Puppet Reviews

Updated Jun 27, 2020

3.9
Puppet CEO Yvonne Wassenaar (no image)
Yvonne Wassenaar
Pros
  • "Work/life balance is well respected here(in 19 reviews)

• "Fun work place and people and dogs(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • " growing pains (in 7 reviews)

• "It took Puppet over eight years to roll out a commercial version of its Open Source product(in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The best place I have ever worked, and am ever likely to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Puppet full-time for more than a year

Pros

I wanted to wait at least a year into my job to write this review. I absolutely loved the place when I started, but I know you can see things through rose colored glasses at the start. After being here more than a year, I love it even more. Starting with the obvious, there are a lot of perks. Free beer/cider/kombucha/coffee/soda, bagel Mondays, catered lunch Wednesdays, free snacks, dogs in the office, flexible work schedule and working from home, 5 weeks vacation (give or take, they aren't strict about it), and a very pleasant workspace right next to the waterfront. These are all wonderful things that make you really enjoy being in the office. The Workplace team works very hard to make it an inviting environment to exist in. But what makes Puppet truly special is the people. I genuinely like just about everyone I work with. People are kind, helpful, understanding, dedicated, and thoughtful. This goes for the upper management too, which, in my decade and a half in the tech industry, I have found quite rare. While I may not agree with every decision made, I am fully confident that everyone here is truly trying to do the right thing. Not just for the company, but for their coworkers and customers as well. Yvonne is a fantastic CEO, and things have improved considerably since she started. Every day, I am blown away by what a positive, wonderful work environment this is. I've also found Puppet to be an incredibly inclusive place to work. You can really just be yourself at work. I don't feel like I have to change who I am in order to do well here, and people are very respectful of each other. I can just be me. I feel like the company and management values me as a whole human, and not just as a resource. Work/life balance is well respected here. The job is certainly challenging, and everyone here is very smart and capable. As another reviewer said, there are no bench warmers here. But there is recognition that no one can know everything, and people are very helpful in answering questions and collaborating. I look forward to coming to work every day, I enjoy the products I work on, and I am very optimistic about the direction the company is headed. I think its best days are ahead of it, and I'm so happy to be along for the ride. I can't imagine a much better place to work.

Cons

There are still some growing pains as Puppet transitions from a small startup to a somewhat bigger one. Projects and features could be planned better, but this is being improved. Internal documentation is pretty light, which can make learning the codebase a bit difficult. The complexity of the products and sheer amount of things to learn can be a bit overwhelming at first, but since no one makes you feel dumb and everyone is willing to help, it is manageable. Pay could be a little more competitive, but it is not too far off the mark. All of this is fairly minor and dwarfed by the awesomeness of working at Puppet.

November 8, 2019

Hi there, Nick Smyth, Head of Engineering here. It's great to hear about your positive experience so far in Puppet. Our dedicated workplace team continually drive to make our office experience a good one. As we continue to progress through growing as a company I hope you can continue to help us through the pains you highlight. Our success will depend on how our people can steer through the bumps and changes along the way. Also, If you aren't already involved in Engineering's Mentoring program I strongly recommend it. Feedback on the activity is strong, it has definitely helped folk grow both their technical and personal expertise. We really appreciate you taking the time to share feedback.

2. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Puppet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great leadership team, starting with our CEO! Ability to bring your own ideas that will be heard by your management.

Cons

Benefits not up to par with other employers, for example 401K contribution is a minimal and I have to use my own money to contribute the same amount I have done with previous employers. No matching, just a "token" once a year.

April 2, 2020

Hi, this is Lindsey Prout, HR Director of Total Rewards and Operations at Puppet. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and highlighting one of the areas that make Puppet such a great place to work. I also appreciate your feedback around our current benefits offerings. One of our main focuses this year is to evolve and innovate our benefits offerings. We are currently looking into our complete suite of benefits offered to employees and how we can holistically balance our many workplace perks with the necessary benefits that help support our employees and their families. We do measure our benefit offerings and perks to the tech market on a regular basis and you are right, there is an opportunity with our current 401k employer contributions. Your feedback is heard and appreciated. I hope I was able to articulate the related work currently underway and that this piece will not be ignored. I am most excited about the inspiration and innovation from Puppet employees and will ensure we use that energy and feedback to make our benefit offerings the best they can be. Thanks again!

"Good people but senior leadership has no clue!"

4.0
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Puppet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with!

Cons

Senior Management heavy. Leadership not connected with the people at the helm.

Continue reading

"Constant change does not make for Exciting Times!"

Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Puppet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun work place and people and dogs!

Cons

So much change is exciting but it got hard to stay excited.

"Interesting experience, but not for growth-focused people or those who believe in true diversity, equity, and inclusion"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Puppet full-time

Pros

Pays well, somewhat diverse crew, steady and manageable work pace at older software company. There are a few long-time members that less experienced workers can find mentorship from.

Cons

Weak leadership, awful nepotism, wrong people in key leadership roles. Revenue-type teams (sales, success, marketing) continuously look lost or are "rebooting." I watched more effort and time spent on covering management's reputations than on growing and nurturing talent and achieving results at Puppet by directorship. I saw multiple incidents where their supposed pledge to diversity, equity, and inclusion was spat on by leadership. Puppet needs to iron out its culture problem. There is a group of people who excel and empower others to do so as well, but weak leadership also creates a group who don't ever seem like they want to be there, or are waiting for their next opportunity to arrive.

November 12, 2019

Hi! I'm Brittni Beers-Branco, VP of People at Puppet. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It's an exciting time at Puppet right now and we are embracing a heightened focus on growth while focusing on the amazing culture we've built around respect, teamwork, inclusion and community. We are evolving as a company and equipping leaders to inspire teams toward greater growth and focus. And, I couldn't agree more that we have some amazing long-time talent with Puppet who are excellent mentors to others as an expert in their area. To truly grow the company, we believe in the value each individual on the team brings to the team, and to harness the capabilities everyone brings to share in our collective success. We have a strong priority on diversity, equity, and inclusion and I am excited about a new direction we are taking to further embed this work and engage more with our global teams. I am disappointed you didn't feel that experience. Feedback is really important for us and informs how we can further improve, so I appreciate you taking the time to share.

6. "Come in and work with some of the smartest in the industry!"

I worked at Puppet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The company has been a leader in the DevOps movement for 10 years and its amazing to see the amazing things the product does for the world! - The teams are full of really smart individuals who are extremely supportive - The culture and atmosphere is exactly what I wanted, it moved past the "shiny objects" of a start-up and starting to think about employees' careers and work-life balanace.

Cons

- At times people work fast and forget to share some updates with other teams. This is being addressed though!

November 8, 2019Director of Global Talent

Hi! I'm Jenny Berkedal, Puppet's Director of Global Talent. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience here and I'm very happy to hear it was so positive. We're working together to build our Puppet alumni community-- we have so much we can learn from former Puppeteers and want to stay involved with (and celebrate!) all the great things folks do when their paths take them elsewhere. If you don't hear from me soon, please reach out if you'd like to be involved! Being anonymous, I won't be able to contact you directly. :-)

7. "Respect, Innovation and Energy"

Current Employee - Web Developer - Marketing in Portland, OR

I have been working at Puppet full-time for less than a year

Pros

The energy in Puppet across departments, and on my team is fantastic. Management in my department (Marketing, Web) fosters a collaborative, fast-paced environment. We're stretching out and implementing new, exciting technologies. The trust we're being shown as we go through this process is central to our success. We're lucky to have a great working relationship with key stakeholders and internal partners across departments. I'm privileged to work with some of the smartest, most driven people I've encountered in my career. Respect is given and expected of all Puppet employees; it's clear that the culture matters.

Cons

Some of the internal tools for collaboration (JIRA, Confluence) are not as well suited to the task as other alternatives would be. Thank goodness for Slack!

October 9, 2019

Hi, this is Dan Divens, Director of Website Marketing at Puppet. Thank you for sharing your feedback about your experience here at Puppet. I’m thrilled to hear that you are enjoying working at Puppet, and echoed the importance of our values and how you have experienced them. We’ve all worked hard to create a respectful workplace and our culture is a reflection of that. I’m very proud to be part of such an awesome team of innovators, trying new technologies and taking chances, and lifting each other up in the process!

8. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - TAM in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Puppet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Been with Puppet for exactly 90 days to this date. Puppet has been an outstanding place to work. I've never worked at a company that is so inclusive where you really feel like you are contributing to the greater success of the company. I've thoroughly enjoyed my work over the past 90 days and really look forward to the next 90 and beyond.

Cons

Starting can feel like "drinking from a firehose" with all there is to learn and get up to speed with initially.

9. "Feeling pretty darn privilege to be apart of the Puppet fam!"

Current Employee - Revenue Accountant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Puppet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

An amazing team! We work as a unit, helping each other reach the finish line - no man left behind during audit season or monthly closes! There is a fantastic work-life balance and an equally fantastic management team. Our controller lets us know our work is valued. When we put in the extra work hours to kick off a new project it does not go unnoticed or unrewarded (shout out to our CFO!). I've always felt pretty blessed to have a job (any job), but I feel a whole nother level of gratitude at Puppet.

Cons

I wish there were more opportunities to work/socialize with other departments. I feel like I don't know many people outside of the G&A team.

June 19, 2019

Hi, this is Luke Dutton, Corporate Controller at Puppet. It makes me happy to hear about your positive experience on the team and that you're valued for your work! Work-life balance is important and it takes the whole team's collective efforts and support of one another to successfully reach our goals. I love your description of our collaborative team environment that we strive for and one of the values that we want to build upon. Be the team you want to work with!

"Too little, too late! Especially in any sales capacity."

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Enterprise Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at Puppet full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Well known in the DevOps space. - Above average base salary and non-recoverable draw. -Genuinely a great group of people that will help out when their limited time allows. -Expansive open source base. -F500 referernancbale customer base.

Cons

- Configuration Management is on a rapid decent due to the cloud and containers. Puppet was created in 2005, Chef in 2009. Without going into a lot of technical detail, these tools were created for a world of on-prem and VM's. You needed to treat those servers as "pets" versus today where you can spin up instances in the cloud, run whatever it is you need to, and then tear them down and thus consider them as "cattle." Do a search on mutable vs. immutable infrastructure for more. -It took Puppet over eight years to roll out a commercial version of its Open Source product. That said, the pain of transitioning from an OS software vendor still resonates. - Little visibility into the OS customer base. - Got blindsided by Ansible which is now to Config Mgt tool of choice. - Just rolled out a few new products that still may have some promise but as stated earlier, too little, too late as still viewed as a one trick pony - The product's learning curve (Infrastructure as Code) is immense. Period. That's why they are touting Puppet Bolt with it's YAML and other programming capabilities as a defensive position. - Very few net new logos. Ask where the majority of the revenue is coming from. -The OS community has been ignored for many, many years. Don't expect any Puppet User Groups to be up and running. - Series F funded company. That is way down the alphabet. Do you research on Crunchbase. That said, what's the exit strategy??? - Massive turnover. Just this year, CEO, Chief Product Officer, Director of Engineering, VP of NA Sales all gone. Over ¼ of sales team gone. - Presales, SDR’s and channel/alliance spread razor thin. - The most unrealistic reality vs. expectations ever experienced. - Weekly sales calls are nothing more than continual forecasting exercises. - Very little, if any communication between the sales geographies - Will spend more time trying to save at-risk renewals and those going to OS than hunting for net-new logos -Pressure cooker sales environment. The most I ever faced in 12+ years in software sales. - Very few making quota. - Churn in almost all territories. - Probably could share 10+ more items but will leave you with this: After only 9 months, I was “let go” without any forewarning. The official reason was that I was not moving deals fast enough. Not that this had ANYTHING to do with this review. After seven months on the job, I realized the before mentioned challenges with this space, and Puppet as a whole and realized this is not a place to bet your career on. I was not the first person to be given zero notification of any performance issues, and likely will not be the last. In summary, there are likely 100+ better software companies for you to consider.

June 26, 2019

Hi, this is Yvonne Wassenaar, CEO of Puppet. Thank you for your thoughts on Puppet. With a deep focus on treating people with integrity, it was disappointing to hear how you experienced your time here at Puppet. I hear in your comments your frustration and concern for the company and our future. Transitions are hard and similar to so many of our customers, Puppet is in a period of transition. As you mention, we established ourselves early on as the leader in infrastructure automation in the node centric world and service many of the top name customers in the Global 2000 and beyond. We are currently extending that into vulnerability remediation and the ultimate evolution into self-healing environments across both node centric and cloud native environments. As we charge forward on this evolution, we are doubling down on our open source community & open source users. We just held our first ever 2 day in person contributor summit which was a great success and we have sponsored several new and exciting open source projects including Bolt, Lyra, Litumus and Wash. We are also exploring new ways of engaging with the 40K customers of our open source solution. While we are not at end-game on these various efforts, I am deeply encouraged by the momentum we are driving around the globe and very bullish on our future. That said, I appreciate during these times of transition the work can be hard and that part of being an agile organization means that things will evolve, pivot and change over time which can be challenging. We are committed to minimizing those challenges and we are very excited about the new field leadership that has come on board as we continue to accelerate Puppet’s growth. While not everything went as planned in your time at Puppet, I hope there were some spots of learning and goodness that you can take with you in the next chapter of your career. Wishing you all the best.

Found 125 reviews