Pure Romance Reviews | Glassdoor

Pure Romance Reviews

Updated May 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • You decide how much you want to work (in 7 reviews)

• I am part-time, with zero girls signed under me and I still feel the fruits of my labor (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Besides, you have to spend money to make money (in 9 reviews)

• Plain and simple a pyramid scheme (in 4 reviews)

"Choose Another Company!"

Former Employee - Consultant in Middletown, OH
    Former Employee - Consultant in Middletown, OH

Pros

If you can manage to have parties, you'll do great. You get paid 40% of the purchase price instantly.

Cons

Although you make 40% commission, you have to pay $19 for shipping even to go and pick up your order at the warehouse! Say someone wanted a toy that was $99, you pay $59 (plus tax) plus $19 shipping! Your profit from this (large for me) sale would be enough to cover gas to go pick up from Loveland and Deliver to the customer. I got endless complaints over how expensive the products were. Another issue was that I sponsored 2 new consultants in 4 months, and my free product credit never showed. I promoted like crazy, offered insane hostess freebies and discounts and had no takers. At the end of 5 months, I earned my kit price back plus about $75.

Advice to Management

Offer more affordable shipping for consultants. It's easier to get a sale if you don't charge customers the extra $6. even on one order, we still pay $13 out of pocket to get a customer 1 bottle of body dew.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Customer Loyalty Team Member in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Loyalty Team Member in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Pure Romance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment
    Great benefits
    Many employees promote from within
    Continually growing, up year over year

Cons

First quarter is INSANELY busy, but also fun. You just have to be prepared to work your butt off!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Don't forget to thank the hardest working employees to keep them motivated.

"Great people"

Current Employee - Designer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Designer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Pure Romance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people, great pay, and unique environment

Cons

its always busy, and there isn't much downtime... but is that really a con?

"Stay far, far away."

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Pure Romance (More than a year)

Pros

Downtown, cool idea for a company (if executed correctly) free plates, forks and spoons for lunch.

Cons

It hurts to see all these Consultants coming to this company's defense. It should be illegal for businesses like this to exist. The founder, President and (most except for the CFO) executives are incredibly oppressive, abusive and degrading. I'm not sure who has it worse, the Corporate employees who are treated terribly to their faces or the Consultants who are smiled at and praised in person, but then trampled all over behind the scenes. The company has lost over 40% of its employees in the past year, this is a huge indication that something is terribly wrong. Just recently, two employees quit on the same day. The following day there was a staff meeting in which the President asked what he can do to make people happy. Someone suggested recognition. He laughed in their face and remarked 'What, like a certificate? Get real.' It was so bizarre to watch him refuse and laugh at our suggestions. He does not care that he is driving the company into the ground by disrespecting everyone that works for him. The bartenders-turned-executives have been promoted to the level of incompetence (particularly those in the creative department) and have no business being in the position they are in, but will will not and can not ever leave because outside of this company, they have no real skill set and would never find anything comparable. The company is quickly falling apart.

Advice to Management

Replace all of the upper level management. Find people who know how to manage and who don't operate sheerly out of fear of the president and founder.

"Just Keep Swimming"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Pure Romance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most employees are nice, normal people. You can make friends with other employees here easily.
    If you're in the right department, your manager will go to bat for you.
    The benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Upper management leaves a lot to be desired. It's difficult to manage a company that began as family run and then try to shift to a corporate feel. Procedures seem to apply to only certain people and not to everyone. There are noticeable favorites.

There is a tone of excitement among some managers and higher ups when projects go badly. You will be met with smug smiles and frequently reminded that you are incompetent. There is no point in defending yourself because nobody is listening and quite frankly, they do not care. It will be the equivalent of a parental scolding and being grounded for bringing home a bad report card. You will feel awful about it and it will come up again and again in the future. Your job duties may be changed or some even taken away.

If a project does go well, expect no recognition or approval of any kind. It will simply never be discussed again. People from other departments will also be sure to tell you what they feel are your shortcomings and how to do your job. There are several employees who threaten to tattle to the higher ups if you answer a question in a way they don't like. This will result in a call to your manager and then a discussion with you about it. Even when you are correct.

The pay is not worth the amount of hours if you are on salary. Raises and bonuses are an enigma. Helpful things like training for your particular role are often discussed yet rarely happen. There also seems to be a direct correlation between attractiveness and advancement opportunities.

The stress is very high. Everything has to be done yesterday and a response of "I'm working on it right now," is not satisfactory. Things change quickly but the schedule is largely based on the CEO's (often unattainable) expectations and have nothing to do with real time. Things get rushed to meet a deadline but the work can be shoddy. You then get back into the loop of being called incompetent. You will be consistently mentally exhausted. If you have a family prepare to put them on hold for anything related to the company regardless of the hour. Your efforts will never be enough despite logging hours long into evenings, weekends, and occasionally even holidays.

Some managers will scrutinize every move you make and others will be so hands off that you have little to no direction and can easily be blindsided by things you weren't even aware of. That said, there are a few good managers, depending on your department.

It's true that the consultant's love the company and from that standpoint I bet it is great to work here. For the ones who are in the background and keep the company going day to day - Not so much.

Advice to Management

Employee morale is very low. The majority of employees feel they have no voice and no one to speak with about their concerns. Anyone who speaks up to any level of management (or even to those who are intended to be neutral) is met with defensive criticism.

Pure Romance Response

Dec 9, 2014 – PR Team

We would like to take the time to comment about your post as it relates to the leadership of our company. As you know, Pure Romance is a family-owned and family-run company, and for a decade our CEO ... More

"I am new to PR and absolutely love the sisterhood!"

Current Employee - Certified Consultant in Richland, SC
    Current Employee - Certified Consultant in Richland, SC

I have been working at Pure Romance part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You make your business what you want it to be. It's educating women how to better themselves and their relationship. It's fun and very rewarding and there are always sales. The products are amazing and leave you wanting more.

Cons

It definitely takes an open mind and the ambition to want more in your business. It's YOUR business! It is what you make it.

Advice to Management

I Love Pure Romance!

"Breathtaking"

Current Employee - Advanced Consultant in Sumter, SC
    Current Employee - Advanced Consultant in Sumter, SC

I have been working at Pure Romance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was in the military for 8 years and I was never able to spend time with my children, but when I joined Pure Romance I can make my own hours. I book parties when I want to work and not when someone tells me too. The sisterhood of Pure Romance is amazing. I have never been around so much empowered women that know what they want and explain how they get it. I love it so much and I am glad I joined this wonderful family.

Cons

There is no cons of my job. You make money when you want too. You control your own paycheck.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work to help us keep these women empowered and educated.

"11 years and I'm falling more and more in love..."

Current Employee - Trainer/Consultant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Trainer/Consultant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pure Romance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hold on for the ride of a lifetime. Fast-paced, Opportunity for excitement! Pure Romance is like a fine wine that gets better with age. You have the opportunity to grow in EVERY aspect.. Specifically as a person. Love that!!

Cons

If you don't like change it can be hard. If you don't like to be challenged, or to be flexible.. Pure Romance offers lots of opportunity for excitement so if you are stuck in your ways.. Con for you

Advice to Management

By improving as individuals, you inspire us to do the same and grow. Advice., don't ever stop being a student.

"Best career ever!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Pure Romance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom to work by my own rules. Work when I want and make as much as I want. Love it!

Cons

This business is for go-getters! You have to have the fire in the belly! If you work hard and are passionate you can make it!

"I love working with this company, I help out in any way that I can."

Former Employee - Personal Assistant of Pure Romance By Heather in Sumter, SC
    Former Employee - Personal Assistant of Pure Romance By Heather in Sumter, SC

I worked at Pure Romance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very knowledgable staff, incredible products, professional training, a family run business who treat their employees like family.

Cons

None that I can think of. This company is unique and truly one of a kind.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing, tireless work and passion that you share with everyone.