Pure Storage Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Charles Giancarlo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work environment involves many interesting things and changes often" (in 16 reviews)

• "Great product and innovative roadmap" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Company is growing so fast, need to get infrastructure in place fast to support the business so it can keep moving fast" (in 10 reviews)

• "Growing pains going from startup to larger company" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Great Business Model, Great Technology, even Better Culture & Customer love Pure."

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company genuinely has a technology that leads the market, a business model that is customer centric, and customers love them. On top of this and add a culture that likes to do things the Pure way, its infectious.

Cons

Company is growing so fast, need to get infrastructure in place fast to support the business so it can keep moving fast. Field Sales people are carrying too much Non Revenue Generating weight.

Advice to Management

Get the Sales People Operational Support, Working day and nights to keep up with workload is okay in the short term, but everyone needs their family and personal time. 401k Match is a key missing benefit.

"Pure dropped the ball..."

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Pure Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, stock is improving

Cons

I was at Pure for more than 3 years and even though things seem fine from the outside, there are a lot of internal problems. The HR & Recruiting org is a toxic mess. Pure hired bad leaders; the CHRO runned things into the ground, to the point where almost the entire HR & Recruiting team quit over a 3 month period and people are continuing to leave. The turnover is really bad and the team received the lowest employee survey results in the entire company 2 years in a row.

There are serious moral and unethical issues such as bullying, sexisim, bias and favoritisim. Despite being the top performer on my team I didn't receive a pay increase for 2.5 years and was never considered for a promotion (while male leaders hired their "friends" directly into manager roles who had no experience). It was also discovered that a handful of males were secretly receiving bonuses and were told not to tell others, they overwork certain people and let others get away with doing nothing. Being swamped with work while other team members openly hangout and chit-chat, listen to music, watch YouTube, and browse the web was very frustrating to say the least.

I hoped for change and waited it out for over a year but HR & Recruiting continued to unravel and get worse. Some executive leaders are fully aware of the deep rooted problems and tried to speak up on behalf of those of us being mistreated since they noticed everyone was quitting and things were falling apart quickly, but it fell on deaf ears.

It was unfortunate how things played out, none of us wanted to leave but we had no choice, we had to make the tough choice to take a stand and jump ship before it sank.

Advice to Management

I hope the CEO steps in and takes action to fix things before they lose more great people. I know a lot of people who left the HR & Recruiting team that would come back to Pure if they got rid of the "bad apples" including the CHRO and one specific male director.

3. "Amazing place to work"

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time

Pros

Unlimited PTO and sick days
    Plenty of snacks and drinks
    Orange everywhere!
    Everyone is great to work with

Cons

Long hours
    We don't have a campus

Advice to Management

Please restore the Pure culture and values. I understand that the company is growing and changing, but this is what makes Pure Storage special.

4. "SOUL-CRUSHING SWEATSHOP (Inside Sales Organization exclusively)"

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good employee benefits.
    The pay is fairly decent but, it's progressively gotten worse as they take away incentives and bonuses.
    The company makes very solid products. We have a top-notch engineering team.
    The culture of the overall company is stellar.

Cons

Once upon a time, we were paid on deals generated for the field team that closed. Then they decided we were paid too much and took it away. In the same breath, we were also paid bonuses on Net-New logos we helped bring in for the company, that was also retracted with no word.

The Pure culture is all but gone after a series of management hires from Meraki. It has now become a sweatshop where nothing matters except "getting to your number". Let's not talk about the fact that absolutely no market research went into coming up with a sales goal that's very high when compared to industry competition and from field leadership. This has lead to a quantity over a quality model that doesn't work for anyone but senior leadership inside the ISO.

There's a huge rift between the inside and field teams who they're supposed to be supporting. There's no alignment of goals, just "get meetings", no matter if it with current customers, buying a prospect a cup of coffee or actually scheduling a meeting with someone who can make a purchasing decision.

There are limited career advancement opportunities. As the company is looking to hire inside sellers to sell arrays where our competition has field presence, the only ones succeeding in that role are the ones who are located in or very near their territory where they can visit their prospects, thus showing that inside selling role isn't going to work.

Have I mentioned how bad the inside leadership is? Direct managers were promoted from SDR positions and have a cult-like mentality in terms of keeping any "outsiders" from succeeding. The politics here are worse than anyone could imagine which goes against the very fabric of the company itself. And the senior leadership team from Meraki where the average deal size was 5K thinks everyone should be at 150% of goal and constantly move the needle to squeeze every bit out of everyone before they spit you out once your territory that they continually reduce in size from over hiring and reallocation is dried up.

There's a tremendous amount of infighting and posturing between management as some look to get others fired. The office feels more like a prison than the fun place it once was to work.

There is no one account "owner" but you have accountability for all the accounts in your defined patch. So while you're calling into company XYZ so are 2-3 others creating a large amount of "noise" and confusion on the prospects part. It isn't enough that our aggressive goals have us hounding each prospect, so are 2-3 other people, some prospects are probably receiving as many as 10 calls a day and 10 emails a week just from Pure Storage!!

Advice to Management

Re-align the SDRs and ISRs to their field DMs for better alignment. Do what you will with the current ISO leadership but for a company looking to experience hyper-growth and manage costs, they seem like a large expense and management overlay.

5. "Member of Technical Staff"

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

really good pay. they give a lots of equity and high salary

Cons

toxic environment. backstabbing between team members to get promotion. bad management and don’t appreciate your works!

Advice to Management

stop micro-managing your employee!

6. "Program Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, free food and drinks

Cons

Too many red tapes as we grow, things used to move a lot faster before.

7. "This review is ONLY for Flash Array Technical Support team."

I worked at Pure Storage full-time

Pros

Overall, this is one of the beautiful companies I worked for but as you know there are bad apples everywhere. I’m writing this review to bring awareness to anyone interested in joining Flash Array Technical Support team and also for the team itself to improve on things, after-all we all are humans whatever the working conditions maybe.

Cons

1. Team doesn’t educate a new employee on the support process being followed internally.
    2. This team lacks motivation in motivating others. If you are looking to go up the ladder, this mayn’t be the place.
    3. I regret to say this but this team has bullying issues, especially from old-timers in the team. For a company like this, guys like them should have been kicked out long time ago but I’m surprised.

Overall, Pure is a great place to work but not Flash Array support team.

8. "Sr. Recruiter"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers are very engaged. They want to do the right thing for the employees.
    The environment is awesome. Everyone is in it together. The free food is awesome as well.

Cons

Not a lot of training documentation in some systems. But they are working on it. They are growing so it is to be expected.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Growing fast and have the right attitude in mind.

"Renewals Sales specialist"

Former Employee - Renewal Specialist in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Renewal Specialist in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Pure Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Product, and some teams actually collaborate. Free lunch Mon., Wed., and Fri. 2 free yoga classes a week at Yoga Belly. Decent pay.

Cons

This pertains to the renewal sales organization.
    No management direction, no formal product training, ask a question and get 3 different answers from 3 senior reps.
    No quota and definitely no way to monitor productivity or metrics.
    The manager is strong armed by the team.
    Don't believe work/life balance.
    The team sits at their desk and judges those who actually take a lunch or workout as not being available.
    The seniors on the team come and go as they please but judge everyone else.
    Don't get sick or be judged for not being in the office
    Don't go through IVF or be judged for not being in the office and working from home even though management approved.
    Don't have a miscarriage or be judged for not being in the office and working from home even though management approved.
    Basically if you are new to the company, DON'T GET SICK and stop your personal life.

Advice to Management

Get some metrics in place to properly align your reps. Run reports, hold proper product training, get a renewals playbook. Listen to everyone on the team. There is no reason why someone who has been building quotes for 2 years is still asking about SFDC and how to find certain information. That shows lack of training and leadership.

10. "Great company"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Product is A+, benefits are great, I enjoy working with most Puritans, not a ton of red tape, culture is good, collaborative environment.

Cons

Growing pains; There were some questionable hires in the past, mostly under the pressure to fill open headcount.