Publishing Concepts Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Drew Clancy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • very nice people and considerate management (in 5 reviews)

• Great culture, great people, great benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • New campaign launches can be a bit stressful due to the heavy back to back call volume for 8 (in 3 reviews)

• Sometimes there are long hours, always looking at the numbers, juggling different projects (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"PCI's been my home for 12 years!!"

Current Employee - Sales Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Publishing Concepts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Promote from within, paid sabbatical, tuition reimbursement, learning organization, industry leader, talented management team, family, culture, and work you can believe in.

Cons

None -- I love working here. I have grown professionally and personally as a result of PCI. I have friends and family who continue to tell me "you have something special up here". I truly believe we do.

Advice to Management

Let's keep our learner mindset and continue advancing the mission of our nation's colleges and universities. We are making a big impact within the Advancement world.

Jul 25, 2017 – Vice President

...And we hope that PCI will be your home for many more years! Your review is so honest and heart-felt. We are making a big impact due to the hard work, energy and trust shown by you and other... More

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Publishing Concepts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So blessed to work at PCI. Everyone is respectful and understanding. I am never afraid to ask a question here.

Cons

There really isn't anything.

Oct 15, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you. Your positive review is so appreciated. PCI is blessed to have so many awesome associates who bring the best every day for our clients and each other.
    We are wishing you many happy... More

"May the lord save you"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Publishing Concepts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Honestly, i got to figure out the type of company i never want to work for. other than that i guess drew the ceo seems like a cool guy, but lacks a spine and tries too hard to brainwash the monkeys that make up the majority of the sales force.

Cons

I'm going to leave a completely honest review about my time at PCI. All of the really good 5 star reviews are hard to believe, as NO ONE EVER feels that way at work when we talk to each other. in terms of salary, i was a top performer and was averaging 50k for the year with the pace i went at. Thats because i got away from following the script like they expect you too. honestly i dont even know why i got such good sales. it seems like its just a numbers game. i took more calls, and in return i got more sales. they dont actually train you on how to sell. they train you on reading a script. so the training is garbage and you will have to learn from other people or figure it out for yourself.

management is an absolute joke. all they ever do is tell you to keep your pause time low over and over. they never actually help you improve. even when they do their one on one "coaching" they can never actually help you get better because they do not know how to sell. they tell you primarily, "oh you should sound more confident. you should follow the offer flow". by which, it means you have to harass someone who already said no to the initial pitch THREE TIMES, because they think if you harass them long enough, they might give up and say yes.

Culture - Im going to be completely honest. most of the people they hire are complete trash. if you are a decent person and you accept a position. the first thing you notice when you step into the floor is that its mostly filled with people who talk like their in a rap song, and are only there because its better than working at mcdonalds. (i dont know if it really is). there are a couple of people who are actually not complete idiots, and if you find them chances are you will rack up your break time talking crap about the company over a cigarette.

CONCLUSION

Honestly, working at PCI was one of the worst times in my life. you sit in your desk from the minute you step into the office, cold calling people all day long. you dont get breaks other than lunch, and often management asks you to shorten your lunch. you literally feel like you are a slave. the 9 hours you are there really feels like 15. Your constantly harassing people and you have to keep begging them for money even if they say no once or twice. they honestly believe being a good sales person is asking a person 3 times instead of once or twice if they want the same product over and over. the management is literally a bunch of idiots who sit their and micromanage. if you have an education, or some sort of standard, go somewhere else. if you have no other options and you want a job that'll put food on the table for you and you are willing to suffer for it then go ahead and apply at PCI. DONT WORRY, you will get the job. they hire almost anyone as long as you arent a repeat felon. they make the interview seem tough just because they want you to feel like your lucky to get the job.

There is a lot of hate at PCI. dont join.

"Puts their money where their mouths are......Great Company"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Publishing Concepts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Accepting a position has been the best decision I ever made in my life. PCI management firmly believes in Servant Leadership and means it when they say our families come first. I've personally benefited from this philosophy after having experienced a personal tragedy in my family. PCI has been nothing less than supportive as I work my way back to full-time. They've allowed me flexibility in my schedule, while not pushing me to do anything other than take care of my family. I've never had a job like this where management was so kind and supportive. They really do care about their employees.

Cons

This is the first job I've had where I really did like everybody I worked with, so working from home, as great as it is, is challenging. I miss my coworkers.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You create loyalty and such a pleasant atmosphere. The trickle down theory of happiness works.

Oct 15, 2017 – Vice President

Many, many thanks for your thoughtful and positive review. We are so proud of our culture which is constantly enhanced by having associates such as yourself. We believe that business should be a... More

"Great People"

I have been working at Publishing Concepts full-time

Pros

There are so many people who are fantastic to work along side!

Cons

No complaints at this time.

Oct 15, 2017 – Vice President

Thanks for recognizing all the fantastic co-workers within our environment. We truly believe that PCI's workforce is one of the best in the U.S. By selecting candidates who are naturally kind, who... More

"Pretenders"

I worked at Publishing Concepts full-time

Pros

Honestly, besides them paying me, I can't think of any.

Cons

The company makes it seem as if you are going to enjoy the rest of your life working there. This is not the case, you are micromanaged to a tee, you can't even go to the bathroom and breathe for five minutes, without a manager wondering where you are.

The product you are selling, as well the market you sell the product to is the perfect form of exploitation. You sell memorabilia to senior citizens who have much more important things they could be spending their money on. Ever heard the term "it's easy to sell a product you like?" Well that is simply not the case, I felt like a bad calling some of these senile war vets and senior citizens to shove a book, T-shirt, and travel bag, down their throats.

Advice to Management

Less Micromanagement.

Oct 15, 2017 – Vice President

Your comments cause us concern as we obviously failed to properly communicate and outline our purpose, vision, processes and values to you during the selection process. We do allow prospective... More

"Editor"

I worked at Publishing Concepts full-time

Pros

This is a Family Owned Business

Cons

The Pay is not good

Oct 15, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for your comments. We wish you only the best in your future endeavors.

"Inside Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Publishing Concepts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful environment. I have been with PCI for over 10 years and I feel that we are really beginning to realize our potential. Great projects, better systems, more engaged managers have made a big difference - for me anyway! We are encouraged to be our best every day.

Cons

Many changes over the last year. Many of my teammates resist but I keep telling them - "Open your mind to the possibilities". Wish everyone would give these changes a fair shake.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I like the changes. I am making more money now and the company is doing well too.

Jul 31, 2017 – Vice President

We so appreciate your very positive review. Thank you for recognizing that while change can be hard but if one keeps an open mind - great things can happen. Again, your amazing review fuels our... More

"<3 Love this company <3"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Publishing Concepts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work culture, understanding management, and upper management that make a point of actually talking to you. Meeting you, and sometimes even getting in the trenches with us grunts. lol
    The benifits are awesome by the way. If your single, the company takes good care of you. Families,..not so much. You kind a pay thru the nose for insurance. But with how messed up things are in the insurance world, its better than nothing.

Cons

The only 2 complaint's I have, is that there are never any raises in the hourly pay structure. I have never worked for a company before that did not offer raises to its employees. Yes, yes, I know. Want more money? make more sales.
    2) No direct deposit.... huh?? Scrolling thru the other reviews I see a post back in early April that direct deposit was being moved forward, but here we are in late July and still no word for it. What gives?

Advice to Management

I know advice like this goes in one eye ball and out the other ear. But looking into raises and following thru with direct deposit would be awesome.
    -Also read a review about agents who part time. You said that if they want more money to start working full time. Not everyone has that glorious option of spending 8hrs a day on a phone. Though I will admit that I am glad PCI does offer the option of part time to its employees. That being said, $$$ is the bread & butter for us all, including the company. It's why we ALL are in this. Raises would be nice. Seriously. Who ever heard of a company NOT giving raises to its employees? I get it if this was a restaurant. But not for a company like this.

Jul 31, 2017 – Vice President

We appreciate your perspective and comments regarding your pros and cons about PCI. Please know that "never any raises in the hourly pay structure" is simply not true. Our long term... More

"Beware!"

Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Publishing Concepts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee, Christmas parties are decent... struggling here to find more pros.

Cons

How this company made the best places to work for in DFW is beyond me. I would suggest they are paying someone at Texas Monthly Magazine to make their top 100 because they are absolutely a cult type culture that will try and control all aspects of your life.

To explain what I mean, here are the points to make note of.

1. Their charismatic CEO is more of a figure head who really doesn't do much other than lead the mandatory meeting every day that everyone is asked to attend to make you feel good about yourself while masking their poor dismal financial numbers and trying to spin it in a positive light. We will do better because of you! (Total guilt trip into a performance metric that we live or die on your actions)

2. The main decisions are made by people who are not qualified to run their departments much less a company. But they are hell bent on running your life outside of work.

3. Other employees are made fun of by upper management and are given nick names that would make HR cringe. Even though HR is aware and participates in said behavior, so thus it's allowed to continue.

4. People are groomed into specific roles they aren't qualified for thus the crazy management style but you're made to feel good about those decisions.

5. You will be asked to work long hours and weekends not to mention that the work life balance is non-existent. If you call in 3 times even if it's legitimately excused, your fired.

Take those 5 points and line them up with a google search on how to recognize a cult and every part of what I mentioned fits.

What to expect upon hire?

You will sit through a mandatory first day of work ceremony where you will get a framed certificate of what is to be expected of you. Sort of like an employment contract with rays of sunshine blown into the nether regions of your backside, to feel good about all of the long fruitless hours you will put in for dismal pay.

The honeymoon will end shortly after and all of the pressure of the dismal sales and gloomy outlook for the company as a whole start to weigh in as you are now the only person who will be able to save their red line financials.

But don't be surprised when payroll is a bit late, or you miss getting a check on time since this company doesn't pay it's bills to vendors, and have bounced the occasional payroll check to some higher salaried employees.

One of the biggest concerns is their marketing practices. Why the FTC hasn't shut this place down yet is beyond me. You feel dirty going home knowing that as a sales person, you are not only separating old alumni people from their hard earned social security checks but that you participated in the one thing everyone hates, which is direct marketing to a person's private email, and spammed with post cards every other day because they need your information to sell you more sweaters or t-shirts to go along with that 10.00 album that had a 1000% markup.

Advice to Management

Find a new position with a real company that won't tank your resume for being associated with such a low moral company that involves itself into deceitful business practices.

Jul 25, 2017 – Vice President

Your perspective causes us concern. We are disappointed that you did not have a positive experience at PCI. Our #1 business strategy is to provide an engaging and upbeat environment so that our... More