Pure Storage Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Charles Giancarlo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They pay you really well and it's a great product line" (in 16 reviews)

• "Work environment involves many interesting things and changes often" (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Business Model, Great Technology, even Better Culture & Customer love Pure."

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company genuinely has a technology that leads the market, a business model that is customer centric, and customers love them. On top of this and add a culture that likes to do things the Pure way, its infectious.

Cons

Company is growing so fast, need to get infrastructure in place fast to support the business so it can keep moving fast. Field Sales people are carrying too much Non Revenue Generating weight.

Advice to Management

Get the Sales People Operational Support, Working day and nights to keep up with workload is okay in the short term, but everyone needs their family and personal time. 401k Match is a key missing benefit.

2. "So far so good"

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My manager is hands on and let's me work

Cons

Growing rapidly, hard to get a bearing sometimes on projects

Advice to Management

keep up the great work

"Pure dropped the ball..."

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Pure Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, stock is improving

Cons

I was at Pure for more than 3 years and even though things seem fine from the outside, there are a lot of internal problems. The HR & Recruiting org is a toxic mess. Pure hired bad leaders; the CHRO runned things into the ground, to the point where almost the entire HR & Recruiting team quit over a 3 month period and people are continuing to leave. The turnover is really bad and the team received the lowest employee survey results in the entire company 2 years in a row.

There are serious moral and unethical issues such as bullying, sexisim, bias and favoritisim. Despite being the top performer on my team I didn't receive a pay increase for 2.5 years and was never considered for a promotion (while male leaders hired their "friends" directly into manager roles who had no experience). It was also discovered that a handful of males were secretly receiving bonuses and were told not to tell others, they overwork certain people and let others get away with doing nothing. Being swamped with work while other team members openly hangout and chit-chat, listen to music, watch YouTube, and browse the web was very frustrating to say the least.

I hoped for change and waited it out for over a year but HR & Recruiting continued to unravel and get worse. Some executive leaders are fully aware of the deep rooted problems and tried to speak up on behalf of those of us being mistreated since they noticed everyone was quitting and things were falling apart quickly, but it fell on deaf ears.

It was unfortunate how things played out, none of us wanted to leave but we had no choice, we had to make the tough choice to take a stand and jump ship before it sank.

Advice to Management

I hope the CEO steps in and takes action to fix things before they lose more great people. I know a lot of people who left the HR & Recruiting team that would come back to Pure if they got rid of the "bad apples" including the CHRO and one specific male director.

Pure Storage Response

Oct 2, 2018 – Pure Storage, HR

We are disappointed and sorry to hear this and appreciate you taking time to share your perspective. Here at Pure, we are committed to creating a positive experience and a safe, healthy, fair and... More

4. "Growth Story that is Alive and Well"

I worked at Pure Storage full-time

Pros

Incredible technology that handily blows the competition away. Benefits and pay are highly competitive. Lots of opportunity to make great money at this company.

Cons

Typical growing pains of a "startup like" company growing at scale. Territory segmentation being chief among them. Same with most manufacturers.

5. "Good Health Insurance Plan"

Pros

Health Insurance is paid by Pure

Cons

401K plan is missing here

"Software Engineer Internship"

Current Employee - Software Engineer(Internship) in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer(Internship) in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage (More than a year)

Pros

- application process is based on skill, be ready to solve coding problems/whiteboard
    - pays well, base of 8250/mo, 500 extra if repeat intern
    - get to work in pairs with a lot of autonomy on projects
    - talks with upper management

Cons

- bit of a boy's club, i.e. upper management is all old white guys

"Great HR Team!"

Current Employee - Sourcer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Sourcer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working at Pure for almost two years now and I have to say that I made a really good decision to come on board and work with the HR team in the Mountain View office.

My team is awesome, my manager is even better, and our team is growing like never before. Our current CHRO is one of my favorite Estaff members (along with our head of Legal) and has truly transformed our entire HR team since she joined in 2017.

I've come to really appreciate this team because we're starting to come together as a real community. Before our current CHRO joined, there was a lot of toxic behavior with several employees (who are now gone btw) and it caused somewhat of a rift within the broader team. Now that these folks are gone and we've hired on more new team members, we're starting to feel like an actual family. One that has fun and can celebrate each others wins. This team knows how to work hard and knows how to have fun!

Other pros...

- great company culture
    - great product
    - great benefits
    - career growth/opportunities available
    - fair compensation
    - training available for all full time employees (I think part-time too)
    - great perks (they even have a meditation room!)
    - free food and unlimited snacks in every building
    - flexible work schedules
    - department off-sites

Cons

- we're growing fast so you need to be a tad mindful of work/ life balance (they recently introduced wellness programs for which has helped me deal with stress)
    - we're overdue for a campus (space is somewhat tight in Mountain View)
    - diversity is lacking a bit

Advice to Management

Keep innovating, and changing the hearts and minds of those who say otherwise. We're here to win!

"Great benefits, vacation, healthcare"

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The compamy offers great benefits

Cons

Upward mobility is not clear, too many chiefs, not enough Indians 0

"Engineer"

I worked at Pure Storage full-time

Pros

Flexible culture, team building, sharing

Cons

Tech leads play a big role there. If tech lead is unfair, the team will be unfair.

"SOUL-CRUSHING SWEATSHOP (Inside Sales Organization exclusively)"

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good employee benefits.
    The pay is fairly decent but, it's progressively gotten worse as they take away incentives and bonuses.
    The company makes very solid products. We have a top-notch engineering team.
    The culture of the overall company is stellar.

Cons

Once upon a time, we were paid on deals generated for the field team that closed. Then they decided we were paid too much and took it away. In the same breath, we were also paid bonuses on Net-New logos we helped bring in for the company, that was also retracted with no word.

The Pure culture is all but gone after a series of management hires from Meraki. It has now become a sweatshop where nothing matters except "getting to your number". Let's not talk about the fact that absolutely no market research went into coming up with a sales goal that's very high when compared to industry competition and from field leadership. This has lead to a quantity over a quality model that doesn't work for anyone but senior leadership inside the ISO.

There's a huge rift between the inside and field teams who they're supposed to be supporting. There's no alignment of goals, just "get meetings", no matter if it with current customers, buying a prospect a cup of coffee or actually scheduling a meeting with someone who can make a purchasing decision.

There are limited career advancement opportunities. As the company is looking to hire inside sellers to sell arrays where our competition has field presence, the only ones succeeding in that role are the ones who are located in or very near their territory where they can visit their prospects, thus showing that inside selling role isn't going to work.

Have I mentioned how bad the inside leadership is? Direct managers were promoted from SDR positions and have a cult-like mentality in terms of keeping any "outsiders" from succeeding. The politics here are worse than anyone could imagine which goes against the very fabric of the company itself. And the senior leadership team from Meraki where the average deal size was 5K thinks everyone should be at 150% of goal and constantly move the needle to squeeze every bit out of everyone before they spit you out once your territory that they continually reduce in size from over hiring and reallocation is dried up.

There's a tremendous amount of infighting and posturing between management as some look to get others fired. The office feels more like a prison than the fun place it once was to work.

There is no one account "owner" but you have accountability for all the accounts in your defined patch. So while you're calling into company XYZ so are 2-3 others creating a large amount of "noise" and confusion on the prospects part. It isn't enough that our aggressive goals have us hounding each prospect, so are 2-3 other people, some prospects are probably receiving as many as 10 calls a day and 10 emails a week just from Pure Storage!!

Advice to Management

Re-align the SDRs and ISRs to their field DMs for better alignment. Do what you will with the current ISO leadership but for a company looking to experience hyper-growth and manage costs, they seem like a large expense and management overlay.