Public Surplus Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Support Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative

I worked at Public Surplus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working from home is great if you can handle it. Pay was good.

Cons

Work life balance is not the best. Only five vacation days a year.

Advice to Management

Give employees a minimum of two weeks vacation. Help them if they are struggling as well. There is more to having and keeping great employees than money. Listen to your employees in the front line too. They are the heartbeat of your company and know what is a good or necessary change.

"Stuck In Perpetual Startup"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Provo, UT

I worked at Public Surplus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being able to work remotely. Decent pay for those just starting their careers. Those are the only pros to working here.

Cons

The Public Group/Public Surplus is a small company that is stuck in a startup mentality. The owner is a closed minded, reclusive dictator with no vision. Day to day roles of employees change frequently with no warning and no compensation for added responsibilities. The company's programmers barely speak English, which results in odd terms being used on the website (like "Motor Pool" instead of "Vehicles"). No formal ongoing or initial training is provided. Benefits are terrible. Culture is one of fear.

Advice to Management

Do something with the company other than let it waste away! Get a bigger footprint in one of your product's niche before devoting resources to other products. LISTEN to your employees and encourage feedback. Update your Public Surplus website - It's extremely dated.

"Demo Scheduler"

Pros

Do not know of any pros about this company.

Cons

Incomplete information and inaccuracy in delineating the requirements of the position and equipment, last-minute changes to how salaries are paid, incomplete information given on calculation of earnings, poor communication in telephone calls not being returned for more than a day.

Advice to Management

Adherence to accuracy of job descriptions, including the need to know exactly what information is being given by people charged with making contacts and following up with contacts.

"Don't Work Here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I worked at Public Surplus full-time

Pros

They bribe employees to stay, so you'll get perks every once in a while. But it's not worth it

Cons

Everything: 'Management', owners, communication (or lack thereof), the office itself is disgusting and never gets cleaned.

Advice to Management

Make an appearance once in a while, try to connect with your employees/MEET them!

"Public Surplus"

Pros

None, just nothing good will come of this place

Cons

It was the most bizarre work experience of my life. If I could give anyone advice I would tell them to pass over this company and keep searching, keep in mind if something sounds too good to be true it is. RUN! And before you even consider sending in your resume, don't it's a terrible idea and the worst you have had yet, just stop it!

"National Sales Rrpresentative"

Former Employee - National School District Sales Representative in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - National School District Sales Representative in Orlando, FL

Pros

Work life balance and decent pay. Work is remote. Nice group of people to work for and with. Innovative product.

Cons

Going through restructuring so sometimes communication between remote reps and management can be a challenge but the company is stable overall. Just be patient as the continue to get things in order.

Advice to Management

Find creative ways to keep the communication lines open for new reps especially if they work remotely. Keep new reps engaged and provide ongoing training opportunities for the new hires in the first 90 days.

"You wear many hats here and none seem to fit just right"

Current Employee - Sales, Support, Customer Service in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Sales, Support, Customer Service in Provo, UT

Pros

We do give have a nice work life balance. They also are very helpful with new employes through orientation and onbarding.

Cons

Our small company is trying to grow and it seems our eyes are bigger than our stomach.
    We are increasing our employee numbers and the return on investment is not occuring as quickly as we had hoped. We are looking to trim the fat and it seems to be if you are not the right "fit" for provo you are easily dismissed. But if you "believe" in the system you can do no wrong even if you are not producing results.

Advice to Management

Put trust in "all" of our employees not just the "believers" of the provo way. Its a big world out there and to compete in our industry you need "all" types of people.

"Good Company for Recent Grads"

Pros

The company is great for recent graduates and college students. They are very flexible with schedule and have great tools and training to make sure you are comfortable with what is expected of you.

Cons

There is not a lot of room for growth within the company. Health benefits are at a minimum. Work can seem uninteresting at times.