hours as well as to leave early if the workload permits. Management is very helpful and always willing to help out. Coworkers are kind of your second family and it makes the job easier.

Cons

A very high call volume in the summer (busy season, calls back to back) nothing that can't be handled though.

8. "Home away from home"

Current Employee - Call Center Supervisor
    Current Employee - Call Center Supervisor

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Day one everyone at PS made me feel welcomed. It feels like a family, you are treated as an individual and not as a number. Great opportunities for those that are willing to work for it.

Cons

No cons, only wish I found PS sooner.

9. "Public Storage is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Support Team Coordinator in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Support Team Coordinator in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work at the Public Storage call center and it is one of the best places I have ever worked for. The culture here is very positive and empowering. Working here I found a good mix of liking the work that I do as well as the people that I work with. This is an environment promoting opportunity, growth and recognition.

Cons

No more shift bids. Even though agents can still submit requests to have their shifts changed (which are granted often) and performance is weighed into that equation, I found shift bids very motivational, gratifying and fun.

10. "All Things are Possible"

Current Employee - Call Center Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Call Center Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is so many pros about working for such a great company. Since day one I was greeted by all management with a smile and open arms to feel at home while I am at work. The atmosphere is positive and encouraging. There is room for internal advancement and growth. I began as a sales agent and now I am a Call Center Supervisor. Public Storage is my second family, and its an honor to work with so many great people.

Cons

There is no cons to be said.

Advice to Management

It is an honor to be apart of Management, and continuing the great success of this wonderful company.

Public Storage Response

Jun 7, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your feedback.