Pulse (UK) Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Pulse (UK) CEO Richard MacMillan
Richard MacMillan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is lots of career progression available within the company and the career pathways are very clear" (in 11 reviews)

• "Great benefits, commission structures (in the right sector) not you're hard sell enviroment" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "But this is something that could be done with career progression" (in 5 reviews)

• "Too Target driven - some targets that are not always achievable, ie" (in 3 reviews)

1. "great place!"

Pros

great environment to work at.

Cons

help lower management succeed to get better position.

May 11, 2016 – Head of HR

Thank you for your review. It's good to hear you enjoy your working environment. As for helping lower management succeed, this is something we are currently working on and feel passionate about - we... More

2. "Average"

I have been working at Pulse (UK) part-time

Pros

Allows flexibility allows diversity and staff have been friendly to work with

Cons

They dont pay for all the shifts and they once sent me 3 pay slips for each shift i had done instead of adding the shifts to totalise and then tax me not tax me for each shift i had done for them.

Delay in payments.. not confirming whether u are on or off a shift on time which becomes an inconvinience on my side.

Advice to Management

Please improve on payroll system and booking of shifts

3. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Broxbourne, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The training and support I have received since joining the business has been excellent, I can always turn to managers and directors for advice. Working with a really good team makes coming into work a pleasure and I have felt welcome and part of the team since day 1.
    I also know that if I want to progress here I can and the career path is clear and available.
    I love that I get to deal with different businesses that fall under the umbrella of UKICS, this makes my days varied and stimulating.

Cons

Personally for me there aren't any cons that are noteworthy.

Advice to Management

Keep up what you are doing as I think its a great place and team to be part of, I'm enjoying my time here.

4. "Great at the beginning"

I worked at Pulse (UK) full-time

Pros

Good people, good benefits, dress down Fridays

Cons

Too much pressure on targets when the industry was changing

5. "Fantastic recruitment company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broxbourne, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent career progression, great benefits, real family feel, open and honest management, first class training, allows autonomy in role, forward thinking and encourages innovation.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to measure performance if profits aren’t moving forward - this is generally the nature of recruitment.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to staff and moving forward with new ideas.

Aug 17, 2018 – Group HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We've worked hard to ensure we create career progression opportunities for everyone so it great to hear this is having a positive impact. It also... More

6. "Business Manager"

I worked at Pulse (UK) full-time

Pros

I have fond memories of Christmas parties, managers away days, long service awards and summer barbecues when we had them. The geographical reach of ICS was always a plus which meant service to candidates and clients was simple and effective. While I didn't enjoy the training sessions as I felt they were outdated, meeting up with people from other offices was a good to share best practise. On a personal level I grew fond of many people there including my first director and the CEO, Richard. There is career progression but it's quite unavailing.

Cons

I worked my way up through Pulse over the course of 8 years. I worked hard every day because I wanted to grow the ladder, lead a team, earn more money and become pivotal in future plans for the company. What was once a vibrant, personable company eventually turned into a monster, hell bent on making money at almost any cost. When the agency caps hit, my positive career was immediately called into question and I was made to feel like I became bad at my job over night. I worked 10-12 hour days without any thanks.
    As I grew the ladder I realised that 'progression' was a myth; in fact, what happened was my base was partially increased inline with the increased responsibility however the way the commission structure is arranged meant my consultants were taking home more than me. I worked hard to get to management level but all it meant was endless meetings, I even had one meeting to discuss what we were going to discuss at a future meeting. My experience of career progression was accumulating other people's problem areas and being tasked to fix them - more career accumulation as opposed to progression methinks.
    The role felt like groundhog day as instead of head hunting, placing candidates and forming effective collaborative relationships I was measured on the productivity of my team and had to count the number of phone calls they made and outbound duration of calls vs duration inbound. I grew tired of this ineffective approach to recruitment and moved on. I worked for a couple of divisions and sadly, from my experience, the approach is the same - tired and ineffective. It's of no surprise to me that ICS are investing more in life sciences because while I'm sure they still make a lot of money in nursing, they are no longer regarded as the significant market leaders they once were due to the arrogant decision not meet cap rates as they thought they were irreplaceable within the NHS in 2016 where they lost significant market share.

Advice to Management

I left a while ago now and while it felt like a big step after such a long time it was undoubtedly the right one. I have a fresh outlook on recruitment, having started at a new company I've realised how outdated the processes are. I understand that ICS is a huge company so the personal touch is a difficult thing to address but that would be the first area I would tend to. A lot of people were promoted too fast, just to satisfy ego and the majority of those fell by the wayside and left anyway.
    The irony of the endless social media posts regarding mental health is quite laughable - quite concerned to display compassion but when it comes to internal staff it was almost a hindrance - an area I have experience of.
    The arrogance of some of the management I found hard to stomach - they took pleasure in not paying bonus to consultants who had worked tirelessly in a tough market but still paid commission to those with softer budgets or to those who simply rebooked the same people week on week. There was no true measure of productivity = reward and it transpired that the old adage of 'you get out what you put in' certainly not being the case.
    As far as a recruitment company to find your grounding and learn the ropes I don't think I could have asked for more. If I had left after 3 years this would have been a glowing review but sadly the more I was exposed to, the more my opinion soured. I believe the career pathway is just blurry and became top heavy without an obvious route to the next level - everyone was becoming a 'senior' or a 'team leader' or 'assistant' with no difference to the previous role which I believe was put in place to feed ego. I worked hard to get to a level where I learned a senior consultant who billed £1.5K a week was being paid more than myself who managed 14 people and had 2 budgets. It may have changed over the last year or so but in the end I was surrounded by people obsessed with what their next job title would be.

"Do not work for this company"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Kings Cross, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Kings Cross, England (UK)

I worked at Pulse (UK) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros, don’t look after staff

Cons

No diversity within the management team, and if you are a person of colour do not bother joining, you receive a lot of racial abuse, which is veryy unfair! It’s 2018 and companies still hire people who are racist. Nasty people work within the company and if you speak up they will target you and pick on you. Best to avoid working for this company. Not worth it. Wouldn’t even recommend this company to my worst enemy. If I could give it a less raiting than 1 star, I definitely would

Advice to Management

Look after your staff
    And stop hiring racist people

Aug 17, 2018 – Group HR Director

Thank you for your review. I am surprised and concerned to hear your feedback. We pride ourselves on being a diverse and equal opportunities employer. I urge you to contact our HR team to share... More

"Pretty good"

Current Employee - Trainee Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Trainee Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good team
    Great benefits
    Company looks after you
    Open door to management at any time

Cons

Teams are falling apart
    Resignation galore
    Commission structure needs MAJOR REVAMP!

Advice to Management

Sort it out before more people resign.

Jun 15, 2018 – Group HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We pride ourselves on having an open and honest culture so it's great to see one of your pros as 'open door'. It's really disappointing to hear... More

"Mixed bag - has its pros and cons"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Pulse (UK) part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly colleagues and candidates.
    Good benefits package.

Cons

Often find that you are the last to hear about changes that are being introduced.
    Company always wants more and more from you. Very target driven.
    Bonus was taken away except for a few "privileged" colleagues.

Advice to Management

Better communication needed - often find out about things through the grapevine rather than through the correct channels. Moral is low when management ask for more and more.

Apr 6, 2018 – Group HR Director

Many thanks for leaving us a review. We always appreciate feedback, whether good or bad, in order to help us make Pulse a great place to work. I will ensure that your comments are fed back to all... More

"Good start to a recruitment career"

Pros

-Colleagues in the office very warm and welcoming
    -Team culture is strong and emphasis on working as a team
    -On-Boarding programme teaches you everything you need to succeed
    -Ongoing training and development opportunities
    -Kings Cross location is easy to get to if you live in London
    -team drinks/office competitions and charity work have become more frequent since 2017.

Cons

-Lack of career progression or a clear pathway after initial promotions.
    -Bonus structure isn't the clearest in comparison to competitiors
    -KPIs are very rigid meaning there is little room for consultants who are successful outside of the traditional mould.

Advice to Management

Create a careers pathway. When a consultant reaches targets give them either a pay review or a progression review - this will keep people happier.

Make KPIs more flexible as some consultants can hit/exceed their GM targets using their own techniques and this should be rewarded rather than discouraged.

Keep the office culture. Pulse is a nice place to work and does have a family feel which is tough to find in recruitment. It still remains a great choice to start your career as the training is second to none and some of the management have a wealth of experience to learn from.

Jan 4, 2018 – Managing Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

It's great to hear that you feel our on-boarding programme sets our people up for success and that you experienced on-going training and... More