Punchcut Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jared Benson

1. "Freelance Designer"

Pros

Extraordinary group of people creating things for our future.

Cons

There isn't really anything I can report on this.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on. It's an exciting and forward thinking place to work.

"Designer"

I worked at Punchcut as a contractor

Pros

I am always impressed by the type of projects they work on. That comes with the territory — talented creatives working at Punchcut.

Cons

Just wanted to mirror most of the contractors' reviews on here. I felt they didn't value any of our (contractors') feedback nor opinions. I felt really left out and treated like just a production worker; nothing more.

On top of that, they abruptly ended the contract one month too early; without much notice. So, I had to somehow find another work elsewhere to fill in that one month gap as proposed. I guess that's just the life of a freelancer. But that seems to be a pattern at Punchcut, according to a lot of reviews here. Which leads me to believe they have poor management.

Advice to Management

Please get your head out of the clouds and treat everyone the same respect. Full time vs Contract. They are there to help. Not get used as your toilet paper.

"Tread carefully"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Punchcut as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Innovative work, young millennial crowd if that is what you're into. Great for a young person starting out and wanting to build a resume.

Cons

Poorly staffed, big egos, will end your contract without any notice and use shady tactics in doing so.

Advice to Management

Mature, remember your employees and contractors are human beings to be treated respectfully

5. "yes i like it"

Pros

great place to work for

Cons

have to work long hours

6. "Great Opportunities, Cold Atmosphere"

I worked at Punchcut as a contractor

Pros

-great clients
    -interesting work
    -can be fun at times

Cons

-people are generally cold and don't ask questions
    -extremely secretive- feels like they don't trust anyone
    -treats contractors like fodder for projects
    -will terminate people literally out of nowhere and will not provide explanation

Advice to Management

be human.

7. "great experience at Punchcut"

I worked at Punchcut as a contractor

Pros

I just finished a contract at Punchcut and had a wonderful time. The staff is friendly and the project was fun. Fun extras too like lunch on Wednesday and snacks of Friday. It's a cozy vibe and I didnt feel lost in a crowd. Looking forward to working there again.

Cons

Cozy but it was a little bit crowded. They seem to be growing and there's not a ton of workspace.

8. "Agency - what can you say?"

Former Contractor - Design in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Design in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Punchcut as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the leadership was outstanding in what they want to do, and the variety of work was interesting. Quality of work was excellent - you feel proud of what's being produced, so it's a top agency in that sense.

Cons

Agree with other posters - micromanagement and distrust of contractors was unpleasant. I was made repeatedly to feel like a second class employee because I was only working on 'one' project. Little in the way of collaboration with team members - you're expected to read minds, and then when you couldn't or asked for clarification, it was held against you. It was very much 'boss way or no way' even if the direction wasn't what would help the client. Felt senior leadership didn't care about contractor concerns. It was just too cold and difficult a place to build a career at.

Advice to Management

Make sure the people leading projects have people skills. I have confidence in the leadership, but they've made some uneven hiring choices for their 'internal' leaders.

9. "Great people, cool projects"

Former Contractor - Interaction Designer
    Former Contractor - Interaction Designer

I worked at Punchcut as a contractor

Pros

People are friendly, have sense of humor. Many talented designers. They get some pretty cool projects - you get to do a lot of conceptual explorations across different platforms/medium.

Cons

As a contractor, you do feel like an outsider. You don't get access to all information or always have direct contact with the clients (lacking some first-hand feedback and perspective). They are also quite secretive about their projects - you don't know about projects outside of what you are working on.

10. "Awesome people, good clients and projects"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Punchcut full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm really enjoying my time at Punchcut. There are some insanely smart people here, but - refreshingly - no primadonnas unlike other studios I've been at. Everyone pitches in to get stuff done, and the teams are collaborative.

Most projects are pretty strategic (across devices/platforms). It's a good place to develop deep device interface experience. They're organized without being to process-y.

There's a lot more fun happening here, especially in the last year or so. I think the culture is good -- a lot better than what's been shared in other comments.

Cons

More communications and streamlined decisions. Need to find a bigger office space.

Advice to Management

See above

"Focused mobile studio"

Current Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Punchcut full-time

Pros

Great clients, great people, good workplace

Cons

Pedal to the metal all the time. Little downtime/white space. Old workstations.

Advice to Management

Invest in the infrastructure of the company, allow for experimentation, unstructured time.