Pure Storage Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Pure Storage CEO Scott Dietzen
Scott Dietzen

Pros
Cons
  • Rapid growth has it's growing pains (in 10 reviews)

• This attitude cuts into a healthy work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best career choice I have ever made"

Current Employee - Marketing in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing culture working committed to staying authentic to who and what they are even hyper growth building $1b in business!
    - Leadership team that is transparent, lacks ego and accessible.
    - Smartest coworkers I have ever worked with. They make me raise my game every day.
    - Fantastic product that customers and partners truly love (they sell it for us).
    - Building a culture of diversity and inclusion

Cons

- Like all of tech, not enough diversity
    - You must work at keeping your work life balance (but a work from home culture gives you ability)
    - Standard growing pains as the companies blows through sales milestones

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing in terms of transparency and communication. It is so impressive to see leaders open to feedback and input and who then really make changes. I have never worked at a company where I can be whole self and bring that person to work every day. I feel valued, heard and respected. As a hyper growth company, we have almost unlimited career opportunities at Pure. The new head of HR is sure to build the programs and tools to allow even more Puritans to develop and grow. I believe in this company 100%. Having worked at pretty much every start up and enterprise company in the valley, lol, this is by far the most rewarding and fun.

"Fine place to work"

Current Employee - MTS3 in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - MTS3 in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Open communication with executives on product direction.
    + Smart peers.
    + Permissive environment (see Cons also)
    + Decent compensation package, though not outstanding.
    + Charitable Foundation (Pure Good).
    + While the company stock is down, the financials appear stable and solid. No concern about going out of business.
    + The company continues to look toward what's next. Years ago it was FlashBlade and now that its been released, questions about what's next are on the table.

Cons

- Sadly for Pure (and other recent tech IPOs) the current stock market environment is not rewarding growth without profit. While on its way to profitability, it's a ways off, with no guarantees. Potential employees should consider the risk/reward and also understand stock market behavior is outside of anyone's control.
    - There are several cons to the permissive, 'work how you're productive' culture. One is the pervasive swearing. I find it more annoying than offensive and certainly unprofessional. I'm personally glad the nerf gun wars are just about gone. The drinking at work thing, done in moderation and at the end of the work day I'm ok with. I've never seen anyone get blasted on-site. Maybe some day...?
    - While the company has a culture to find and develop the next thing, most of the engineers will continue to work on the "boring" current product lines. I think that the "feature development" on FlashBlade will be porting or recreating existing features (snap shots, (a)sync replication. It would be misleading to call CIFS development for FlashBlade innovative.

Advice to Management

= As a whole, I approve of what you're doing and how you're doing it. Your messages are often positive and inclusive.
    = A different review called you out as left leaning. I would agree and I don't have a problem with that. I don't recall a political statement being made, but if one was sent perhaps you need to review you're policy on that type of thing.
    = Get rid of the bottled water. It's environmentally unfriendly.

"Senior software engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Pure Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good choices of liquors and snacks

Cons

Frequently fired engineers, they fired hard working people they didn't want/need any more with 5 minute notices
    Poor compensation package, especially the bonus and RSU part
    Rampant sexism and racism
    Inexperienced managers
    Elite culture, if you are not considered an elite, you are mostly irrelevant
    Noisy and chaotic office with darts flying around at the pleasure of "elites"

5. "Best career move I have made"

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation, benefits, RSU's, and many more! The company cares about the employees and gives back in numerous ways. They care about career growth, and provide opportunities.

Cons

Company is growing extensively. Pure is experiencing growing pains, which is normal.

6. "Rapid growth company, great people, exciting work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture at Pure is leagues more compelling and inclusive than any company I've worked for in the past. I truly feel like I'm a part of something big and important. I feel connected to the impact our company makes on our customers, and proud to be a part of such a disruptive and innovative team. Pure has grown in numbers vastly in the last several years, and the company has prioritized keeping the culture intact. I like seeing that commitment from the top down. That creates a feeling of security; as we continue to grow, I feel that I still have a place in the company and the reasons why I joined (do work that makes an impact, employ a bias for action without bureaucracy, collaborate with super intelligent people so I continue to learn, and to grow my career) became reasons why I stay.

Cons

Rapid growth has it's growing pains. Nothing unusual from my experience.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay committed to listening to employees and providing them room to grow.

"Not a professional work environment"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Arcade games
    Free alcohol and lunches
    Hover boards around -- once in a while you will hear someone falling though...
    Nerf Blasters (will make you crazy if you don't like being hit by a dart)
    Very smart people (and smartass jerks too) around you

Cons

1. Tightly packed open tables(desks!). People and Noise around you all the time
    2. Worst executive management. You rarely see the executive management talking directly to employees.
    3. You will see the worst agile methodology possible! The way stand ups are run is a big joke!
    4. Super Star and Ranking clulture... You may love it if you are lucky to be considered a super star
    5. Very inexperienced direct management.
    6. No encouragement for career advancement into management. Mostly look for managers from outside
    7. The employee grading is a big joke. Many smart RCG kids will be in the same grade as senior folks with 10+ years of experience.
    8. Unlimited vacation (has to be aproved!). A clever way to take out of employee's right for vacation.
    8. Firing is brutal (You will receive an email that yesterday was last day for X and contact me if you were working with him and need anything). You will have a constant pressure about your job...

Advice to Management

Listen to employees

"For a company that brags "leave your ego at the door"... its all ego"

I worked at Pure Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible benefits Great product and business model.

Cons

Old boys club where if you aren't in, you're out and will struggle to get resources or help. Lots of egos that have little to no basis in reality. Decisions seem to be made via dull darts thrown at a cement dart board.

9. "Awesome"

I have been working at Pure Storage full-time

Pros

Great work atmosphere, winning culture.

Cons

Lots to do to continue to grow company.

"Careful with the hype train."

I worked at Pure Storage full-time

Pros

Good perks.. food, snacks, infrastructure, trips and all that makes a nice office space.

Cons

The product is great, but the company is not a startup anymore. Things go at a much slower pace than the company needs, because management is either afraid of making mistakes or have no clue of what they're doing. It's as dynamic as an old storage company can be. So if you're looking for this startup experience, forget it.. too late.

Culture is built on people and all the people they hire are ex EMC, Dell or Netapp... hence, you have a small young company with an old mentality, full of ivory towers and ego. It's simply not enjoyable if you like being someone that goes a step further.

Talk with someone that's actually working there before joining, to see if you can fit the "culture". Ask about their metrics, processes, management styles and so on. Ask them how they plan their growth, see it makes sense. Ask for more clarification about the position you're applying for. Make as many questions as you can, and "trust", but verify. This is not your typical support gig.

Advice to Management

Do something. Take some responsibility and actually improve things.. it's a startup with a great product, be dynamic and understand that. You guys need experts, not a multi-tiered call center.

Maybe this works well in US, but to keep good people outside of the HQ, in cities with hundreds of better companies, you will need to do more than nice offices and hype. People don't leave their jobs, they leave their managers.

11. "Operations"

I worked at Pure Storage full-time

Pros

Great company to work for.....unbelievable emphasis on culture and people

Cons

stock is not doing very well

Advice to Management

need to focus on stock price else the company is amazing!!!!