Publishing Concepts Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Drew Clancy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Okay pay, Awesome work culture, Nice people (in 6 reviews)

• Management will also let you work from home after you've proven that you're a top performer and can be trusted (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They say that you will have a good work-life balance, but that is far from the truth (in 4 reviews)

• Now they will you that you will be working from home, but after 6 months (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"PCI's been my home for 12 years!!"

Current Employee - Sales Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Publishing Concepts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Promote from within, paid sabbatical, tuition reimbursement, learning organization, industry leader, talented management team, family, culture, and work you can believe in.

Cons

None -- I love working here. I have grown professionally and personally as a result of PCI. I have friends and family who continue to tell me "you have something special up here". I truly believe we do.

Advice to Management

Let's keep our learner mindset and continue advancing the mission of our nation's colleges and universities. We are making a big impact within the Advancement world.

Publishing Concepts Response

Jul 25, 2017 – Vice President

...And we hope that PCI will be your home for many more years! Your review is so honest and heart-felt. We are making a big impact due to the hard work, energy and trust shown by you and other... More

2. "Best Places To Work"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Publishing Concepts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Starting Salary. Great Commissions. Full Benefits (Health/Dental/Vision/401(k) with Company Match, Paid Time Off, Holidays Off

Cons

ISO Profit Sharing at the end of the year should be shared.

Advice to Management

Have a little lenience when it comes to people's personal issues concerning scheduling.

3. "A good company with nice people"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Publishing Concepts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Okay pay, Awesome work culture, Nice people.

Cons

Medical benefits aren't great for families.

Advice to Management

Improve the company benefits.

"Best company I’ve ever worked for"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Publishing Concepts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company culture is amazing. The company is small enough for the higher ups to know your name and actually be familiar with you, and they truly care about each and every employee which is rare. They work hard to make sure each employee is developing into the best they can be. You learn a lot about sales and are able to talk to a bunch of different people during the day as well. The job is a great confidence builder, and you can earn a lot in commission once you get the hang of it.

Cons

It’s all on the phone all day, similar scripts, so it’s repetive.

5. "Best place to work in Dallas."

I have been working at Publishing Concepts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work people are fsntastic.

Cons

Non really to talk about.

"Believe the Negative Reviews; Positive ones are internal Propoganda"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Publishing Concepts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Treat you like a star during training. Red carpet, lunch, awards...the works

Cons

Micromanagement by tatted-up, non-educated, pompous folks who drank the Kool-Aid. Not a college degree among the lot. PCI rips off vets with the product they sell and it appears that the over 70 age group is the target market.

Advice to Management

Stop targeting vets and the elderly. Yes they buy the most because they don't understand the scam products they are purchasing. after we the reps have gotten them to "like" us so much that they feel bad saying no. They can't even read that micro-sized print in the $300+ package they buy and you know it!

7. "Not So Perfect"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Publishing Concepts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Coffee
    Nice Security Guard
    Close to home
    3rd Floor Breakroom away from Office
    Free water

Cons

Micromanaging
    Terrible Management
    Drone Coworkers
    Poor advice
    Terrible Coffee

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging, listen to your employees, set up a Employee Concerns Office, help employees feel like they matter.

"Inside Sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Publishing Concepts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to learn sales experience due to the various people you come across in different campaigns if you’re early into your work career. Culture was initially great but progressively has gotten worse.

Cons

Your shift time can have a large outcome on performance. A top performer for the company, generated over 200k. Showed zero respect for yearly performance, after a couple of a slow weeks during the worst quarter of the company & was placed on a plan.Absolutely no room for mobilization in the company. They do not value employees with Degrees, which should be a prerequisite. The morale of the office was much better before the acquisition, office seemed more vibrant. Raises are extremely small to unheard of.

"Inside Sales"

I worked at Publishing Concepts full-time

Pros

Incoming sales calls. No prospecting. No weekends

Cons

Training could be more professional. Bonus or commission doesn't reflex amount hours put into the job.

Advice to Management

Training modular could be better with closer floor managers observation,

"Okay position if you don’t have plans to further your career"

Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Publishing Concepts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, free coffee (when the machine is working), moderately acceptable pay. Not an awful position for those who are comfortable with a high stress, no promotion position.

Cons

I want to remain as objective as possible in this, so some of these may appear as understandable for a company, but please know this is just the way it is:

Break time is provided and available for use at any time, but is very closely monitored to the second by direct supervisors.
    Cell phones are not permitted on the sales floor (though everyone just uses them sneakily)
    There are a multitude of campaigns by which to sell the products, however basic information regarding said campaigns are very hard to come by, even from direct supervisors. A short bullet-point email may be sent regarding them, however reading them will have to be on your time or at the cost of your break time.
    Computer use is strictly for email, office communication software, and sales program. You are unable to even do basic research regarding what you’re talking about to the customer.
    In meetings (which happen frequently or infrequently you’re told good news and never “bad news.” For example, we know the company is in debt, but not how much or to whom and for what reason. We know the NPS (internet business rating) is very low (single digits or of 100) but not how that system works or even how to better it.
    There is no direct deposit. I’ve been with the company for over a year and have been told direct deposit is coming for the entire time.
    There are no pay raises, it’s a base pay plus commission for sales, even for employees that have been with the company for years and years don’t receive incremental pay increases.
    The turnover rate is very high, probably the highest I’ve ever directly seen.
    The company (who is having financial issues) recently acquired a direct competitor who was even worse off financially and behind on projects. The acquisition doesn’t make a lot of sense other than it may be a “family legacy” type situation.
    There is no office telephone number. Trying to get in touch with anybody regarding simple insurance information while at a doctors office is near impossible. There is only direct lines to managers; the phone number from a google search will only get you to customer service, who will understandably be bothered by these calls.
    With every campaign, the package you’re told to sell is consistent. Meaning, regardless if you’re selling to an Eagle Scout, a college/high school alumni, or an elderly military veteran, the prices and packages remain the same. You’re told to push three times to every person regardless of their financial or life situation (or even if they’re letting us know their spouse had died, try and see if they want a directory).