Publishing Concepts Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Drew Clancy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • very nice people and considerate management (in 5 reviews)

• Management will also let you work from home after you've proven that you're a top performer and can be trusted (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • And yes you are required to badger them 3 times (in 3 reviews)

• New campaign launches can be a bit stressful due to the heavy back to back call volume for 8 (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"PCI's been my home for 12 years!!"

Current Employee - Sales Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Publishing Concepts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Promote from within, paid sabbatical, tuition reimbursement, learning organization, industry leader, talented management team, family, culture, and work you can believe in.

Cons

None -- I love working here. I have grown professionally and personally as a result of PCI. I have friends and family who continue to tell me "you have something special up here". I truly believe we do.

Advice to Management

Let's keep our learner mindset and continue advancing the mission of our nation's colleges and universities. We are making a big impact within the Advancement world.

Publishing Concepts Response

Jul 25, 2017 – Vice President

...And we hope that PCI will be your home for many more years! Your review is so honest and heart-felt. We are making a big impact due to the hard work, energy and trust shown by you and other... More

"Sales Associate 4 years"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Publishing Concepts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Work life & personal balance. You can tell people genuinely care about each other and strive to make sure everyone succeeds. Great upper management & structure. President/CEO is definitely 1 of a kind and it shows throughout the entire organization

Cons

None that I can think of, overall it really is a great company......... Looking forward to being with the Company for many more years

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing

3. "Production"

I worked at Publishing Concepts part-time

Pros

good environment, fun place to work. really nice facility and team work is important to them

Cons

none- they are improving tremendously

"Agree Completely with Oct 2017 Review - Read like I wrote it myself"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Publishing Concepts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They treat the employees better than most call centers by doing outings, rolling out the red carpet (literally) on the 1st day of training, giving little gifts and lunch at training, holiday party at a restaurant, etc. CEO is hands-on in terms of visiting the sales office and is very enthusiastic and conservative (no tattoos).

Cons

All San Antonio supervisors have tattoos which directly contradicts the upper management preferences. Needless to say, they will never be promoted beyond their status, yet don't even realize it because they were inherited from another company buyout. They constantly talk about pause time and call out your name and say Are you Alright over there? That's when you take a moment to talk to a co-worker or stay off the phone for more than a minute. Biggest issue with PCI is that you have to have no conscience in order to sell the product. It is a scam. They don't tell you in training that you're going to be selling this directory for almost $400 as a package that's full of double-talk. Confuses the customer so they may say yes at the end and not realize what they have purchased. Especially difficult to sell to WWII vets and Korean War vets...they are so old and you have to convince them to like you by engaging on the phone so that when you get to your pitch they say Yes, even though they can't afford it...just because they like you. That's why you can't have a conscience.

Advice to Management

Lower the price of the product OR tell the person during the interview what they are selling and how much it's going to cost the consumer. It's a hard sale with sales goals that only people who have very little concern about other people's financial situations will want to take. Anyone who is educated and/or empathetic will start there, then quit quickly. Hire managers that know how to manage and know how to sell by phone. The advice given by the supervisors during coaching sessions emphasizes their lack of education.

5. "Inside Sales with work/life balance"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Publishing Concepts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have to give it your best when you're there. But when you're not, you're not! You can focus on the rest of your life outside of work. A lot of time and attention is focused on culture, a definite plus!

Cons

Metrics are watched closely, not a lot of wriggle room!

Advice to Management

Keep the culture as important as the bottom line!

"Publishing Concepts Response Jul 31, 2017 – Vice President About Direct Deposit (See Advice)"

Pros

It's a great band-aide until you can find work else where. And they know it. They don't have a problem with their high turn over rate. You get used up, and spit out.

Cons

You say that hourly pay has increased for associates by 20%. The truth of that is the only ones who get that increase are the ones who are bringing in exorbitant amounts of money. There is NO increase in pay for more than half of the work force that are the phones. The stats we now must meet are insane. Out of 200 people on the phones, if your stats do not have you more than half way up the food chain your on PIP. At #88 (more than half way up the food chain. I still did not meet the hard core requirements of RPH. That tells me that everyone who came in behind me was also written up on PIP. That's more than half your work force. Seriously?? But your constantly griping that you don't have enough 'butts in the seats". Well gee, I wonder why. (And I will plug in here, that's hypocritical when we know you have no issues walking people out the door when they can't meet the RPH stat) It saddens me that PCI is now all about the money. This use to be a caring company. And there are so few of them left these days. I heard Drew say once in a meeting "We pay you a living wage". $15 per hour. I wanted to pipe up then and say "Thank you for comparing us to fast food service (at that time it was all over the news how that industry was on strike, wanting the 'living wage). That can be found on any corner of the city. We are specialized, we are the ONLY company in the United States that does what we do. Before he said that, I had pride not just in the company, but in the work we do. After that however, I have lost faith in it, and with the constant fibbing about direct deposit (have heard it now for several years) as well as no pay increase to keep up with inflation. Yes, I am well aware someone like the vp will possibly respond to this, and blow air. If your a potential candidate for this job, keep in mind what I have said. No raises, no direct deposit, and they will lie to you and tell you its on the way when it isn't. And yes, you will be selling high dollar packages to a great many elderly folks who really can't afford it. WHICH bites you in the rear-end when the call back and cancel. Those numbers are deducted from you, even if the actual sale happened several months back. It counts on your RIGHT NOW NUMBERS. OUCH!!! And yes you are required to badger them 3 times. Not to mention a crazy high RPH requirement. For instance, if you watch your stats page you will find that out of 75 on the floor agents at 7am might have a total of 3 people who have sold something by 8am. The other 72 have sold absolutely nothing, but the RPH is anywhere from $88 dollars to $140 for that hour. And it just continues til the day ends. Yes, there's a handful of people on the floor that are able to make great sales numbers. I'm not sure how the company gets ranked as the #1 company to work for in Texas and Virginia. It's obvious the powers that be do not read these kinds of truthful, up front reviews.

Advice to Management

Back in July 2017 you said Direct Deposit was on the way, with a roll out to remote agents 1st. Here it is January 2018 and still,...no direct deposit. It seems like such a waste to have people hanging on to "It's on the way" when you could just be forth right and tell us your not going to do it. Or, if you are, how about setting an actual date? IF we ever DO get direct deposit, I will happily faint right in the hall ways, then get up and cheer.

7. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Publishing Concepts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been at PCI nearly 10 years and have received several opportunities for advancement during that time. The company has a learning culture where associates are able to use their strengths as they grow in their careers. We are encouraged to try new things and not penalized if we fail. The company believes in Servant Leadership, serving each other as well as our clients. I have never worked in a company that is like this. People love coming to work and 'fun' is one of the company's values! If you are looking for a place to learn and grow, a place that feels like home, it is at PCI!

Cons

We have 3 locations and sometimes communicating with each other becomes difficult.

Advice to Management

Continue to bring in big contracts and serve our associates.

"Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Publishing Concepts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full time hours, Monday through Friday, no nights, no weekends, medical, dental and retirement benefits provided, paid training, work from home.

Cons

Micro management. Management is always right. Employee is always wrong. Constant audits. Anything less than 100% is considered sub par. On one hand they give you compliments and with the other hand they take it away by browbeating you for your mistakes.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging your people.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Publishing Concepts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So blessed to work at PCI. Everyone is respectful and understanding. I am never afraid to ask a question here.

Cons

There really isn't anything.

Publishing Concepts Response

Oct 15, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you. Your positive review is so appreciated. PCI is blessed to have so many awesome associates who bring the best every day for our clients and each other.
    We are wishing you many happy... More

"May the lord save you"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Publishing Concepts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Honestly, i got to figure out the type of company i never want to work for. other than that i guess drew the ceo seems like a cool guy, but lacks a spine and tries too hard to brainwash the monkeys that make up the majority of the sales force.

Cons

I'm going to leave a completely honest review about my time at PCI. All of the really good 5 star reviews are hard to believe, as NO ONE EVER feels that way at work when we talk to each other. in terms of salary, i was a top performer and was averaging 50k for the year with the pace i went at. Thats because i got away from following the script like they expect you too. honestly i dont even know why i got such good sales. it seems like its just a numbers game. i took more calls, and in return i got more sales. they dont actually train you on how to sell. they train you on reading a script. so the training is garbage and you will have to learn from other people or figure it out for yourself.

management is an absolute joke. all they ever do is tell you to keep your pause time low over and over. they never actually help you improve. even when they do their one on one "coaching" they can never actually help you get better because they do not know how to sell. they tell you primarily, "oh you should sound more confident. you should follow the offer flow". by which, it means you have to harass someone who already said no to the initial pitch THREE TIMES, because they think if you harass them long enough, they might give up and say yes.

Culture - Im going to be completely honest. most of the people they hire are complete trash. if you are a decent person and you accept a position. the first thing you notice when you step into the floor is that its mostly filled with people who talk like their in a rap song, and are only there because its better than working at mcdonalds. (i dont know if it really is). there are a couple of people who are actually not complete idiots, and if you find them chances are you will rack up your break time talking crap about the company over a cigarette.

CONCLUSION

Honestly, working at PCI was one of the worst times in my life. you sit in your desk from the minute you step into the office, cold calling people all day long. you dont get breaks other than lunch, and often management asks you to shorten your lunch. you literally feel like you are a slave. the 9 hours you are there really feels like 15. Your constantly harassing people and you have to keep begging them for money even if they say no once or twice. they honestly believe being a good sales person is asking a person 3 times instead of once or twice if they want the same product over and over. the management is literally a bunch of idiots who sit their and micromanage. if you have an education, or some sort of standard, go somewhere else. if you have no other options and you want a job that'll put food on the table for you and you are willing to suffer for it then go ahead and apply at PCI. DONT WORRY, you will get the job. they hire almost anyone as long as you arent a repeat felon. they make the interview seem tough just because they want you to feel like your lucky to get the job.

There is a lot of hate at PCI. dont join.