Pubmatic Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Rajeev Goel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Management cares about the people in the company and providing both a good work environment and work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• tasty lunch twice a week, fully stocked kitchen and fridge, nice people, flexible work environment, people work hard and make sure they have fun too (in 13 reviews)

Cons

1. "Great people and a great culture"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance and flexible working options.
    Lots of fun, team events and social activities
    Free snacks and catered lunch
    Great leadership
    Great co-workers
    Building amazing software

Cons

Open plan office can occasionally get noisy / distracting. Not really an issue but I felt I should put something!

Advice to Management

The last 12 months have been an amazing turnaround. Dont let it slip!

"shortsighted company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited vacation, flexible work time but long hours

Cons

Shortsighted company
    Inability to retain good people
    Hire & Fire
    Morale is on the decline as the company struggles with vision and defining career paths
    Due to many time zones the company operates in, there are long hours

Advice to Management

Lead!

"Not a place for work stability"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Pubmatic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home options and free lunch.

Cons

Too many layoffs. No matter how good you perform you get laid off. You get a performance award this month and then let go the next month. Performance doesn't matter.

4. "Great Company with Smart People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are some of the smartest and most passionate I have worked with in the industry. The leadership is very engaged with all levels of the organization, and makes an effort to always push excellence while also valuing fun, and has been working hard to ensure that PubMatic has a positive, inclusive culture.

Cons

It is definitely an intense environment. The industry moves very quickly, and PubMatic is always striving to be at the forefront. Not a place for people who want to breeze through the day.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on being open and transparent with the organization

Pubmatic Response

Mar 4, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the great review! It’s brilliant to see that the work we are putting in is having a positive effect on our colleagues and teams!

"Joke of a company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Pubmatic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Free food - twice a week
    2. Good venues for sales conference
    3. Fantastic leave / WFH culture - no policy at all

Cons

1. No value of employee. No retention. If you make money for the company or are in client facing role, someone might listen to your issues. If you are in a support role, they will overwork you (under the pretext of efficiency) till you quit. You can be moved under any manager based on management feedback, whether it makes sense or not.
    2. HR and the CEO have no insight of ground levels. They just take feedback from VP++. Some of the VPs have too many individual reportees and they dont really know / understand what each person / team does.
    3. HR is negligent of the problems faced by employees. E.g. one of the VPs had about 6-7 turnovers in his team for director levels and HR did nothing to prevent them from happening.
    4. Customer Success roles are for namesake. Ops teams end up lifting all the burden and teams keep blaming each other for client failure.
    5. Product and Engineering think they run the show. And wont take any negative feedback or criticism. You might get fired if you say that loud enough.

Advice to Management

None - its beyond repair. Smart folks have moved on realizing that they have no value in this company.

Pubmatic Response

Mar 4, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition

I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I really am sorry that your experience of PubMatic did not meet your expectations or our intentions. The last 12 months have... More

"Bad management, clueless leadership, no culture, low-end talent."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many except the unlimited PTO. Fully stocked kitchens and catered lunch twice-a-week. They try - but the food is typically low quality.

Cons

This company is a joke. The worst company I have ever worked for in terms of culture or product. Zero culture to speak of. No energy, no excitement, no innovation. No recognition for your contribution.

Weak leadership. Short-term thinking. No long-term company vision or clear strategy. High attrition rate. No respect for employees. Hi-level talent either leaves or is let go becasue they cost too much, so company is left with the bottom feeders.

Benefits are poor, no 401k match.

If you’re skilled, talented, experienced you will soon be “managed out” or you will leave because you just can’t stand it. Many good people leave soon after they join. Average, low-quality, low-skilled, brainless gossip mongers thrive in this ‘playground politics’ environment.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees at least enough to know what their roles are. Take a look at middle management. Work on creating some kind of genuine culture.

"Great place to learn and grow!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Pubmatic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a company which encourages you to own the area you are working on. You get to work with some really smart people and solve challenging problems.

Cons

Earlier, there was a time when company focused on too many things which essentially caused weaknesses in the core area because resources were thinly spread on too many things. However, there seems to be a renewed focus in the areas where PubMatic has traditionally been good.

Advice to Management

Good to keep focusing in the core areas where PubMatic has been traditionally good at. Also, it's great to keep working on employee engagement.

"Into the Deep"

I worked at Pubmatic full-time

Pros

+ A great place to build a network that keeps on giving after you've left.
    + Some superb hires you'll be able to learn from (but they don't stay long).
    + Great teammates
    + Spring board for mid-career employees

Cons

Similar to being at Pubmatic, there's something that happens to the human body when it gets pushed underwater. You don't simply drown - something in the most ancient parts of your brain switches on and, recognizing, that you are somewhere you're not meant to be, tries to keep you alive.

To all still there: Before you're pushed too deep under the ship (PubMatic) sitting in stagnant water I hope you to come up for air and swim to shore.

- Communication between teams and with the company overall is very poor.

- Execution of new product launches and GTM material often fall short and are delayed to the market.

- Wouldn't recommend to engineers. You'll work on your code, but won't be exposed to market feedback to understand the true value of what you're working on.

- 30%+ annual voluntary attrition rate. It's created gaps through out the comapny that aren't being back filled. Instead of hiring the best possible candidates management positions are often offered to in-experienced employees to keep them from leaving.

- Performance goals aren't being met, which will directly impact compensation if you're in a commercial role.

Advice to Management

Clean house from top down. You know who you are.

"Not what it use to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great, smart people who are the glue holding this company together. Some of the perks are ok, catered lunches, flexible schedule.

Cons

While we work with very smart people, management keeps letting them walk out the door. The product is crap and even after promises of improvements nothing has improved. Communication between teams and with the company overall is very poor. Launches and execution of new products often fail and we tend to underperform compared to most of our competitors. Leadership and the exec team are the main culture problem. Employees are not appreciated and we are short staffed all around.

Advice to Management

Sell as soon as possible before you run this place to the ground! Listen to your employees, really listen don't just hear us and do what you want anyway. Stop placing blame and take ownership.

10. "Awesome Learning"

Former Employee - Maharashtra in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Maharashtra in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Pubmatic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Awesome people to work with.
    - Good learning

Cons

- Became a typical service based organization once the upper management changed after 2013.

Advice to Management

- Bring more product folks.