Punchkick Interactive Reviews | Glassdoor

Zak Dabbas

"Honest and Open"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Punchkick Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

With a very flat org, the company is extremely honest and open about everything. The entire goal is to have happy clients and employees and with honest and open feedback it is possible. Don't believe us...come stop by any day at 10am and check out our Huddle. Nothing fake, all real.

Cons

We are growing so fast and really the only con is all of the massive upside potental.

Advice to Management

Keep it flat since there is no management or employee reviews. We give advice and feedback each and every day.

"Technically excellent, organizationally disjoined."

I worked at Punchkick Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great office aesthetics
    - Intelligent teammates
    - Innovative, customer-centric strategy
    - Perfectionist attention to detail on all work
    - Desire to be the best in the business

Cons

- Unrealistic performance expectations
    - Low base salaries, high advertised commission potential with low probability of achieving
    - Promotions non-existent and worth defined by culture fit and extra-curricular involvement
    - Will hire in hope of future growth not rooted in actual sales
    - Favoritism based on loyalty to Punchkick trumps actual work performance

Advice to Management

- Invest in the development of people in authentic ways
    - Spent less time selling the Punchkick kool-aid, more serving the client

"It is what you make it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Punchkick Interactive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Endless opportunity to learn new skills both in and out of your core day-to-day duties. . I worked with someone who started in sales and had a passion for analytics. . he now leads the analytics department
    - The talent at PK is top-notch across the board. . . you'll work with some of the most skilled developers, strategists, designers, and AM's you'll ever meet
    - Truly enjoy your work and co-workers. . . I honestly made some lifelong friends during my time at PK
    - PK will always have your back. . . I moved to a different state and both owners (Zak and Ryan) made themselves available for glowing reference calls with prospective employers

Cons

- With a flat management style, it can be easy to fall behind if you don't hold yourself accountable

"Very Cultish, childish management"

Former Employee - Developer
    Former Employee - Developer

I worked at Punchkick Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really smart people, young hip and technologically skilled. A lot of different technology being used and a lot of room to grow. Interesting projects, though not as interesting as everyone makes it seem.

Cons

Cultish, intrusive on your personal life, touchy- feely management style. Also no grown ups on board. Is it new? Then let's try it just because it's new. Is this outside of our core competency/business model? No problem, let's just hire more people or fake it till we make it (a strategy which when i was there resulted in them being sued by a client because they could not deliver a product)

Advice to Management

Hire some grown ups. Respect people's wish not to be super social and share everything with their work mates. Don't try to do things outside your level of competence unless you have taken steps to expand. Just because you think it's so great to be bold and ballsy doesn't make it fair to a client you tell can get x, pays you to do x, and then doesn't get x. Also not fair to cause your entire company to do massive OT, then fire people as scapegoats as the success of the project collapses (as it predictably was going to)

"Great while it lasts"

I worked at Punchkick Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were awesome. Some of the best people I've had the pleasure of working with. Great environment while you're "one of them".

Cons

As soon as you're no longer an employee, you might as well no longer exist. The "friends" and "family" that is Punchkick disappears into the ether as all connection with former colleagues are severed the second you leave / are fired / laid off.

No where to really go. The flat structure means you're in one position and that's about it.

Advice to Management

Get some decent project managers. Working with one client in particular was so awful as to be laughable - almost.

"Image over quality"

Former Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Punchkick Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good co-workers (before they're fired or driven away.) A few big name-brand clients.

Cons

–Punchkick feels like a cult. Every day starts off with a mandatory 30 minute meeting where the CEO whips everyone together for "good news." Usually this boils down to what everyone watched on Netflix the night before. If you are late to or miss the huddle, he'll pitch a fit. Same deal with "The Hunger Games" – a quarterly mandatory meeting from 8am to 10/11am where they give an opaque look at financial information that most employees aren't concerned with. Miss that one? You might get fired!

–Catty high-school atmosphere encouraged by the company "culture." When you're here, you're family. When you're gone, you never existed.

–Titles mean nothing. ("Culture Czar.") More concerned with media presence and image than the product. ("Punchkick Fashion Week.") CEO doesn't pay attention to the projects until something blows up. After which someone gets thrown to the wolves and the rest all suffer. LITERAL OFFICE ALL-NIGHTERS ON MULTIPLE PROJECTS. There's a lot of "we don't want you to think of us as your boss." With their level of engagement, this is far from a concern.

–Sales is number one and everyone else is a second-class citizen. If you run out of work, its YOUR fault – not sales', not your project managers', not company leadership.

–Habitual hiring of cheap developers fresh out of college that require an excessive amount of babysitting.

–"Unlimited vacation" is code for "we don't have to pay you for the 3 weeks we promised you that you didn't have a chance to take." If you do use it, it will be held against you when they don't need you anymore. No work from home – unless you're sick. Then you're encouraged to work from home. No rest for the wicked!

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your company. Calling it a flat-organization is no excuse for ignoring it. For related reading, see Paul Graham's article titled "Maker's Schedule, Manager's Schedule."

"Fantastic culture, talented people, and a solid foundation"

I worked at Punchkick Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PKI is the best place I've worked, and it's not because of one single person, project or client. The way things are done at PKI encourages people who are willing to be open to actually do so, and the folks that seem to have a hard time are the ones who aren't willing to share their opinions. I found that everyone was very accepting of feedback and wanted to perform at a high level, and I really enjoyed the variability in terms of projects and clients.

Cons

If you are unwilling to share neutral or negative feedback, you might find PKI a difficult place to be. The mechanisms in place for company culture are there because Punchkickers expect people to be open. If you're not, you may have a hard time feeling like your needs are being heard, because people may not seek you out to get your thoughts as much as they'd hope you'd bring your issues to them.

Advice to Management

Good luck navigating the transition to teal, and I will continue to advocate on your behalf.

"Terrific company for the self-motivated"

I worked at Punchkick Interactive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Punchkick is a terrific place to work. Everyone is friendly, extremely helpful, and the company is very transparent about all its inner workings. It's also built on a flat organizational structure, so there's no micromanagement or hierarchy. Everyone works together to execute on client projects, and to constantly push Punchkick in a better direction.

Also, due to its flatness, Punchkick is very open to change. In my time at Punchkick, I saw many processes evolve and improve over time—and these changes were often led by employees who took it upon themselves to improve things they cared about. If you work at Punchkick and you want to change how something is done, you make a recommendation and, if those affected by it buy into it, things change.

There are a lot of awesome perks as well, like flex start times and half-day summer Fridays.

Cons

Because there's no hierarchical structure at Punchkick, it's up to each individual employee to grow their skill set. There aren't senior employees to look to for mentorship. Your coworkers will help you in whatever way they can, but you won't have a direct superior charged with teaching you things.

If you need a defined structure, Punchkick might not be the best place for you.

Advice to Management

Always work to keep Punchkick's culture an awesome one. Keep listening to everyone's ideas on how to improve Punchkick. Keep the transparency going.

"A great place to thrive free of hierarchy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

The best thing about being a part of Punchkick is that you get to come into work everyday knowing that you have complete control over the future of your career. I get to work with the smartest, most supportive group of people who are always willing to lend a hand or teach you something new. I'm given the tools I need to succeed and I continuously strive to be better, and am not restricted by red-tape or hierarchy if I want to get something done. If you're a self-motivated individual who wants to actually make an impact in a company, this is the place for you.

Cons

There really is no major downside to working at Punchkick. If there's something you don't like, you have the power to change it. Really.

Advice to Management

Zak and Ryan - the dedication and passion you commit to Punchkickers is amazing. I constantly feel empowered by your support and advice.

"Still Learning, Still Growing"

I worked at Punchkick Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Smart, Talented People
    - Hrs Flexibility
    - Small, Nimble
    - Eclectic MIx of Peope
    - Idea of Family

Cons

- Inner Circles (Playing Favorites)
    - Immature Leadership
    - Limited Vision
    - Classification/Labeling of Roles and Abilities
    - Personal Appearance not Always Professional