Pueblo City Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Personally rewarding"

I worked at Pueblo City Schools full-time

Pros

Rewarding work for a community in need of strong professionals.

Cons

Salaries are relatively weak as the district is very revenue limited.

2. "Loved my job"

I worked at Pueblo City Schools full-time

Pros

I was able to use the degree I went to college for. Being able to attend free trainings during the summer was a plus, but I only used to further my knowledge.

Cons

Everything, they spent too much money on administration and not enough on the teachers or students. I only received one raise while working there and when I left I had a master's degree, but was still receiving a second year teacher salary.

Advice to Management

Really no advice because up until recently they were on turn around status, they already know that they are not keeping up with requirements.

3. "Former Middle School Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Pueblo City Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent and supportive fellow teachers.

Cons

School administration is under a lot of pressure to bring up student test scores.

4. "NSW"

Former Employee - Nutrition Service Worker in Pueblo, CO
    Former Employee - Nutrition Service Worker in Pueblo, CO

Pros

flexible schedule, worked with students and staff, great coworkers

Cons

minimal pay, no option for full time hours

Advice to Management

increase pay or hours

"Horrible Management from the Top down"

Current Employee - Educator in Pueblo, CO
    Current Employee - Educator in Pueblo, CO

Pros

The only upside to working in Pueblo City Schools is meeting the occasional nice person who is honest and worthy of trust. These individuals are rare, but can be found if you can stay focused among all the abuse from the "locals."

Cons

Pueblo Colorado, and therefore Pueblo City Schools, is the most nepotistic place I have ever lived and worked. The hierarchy is like a spider's web, with connections that reach far beyond any you could ever imagine. Incompetence abounds at every level as employees are allowed to do (or not do) whatever they wish so long as they have the right connections. Middle and Higher level positions are filled based on who you know, not what you know. Gossip is currency and cruelty is punishment for anyone who bucks the status quo. Laziness is apparent at all levels, and anyone who wants to actually perform the job they were hired to do will be struck down as it makes the others look bad. Human resources and payroll, inarguably the most important department to those who need a paycheck, are staffed by individuals who have been there for decades and who continue to practice as if laws and contracts never change. I dismissed the negative reviews of Pueblo City Schools from my local friends, an act I regret with all sincerity. Whatever negative you hear about this district you should multiply tenfold, as words simply cannot describe the horrible treatment you will receive in this district.

Advice to Management

I suggest that all mid-level specialists have a review of their qualifications for their current positions. A survey should be sent out, reviewed, and acted upon regarding the levels of student support provided by those who are not tied down to student schedules. Find out who is coming in late and leaving early, who is abusing individuals they do not like (i.e. bullying by adults to adults), and who is wasting hours each week on extra lunch time, trumped-up projects, and personal activities. Transfer those individuals back into the classroom and watch how quickly they jump ship!

"No Salary Advancement"

Former Employee - Teacher in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Teacher in Littleton, CO

I worked at Pueblo City Schools (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great administration and teachers.
    You really make a difference there.

Cons

Rough student population.
    No salary advancement.

7. "Volunteering within my high school education at my high school."

Former Intern - Volunteer in Pueblo, CO
    Former Intern - Volunteer in Pueblo, CO

I worked at Pueblo City Schools as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being involved in the community, helping new students find where they are suppose to go, ect.

Cons

Dealing with lots of difficult students and parents.

"All right"

Former Employee - Teacher in Pueblo, CO
    Former Employee - Teacher in Pueblo, CO

I worked at Pueblo City Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to learn and work

Cons

None at this point in time.

Advice to Management

None at this point in time

"Frustrating lack of Priorities"

Former Employee - Help Desk Coordinator in Pueblo, CO
    Former Employee - Help Desk Coordinator in Pueblo, CO

I worked at Pueblo City Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The IT team works really hard to keep the district running. Despite being overworked they hustle and for the most part keep completing projects in a timely fashion.

Cons

All the money that goes into this District gets funneled to Administrators or Consultants. When I was there they seemed to be buying any fancy new program or solution they wanted despite not having the classroom hardware to run anything. Not to mention what little is left for the classroom goes completely to the magnet schools. They'll get new computers and laptops for their kids while the rest of the schools are dealing with PC's that are nearly 6 years old. If you want to make money in this district you need to be working in the Administration building as that is where most of the money is.

Advice to Management

Get a clue and quit micromanaging. Put the money where it needs to be as well, in the classroom so teachers don't have to buy their own books or deal with PC's that are older than some of the kinder-gardeners. Its only a few more years before the state takes you over for underachievement.

"Terrible District Administration"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Pueblo, CO
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Pueblo, CO

I worked at Pueblo City Schools as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Majority of teachers are dedicated, hard-working.

Cons

No true leadership or direction. Unnecessary number of administrators who mostly spent time in ad. building, not at schools. Not willing to look at works well at successful schools.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of communicating with teachers and community about your long term goals.