Purcell Murray Reviews | Glassdoor

Purcell Murray Reviews

1.0
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Absolute worst experience of my life"

Former Employee - Showroom Assistant
    Former Employee - Showroom Assistant

I worked at Purcell Murray part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I will say that the Murray's and Mr. Purcell are good people. From everything I gathered, they really do care about who works for them, and they want everyone to succeed. I don't have anything negative to say about them. The office staff are also generally very pleasant to work with and I never really had a negative experience with anyone in "the back." Larissa was by far the best mentor I had. She was kind and compassionate, but also straight forward when she needed to be. In addition, she is amazing at what she does.

Cons

The reason this was the worst experience of my life boils down to my direct supervisor. I am speculating about who the other reviewer is, but if I'm correct, from what I heard my supervisor was even worse to her than she was to me, which is hard to imagine. Literally from my very first day on the job, I felt like I was an unwilling player in a game to see how I could mess up. She went out of her way to scold me, correct me, and make me feel like I was an incompetent child. I could not go a day without some sort of confrontation about something she felt I had not done correctly. She was condescending and rude. I caught her on multiple occasions bad mouthing me to my coworker (who was her pet) and to my other supervisor. I cannot recall a time when I was given any positive feedback without an additional negative remark. The absolute worst thing she was guilty of was telling me something and then later denying everything she told me and accusing me of lying about it. A few examples: she was once directing me on what to say to a client over email regarding an issue the client had with a product. I wrote down what she told me and copied it verbatim into my email. She later went through my email and accused me of putting words in her mouth, being unprofessional, and going above her head, when the reality was I had repeated word for word exactly what she had told me to. Another example, and the worst thing she ever pulled, was telling me when I was hired part time that there was definitely room for discussion about me being full time once I graduated college, and mentioning it a couple times during my first month there. As my graduation date got closer and closer, she came to me and basically told me that that notion was all in my head and I had imagined it. I have never met someone so vindictive and spiteful in my whole entire life. This was the worst job I have ever had and I will always regret wasting 6 months of my life there. Save yourself the trouble, and don't work here. Unless kitchen appliances are your life passion there are much better places to work.

2. "This place is full of Nepotism, Micromanagers, and Toxic people"

I worked at Purcell Murray full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company does not have one redeemable quality although I did learn to appreciate my previous work life before I came to this company. Working here was pure hell, no joke.

Cons

- The owners treat their employees like their servants. What self respecting company throws a holiday party at work instead of renting out a nice restaurant to treat their hardworking employees?
    - Beware of upper management, the directors are out of touch with your needs and the middle management is hellbent on clawing their way up the corporate ladder and they WILL steam roll you to get there. I can honestly say that my direct manager was rotten through and through. They smile to your face while driving the knife to your back.
    - The micromanagement in that place is insane. I believe in being at work at a reasonable time and putting in the work but this company took it too far. Managers would actually go out of their way to make rounds at 8am sharp to ensure you were in your seat slaving away.
    - Lack of courtesy towards their employees. After leaving I never received COBRA benefits and my 401k was canceled without notice. Maybe it's just me but even a phone call would've been nice.
    - No employee perks, not even snacks..just the occasional leftovers from the showroom presentations they have.
    - Definitely not a place for people looking to advance their careers. Anybody looking to grow in a role that isn't in the good graces of the middle management will get nixed.

Advice to Management

How about treating your employees with respect and dignity? For one, quit micro-managing their time and secondly quit pretending you're in tune with your employees' needs cause you aren't! Also, give people an incentive to stay and also don't promise prospective employees the moon and stars in this company when you have vicious toxic people in managerial positions. The only people that enjoy working there are complacent folks with no aspirations or people that are gearing up to retire.