Puget Sound Security Reviews | Glassdoor

George Schaeffer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "OK company"

I have been working at Puget Sound Security part-time

Pros

If you dont care about the pay and are not picky it is a good job. A lot of hours if you need them

Cons

bad pay. some sites are too far

"Security Officer"

Former Employee - Security Officer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Puget Sound Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All the overtime you can stand.
    Many sites were quite pleasant.

Cons

All the overtime you can stand.
    Pay was rather terrible.
    Constant call outs result in constant overtime offers to reliable employees. Unfortunately, there was very little room for advancement or stability, no matter how many extra shifts a person accepted.

Advice to Management

A small amount of recognition, or even consideration goes a long way. If an employee constantly works with dispatch going above and beyond to help the company, scheduling could do a bit more to at least make that employee's primary schedule somewhat reliable.

"Security Officer"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Puget Sound Security full-time

Pros

The people you work with are very caring, The pay is ok for contract security, the CEO and the owner of the company knows your name you are not just some number like you are with some of the other bigger company, when I call and have a question they have always been helpful and nice to me. and if you like OT they always have a lot of extra hours. all and all it not a bad place to work.

Cons

They do seem to have problems with there scheduling manager, I hear it from a lot of officers that he can be tough to work with, the on site training is not as good as it could be, sometime we get new officer on site that don't have the training they should have before they are place at a clients site.

Advice to Management

Listen to your officers more, get a new scheduler manager or retrain him, this seems to be your major problem, but even with these things I would still tell a friend about this company.

"A Very Mediocre Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shoreline, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shoreline, WA

I worked at Puget Sound Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a whole lot to be said on a positive level. Lots of overtime was offered but it wasn't nearly as often as they were trying to say initially. Most of the co-workers you have to deal with are pretty decent.

Cons

Bad pay, also the clients would be difficult to deal with and most of the time the management would ALWAYS take the clients side. The management was absolutely horrible with a couple of exceptions. There was a point I was working literally every single day, over ten hours a day. I would start at seven am and get off at ten pm. They would also find ways to screw you on overtime pay.

"You don't want to work for this company"

Former Employee - Security Officer
    Former Employee - Security Officer

I worked at Puget Sound Security (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a good job, and you meet lots of great people. They have some good post, and it's money

Cons

When a contract is about to end they won't tell you, and if they don't have anymore work for you, they will fight to keep you from getting your unemployment. They will lie so you won't be able to get you unemployment. They will also stick you at sites where you're outside the whole time, and won't have a place to keep warm.

Advice to Management

You should stop lying to screw people over. You should also communicate with your people to let them know what's going on !

"Don't work for them unless you have no choice."

Pros

Lots of hours a week and get to met new people.

Cons

No benefits not even gas card for the long distant drives so most of your paycheck goes for gas. High over turn so you get stuck covering shifts with no days off. If you request a location closer they will give you problems or ignored you. If you have an emergency they expect you to come in as soon as your done. If you don't put a two weeks notice in you get paid medium wage for all the days you have work and even if you put a week in they still pay you medium wage and won't tell you till you notice on your paycheck so you ended up working for peanuts.

Advice to Management

If you going make someone drive long distance gas cards would be a benefit and also if someone gives you less then 2week notice inform them it would be medium wage so they have a choice to either work or not. Also listing to what people have to say not just push it aside.

"Worst company around"

I worked at Puget Sound Security full-time

Pros

- Over 40hr work weeks
    - Free uniforms
    - Don't have to buy patches
    - Driving, unarmed security and dispatch postions
    - Will hire you on the spot

Cons

- If you request time off you will be mocked.
    - Highest turn over rate. They hire 3-7 new employees a week.
    - Low paying positions only
    - They do not pay holiday pay (Veteran that was NOT payed for Fourth of July)
    - Gave my two week notice and my last paycheck was minimum wage.
    - Attempted to convince me I did not get overtime for pay weeks split up by pay periods
    - Verbal harassment of employees
    - Over charged a client and attempted to take the difference out of my paycheck.
    - No direct deposit, due to the payroll account coming out of the owners personal account
    - Over worked scheduler that constantly makes mistakes and attempts to pin them on the employees
    - Guard license fees are collected off your paycheck
    - They change the recruitment incentive bonus period so they don't have to pay it
    - Refused to supply me with my pay stubs

Advice to Management

You need to hire another scheduler. Having one person dedicated to it is killing your business and him. The payroll account should not be in the CEOs name. Mocking individuals who work more then 40+hrs a week is unacceptable. Everyone needs to make a living wage, but feeling like you're going to get ridiculed and fired for asking for a day off is unacceptable.

"Don't do it"

Pros

Do bit work here, you will regret it

Cons

They make promises they will never keep and if a contract ends and there are no sites in the area then they actually fight so you can't get your unemployment. Does not help that all of dispatch are unprofessional and will lie about any conversation you ever have with them

Advice to Management

Keep your promises and stop turning a blind eye to dispatch they get ruder and curse me out every week almost, this is most the guy in dispatch.

"Patrol Driver"

I have been working at Puget Sound Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Low supervision - most accountability is held through various tracking apps on a company phone (at least, for the drivers). If you don't like working with a manager looking over your shoulder, this is a nice job.

Low effort - not to belittle the security aspect, but this is definitely an entry level position. Most jobs with this company simply require you to be attentive and observant. You may occasionally interact with people (clients or otherwise), but if anything serious actually happens your main job is to call the police.

Stability - this company has been around for quite a while. Despite the high turnover rate (they seem to struggle to replace people at times), I don't see this company failing any time soon.

Overtime opportunities - again, there is a high turnover rate here. If you let them know you are willing to work extra to cover scheduling gaps and call-ins you are likely to get the extra hours.

Cons

Unpredictable schedules - your best bet for getting a job here is by telling them you are available any day, any time. They will take you up on that offer, often with graveyard shifts. Also, schedules are only made a week in advance so you do not have much notice for making plans. Many positions will fall into predictable schedules, but it is not uncommon to cover extra shifts at random.

Little to no training - you will receive general training when you are hired, but very few positions get specific training and instructions. You will often need to work out what is required of you from limited directions, and usually your best bet for clear direction is to get the client contact number from the office and ask them yourself.

Budget equipment - the company-issued uniforms are kind of low quality. They work, but they could be better. I actually met someone once while I was on a daytime post that commented on the uniform, saying they ran a different security company. Puget Sound seems to have a reputation in the industry... Additionally, most vehicles are older and minimal maintenance is done on them. If something is broken, report it constantly or they are liable to forget about it.

Advice to Management

Hire competent guards, I have seen more than a few that barely know what they're doing. There was also one specific example I once saw of a guard that knew he couldn't work the site right and told you so, yet you scheduled him there anyway. Eventually he actually messed something up and you moved him. When I saw that, I saw it from the client's perspective. What does that make us look like, putting people that can't do the job there? What kind of service is that?

Fix your scheduling issues. Schedule things a bit further in advance, even just a week earlier would be good. It's not fun to learn on Tuesday that you are suddenly scheduled to work Thursday, or even at midnight on Wednesday.

"There is an ongoing effort to improve"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Puget Sound Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can see an effort to improve how this company works. Increased training at the start of your job and new technology are being used. I like the direction

Cons

Advancement is not much of a possibility unless you ask for it. So ask for it.

Advice to Management

Keep working on improving. It would be nice to see upper management visit us officers