Public Storage Reviews | Glassdoor

Public Storage Reviews

Updated May 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Work-life balance is better than most companies at the DM level (in 35 reviews)

• Starting as a District Manager, you can advance into a Senior DM role and Regional Manager role in a realistic amount of time (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Cannot get promoted any higher than Property Manager if you start in the field (in 124 reviews)

• We do a great job of making that week incredible for all of our district managers and above (in 85 reviews)

"District Manager"

Current Employee - District Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - District Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If one comes from a retail background, it does offer most weekends off and the ability to take time off around the holidays.

Cons

It is a far from an engaging business that provides little by way of personal satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Give more ownership of the business to your field leadership

2. "It's an OK Job"

Former Employee - Property Manager in North Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Property Manager in North Brunswick, NJ

Pros

Good hours, work outside, not micro managed, good starter

Cons

No room for advancement after Property Manger, raises are not equal to work performed

Advice to Management

Look within your company for good management, you may be surprised at what you find

"Great choice for the talented multi-unit manager"

Current Employee - District Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - District Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

From my first day of training to present day, Public Storage has provided me the support and development to grow into the best leader I can be. This is a continuous journey that never stagnates because all businesses grow through change and opportunity. I have had 2 supervisors while in position. Both were promoted from my current role. Both are still with the company. Both are highly successful. Both chosen for their role to support me in mine. I have a A+ team operating my properties due to the incredible hiring support the organization provides coupled with the continuous focus on training and development. My performance is graded on my ability to improve my business from the prior year and whether I achieved success using the right behaviors and processes. I'm now putting my children through college with the help of stocks grants I earn every year. If given the chance to chose all over again, I'd definitely give a resounding YES.

Cons

District complexity varies widely. There is no way to avoid this. Manager competency is consistently well matched with district complexity. Adjusting the pay, bonus or stock grant scale would be a suggestion.

Advice to Management

Bringing the entire company of brands together annually to one venue is most effective in my eyes. Keep doing that.

"constant turnover"

Former Employee - Relief Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Relief Manager in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

good benefits if you can afford them

Cons

No promoting from with in, scripts that mislead customers, heavy physical work cleaning abandoned goods with no help, egotistical upper management, low wages, yearly 2% pay increase, unattainable bonus structure and lack of injury reporting. Minimal and drawn out repairs to facilities, required to rent units with known issues like water intrusion, mold, falling insulation ect. Inexperienced DM's that are given freedom to implement changes to policies and procedures with no concern or understanding of long term goals. Requiring meeting a growing number of metrics including selling locks insurance, merchandise, collections, attaining social reviews, customer email addresses, setting up auto pay,ect. Constant changes with lack of additional training. I could go on but after reading other reviews I think viewers to avoid this company.

Advice to Management

Listen to your property managers, they know their customers and property. Pay better wages to the property managers instead of putting all dollars into upper management and purchasing more facilities when you say you can't afford to take care of current problems with existing facilities.

"District Manager- Great Position!"

Current Employee - District Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - District Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoy my position as a District Manager at Public Storage. #1- I love the competitive environment. Everyday I get to motivate, coach and train my team to reach daily and monthly goals. I enjoy being able to see where my performance stacks up against all DMs in the company each month. #2- Work life balance- I can honestly say I enjoy going to work everyday and I NEVER work after 7pm daily. Coming from Enterprise Rent-A-Car, I hated Monday Morning. Now, I enjoy waking up and going to work everyday. #3- Coaching process- I love being able to interact and coach my team one on one 3-4 days per week. Our structured process sets myself and my team up for success and I like the impact I am able to have daily with each team member.

Cons

The hours are great! Not opening til 9:30am and closing at 6:00pm daily is definitely great for Work, Like, balance. The only downside is being open 7 days a week and most holidays, so you always need to be available. With that being said, the better you coach, train and improve your team the less you need to be involved daily.

Advice to Management

Tough question! The only suggestion would be a formal mentor program for both Top performing Property Managers and District Managers. While the company provides great resources for all employees for advice and training, having a formal mentor program would allow many top performing employees an opportunity to know and learn from other Top Upper Management employees in the company.

7. "Relief Manager"

Former Employee - Relief Manager in Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - Relief Manager in Long Island City, NY

I worked at Public Storage full-time

Pros

The best reasons to work at public storage is the customer friendly environment, the workers, the managers are very helpful and respectful. The pay is pretty good.

Cons

Some of the downfalls of working at public storage is the scheduling, the change of hours of operation. Also the maintenance is all done by relief managers and some of the work is too excessive for just us relief managers.

8. "Regional Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

People work for people. The Executive Leadership Team I work for are exceptional. The employees I work with are incredible!

Cons

No cons, do yourself a favor and inquire about Public Storage opportunities today!

9. "District Manager position"

Current Employee - District Manager in South Florida, FL
    Current Employee - District Manager in South Florida, FL

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management team in place to help you succeed with an open door policy. Performance based job that creates competition to bring the best out of people.

Cons

Hiring relief managers can be a challenge with the low starting pay rate. Successful reliefs and property managers are recruited to higher paying jobs.

10. "A Great Place to Move Your Career Forward"

Current Employee - Regional Vice President in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Regional Vice President in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity at this company. Sustained growth for PS is secure and there is a strong need to develop people into the upper levels of management. This is a place where you can break through to VP level in 3-5 years if you enter the company and perform. You are rewarded and recognized for how well your team executes their job functions, not just metric performance. As a result those managing challenging markets are essentially on an equal playing field with those in less challenging areas. The operating hours also limit the amount of urgent situations that arise after hours, making strong work life balance very possible.

Cons

The responsibility and workload is manageable but significant. You can get buried quickly if you fall behind or run into unforeseen challenges. Strong time management is required.

Advice to Management

The hiring process for DM and PM seems to be taking progressively more time. We need to look at new ways to make this process more efficient without lowering standards for the talent we bring in.

11. "District Manager Review"

Current Employee - District Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - District Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of pros to working at Public Storage including: work live balance, advancement opportunities, competitive pay/ bonus program, excellent peer support and most importantly a District Manager at Public Storage is home every night because of minimal travel requirements.

Cons

The cons are similar to any retail environment. Hiring top talent and retaining top talent is often a challenge. Public Storage does a great job of training their Property Managers to be excellent in sales and customer service, which often leads them to finding a higher paying sales position within the retail environment.