Pure Romance Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 17, 2019

3.7
Chris Cicchinelli

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Lots of training and lots of money to be made" (in 4 reviews)

• "Parties are fun and relating to other women and making money is great" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Have to spend some money to make money" (in 11 reviews)

• "Shipping costs can be very high, profit margin slides if recruiting and sales quotas are not met" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing Company!"

Current Employee - Advanced Consultant in Panama City, FL
    Current Employee - Advanced Consultant in Panama City, FL

I have been working at Pure Romance part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company gives me the freedom to work as much or as little as I want and make great money while doing so! I have gained so much confidence in myself and had more opportunities than any other company before.

Cons

I have yet to see a con.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Love you all for what you do for us girls!

2. "Love It!"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Pure Romance part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great work life balance always

Cons

Getting people to commit party

"A real full-time employee (not a consultant) review"

I have been working at Pure Romance full-time

Pros

This place is tough; real tough. The CEO forces you to be your best and that’s probably why there are some negative reviews from former employees out there. If you can't stand the heat then you'll fail.

Yes, a tough place IS a 'Pro'. I've learnt so much since I've been here it makes my head spin. Hours can be long, PTO can sometimes be hit or miss. But I for one have grown more in the last few years while working for PR that anywhere else over the last 20 years. The ex-employees who’ve posted negative reviews here on Glassdoor I feel never got that; those people who've left under bad terms did so due to their own fault. If you're not prepared to give this job your all, then you'll fail AND you'll hate working here.

Usual perks (Free coffee, soda and snacks) + a gym and access to a trainer help alleviate the stress.

Free parking (downtown parking free - How rare is that?) also makes this a great location to work in.

CLC (the CEO) is a hard task-master - of that there is no argument (including from him), but would you rather have a CEO who’s a wimp who will let you slack, or a driven CEO who demands you be just as driven? I know who I'd rather.

On occasions, working at PR can be exhausting, on others it can be infuriating. But most of all it’s wonderfully rewarding.

At the end of the day, once you remember that we have two bosses - CLC AND the consultants, then it all makes sense. Knowing that what we do helps so many ladies out there become masters of their own destinies, then pushing hard for them makes it so much more worthwhile.

CLC is a passionate man – it’s obvious he cares about the consultants but he also cares about the employees as well. He may not show it always but when you listen to him speak from the heart, it comes out.

Cons

The almost ADHD type environment can drag sometimes; it makes it hard to prioritize. However it is slowly getting better.

Advice to Management

Try and stick to some long term targets and not pivot hard in an opposing direction so often. Set up some policies and stick to them like glue - your employees will appreciate that little bit of stability!

4. "Grow and Go!"

Current Employee - Advanced Consultant in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Advanced Consultant in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Pure Romance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make a decent living if you put in the work (as with with everything worth having) you meet new people and you have fun doing it! If you are motivated and belive in what you are selling, then this will be the best opportunity ever! There are programs in place to assist you with building inventory. You just got to want it.

Cons

you have to stay motivated.

Advice to Management

the only advice i would have is it would be nice to have a grace period with the invetory programs. But they are soooooooo helpful to growing your business.

5. "A reviewof Pure Romance"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Pure Romance part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

work your own hours
    customer service is good

Cons

getting parties and having them hold

Advice to Management

you need to get with the times and start changing thing sto more online parties for people to make money. Support your sales force that way.
    Stop yelling at your upper sales force

6. "Sexual Health Wellness Coach"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Pure Romance part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money, Schedule, Work Life Balance, Sisterhood, Training, Corporate is AMAZING and truly works with their consultants.

Cons

Nothing really, it is YOUR business. So all of the negative comments on here are more than likely consultants who have no motivation or desire to be an entrepreneur. It takes work they aren't going to do it for you, so take responsibility for your lack of drive.

Advice to Management

I think management is fantastic!! They truly care about their consultants and make sure we have everything we need to be successful. Keep up the great work!!

7. "Sales Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Access to large networks of people

Cons

No help from senior consultants at all whatsoever
    Cannot switch teams or senior consultants unless you start all over again and pay their fees for a year after you quit
    Scam company that makes you use their shipping service so they can overcharge

Advice to Management

Hire people who actually care about their sales team and wants to help them sell and build a team. My senior consultant was absolutely horrible and wouldn't help me with training or anything pertaining to the position.

"Run Away"

I worked at Pure Romance full-time

Pros

... they provide a paycheck

Cons

Pause. Right now. Take a second to look at these reviews. The positive ones ONLY come from consultants who are not employees of this company. In fact, the executives of this organization frequently ask these non-employees to post glowing reviews to drown out the more authentic, largely-negative reviews from actual corporate office employees.

If you’re considering working at the Cincinnati office in any capacity run, run away. From the moment you enter the door you will be told how little you matter and how much of a burden you are. You could be the best-of-the-best in your profession and be subject to incompetent micro-management by “leaders” who have zero clue how anything works in the real world. Sure, there are some good people in the organization, but the overall culture is toxic.

Imagine a sorority. Now imagine a misogynistic, “mansplaining” frat boy was made president of that sorority. That’s the CEO. Despite having little outside experience other than his inherited role, this CEO acts as if he’s lord, savio pimp and protector to every person under his control. No matter what they say, EVERY person in the building fears him, and the #1 business objective is to simply not to cause him to explode (loudly and violently).

Sound like a winning business? Didn’t think so. If the venture funding doesn’t dry up, laws will catch up to choke off their manipulative practices. If not that, well, it’s only a matter of time before the #MeToo movement catches up with certain execs.

Advice to Management

Find new leadership. Learn compassion.

9. "Good company if you like making your own hours"

I worked at Pure Romance part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, part time or full time

Cons

Filing your own taxes, traveling to new clients

"Horrible culture, even worse management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Pure Romance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It’s tough to come up with one.

Cons

It's not difficult to see that a privately-owned company headed by egomaniacs is never a good place to be, particularly when the purse strings of the company are largely controlled by private equity groups.

The capriciousness, immaturity and pettiness trickles down to middle management and instills a blatant disregard for the dignity and respect of the employees. Extreme drama reigns at Pure Romance, and always will.

The culture is horrendous, with everyone bending to the whims of an unpredictable CEO and politically-charged upper management. As a middle-level employee, your duty is to fawn over the Executive Team, and drop everything you're doing to please them. It is not uncommon for the CEO to call all-staff meetings early in the morning in order to lash out at all employees, always reminding all of the importance and vision of the leadership.

The reason most of the reviews on this site are favorable is because they've been written by mostly "Consultants" who hold the parties and sell the products, rather than true employees who are in the office every day and see the dysfunction firsthand. If this review is deleted, it'll be only because of the overwhelming ego of those at the top, and their need for self-aggrandizing praise and positive reinforcement.

Advice to Management

Start respecting all employees and stop encouraging and rewarding drama.