Puppet Portland Reviews

Updated Oct 14, 2019

4.4
Puppet CEO Yvonne Wassenaar (no image)
Yvonne Wassenaar
  1. Featured Review

"The best place I have ever worked, and am ever likely to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Puppet full-time for more than a year

Pros

I wanted to wait at least a year into my job to write this review. I absolutely loved the place when I started, but I know you can see things through rose colored glasses at the start. After being here more than a year, I love it even more. Starting with the obvious, there are a lot of perks. Free beer/cider/kombucha/coffee/soda, bagel Mondays, catered lunch Wednesdays, free snacks, dogs in the office, flexible work schedule and working from home, 5 weeks vacation (give or take, they aren't strict about it), and a very pleasant workspace right next to the waterfront. These are all wonderful things that make you really enjoy being in the office. The Workplace team works very hard to make it an inviting environment to exist in. But what makes Puppet truly special is the people. I genuinely like just about everyone I work with. People are kind, helpful, understanding, dedicated, and thoughtful. This goes for the upper management too, which, in my decade and a half in the tech industry, I have found quite rare. While I may not agree with every decision made, I am fully confident that everyone here is truly trying to do the right thing. Not just for the company, but for their coworkers and customers as well. Yvonne is a fantastic CEO, and things have improved considerably since she started. Every day, I am blown away by what a positive, wonderful work environment this is. I've also found Puppet to be an incredibly inclusive place to work. You can really just be yourself at work. I don't feel like I have to change who I am in order to do well here, and people are very respectful of each other. I can just be me. I feel like the company and management values me as a whole human, and not just as a resource. Work/life balance is well respected here. The job is certainly challenging, and everyone here is very smart and capable. As another reviewer said, there are no bench warmers here. But there is recognition that no one can know everything, and people are very helpful in answering questions and collaborating. I look forward to coming to work every day, I enjoy the products I work on, and I am very optimistic about the direction the company is headed. I think its best days are ahead of it, and I'm so happy to be along for the ride. I can't imagine a much better place to work.

Cons

There are still some growing pains as Puppet transitions from a small startup to a somewhat bigger one. Projects and features could be planned better, but this is being improved. Internal documentation is pretty light, which can make learning the codebase a bit difficult. The complexity of the products and sheer amount of things to learn can be a bit overwhelming at first, but since no one makes you feel dumb and everyone is willing to help, it is manageable. Pay could be a little more competitive, but it is not too far off the mark. All of this is fairly minor and dwarfed by the awesomeness of working at Puppet.

November 8, 2019

Hi there, Nick Smyth, Head of Engineering here. It's great to hear about your positive experience so far in Puppet. Our dedicated workplace team continually drive to make our office experience a good one. As we continue to progress through growing as a company I hope you can continue to help us through the pains you highlight. Our success will depend on how our people can steer through the bumps and changes along the way. Also, If you aren't already involved in Engineering's Mentoring program I strongly recommend it. Feedback on the activity is strong, it has definitely helped folk grow both their technical and personal expertise. We really appreciate you taking the time to share feedback.

2. "Respect, Innovation and Energy"

Current Employee - Web Developer - Marketing in Portland, OR

I have been working at Puppet full-time for less than a year

Pros

The energy in Puppet across departments, and on my team is fantastic. Management in my department (Marketing, Web) fosters a collaborative, fast-paced environment. We're stretching out and implementing new, exciting technologies. The trust we're being shown as we go through this process is central to our success. We're lucky to have a great working relationship with key stakeholders and internal partners across departments. I'm privileged to work with some of the smartest, most driven people I've encountered in my career. Respect is given and expected of all Puppet employees; it's clear that the culture matters.

Cons

Some of the internal tools for collaboration (JIRA, Confluence) are not as well suited to the task as other alternatives would be. Thank goodness for Slack!

October 9, 2019

Hi, this is Dan Divens, Director of Website Marketing at Puppet. Thank you for sharing your feedback about your experience here at Puppet. I’m thrilled to hear that you are enjoying working at Puppet, and echoed the importance of our values and how you have experienced them. We’ve all worked hard to create a respectful workplace and our culture is a reflection of that. I’m very proud to be part of such an awesome team of innovators, trying new technologies and taking chances, and lifting each other up in the process!

3. "Feeling pretty darn privilege to be apart of the Puppet fam!"

Current Employee - Revenue Accountant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Puppet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

An amazing team! We work as a unit, helping each other reach the finish line - no man left behind during audit season or monthly closes! There is a fantastic work-life balance and an equally fantastic management team. Our controller lets us know our work is valued. When we put in the extra work hours to kick off a new project it does not go unnoticed or unrewarded (shout out to our CFO!). I've always felt pretty blessed to have a job (any job), but I feel a whole nother level of gratitude at Puppet.

Cons

I wish there were more opportunities to work/socialize with other departments. I feel like I don't know many people outside of the G&A team.

June 19, 2019

Hi, this is Luke Dutton, Corporate Controller at Puppet. It makes me happy to hear about your positive experience on the team and that you're valued for your work! Work-life balance is important and it takes the whole team's collective efforts and support of one another to successfully reach our goals. I love your description of our collaborative team environment that we strive for and one of the values that we want to build upon. Be the team you want to work with!

"Great People, Poorly Managed"

2.0
    Former Employee - Director of Alliances in Portland, OR

I worked at Puppet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Puppet has a group of devoted hard working engineers and support organizations. Almost cult-like in their belief in what they do and how they help enterprises transform the way they build software. Also a fun and relaxing work environment.

Cons

Puppet has a history of being poorly managed. Leadership likes to believe they listen to employee input but they are so focused on keeping the ship running that they don't realize they're only paying lip service to this need. Unfortunately Puppet was unable to capitalize on the DevOps market when it was hot and enterprises are now moving past them.

May 28, 2019Puppet

Hi, this is Yvonne Wassenaar, CEO. Thank you for your feedback and call out of the team - one of the great things about working at Puppet is the passion of the people. I also appreciate your feedback on how these last couple of years have been hard on the team as the market has been shifting and Puppet has been looking for the best places to focus to drive value for our customers (existing and new). Employee feedback in finalizing our next chapter in our journey is critical and it is why I have prioritized spending time with the team members in Portland and around the globe. I am also looking forward to the feedback in our current pulse survey. Only together will we really win.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - People Team in Portland, OR

I have been working at Puppet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, amazing people and a good work-life balance. I have only been with the company a short time but I already feel like I am making a difference. Yvonne has great energy and I am excited to see where she takes the company.

Cons

Like any large company, the communication could be better between the teams, but this is something that the management is aware of and working hard to improve. 401K could have a better match but there is still a match.

March 22, 2019Puppet

Hi, and thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. Successful companies are the ones where team members are diving impact, not just doing a job. Building an environment at Puppet where everyone can deliver impact and achieve their true potential is a top goal for me as CEO - great to hear this is already a reality for you at Puppet Good points on where we can improve as well. We have a big focus on cross team communication and connection and appreciate the input on the 401K plan. - Yvonne Wassenaar, CEO

"Great Culture with growing pains for the right reasons"

Current Employee - Director of Product Management in Portland, OR

I have been working at Puppet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance, culture, great people who want to do good and do right. Lots of autonomy to get things done. Its the best company I've worked for in my 20 years in the industry.

Cons

We're going through growing pains at the moment which means we have a lot of learnings and that can be frustrating for those that don't have the visibility to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Those of us who do see it, have to do a better job of including and communicating that to others.

March 11, 2019Puppet

Hi, this is Yvonne Wassenaar, CEO of Puppet. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to creating a more open and multi-directional set of communications with the distributed team at Puppet to address the challenge you call out about visibility. Taking your input via Glassdoor is one way we are doing this and even better when we proactively create two-way forums such as the CEO Slack office hours like I did on Friday and or the office visits I have been making where I have opportunities to engage in discussions directly with the teams. Building out an open environment where hard discussions can be had and visibility can be provided is key to our long term success along with the empowerment of our teams which is critical as well. On the topic of focus – YES! We do need more focus and we have to be clear and aligned on what the focus areas are and why we believe they make sense (and then what will we stop doing, why, and how). One piece of getting there is the Objectives and Key Results we have rolled out across the company, though these are still very broad and we are still doing too much. Over the next few weeks, you will see us getting crisper on what matters most for Puppet to be focused on now with aligned plans that will enable the teams at Puppet to work on a smaller number of things with greater impact. We have a phenomenal team of passionate people around the globe that I am dedicated to working with in an empowered way on a focused set of growth areas that will allow us to win in the marketplace today and in the future.

7. "Best place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - GL Accountant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Puppet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Puppet is a very fun place to work. The employees are taken care of very well (free lunch on Wednesdays, lots of PTO, free coffee and snacks everyday, and the list goes on). I enjoy coming to work because all of my coworkers are super friendly and easy to talk to. The work that I am doing is also interesting and I continue to learn new things everyday.

Cons

I honestly have no cons so far.

March 11, 2019Puppet

Hi, it's Mark Iserloth, CFO. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience so far and I'm really glad it's been positive. We try to provide the best environment we can and I'm glad you want to come to work every day!

"Great place to grow your career as a Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Puppet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment and work-from-home policy with a solid benefits package.

Cons

Low 401k matching plan. Puppet only contributes a max of $1000/year!

September 14, 2018Puppet

Hi, this is Katie Abbott, SVP, Legal & People. Thanks so much for your feedback - we appreciate knowing what matters to you and it’s great to hear you appreciate the benefits package. We recognize there is always room for improvement, so we work hard to review our offerings on a regular basis to consider what opportunities we have for improvement, whether it is our insurance coverage, leave options, or volunteer time off. I, too, look forward to when we can increase the 401k match! In the meantime, I’d love to hear more from you about your experience at Puppet, onboarding with us, or anything else on your mind, so please reach out if you are ever free to grab a cup of coffee and chat.

"Once great, now lackluster"

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Puppet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many brilliant, passionate people Flexible PTO Moderately interesting challenges to tackle

Cons

The upper management seems insistent on crippling morale. Pro tip - don't mention purchasing multiple Teslas right after having layoffs. Product churn - projects get spun up, shipped as a V1, and then abandoned. This approach stretches engineering thin, and leaves customers unhappy. Not invented here runs fairly rampant. Every line of code is a line that you have to maintain. Reinventing the wheel is a lot of fun, but it's very costly. Compensation - Puppet is hilarious at compensating high performers if those high performers don't fight tooth and nails for raises. Finding out that you're massively underpaid is deeply demotivating.

July 19, 2018Puppet

Hi, this is Matt Waxman, VP of Product. Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback! I joined Puppet for many of the reasons you callout: creative and dedicated people, a culture that thrives on openness and inclusion, and an opportunity to drive disruptive innovation. Puppet has been going through a transformation driven by what our customers are demanding of us. That means a lot of change, and change is always difficult. Personally, I’m proud to be part of a company that is willing to try things, even if they fail. We have built new products, new features, and new architectures; most have succeeded, but some have not. At the same time, your point about not abandoning V1s is an important one and we’ve recently shifted our roadmaps to provide sharper focus on following through on what we’ve started. We’re already seeing the benefits of this with monthly releases on both our new product, Puppet Discovery and Puppet Pipelines. We're committed to continuing to learn and improve. If you have additional feedback we are open to hearing your thoughts.

"Working at Puppet is amazing"

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Puppet full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been at Puppet for 3 months now, and it's on par with some of the best places I've worked over my entire career (which spans decades). The problem space is interesting, there are true challenges to overcome, my co-workers always have time to help with questions, and we're willing to laugh at ourselves.

Cons

Don't let yourself be drowned by the firehose of information you will get. Let it wash over you and absorb things slowly over time.

Found 54 reviews