Publishing Concepts Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Drew Clancy

Pros
  • very nice people and considerate management (in 5 reviews)

• Great culture, great people, great benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • New campaign launches can be a bit stressful due to the heavy back to back call volume for 8 (in 3 reviews)

• very low pay, small business minded (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Most amazing place I've ever worked!"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Publishing Concepts (More than a year)

Pros

Caring management that really do treat you like family. The pay is awesome my commission doubled my paychecks. I love them all to this day.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say.

Advice to Management

Rehire...rehire....rehire..lol..seriously just keep up the good work guys!

Feb 15, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you! Your comments are amazing. We are so very pleased to read your thoughts and perspective about PCI. I do hope that you still partner with us. If not, please reach out to Drew Clancy at ... More

2. "VP"

Current Employee - Director in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Publishing Concepts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Culture to work in

Cons

nothing really, great place to work

Advice to Management

keep it up

May 30, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you very much for your strong endorsement of our workplace culture. We are happy that you are happy. That's what it is all about! Your positivity is inspiring.

"Inside Sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Publishing Concepts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They feed you lots of pizza. I met some really nice people. Several shifts to choose from so easy to get a schedule that works for you.

Cons

New business model is terrible and preys on veterans and older people living on disability and fixed income. Sales managers micro manage you with insane metrics and it's difficult to earn good commission. New management is ruining what used to be a great company! They have destroyed the moral and culture!

Advice to Management

Stop having so many meetings! You keep managers from working and being available for their teams. The "Big Company" culture has taken over, ... bring back the PCI culture!! Go back to alumni directories and leave the Veterans alone! Invest in the employees you have and stop the revolving door of new hires! You are losing good people with MAP of 85% of floor, it's not a good measure due to call volume for different shifts. Train and retain, don't keep hiring so many newbies.

"Great Part-time Job"

Former Employee - Inbound Contact Service Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Inbound Contact Service Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Publishing Concepts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible work schedule that gives you the time to take care of personal matters. Very little micromanagement. If you're scheduled for 24 hours per week, you can work them around your schedule. Great work environment with great people.

Cons

New campaign launches can be a bit stressful due to the heavy back to back call volume for 8+ hours straight. Fixed salary and a quirky commission structure. No direct deposit.

Advice to Management

Mail out a set number new campaign mailers on Thursdays with the next group on the following Mondays until the first round is complete. Dedicate another day for call backs... other words, use a consistent method per previous metrics to reduce the "all or nothing " deluge of inbound traffic.

Apr 12, 2017 – Vice President

We so appreciate your comments and insight. Your suggestions have been forwarded to our marketing team which handles all outreach - both by mail and email. It is feedback, like yours, which helps ... More

"Good Company, but...."

Current Employee - Virtual Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Virtual Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Publishing Concepts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work culture is one of the best I have encountered. The top brass is warm, inviting. And seem to genuinely care for their employees. But....

Cons

There are several to list:
    1) a.There are NO raises. Period end of discussion. The company makes millions. That's not a type-o. It CAN afford to invest in better lives for their employee's that do so much to line the bottom-line of the company. Yes, we ALL understand if you want a better pay-check make more sales. Please refer to item b. And on a side note, when the majority of the clients are retired military, that have NO money sales can be difficult to come by. And some of us feel terrible about trying to sell to folks who have no money. ESPECIALLY our retired veterans, who are being squeezed more and more by the very government who should be supporting them. MANY of us have a grievance concerning this topic.
    b. The commission as stated in another review IS below market value for sales agents.
    c. NO Direct deposit. The company still hands out its checks to all employees. Near and far. For those living far away they must rely on the mail system to get their checks to them. And since the company only pays twice a month, sometimes that can be costly in late fee's for unpaid bills. Not to mention banks charge us for not having direct deposit. Also providing for the family can be difficult due to the checks arriving late, or sometimes not at all. I'm sure someone can understand the need for direct deposit.
    2) No PTO for part-time employees. This one is disturbing, because you never earn any time off, if you need a week to spend away you HAVE to make up the hours. No if &'s buts or maybe's about it. Another words, you get NO vacation time.
    3) No health insurance for part-time employees. I have read other reviews here as well concerning this topic. Health insurance has become a hot topic for all Americans. A MUST need, healthy or not. The Tele-doc feature is great. It doesn't help us however if we need to SEE a doctor.

Advice to Management

I sincerely love this company. I believe in this company. And I think Drew is one of the most outstanding Owners I have ever worked for. But life costs more and more these days. And without raises, and insane Metrix that we must meet, such as being at 85% of the sales floor daily Revenue per Hour. The questionnaire we're currently being asked to discuss with our managers: Do you plan on being with PCI long-term? Might be difficult to hire, and then keep sales agents when your busy walking them out the door because they can't meet the RPH yet their points are above the threshold. The Metrix do not make sense.
    My advise? When you guys ask for this kind of advise don't just pretend to listen to it, act on it. Call-centers are ALL notorious for having revolving door. Agents burn out. Stress levels are very high because sales (let's face it) suck. No where else in any other line of work is a job on the line DAILY. With sales, if you have a bad day, you generally fall behind and stay behind.
    Clients know it when their agent is being pushed to sell them something. And clients will back away in a heart beat from that kind of pressure, even if they want the product.
    Culture & values of a company mean nothing if their people can't pay the bills. It's as simple as that. All over the news, fast food workers want $15.00 per hour as the base pay. FAST FOOD. Aren't we worth more than that to you? Or are we just as expendable to you as a fast food worker? I really hope your answer isn't "Yes". Of course we'll know if the pay structure changes. Words are just words. Action speaks louder.

"Inside sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Publishing Concepts (Less than a year)

Pros

very nice people and considerate management

Cons

validation is too quick and not explained at the hiring.

Advice to Management

explain to prospective employees they will have to validate quickly.

Mar 21, 2017 – Vice President

Hello. Many thanks for your comments and review. We appreciate your kind words In order to provide a better experience, would you please explain what you mean by "validation is too quick and not ... More

"Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Publishing Concepts (Less than a year)

Pros

Really awesome place to work at. Everybody is very friendly!

Cons

I believe their business model is dying, but that's really the only con.

Feb 6, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for reviewing PCI on Glassdoor. We love hearing that you had a wonderful experience with our culture and our great associates. We do appreciate your perspective on our business model. I ... More

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Publishing Concepts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a Work from Home Job

Cons

The pay could be better

Feb 6, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for your feedback on your current position. I see that you are working in the Virginia Beach area. Welcome to PCI. I encourage you to reach out to Drew Clancy at ... More

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Publishing Concepts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros at all

Cons

There are too many con's to list

Advice to Management

Get a life and stop ruining everyone else's.

Mar 6, 2017 – Vice President

We are truly sorry for the less than satisfactory experience you had while working with PCI/Harris Connect for more than a year. It is difficult to learn from your comments, with no cons listed ... More

"inside Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at Publishing Concepts (More than a year)

Pros

Company is highly rate, Personal, mentors and one top rated #1 medium sized company for two years in a row.

Cons

I could not continue to sell to Veterans that had no money. it was against my moral compass.

Advice to Management

I feel very strong that the Inside Sales position is a strong fit for me. I hope you have an available position in Grapevine.

Mar 6, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for your insights and comments provided to us through this glassdoor forum and for giving us the opportunity to discuss our many treasured military clients and campaigns that we are so very ... More