Puppet Reviews

Updated May 7, 2021

3.9
Puppet CEO Yvonne Wassenaar (no image)
Yvonne Wassenaar
Pros
  • "good salary, work life balance and management team (very collaborative )(in 20 reviews)

• "Great work environment and lots of awesome people to interact with around the globe(in 10 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Growing pains of moving from Startup to Larger scale left a lot of the great company culture in the dust(in 7 reviews)

• "It took Puppet over eight years to roll out a commercial version of its Open Source product(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Puppet and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Awesome team and place to work

May 4, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

High impact team with clear understanding of strategic focus areas that will get us to to the next stage of growth

Cons

Hard to be virtual but this is not a Puppet issue

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company to work for but still having some growing pains

Mar 26, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people at Puppet are what makes this company an amazing place to work. Everyone, there is truly driven and willing to help you to be successful. Great work-life balance, good benefits, and flexible schedules. Management does care about their employees well being. Especially through COVID. SLT is amazing. Very open and down to earth.

Cons

Lack of growth opportunities for senior employees. 401K Match could be better. Sometimes the company can feel a little too political and alienates some of the employees that are not "Woke"

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good company, needs better marketing

Apr 26, 2021 - Sales Engineering in Portland, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Excellent technology and great people to work with - Supportive company with lots of internal promotions worldwide

Cons

- Often get beaten on the marketing front by competitors - Starting to get more frugal money-wise which is a minor concern

4. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Absolutely great until Luke left

May 7, 2021 - Anonymous
      Business Outlook

Pros

- free beer, very smart people

Cons

standard silicon valley management style

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Lots of potential sadly being wasted

Apr 13, 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benifits, nice work life balance.

Cons

The company lacks direction, there are no new ideas, badly organised product teams.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great company, interesting sales org

Jan 15, 2021 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company culture is all about employee support and growth. Felt like a giant family.

Cons

New leadership that took over shifted everything. Change is good, change for the sake of change is bad. Seems like the sales leader might be a bit full of himself and is using his keys to the castle to try and show that he's legit. If his sales method and plan doesn't work out though, it's a huge crash and burn for a company that was doing many things correctly.

2 people found this review helpful

Puppet Response

VP, People

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback – it's great to hear you resonated with the company culture and our support in employees well-being and investment in employees' growth and development. In the longer term, it's so important that our teammates can aspire toward growth within Puppet – we are a growth culture and are thrilled to offer opportunities for teammates to develop and advance their career path with Puppet. And thank you for pointing out a good reminder for all of us - change doesn't always serve us well when it's not thoughtfully considered and contributes to the elevated experience for our customers. We are certainly taking care to consider how the changes we make impact all involved and what we are solving for; your feedback is a great reminder of the importance of this. - Paul Heywood, Chief Revenue Officer

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great culture, great people, terrible management

Feb 2, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people that work at Puppet are wonderful. They are open, empathetic, kind, talented, and fun to work with.

Cons

Management has no idea how to manage products. They launched several failed initiatives, completely ignored industry trends, and frequently abandon projects and waste engineering time.

6 people found this review helpful

Puppet Response

Hi - Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your experiences at Puppet. As a leader, and member of the Puppet community, I'm sorry that your experience as an engineer at Puppet was less than fantastic. While meeting the current needs of our customers and charting a course for the future are critical to our ongoing success, this shouldn't come at the expense of developer happiness. We built our company in support of creating tools and automation to eliminate soul crushing work, and we aim to apply this same credo to our internal software development practices as well. I do recognize that all of our ideas and initiatives have not been a success. Innovation is a critical success criteria for any technology company today, and while we've built innovation into our fabric, sometimes our ideas miss the mark. My hope is that we can continue to learn, and never fear failure. And, feedback like this does help us in our learning process. Thanks again for your time, AJ Johnson, Sr. Director of Engineering.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Puppet Software

Mar 30, 2021 - Sales Representative in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and fun place to work

Cons

Limited resources in support and staff

9. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Not the company it used to be

Apr 8, 2021 - Senior Sales Compensation Analyst in Portland, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Remote work was encouraged pre-covid

Cons

New management lacks experience and people skills required to retain talented employees and promote a healthy work/life balance

10. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Well supported teams, slow moving decision making.

Mar 30, 2021 - Software Engineer in Portland, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong project and product management support for teams.

Cons

Poor salary adjustment practices, slow and political advancement practices.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 149 Reviews