Publix Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Publix CEO Todd Jones
Todd Jones

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great benefits flexible with schedule (in 476 reviews)

• Extremely good company with good benefits (in 255 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to get full time unless you are going for a management position (in 387 reviews)

• hard to get a benefit if you are part time (in 217 reviews)

1. "Very Bad Experience"

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Cartersville, GA
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Cartersville, GA

I worked at Publix part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Weekly paycheck. Good benefits if full time.

Cons

Very poor management. Favoritism was a problem. You are expected to act robotic. You are told what to say, how to think, how to act. I was even told I should hug customers! Management too prideful to accept suggestions. They make you watch ridiculous videos on how to handle situations that require little common sense (I was forced to watch a video on how to use a box cutter!). The first day of spending three hours watching pointless videos I could have had real on the job training. Management did not lead their team. They relied on their videos to train employees. Extremely crazy schedule. One day you will work 12-8 and be expected to come back in at 4am. They are so focused on customer experience it is almost impossible to get your job done in a timely manner (can't pull pallets on the floor, no trash buggies, etc). They were lacking a routine. You walk in the door and have no clue what they will have you do for the day. No planning ahead, for example they know a truck will come at 6pm yet they do not clean the backroom to make room for it. When the truck arrives, they frantically run around panicking of where to put it. The grocery back room was always a mess and it was very hard to work around so much clutter. Their technology was good but it was not executed properly so trucks were always over ordered resulting in too much product with no space to put it. Sometimes we literally had to crawl on top of pallets to get somewhere. For a company that prides themselves on how they treat employees and customers you would think they would have a safer work area. You can't be over 4 minutes late, but if you clocked in one minute early you would get in trouble. Evaluations were a joke. I was told I need to help other associates more and that I spent too much time handling my own responsibilities (which is what I was told to do). If you ever had a question you would be talked to as if you were stupid. I have gotten belittled many times just for asking if management needed help with anything. There was no accountability. The only way to stand out is to suck up to customers or managers. Hard work, experience, intelligence, or dedication mean nothing to them.

Advice to Management

Please train your people. Stop relying on pointless videos to train them. Don't treat people as if they are stupid because they ask you a question. Asking questions is a good thing because it shows employees want to do stuff properly! Be open for suggestions. There is nothing wrong with taking advice from other people. Get your priorities together. Customers go to a grocery store to buy products... not to get up close and personal with the employees. It is more important to a customer to have a clean store with product on the shelf, instead of clueless employees giving them hugs and pretending to be their best friend.

"Its an OK job, depends on location. Overall the in-store retail life is like High School all over again!"

Current Employee - Cashier in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Publix full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Weekly pay. Benefits for (FT/PT). Dividend checks. Stock is great! The credit union is great for employees and family! *

Cons

It'll take you forever to get full time as well as management unless you're kissing butt or riding somebody! Its aggravating!

Advice to Management

Be Better Managers. Stop stressing. Its ok. Put your foot down!

3. "terrible conditions"

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Lakeland, FL

I worked at Publix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits that's the only thing I found good about this job.

Cons

terrible hours, terrible managers, poor communication

Advice to Management

listen to employees and don't let them be harassed to their breaking point before doing anything about it

"If you can, dont work here"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at Publix part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, way above minimum wage pay

Cons

Out of all the places ive worked publix has the most entitled customers and have no manners.
    Long shifts

"Horrible"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk

I have been working at Publix part-time

Pros

Publix has benefits like stock, dental, health, 401k.

Cons

I work for Publix part time and go to school. My manager lied to me to reel me in. She promised me a $15 raise, full time, and flexibility...........LIE! She told me she want me to choose between school and publix. I stopped going to nursing school. I found out she only was teaching me a new position until they find someone else. They moved me and this other girl all around the store because we were hard workers and we were short employees and good workers. Now its been 3 weeks with 0-6 hours. The other girl left and this is how they do there valued employees! Modern day slavery I know people that's been working there for 7 years and is finally at $11 an hour. That's what I started off with.

6. "When the stock drops it's time to go."

Current Employee - Hybrid in Panama City Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Hybrid in Panama City Beach, FL

I have been working at Publix full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If this is the extent of your abilities and don't have a decent education. It's food on the table at least.

Cons

It's the dark side of the market lads. Not saying it's any better out there with gas stations and banks with bullet proof glass, but my personal experience of 8 years; opening 6 stores, closing 2 and 3 different district managers. It's sort of like the neighbor dog dropping on your lawn and the owner expecting you to clean it up with a smile. It's a knockout.

Advice to Management

I wish you where a better person inside. I'm sure you feel the same, but you would have to feel that first. RIP the 2 suicides @ 823

7. "Favoritism Is Alive & Well In The Deli Department"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk/Cook in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk/Cook in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Publix part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was above average for Deli department.

Cons

Being denied raises because management didn't train you in areas you need to know to get a raise. Having to bow down to Boars Head because of the contract Publix has with them. Being threatened with being fired if you don't meet "Boars Head" standards (who did I work for again? No other department in the store was FORCED to upsell a more expensive product to customers or threatened with termination for not meeting a vendors standards). Closing at night (leaving between 11:pm and 12:30am) and being scheduled back at 6am the next morning. Meeting ALL requirements to make full-time and being overlooked to see someone who was hired after you made full-time (and friend of managers). Was promised by two different Deli managers at two different store that I WOULD make full-time. Almost three and a half years, was still waiting and yes, full-time positions DID become available during those almost four years I worked there. Working in the kitchen with people not or under-trained to cook (you can't cook fish and chicken in the same fryer at the same time). I came to Publix as a past Chef and was ServSafe Supervisor Certified. These two qualities made no difference. Lack of the "Team" environment.

Advice to Management

Remember what Mr. George initiated. Customer is above all AND happy employees help to make that happen. Don't let your bottom line over shadow those two MAIN ingredients in Mr. Georges theory. Your managers should be promoted not only for passing a ROI test but ALSO how they handle the employees. Those managers I have come across in two stores have very little if any experience in the latter. Customers are the most important thing but it is your employees that set the stage! If you want your employees to participate in Community events, either pay them for the day (they represent the company at these events) or provide some other incentive to participate. Have department managers maintain a clean department on a daily basis and the employees wouldn't have to scramble when they hear management or the DOA are coming to inspect the department !

"Lazy, Inconsiderate Management"

Current Employee - Produce Team Leader in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Produce Team Leader in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Publix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits. That is about it. You might meet some nice people, but most people aren't happy working there.

Cons

Lazy Careless Management, False Promises, Horrible Schedules

They say they "hire from within". They really mean they hire managers from other companies, and immediately promote them within a month or 2 of working at Publix.

They hire people at higher rates than people who have been there longer, and have more experience. So you will see people come in and not know what they are doing, yet they are making $2/hr+ more than associates who have been there for years. So associates who are making less are teaching the new people who are making more how to work the Publix way.

Advice to Management

Lead by example instead of cracking a whip and pushing people. Stop hanging out with other managers during store hours, and do the work you are getting paid to do. Stop trying to avoid busy days/times.

"Publix The Unethical"

I worked at Publix part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Short shifts
    Minimal work
    Young age requirement to work
    Various locations
    Nice uniforms

Cons

Publix has disappointed me. I have been working for Publix for quite some time. Unfortunately, because I'm not super buddies with management or their friends, I always do the work others don't like to do, yet they overlook me. They even compliment my work ethic, yet they don't want to move me up because I have do not have an open schedule like the other "students" that work there. I say this because they barely go to school. I strongly believe that one can excel at work and school simultaneously because I have seen it, therefore I strive for success in both areas. I am honors student with many awards in leadearship and service. In addition, I have received many scholarships for my community and college involvement. Even though, I am highly qualified to become successful at Publix, they seem to deter much growth. I don't understand why I am successful in my community and university, but not at Publix. They only look at the favorites or close family friends to help them move up. I have heard managers talk negatively behind my back and I have not done anything for them to treat me so unfairly. I have realized that unless I want to give up my education, that is the only way I can become successful at Publix because they ARE NOT flexible with students. This company is only for those who do not wish to go to school because only those are allowed to move up. Unless your a business student, the rest can just forget about it.

Advice to Management

Students should be able to work in customer service and be a full-time student. Even if they are not a business student. Managers should not be allowed to retaliate when someone stands up for themselves for unfair treatment.

10. "Like not having a job at all"

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk/Bagger in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk/Bagger in Cary, NC

I have been working at Publix part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice coworkers some customers are enjoyable paid weekly

Cons

No hours hard to move up to full time

Advice to Management

Give part timers more hours especially older people who have bills and responsibilities

Showing 259 of 4,259 reviews