Pubmatic Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 28, 2017

4.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rajeev Goel

Pros
  • Management cares about the people in the company and providing both a good work environment and work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Great Work culture, supportive managers (At least in the team I work into) less restrictions (in 12 reviews)

Cons

1. "Great people and a great culture"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance and flexible working options.
    Lots of fun, team events and social activities
    Free snacks and catered lunch
    Great leadership
    Great co-workers
    Building amazing software

Cons

Open plan office can occasionally get noisy / distracting. Not really an issue but I felt I should put something!

Advice to Management

The last 12 months have been an amazing turnaround. Dont let it slip!

2. "Great Company with Smart People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are some of the smartest and most passionate I have worked with in the industry. The leadership is very engaged with all levels of the organization, and makes an effort to always push excellence while also valuing fun, and has been working hard to ensure that PubMatic has a positive, inclusive culture.

Cons

It is definitely an intense environment. The industry moves very quickly, and PubMatic is always striving to be at the forefront. Not a place for people who want to breeze through the day.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on being open and transparent with the organization

Pubmatic Response

Mar 4, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the great review! It’s brilliant to see that the work we are putting in is having a positive effect on our colleagues and teams!

"The Best Three Years of My Employed Life"

Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Pubmatic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The time that I spent at PubMatic was truly the most enriching and memorable years of my professional life. PubMatic allowed me to grow and build so many parts of the company, and myself, to the extent that I do not think I could have had that level of experience in any other company.

I was able to travel the world, learn foreign markets, strengthen my technical acumen, develop business relationships, and make life long friendships.

To anybody that wants be inserted into a company with enterprise technology, awesome staff, and the ability to choose their own adventure. Then this is the company for you.

Cons

Do no expect PubMatic to hand you growth, you will need to plan your own development, and execute that plan. Execution will involve the physical tasks and politics that there in.

Advice to Management

Don't be so blind sided.

5. "Growing team, more opportunities to be promoted internally"

Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY

Pros

PubMatic has some of the smartest team members I've ever worked with. Both as a past client and current employee, the PubMatic team consults and educates, positioning themselves as thought leaders in Adtech. It has been great to be apart of an office that embraces career growth and training. We challenge each other to think outside the box and take on projects in areas we want to learn more about. This company culture makes me excited to come to the office every day and my career roadmap for 6, 12 and 18 months shows me there are opportunities to advance within the org.

Cons

As a growing company in the Adtech space, it is a challenge to maintain the culture and continue to hire. The company really depends on the current employees to keep the positive energy level up and to teach those who are new to the team.

Advice to Management

Sit down with middle level management more often to get updates and feedback. Please keep the current level of transparency even as we continue to grow- it is greatly appreciated to know short and long term strategy.

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very well known in the industry
    - Fast growing. Went from roughly 300 to 600 employees in 2014. Looking to grow to roughly 800 employees by 2016.
    - Huge investment in employees. Continual HR polls asking employees for feedback on what they can do better.
    - Brilliant/incredibly smart team to work with. A lot of people actually leave places like Google to come here, because they feel the opportunity is stronger.
    - Thorough training for new employees
    - Very appealing compensation packages
    - Great benefits (unlimited vacation days!, fully stocked kitchen, catered meals brought in every Monday and Thursday)
    - Huge opportunity for personal growth
    - People who work here love working here. They work hard, but don't work ridiculous office hours.
    - Strong camaraderie within the office. People actually eat lunch together in the cafeteria, they don't bring lunch back to their desks and continue working.
    - The CEO is extremely approachable. He actually found me on my first day, addressed me by name, and welcomed me to the company.
    - Senior management is very open to receiving feedback from employees, and they actually will implement a lot of the recommendations.
    - Very future driven. As a sales rep, I feel we have a huge leg up in the industry by continually being first to market with new products.

Cons

If you live in San Francisco, the commute down the peninsula can be draining. However, the office is in walking distance to Caltrain.

Advice to Management

Open an additional office in San Francisco

"Challenging, rewarding, fun work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are looking for a challenging, complex, thought-provoking work environment, PubMatic is the place for you. The company & its leadership reward employees that do good work, and that are proactive in making PubMatic successful. Over the last year I have seen a transformation for the better; in the past it may have been hard to speak your mind and make a change for the better. That said, I truly believe the leadership team is dedicated to transparency & "open door" policy - encouraging input from everyone in the organization so that together we can all achieve more.

There are some incredibly smart, talented hard working people at every level & every geo. A great company culture is all about its people at the end of the day, and we have the right ingredients in that regard. I also believe PubMatic is on a continued rise performance-wise; being in a market that is growing, and growing as a company yourself, have and will play a huge role in making PubMatic a great place to work.

Some groups complain about being worked too hard and not being rewarded. I don't believe that's true now, even if it had been before. And I can tell you, having come from an extremely challenging work environment working 8am to 10pm on a regular basis, till 2 am on a semi-regular basis, with extreme stress and demands, this is nowhere near there. It's all relative. Yes, if you want a 9-5, don't work here. Join a 10K person corporation.

Cons

There are some growing pains at the company - difficulty to find the right information, lack of superb training, poor information sharing across groups, but I believe leadership is taking all the right steps to fix this. There have been some mis-steps in 2014, but I see leadership holding themselves accountable and making this a priority for 2015.

And it's not all on leadership! There are also some incredible talented people taking this upon themselves to make a difference from the bottom up. And guess, they will succeed!!

Again, if you are interested in working at a place where everything works smoothly, Ad Tech & startups are not right for you period. That's all.

Advice to Management

There are some members on the leadership team that do not comply with company core values (like transparency, like bias towards action) I say they need to change or get out. That's it, they are pulling down company morale and generally have a negative impact on culture.

"Growth & Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

PubMatic is at the center of some huge trends and a very fast growing industry – depending on what you are looking for, this can be good or bad. First, the good…

When a company is growing at the type of rates that PubMatic is growing at, the amount of responsibility that becomes available on a daily basis is massive. There are constantly new challenges that need to get solved, and due to the velocity, those challenges aren’t neatly given to certain individuals based on org structure and title. Responsibility and opportunity is up for grabs to those who are willing to step up. This is possible because of the growth rates – I’ve worked for slower growing companies and it’s not the case. If you are looking to truly own something and see it through, PubMatic is likely a good fit.

To be successful in an environment like this, it’s important that you have access to as many business metrics and as much executive thinking as possible (if you are expected to own sr. level projects, then you need to have access to sr. level thinking as well). The amount of data and transparency into the company’s strategy that is provided by the executive team is phenomenal. I’ve never been at a company that shares as openly as PubMatic. This is important to me as I’m trying to learn how a company is run and want to understand how key decisions are made. One caveat… it takes some effort to learn the systems and understand how to access the data, but once you learn, everything is available. Not everyone at the company is willing to put in this effort – and that’s their loss. Note: the company is working on simplifying this, but my point remains the same.

Cons

A mentor of mine once told me that the difference between lower level contributors and higher level contributors is the complexity of the problems they are asked to deal with. When you are a manager, problems are handed down to you in neatly organized bite-sized chunks (which isn’t the case for a VP). As mentioned above, the fast growth of the company often results in individuals being asked to solve complex cross-functional challenges larger than their “title” or experience level may justify. Depending on who you are, this may sound like a growth opportunity or an overly daunting task. It’s important to know where you fit on this spectrum to understand if PubMatic is a good place for you.

PubMatic is a bit chaotic. In my mind, this is good. This is a result of the growth and exactly what I want to be in the middle of. Nevertheless, if process and order are your bag, then keep this in mind.

In short, PubMatic is a place for people who want to be a part of building something. Building is messy, frustrating and challenging, but it’s also more rewarding. If you want to join something that is already built and you become a part of a culture that is already solidified, then PubMatic is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue being transparent, which will become harder and harder as the company grows.

9. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong fantastic leadership team:
        Reachable, open, ambitious, focused CEO and Co-founders
        Super sharp CTO
        Business guru president and CMO

PubMatic is among few profitable ad-tech companies, ensuring a bright future

Cons

The HR department can use improvement to keep talent and help them to grow their careers.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work to foster an environment where talent can develop.

10. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time

Pros

I recently joined the team here at PubMatic and couldn't be happier. Great culture, challenging work, career advancement opportunities and the people all around are great: warm, genuine and welcoming. PubMatic is truly a great place to work and I'm excited to see where things go.

Cons

There are no comments necessary.

Advice to Management

No advice needed. The President is the most engaging, resourceful Executive I have ever had the pleasure of working with. He is truly present and available to each person in the organization. Class act.

"Expectations Met"

I have been working at Pubmatic full-time

Pros

Innovative culture. Fun environment. Smart people. Management cares about the people in the company and providing both a good work environment and work/life balance.

Cons

There are a lot of open positions to be filled.