Publix Reviews in Orlando, FL | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Publix CEO Todd Jones
Todd Jones

Pros
  • Great benefits fun place closes (in 465 reviews)

• Extremely good company with good benefits (in 244 reviews)

Cons
  • Games management plays when they want to keep you around as a part-time lackey but never give you full-time (in 375 reviews)

• hard to get a benefit if you are part time (in 212 reviews)

1. "Publix Part-time Employee"

Former Employee - Clerk in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Clerk in Orlando, FL

I worked at Publix part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The hours are pretty flexible. After a year you are bought into the 401K. Great place for a part-time college student. Have seen younger employees climb the ranks, as well. My experience with Publix has been as a part-time college student having no long-term plans with Publix.

The company is doing very well and expanding, so the stock is also growing. After a year (I believe) you also get some stock and are able to buy additional stock. If you leave you can keep the stock with Publix if you want, but you can't buy any more.

Overall the job is very easy. If you're a cashier, most of the time you're scanning people's groceries and speaking with the customers. In the bakery you might be packaging, tagging prices on, and placing the baked goods out on the floor. Every so often you'll take a cake order which is very straight forward.

Cons

Manager changes can cause a major change in the workflow. Sometimes you have a good manager, sometimes you have less organized managers that result in staying later.

"Genuinely good company that cared about employee success"

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Publix part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, friendly co-workers (for the most part), flexible schedule for part timers. Publix will take you on a successful ride if you're willing to put in the time.

Cons

Mean customers, long hours, monotonous work. Doing the same customer service job for 5-10 years in the hopes of being promoted isn't for everyone

Advice to Management

Try to focus more on good things employees do. Sometimes I feel like my genuine effort to be friendly is taken for granted.

"Part-Time Bagger and Cashier"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Publix part-time

Pros

Pay was slightly above minimum wage.

Cons

Absolutely no respect for work/life balance. Publix scheduled me 35+ hours a week even though my managers were aware I worked a second part-time job, and was also looking for a more permanent, professional career. When I voiced my complaints to my manager, she was completely dismissive and did nothing to help, and acted as if she was personally offended that I was looking for a job elsewhere (I'm a college graduate, bagging groceries isn't part of my long-term plan).

On my first day at the store, I was put in a room and watched 6+ hours of training videos on the computer with no supervision. Lazy, irresponsible and ultimately ineffective way of training employees.

There are employee benefits if you stay for several years, but absolutely nothing for entry-level employees.

Advice to Management

Not everyone works at Publix because they want to make it a career. Be more flexible with your part-time employees and respectful of their schedules.

"If you have dreams, don't move up in the company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Publix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, pretty good benefits, stable company. Great job to move up in if you don't mind not having time for family, working almost everyday to meet their expectations, no desire to live in the other 88% of the country.

Cons

If you're in grocery, in my opinion, the pay isn't worth the workload. For a company with such mountain high standards in every area sales, merchandising, cleaning, work speed and ethic, customer service, and organization, you would think they would actually pay their employees better. Sure they pretty good benefits, but nothing really special unless you stay there until you retire. And by then, you're soul has already been drained.

Advice to Management

Pay your stock clerks more to accommodate the heavy work load.

5. "It's decent enough"

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Publix part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Actual competitive pay
    Good benefits
    Simple job
    With a good attitude, you'll go far

Cons

You work with a lot of High Schoolers and College Students who don't always have the best work ethic.

Advice to Management

Focus on Employee Care. It's lacking.

6. "Adequate"

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Orlando, FL

Pros

Customer Service, benefits, most employees, average pay.

Cons

Some store level management, lots of polotics

7. "Custodian"

Current Employee - Lead Custodian in Mount Dora, FL
    Current Employee - Lead Custodian in Mount Dora, FL

I have been working at Publix part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice co workers
    Friendly customers
    Customers are satisfied

Cons

I have been with Publix for 1year and a half now and have been begging to recieve hours to qualify for medical insurance I am autistic and I have to better myself in life and not rely on others to do this for me and with the hours I recieve at publix it will never happen it's sad to think I have asked time and time again to each manager and remind them of this just so they can give me the hours I'm a hard worker I do my job and I do it 100 percent but I still struggle with maintaining the hours please help me if I can't afford my medication it can be very disastrous.

Advice to Management

Make sure your employees with disabilities such as autism ,Down syndrome , and other most overlooked disability have a fair chance to thrive because as of now working with autism and with others who have disabilities your company is not doing a good job in helping us thrive instead you put in management who does not care about our needs I can't afford medication that's not good.

8. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Apopka, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Apopka, FL

I have been working at Publix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits for part time employees, stock, flexible schedules

Cons

Days off, Family cores are gone, schedule is terrible, sales are more important than employees

Advice to Management

listen to your employees, open door policy is not mutual both ways or with upper management.

9. "good company to be with in the long run; your first year can be tough"

Current Employee - Front End in Eustis, FL
    Current Employee - Front End in Eustis, FL

I have been working at Publix part-time

Pros

great working environment, good helpful employees, supportive management; pay based on good performance and performance is highly recognized

Cons

management will play favorites to those they want to promote or give more hours to.. they are not guaranteed every week - average is 10 to 15 hrs/week on a part time basis to start, (sometimes less) UNLESS you're an extraordinaire and can really make an impression to the supervisors, you will get more.. that ties in with benefits and stock options as well - average and subpar employees have to wait longer to get them because its based on hours worked and not on length of service w/ company; in all, good compensation has to be well earned according to COMPANY POLICY

10. "Bakery clerk"

Current Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Deli/Bakery Clerk in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Publix part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent human relations, goal identifies policies define

Cons

payement rate, evaluation are based in group results

Advice to Management

Excellent

Showing 251 of 4,097 reviews