Pulte Mortgage Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 3, 2019

3.8
Debra W. Still

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits, room for advancement, paid training, you make your own hours" (in 7 reviews)

• "Employee events, holidays/summer events and team outings show constant appreciation" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "A little bit on the sweat shop side of mortgage lending" (in 7 reviews)

• "Horrible upper management; pay not competitive;" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great Company, low pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at Pulte Mortgage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company really cares about their employees and does a lot to show it.

Cons

Comparably lower pay compared to other mortgage companies but even still, most people stay at Pulte because the company and people make it worth it.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at the amount of work employees at Pulte do and what is comparable for that type of and amount of work at other companies.

2. "Love Pulte!"

Former Employee - Loan Consultant in Englewood, CO

I worked at Pulte Mortgage (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working at Pulte Mortgage! I had an amazing manager and amazing team that I worked with. I was new to the mortgage industry when I started and felt like it was a perfect way to get my feet wet. I am working for a new lender now working a lot of hours with a high sales push. I think if it wasn't for Pulte's help, I wouldn't be sucessful as I am!

Cons

Since you are working for a builder, if the market slows down or your community isn't selling apartments, you obviously get slow.

3. "Consultant"

I worked at Pulte Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy hire, nice environment, comfortable culture.

Cons

Stressful work load with minimal pay. Would not suggest this if you are experienced. Constant on boarding.

4. "Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

I have been working at Pulte Mortgage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with Pulte for over 5 years and overall my experience has been extremely positive. I love the people at Pulte for their commitment to excellence, ability to support customers and each other, and integrity. The atmosphere is friendly, team oriented and supportive. My manager is excellent at providing feedback and opportunities for growth and development, which made me confident and successful in my role. The work is challenging and stimulating, and I feel a sense of accomplishment every day.
    My top 5 reasons for working here:
    Stability
    Open door policy
    Competitive compensation package with good benefits
    Interesting work
    Supportive management

Cons

It is a fast-paced environment with frequent changes.

5. "Conventional Underwriter"

Pros

Friendly environment and team oriented.

Cons

Too many emails. Everyone has their hand in everything and difficult to assume responsibility.

"They Love You Until They Don't"

Former Employee - Loan Processor in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Loan Processor in Englewood, CO

I worked at Pulte Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is overall a great place to work. There are several employee events that also include your family to enjoy each year. The atmosphere is positive and hard working. Almost everyone is willing to help work through issues to find solutions. There is a fast paced work environment. There is plenty of promotion opportunity if you are willing to work for it. The work hours are very flexible. Vacation time is easily approved. If you're lucky, you aren't micro-managed. The company also has several self-help guest speakers to help make you better in your job and in your life. They go above and beyond with the self-help guest speakers. They do team building activities once or twice per year where you get together with your team and do an activity (bowling, painting over a glass of wine, arts and crafts, etc). There are team BBQ's as well. Whatever you do, don't miss the holiday party. They've all been spectacular. They've recently allowed you to work from home 1 day per week as long as you have good metrics. They offer a leadership development class that takes a full year to complete. The class isn't easy to get into but as long as leadership is your thing and you're willing to work for it, you'll do fine.

Cons

Mangers love to manage you from their desk. It seems to be far too much to have an in person conversation when you are only steps away from their desk. Pulte Mortgage loves you until they don't, then watch out. They don't show the love when they are overstaffed. Instead of doing the right thing and asking for voluntary layoffs, they will introduce a metric to you that wasn't previously being measured and provide a series of written warnings with impossible to meet expectations to force you out. Once you have the first action plan (for this unknown metric), I suggest you start looking for another job because there is nothing that will "stop that train". Pulte Mortgage is a revolving door. The hiring and firing are are equal numbers. They will escalate the written warnings and deliver a new one to you before the original one expired and say it's because "you aren't on track". Keep in mind this metric is out of the blue, you would never know it's coming. It makes it pretty hard to prepare for something when you don't know what it is you need to prepare for.
    Vacation time - If you use it and are out more than 3 business days. You'll pay the price for that because your work continues to pile up while you are out. It will take you weeks to catch up when you return. They will tell you that it's not bad or they will have someone watch your desk while you are out. It's garbage. Everyone has their own files to worry about and literally can't help you with yours because they don't have time.

Advice to Management

Own the S.P.A.R.K. Always do the right thing, every person, every time. You could've asked if I would take a voluntary layoff. I may have. The forcing people out routine is very inconsistent with the Pulte S.P.A.R.K. Live it and admit when you make a mistake. It's Okay, people will respect you more for being honest in the long run.

"Mixed Feelings"

Current Employee - Loan Consultant
    Current Employee - Loan Consultant

I have been working at Pulte Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Dynamic
    -Always learning
    -Supportive environment
    -Stress is manageable
    -Manager is likeable
    -Stimulating as far as knowledge goes

Cons

-Newbies are on a 10-7pm schedule, so absolutely no life work balance unless you are a vampire or you have no life outside of your home, no guarantees on an end besides more newbies to replace you to take over the schedule
    -Expect to see no decent pay until 9 months in and 6 months of that you are working your tail off with pay that is not equivalent to the amount of time and work invested, they try to make you look towards the future payout, but really just sounds like bull, which is a contributing factor to high turnover I am sure
    -3 months of training was worthless, 1 month of it is helpful, but be prepared to be babied even if you’ve been a working professional for decades, customer service classes are ridiculous and systems training was waste of time (80 hours I might add)
    -System is outdated and you spend your first month figuring out how to get past it’s glitches, slows everything down
    -Agree that it is like a sweat shop which is fine if you like fast paced environments, but expect a lot of overtime first 6-9 months in (if you are not a quick learn and you are slow with computers, might not be best environment for you)

Advice to Management

-Consider life work balance of employees, borrowers will survive if they can’t schedule an appointment 6 o’clock at night, if a borrow insists and is in desperate need then require occasional late nights, but a long-term basis is cruel and unusual when people are set up with the expectation during the interview that late nights and weekends are needed on occasion (heads up you have people ready to look elsewhere in the next couple of months if there isn’t a light at the end of the tunnel), if you told me I could spend 6+ months on this schedule Mon-Friday I would have seemed employment elsewhere
    -You spend so much money on training new people that you fail to invest in the people you have hired, it’s also highly apparent you have high turnover and while some reasons are out of your control,a lot of it is
    -Poor review for upper management who appear to care very little of their employees in not planning life work balance more, especially newer employees who are already stressed from trying to figure everything out and now they have to reschedule their lives around their new job and have no life 5 days out of the week because what can you really get done leaving the office at 7 and getting home at 8?

"loan consultant"

Former Employee - Loan Consultant in Englewood, CO

I worked at Pulte Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

decent starting pay.. that's it. nothing else.

Cons

REDICULOUS TURNOVER!! NON STOP HIRING/FIRING OF PEOPLE TELLS YOU EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THIS "CULTURE" WORK ENVIRONMENT.. it's a nonstop revolving door at this place. you get close to someone for 3-4 months, next day they're gone and management doesn't allow you to know what happened and then they reprimand you for asking "what happened to jason and why did he go?"
    They fire people for no reason while in training or if someone has personal issue with another person, regardless of performance or production. Horrible crony upper to middle management structure in place in the englewood, colorado headquarters office. Sweat shop type atmosphere -crowded cubicles. They need a bigger building with workspaces for their employees so they don't fee so confined and cheap/expendible.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone of your middle and upper management in the originations/operations sector.. Stop promoting and boasting about this "all female management" atmosphere and acting like you're trailblazer in the modern corporate world for equal sexes and opportunities, which breeds absolute contempt for male employees and abusive power tripping behavior....YES FIRE THEM! THEY ARE THE REASON FOR THE HIGH TURNOVER!!
     I was given that load of BS about all-female management during my training class, while I was the ONLY male hired in a class of 8 other females. They are amongst the most arrogant and apathetic people I've met in my adult working career.... multiple middlemanagers I've met focused on micromanagement as their management style. No one needs this!! Focus on retention!

promote a whole new level of management to promote longevity and a more "Career oriented" focused mentality.

"Mortgage Consultant"

I worked at Pulte Mortgage full-time

Pros

Room to grow, lots of learning opportunities, great team building events

Cons

Less micro managing of employees

"People are awesome"

Former Employee - Loan Processor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Loan Processor in Denver, CO

I worked at Pulte Mortgage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My co - workers were the best people ever. They are the reason I got up in the morning to go to work. Everyone is so helpful. I also had the best manager I have ever had. I miss them all. I wish I was still there. If I could have worked from home I still would be. Benefits are great. Up to 4 weeks time off if you buy a week. Great place to work.

Cons

A lot of micromanaging. I can understand the need for it with the new hires but it is uneccessary with the loan processors that don't need it.

Advice to Management

If closings are missed then management needs to look at those people that are missing them, not the collective group. We are not all the same therefore we don't all need to be treated the same. Please look at your employees as people, not numbers. They are the backbone of the company. Without them there would be no company.