Pure Romance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chris Cicchinelli

Pros
  • You decide how much you want to work (in 7 reviews)

• I am part-time, with zero girls signed under me and I still feel the fruits of my labor (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Besides, you have to spend money to make money (in 9 reviews)

• Plain and simple a pyramid scheme (in 4 reviews)

"Corporate Office"

Current Employee - Administrative in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Administrative in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Pure Romance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment and perks. Amazing leadership and opportunity to grow within company. Hard work is recognized and rewarded quickly. And of course being surrounded by the best co-workers ever!

Cons

None... if you're not happy, then you're probably not working hard enough.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Not the place for those seeking to make an impact"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Pure Romance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the spirit of a complete review there are some pros. Frequent happy hours, some opportunities to travel, lots of office party type incentives. Despite all the cons below, you do get a sense that the founding family has the best intentions.

Cons

The majority of management (including top leadership) is so unsure of themselves they never communicate expectations, don't set parameters for successs, and micromanage down to the minute to actively prevent employees from taking any level of initiative. The level of infighting rivals a school playground, and unprofessionalism is abound. Because the way the company has grown, it has built a bubble around itself that actively squashes outside perspective. You're either all-in or you're the enemy. There's no room for a differing opinion or fresh perspective. Turnover is atrocious, and those that have stayed adopt a scary battered mentality where it's rationalized as normal when an employee is berated with cursing and put-downs just because a leader was feeling a bit grumpy. Note to potential employees: filter out reviews that don't come from corporate hq jobs. After someone leaves a bad review, Consultants (non-employees who buy and resell product) are asked to leave multiple glowing reviews to drown out the bad.

Advice to Management

No point. Advice falls on deaf ears.

3. "Just starting"

Current Employee - Consultant in Logan, UT
    Current Employee - Consultant in Logan, UT

Pros

I literally just started, just scheduled my "pop the box" party. I'mean so excited! I never thought about reading reviews before starting this business, but I'very already invested so I'may moving forward with positive vibes!

Cons

I do agree, it does cost to invest but I believe it's going to be worth it.! Besides, you have to spend money to make money!!

Advice to Management

Again, I agree, the cost is a little steep. Definitely need to lower prices and shipping costs. Those shipping costs are insane, it's almost like punishment!!

"Full of lies"

Former Employee - Advanced Consultant in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Advanced Consultant in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Pure Romance part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Made back my starter kit money at my first party, made decent money overall, parties are usually fun

Cons

You need to spend a lot on clothing, supplies, ect, they also hook you on the fact that it's a sisterhood of girls who will support you...I had major tragic events this year and had to take a break from my business. Literally every consultant stopped talking to me! They acted like I didn't exist because I was no longer a consultant. I was planning on returning originally but am definitely not going to now.

6. "I liked the company"

Former Employee - Advanced Consultant in Richland, SC
    Former Employee - Advanced Consultant in Richland, SC

I worked at Pure Romance part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved that I was promoting women's health. Often women are ashamed to talk about their bodies if it's not like the model that you see on most magazines. PR allowed them to discuss openly& have fun while doing it. I liked the opportunity to meet new people. I was my own boss.

Cons

I didn't like it when they changed up the rules and said that the orders had to be a minimum of $300. By that time I was working and was in school. I only hosted small parties and didn't get big orders. So I had to quit.

Advice to Management

Do not dictate how much an order should be.

"Current Consultant"

Current Employee - Advanced Consultant in Southampton, PA
    Current Employee - Advanced Consultant in Southampton, PA

I have been working at Pure Romance part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love this Company. They offer so much Training around the Country. They also have Great Sales and Contest to earn Free Trips for the Consultants.

Cons

The only con really is Shipping. yes you collect for shipping from everyone who orders but everything gets shipped to you and then you have to ship or deliver it to the client

Advice to Management

I love the 19 Dollar ship days but sometimes i feel like the shipping charges are Outrageous.

"Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Pure Romance (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to move up in the company and lots of fun

Cons

Income depends on parties booked

"Independent Contractor"

Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Bristol, VA
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Bristol, VA

Pros

Own boss, set own hours, compensation, incentive trips

Cons

I can't think of any

"Impossible to be profitable"

Current Employee - Advanced Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Advanced Consultant in Denver, CO

Pros

Make your own hours. The liquid line is amazing.

Cons

Where do I start.... The initial kit is full of cheap items I wouldn't recommend to anyone. Making money is impossible, mainly because of the extremely high shipping charges. Shipping starts at $25 and goes up from here about $5.00 or more for every $50 in orders. In fact, they charge you "shipping cost" for annual fees.... Not sure how you can be charged shipping for a fee. Unresponsive to email or support....

Also they continue to state you are your own business owner... However, their corporate rules are crazy... Then my "sponsor" has her own set of rules and are not in line with corporate. I'm scared to host a party because of their stupid rules.

Lastly, they purchased a competitive business, and now many of their consultants are out of business because Chris wants to be the only "man" with PR... He's weird and creepy.

Advice to Management

Figure out your shipping. This is killing your consultants.

"Laughable"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Pure Romance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office, free parking, most people were friendly. Seemed to be moderately laid back environment with autonomy.

Cons

Plain and simple a pyramid scheme.

No organic growth, growth only comes from acquiring other direct sales party companies or attempting to re-stack the pyramid in other countries, somehow failing to realize that expanding into countries like Australia, South Africa or Germany, all of which have significantly smaller populations than the US will have hardly any impact on top line revenue.

The customer isn't the end user, the customer is the consultant who has to buy (or finance!) their inventory. Gross margins are amazing, and it shows, since PR prices are 2-3x that of any other competitor. 50%+ of the product price goes to paying consultants, so they can't compete on price or quality of merchandise, rather relying on the rapid but unsustainable direct sales/MLM model.

Most people didn't seem that intelligent, but I guess you can't be too bright if you see your career developing within a pyramid scheme. Narcissism runs rampant, but that is to be expected at a sales driven (& pleasure driven) business.

Pretty decent size company operating without any HR department, because HR itself turns over pretty quickly?

Advice to Management

I'd be hiding assets in shell companies or offshore so they can't be seized when the FTC comes knocking or the pyramid collapses, since there is a finite amount of consultants who can be recruited into the pyramid. Once all of the competitors are acquired, it'll be much more evident that fewer consultants are signing up and eventually the novelty wears off as everyone has harassed their friends, so bookings will just fall off a cliff.