Publix Reviews | Glassdoor

Publix Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits fun place closes (in 468 reviews)

• Extremely good company with good benefits (in 250 reviews)

Cons
  • Games management plays when they want to keep you around as a part-time lackey but never give you full-time (in 379 reviews)

• hard to get a benefit if you are part time (in 214 reviews)

1. "Work Here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dacula, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dacula, GA

Pros

Good company with opportunity to advance good bebefits

Cons

long hours during holiday times

Advice to Management

Dont threaten to fire people for simple mistakes

"Not what you know, its who you know"

Current Employee - Customer Service Staff in Brooksville, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Staff in Brooksville, FL

Pros

Best way to get hired and/or promoted is by being friends with someone (preferably a manager) in the company. I got offered a promotion over other who have been there years longer than me simply because of my relationships with managers, Good job over-all depending on your store.

Cons

Nights. Weekends. Retail hours. pissed off customers. Lazy associates (your expected to compensate for their lack of work) Fifteen cent only raises...

Advice to Management

Change the fifteen cent raise policy. its insulting to your valuable associates who go above and beyond. And be more aware of who's doing what.

"It's a job!"

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Nashville, TN

Pros

I sought employment with this company because I needed to provide health insurance for my family. (I had been self employed) I started out as a cashier, went to DSD clerk, then HBC clerk and now grocery clerk. I loved it! I was learning new stuff all the time, the job was fast paced and exciting, always a challenge. My store manager was very enthusiastic and you couldn't help but jump on that train.

Cons

Then I transferred to a different location. The department manager doesn't seem to understand what he's doing and nowhere near as efficient as my previous manager. He is very good at bashing his team. The store manager is rarely seen in more than two locations around the store. Worst thing for me is I've learned nothing new in over a year....feel as though I'm just hanging around putting in the hours.

Advice to Management

It has been explained to me that the extensive training of Publix associates is to guarantee that customers have the same experience no matter what Publix location they shop at. Is there some way to ensure that the work experience is the same for associates no matter what location they wind up at?

"Retirement"

Current Employee - Management in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Management in Nashville, TN

Pros

Retirement benefits used to be fair and unbasised. Stock was basied on us not the DOW. I have made a good living working with Publix. The customers are great. I enjoy my job for the most part.

Cons

Retirement benefits are being manipulated, senior management doesn't have a clue. I fear that the changes in our upper leadership has changed to the point that we are in a downhill slide and senior management can't or choose not to stop it. I used to bleed Publix, now I fear my future with the company and my ability to retire comfortably is going away.

Advice to Management

Retirement benefits (stock) should be based on company performance, not excuse driven. Each time we read the company performance statement and we've done well, their is an excuse as to why the price of company stock doesn't reflect it.

5. "Stability"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeland, FL

Pros

With the economy up or down it should be a very stable place to work, with not any lay offs in sight.

Cons

The benefits are good but not as good as they used to be in comparison with the rest of the country.

Advice to Management

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians, the company is corporate heavy

"Publix is great...most of the time"

Current Employee - Customer Service Staff in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Staff in Sarasota, FL

Pros

As a full time associate, I get more benefits than I did working for Wachovia Bank. I am the "experienced" closing office staff, so I get perks when it comes to my schedule. They are accommodating when it comes to needing time off, and getting vacation does not require much, as far as time. In the 5 years I've been there, I have a nice 401k built, better than anyone else my age (20 years old.)

Cons

They have almost eliminated the back office position, which is less secure in my opinion. In the effort to save the company money, hours have been cut back significantly, which affects the morale of associates. Some managers feel they are better than everyone else, and will make you feel stupid in front of customers.

Advice to Management

Back up the office staff when it comes to returns or check cashing. Having banking experience, I know what to look for, and do not like when management goes and approves a check I turned down. Although the feeling I get when it gets returned from the bank makes it better. Listen to your associates, and try not to show so much favoritism.

"NOT A GREAT PLACE TO WORK, NOT A PLEASURE TO CUSTOMERS OR ASSOCIATES, AND NO APPRECIATION FOR A HARD WORKING INIDVIDUAL!"

Current Employee - Deli Associate in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Deli Associate in Alpharetta, GA

Pros

Bonuses, most associates are friendly and easy to get along with, employee prescription discount program, cleanliness in the departments, and most management staff are pleasant and treat non-managment staff with mutual repsect.

Cons

The deliberate way of cutting part-time hours (and increasing the the minimum hour requirment at the same time) in order to remove them from the group medical coverage within the past year. Favoritism in regard, to how many hours worked per week. For example, certain part-time people get more hours in one week than other part-time people in the same department. Sometimes at least 3 times more hours than others. This is allowed, doesn't sound fair to me! More seniority means nothing either. Hard work and effort is not appreciated anymore (that can be said for a lot of companies too though). Take closing for example, some associates use the "FOOD ONLY" sink to clean equipment in with bleach and soap. Some use no soap at all, because apparently it takes too much time to clean things properly. They gotta get out of there at exactly 10pm or 11pm on the dot! I don't see why there is a rush anyway. I also don't see the "pleasure" in trying to pressure people to buy more in the deli. Personally, I can't stand it when I go somewhere and every employee interrupts me while I am shopping or tries to get me to buy something else I don't need! I don't like it when people do that to me (I just don't go back, and I don't enjoy being made to feel like I am a wallet, and not a person who is just trying to survive), Aggravation like that, from the employees is not a "pleasure". Another bite is the times that management chooses to hold staff meetings, like 5 am in the morning. Most people are sleeping still at that our anyway. It is a not good idea because: people are driving in a sleepy fog, people are irritable when they are forced to be up and at em in the pitch black of night, and how can you expect people to concentrate and focus when they are in such a tired condition? God forbid they should open the store an hour later once or twice a year, or have others come in from other stores and departments to cover for an hour.

Advice to Management

Treat all associates in your departments fairly and equally. What goes for one part-timer should go for all part-timers in the department. If a department meeting is needed do it at a sensible hour (at least wait for the sun to come up) so something may be accomplished. Isn't that the reason for the meeting in the first place? Try to retain associates also, appreciate it when someone is a hard worker. Give recognition, give a gift card (other than Publix) when someone has earned something. There are many others that Publix sells in the stores. WeI can buy food with Food Stamps or cash. Publix gift cards are BORING especially when you work there. STOP FAVORITISM!

"MY PUBLIX"

Current Employee - HBC/GRS in Largo, FL
    Current Employee - HBC/GRS in Largo, FL

Pros

i came from Albertson's due to the buy out. i'll have to admit i was pretty scared of the change but the people and management i met at MY PUBLIX have been great to me so far. As a single parent they have worked with me to allow me to be there for my family and still provide for them. I love the hidden benefits such as the bonuses everyone gets for each inventory and the end of year bonus. i love how we are kept informed of our benefits with paid meetings and how we are so involved with the community. the people i work with and the customers i help all make me love going to work. the raises are nice too.

Cons

nothing really bad to say, just a couple like shrink and lost prevention i really wish there was a way to stop the return scams and the high volume of theft.

Advice to Management

keep doing what your doing and don't stray off that path. the competition can't touch us in benefits, customer service and pride...

9. "Publix a great place to work, maybe."

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Satellite Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Satellite Beach, FL

Pros

Stock given to all employees who are vested. Always promote from within. competitive salaries for key positions.

Cons

Difficult to achieve full time status. Promoting from within causes qualified people to look elsewhere for a job.

Advice to Management

Pay for new hires should be commiserate with experience.

"Publix is as good as it gets in the grocery business in Florida"

Former Employee - Grocery Team Leader in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Grocery Team Leader in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Compared to other grocery retailers (I have worked for 3 and know others that worked for competitors I haven't worked for), publix has a far better system in place. Dairy and Frozen food use CGO ordering (pros and cons), the work load is less since there is more help available. The managers I worked for always understood when something didn't go as planned. Benefits were good, Publix still gives Christmas bonuses, stock incentives and a quarterly bonus to EVERY employee in a store that meets budget.

Cons

The only drawback to me was the time contraints on promotions. I understand why publix does this, but it is very difficult coming into the organization as a stocker after having 15 years experience managing other chains. On average even with experience I saw associates becoming assistant grocery managers in 2-3 years and grocery managers in 5 years or the same as another exceptional associate.

Advice to Management

Be open to outsiders ideas, they sometimes work better than you were taught internally. Most managers were open, but a couple weren't.