Pumpkin Patch Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 9, 2016

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Good, encouraging environment but not much room for working up"

Former Employee - Temporary Sales Associate in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Temporary Sales Associate in Vienna, VA

Pros

Pumpkin Patch is a very encouraging work environment. There is a diverse group of employees from many different backgrounds including but not limited to parents, high school and college students, and young singles. There is always something to do with such a large amount of clothes (straightening up, organizing racks, etc). The customer base is easy to deal with, not the normal retail customers because they are with their children and on their best behavior.

Cons

There aren't very many opportunities to move up in the company, especially if this is your first retail job. There is no commission, which can make workloads seem a little uneven at times.

Advice to Management

Should encourage the employees more to do their best and move forward!

2. "AWFUL PLACE TO WORK!!!!!"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Killingworth, CT
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Killingworth, CT

I worked at Pumpkin Patch part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Managers of each of the Pumpkin Patch Centers are wonderful

Cons

The Owner, Patricia Serviss, is a terrible person to work for: the pay/salary for EVERY position is dreadfully low, she does not know how to effectively manage her business, she talks down to her employees, she is extremely cheap (especially when it comes to resources for the children) and she has an incredibly large employee turnover rate as a result of her poor business and people skills.

Advice to Management

Patricia Serviss needs to continue to sell each an every one of her Pumpkin Patch locations (*which I heard has actually begun...thankfully).

3. "Visual Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Pumpkin Patch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You get to create very fun windows.
    - Hours are office hours, mon-fri
    - Instore staff are lovely.
    - You get 40% off discount on products.
    - Birthday leave.

Cons

- Higher management can be very negative, and mainly rude to other employees, except to the store manager. Is it so hard to come in the store and acknowledge everyone for being there and for their efforts? It's always better to motivate than bring everyone else down, because without your instore employees your company won't run. No appreciation of everyone else's hard work. I don't mean they have to praise us for doing a good job. A simple smile or a hi-five, a simple recognition of this would be more than enough.

- You don't get to be as creative, because everything you do has to be EXACTLY as per the guidelines. A slight change can cause higher management to flip! What is the point of having a visual merchandiser when they can't slightly move products to create sales.

- Unrealistic deadlines. The changes happen almost everyday. What is the point of presenting products for just a day without even seeing and analysing the results of your merchandising?

- Ridiculous amount of signage that all look identical. Maybe focus on having just a couple of strong straight forward signage that can be used throughout the year, and save money on printing repetitive/themed signage.

- The company's quality pledge! It is basically a LIFETIME quality guarantee. So you get customers who would return items after 3 years of their kids wearing them because the quality is apparently not good enough. No wonder why this company is going no where but down.

Advice to Management

Motivate and don't ignore employees. Respect is just not handed over to you, it is earned. A smile wont hurt anybody. Be a positive boss, and most likely, your instore staff will work harder to please you! Happy culture = successful company.

5. "Retail Customer Representative"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at Pumpkin Patch part-time

Pros

Working at Pumpkin Patch was a wonderful experience. Helping Customers with choosing outfits for their babies, toddlers, pre-schoolers or as gifts gave me huge satisfaction. As I hadn't worked in Retail before I took to this job my experience in Customer Seevice and the rest became easy.

Cons

Being on your feet!!! More focus group meetings could have helped in regards to communicate within the team.

Advice to Management

None. As it was a great environment to work in.

6. "Terrible staff"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Brisbane (Australia)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Brisbane (Australia)

I worked at Pumpkin Patch part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was better than other places

Cons

- Workers talk down to you esp if you are younger
    - Treat you dumb
    - No benefits
    - No support from management
    - Lazy management
    - Small stock room
    - lack of respect for a human being
    - Lots of back stabbing and stealing other people's sales
    - Racist workers

A couple of times, they had rung me and told me that I had to come into work in 1 hour because they didn't correctly roster the calendar. Multiple times, I had to cancel my plans with friends, family and doctors due to the lack of organisation. Even when I asked if they had called everyone else, my manager would say that she had and no one else was available. I came into work the next day and asked multiple coworkers who didn't work the day before, if they had received a call asking them to come in but all of them said: No I didn't get a call but I could have worked yesterday because I was just at home....

TLDR: Management lies to be lazy.

Advice to Management

This company has been the worst place I have ever worked. I am so glad I left because the managers made me cry, put my health in jeopardy and I encountered racist duty managers who would say rude things to asians and make children cry. Honestly, get RID of all the old ladies who can't do their job properly!

7. "Good experience in retail."

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Townsville (Australia)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Townsville (Australia)

I worked at Pumpkin Patch part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent to work for. Great discounts. Discounts are capped but you can use for family members. Can buy shares in company. Products sell themselves. Easy computer system to learn. Stocktake nights were fun. I had an excellent manager.

Cons

Stock room was very small. As long as staff member kept it organised you could navigate it.

8. "Good remuneration package"

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Pulau Pinang (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Pulau Pinang (Malaysia)

I have been working at Pumpkin Patch part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

retain loyal employees and increase motivation

Cons

make the employees feel too proud of the company and look down on other competitors

Advice to Management

constant training and ethical training as well