Purohit Navigation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ahnal Purohit

"Great Opportunity For Employees and Clients"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Zurich, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Zurich, IL

I worked at Purohit Navigation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Too often Glassdoor is used as a sounding board for frustrated former employee's to give negative reviews. Purohit Navigation is a great agency to work for. You have to accept that agency life is not always a 9-5 type of job, there will be late nights and early mornings AT ANY highly creative and busy agency.
    The senior staff (all levels) at Purohit provide great leadership and a great working environment. Do not mistake criticism for their passion to provide excellent service to their clients. They, like everyone should, care very much about the work they provide to their clients. From account service to the final creative product it is evident from working there that they want only the best for their employees and their clients.
    If you are looking to work at an agency that provides great benefits, a great working environment and very talented people to work alongside of I recommend Purohit. If you are a company looking to work with Purohit know that you are going to get best in class service and some of the best creative around.

Cons

As I mentioned above, (any) agency life can be stressful. Listen to your employees and continue to help them with their work/life balance if they are struggling. Give them the tools and opportunity to grow in their respective position and within the agency.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to what your employees want and motivate them accordingly. Keep growing and exploring new opportunities and technology to provide fresh ideas and incredible creative to your existing and prospective clients.

Jun 13, 2016 – Owner

Thank you for this post, and for the overall feedback. It is hard to know that there are people -- past and present -- who see our passion as a negative thing. You are right, we want to do what's ... More

"1 star because I can't give Zero."

Former Employee - Associate Art Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate Art Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Purohit Navigation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People say the view from the 47th floor. Hmm, I suppose. But then how would Niagara Falls look if you were in the barrel being tossed about with the potential for drowning possible? Other than that I guess I could say, “my paycheck never bounced”, but one has the sneaking suspicion that you get paid at Purohit Navigation because it is a law that employers do so in America. Lord knows the Purohit’s believe that a large number of their workforce doesn’t deserve base level compensation.

Cons

While I’d need a novel length tome to fully catalog the entirety of the abuse Purohit Navigation unleashes on its employees, I’ll start with a rather symbolic point: all the positive reviews on here are the result of upper management employee coercion. I’ve seen it in practice, it’s a fact. Anyone should see the highly unethical practice that a company clearly has something to hide that it goes about muddying the waters on a site designed to provide employees and prospective employees an honest service. It’s gross, and a bald-faced lie, but sadly, exactly in line with the ideological actions of Purohit Navigation. A place where the only ‘happy’ employees are over-payed ones who couldn’t hope to make elsewhere even 75% of the ransom they’re given to stay there. Thus, a culture is created where a ‘core team’ (what a rotten one it is) insulates the Purohits* from being anything resembling decent, respectful employers to their underlings. These core members then do the deeds of their masters desires; making employees work late, within unrealistic expectations, via a bullying atmosphere of degrading, insulting tactics. You needn’t type anything else—you can freely read any of the dozens of truthful negative reviews here if you want more—but say this simple truth that I tell anyone when asked about my experience there: it’s the worst job I’ve ever had (and I hope to ever have), run by the most mean-spirited people I’ve ever shared employment with, and one that I wouldn’t even want to burden my worst enemy with. It’s that bad, but just ask yourself: if a place will lie and manipulate reviews here, (a) what do they have to hide, and (b) why would you want to associate with such liars? Even if you drastically need employment, do. not. take. this. job.

(*Ahnal Purohit, the companies CEO, has in understanding of the advertising world of the 1980s—if that—, and her daughter, COO Anshal, wouldn’t have the position she does in any other place save one where her mother calls the shots [her lack of experience anywhere else—in an industry where employees regular move about every 2-3 years—speaks volumes]. It’s a small piece of irony then that they run Purohit under the assumption that they know more than anyone else, when, in fact, basic understand of, say, the digital workspace alludes their narrowest of understanding).

Advice to Management

Call it a day and close up shop. Seriously. That’s about all one can muster, other than “why don’t you go on a few interviews to see how woefully out of touch you are”, but why would I want the virus to spread to other offices in my line of work?

Apr 21, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

We appreciate your feedback. However, your viewpoint is very narrow-minded and not quite accurate. The negative reviews written here reflect a very small percentage of the employees who have worked ... More

"I was used and abused"

Former Employee - Official Coordinator in Chicago, WI
    Former Employee - Official Coordinator in Chicago, WI

I worked at Purohit Navigation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff all under water...But Staffers Swim when they Great Swimmers!! DONT DROWN

Cons

ALL STAFF WAY TOO OVERWORKED WORKED AND THEY LUCKY TO GET PAID!

Advice to Management

Pay for what you want!!

Apr 13, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We really do appreciate the work and effort that you gave for the 2+ years you were here. Your comment about being overworked is curious, as your position rarely ... More

"Dante's 11th Circle of Micromanaging Hell: "Abandon All Autonomy, Ye Who Enter Here""

Former Employee - Copywriter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Purohit Navigation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dedicated and friendly fellow Creatives (especially Art Directors)

Cons

I have never worked at any organization where the CEO insists on controlling, from conception to execution, EVERY piece of marketing collateral produced, whether for an external audience or internal (among the latter, examples include produced-in-house group birthday cards). Even something as seemingly simple as crafting an annual digital holiday greeting card for clients and the CEO's own family members is a cardiac arrest-inducing, protracted nightmare. She rules by bullying and encourages her managers to adopt her mistrustful Machiavellian worldview. It would be laughable if it didn't have such severe consequences for group morale, productivity, and the physical and psychological well-being of individual employees (myself included as the frequent recipient of overt bullying and harassment).

Be prepared to lose any sense of autonomy, and ultimately, dignity. While it's expected to have occasional hours of overtime to meet client deadlines, the CEO actually authorized in July 2016 a 24/7 work week where AEs and Creatives have to be on-call all the time. "The idea of a 9-5 work day is officially obsolete," she announced. And when she is displeased with your performance, you will be literally shrieked at, in person or on the phone, any time of day or night, regardless of whether you are alone or amidst your coworkers or even clients.

To add insult to injury, I am being deprived of compensation for unused vacation, sick, and personal days, a matter which I am going to investigate with legal counsel.

Advice to Management

Procure copies of Gary Namie's book, "The Bully-Free Workplace." Study what egregious missteps you have made in exploiting and mistreating your employees and change your ways before you completely become a nonviable business.

Feb 6, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

We appreciate your feedback. We only wish that you would have provided this feedback while you were with the company so we could have seriously considered your perspective and addressed accordingly ... More

"Prospective Employees: Please beware of fake/planted reviews"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

I learned quite a bit about perseverance, anger management, maintaining my own decorum, nepotism, narcissism and how not to treat employees.

Also, as others have stated, the views from the "break" room are absolutely spectacular.

Cons

I've hesitated to write this review for almost a year since I voluntarily ended my employment at PNAV. I do not like rehashing painful subjects, nor do I like "trashing" former employers, however, I've noticed an alarming trend here on Glassdoor of what are clearly fake/planted reviews, and I'm no longer going to sit idly by and let the star level be raised by these lies.

Never in my working career have I seen such a culture of havoc within a workplace.

Ms. Purohit does a spectacular job of micromanagement, there is no possible way to maintain effective processes in any level of this business, from client-facing AEs to Copywriters to Event Coordinators. No one is trusted to do their job and do it well, and this leads to levels of inefficiency that wouldn't be tolerated in any business sector.

The lies that circulate the office outward to clients are rampant, going so far as to create "fake" nameplates to support the illusion of a larger workforce during important client visits to the 111 South Wacker Office. Having to uphold lies such as these makes one angry and disillusioned.

During Ms. Purohit's many "teaching moments," her true narcissism rears its head as she bestows her many years of now-outdated marketing wisdom on you. It's okay, though, because she'll change her mind several other times and likely return to your initial proposal when the clients choose so. There are too many other examples of her narcissism to begin to share. Keep reading the reviews. The mentions of it are not exaggerating in the slightest.

You'll be asked to work not just a lot of hours, but excessive hours--even for a marketing agency. Overnights. Weekends--calls Saturday evenings/Sunday mornings (I hope you don't ever indulge in adult beverages on the weekends, because it's difficult to work if you get that call and you've been imbibing--and you can't ignore because she'll just keep calling). There is no--absolutely zero--work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Please stop denying the core problems here, listen and take to heart what your (mostly) former employees are saying on here. Some people may be angry, but that's because in the time they spent working at PNAV, they were very hurt by the emotionally abusive environment. This doesn't change the truthfulness and sincerity of their words.

"Proceed with caution"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Location... The location of the office is great! Convenient from many bus and metra lines. That's the extent of the pros list. Oo the view is great too

Cons

One of my first jobs out of college and perhaps the worst work experience I've ever had. The account team is not run or managed well. How you are treated or spoken to as an employee is rude and disrespectful. Your time or work are not valued. Favoritism is absolutely played with non-management level employees. Epitome of long hours, even for marketing. Little to no training upon arrival.

Example: I was contacted by the CEO to perform internal administrative duties at 7pm on a Saturday evening. To be completed that evening prior to her dinner party! This was not work for our clients - I was hired as a client facing AC.

Advice to Management

I wanted to work at Purohit Navigation because it is hard to find a company started and run by a female of color! I was excited about the opportunity to learn from her and grow within a company that looked to have so much potential, but that excitement soon came crashing down.

Take the time to train your new hires on the in-n-outs of client business and internal process/protocol.

Respect goes a long way! Be respectful of your employees who are putting in long hours and they will likely continue to work hard.

Don't waste creative talent on a child's birthday party decorations.

Aug 2, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you had such a negative experience at Purohit Navigation. It appears it’s been a few years since you have worked here. We’ve made changes in the past ... More

"Great Place To Work Hard and Get Recognized"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Purohit Navigation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think this company needs a very specific type of person and if you are the type of person described below….you will thrive at Purohit. I personally worked there over the past two years, which were two of the most challenging yet rewarding years I have had in my professional career. When it comes to the people that will thrive here this is my opinion of what works there (on Accounts). They are not looking for the person that knows everything from the get-go but rather someone that will put in the energy to learn the brands and clients, someone that will put in time to get things out to the client, and someone who has the business sense and intellectual capacity to retain information and apply those learnings into future projects. If you have this winning combination along with a positive attitude you will be respected, rewarded and promoted within the company, often at a much quicker pace that seen in the industry.

In addition, I think the resources and the salaries that they provide to try and make the people that meet the above criteria happy, is something to admire. I left Purohit due to not being the right personality fit for a remote position that Purohit accommodated for me due to a change in my personal life (I am too talkative to sit at home alone all day). If the accounts team was adequately staffed, with a more solid work-life balance (and I was back in Chicago), I would have probably never left. I truly enjoyed the people in accounts that also fit the above criteria, it is an incredible work experience to work with like-minded type A people who put as much passion and pride in their work that you do.

Overall, if you are a positive, hard-working, type-A person that wants a job that you will put in a few years at and be able to move up in quickly, I would encourage this position. From there you may find you love it and stay for longer (which many within the company have done) or that it is not a place for you (in which then you gained some great experience).

Cons

People are not lying when they say that you will work to the bone when you work here, but I really think that if they found a collective group of people with the below traits, that wouldn’t happen. The accounts team has been understaffed since prior to me starting, but the openings are there, it really is a matter of finding the right fits that don’t turn away after a week or two.

Another frustration comes, when you are trying to work with people throughout the company that don’t share that same pride and ownership for their work.

Advice to Management

Continue to reward and grow people that have that winning attitude and find more of these people for the accounts team. Also great strides have been made to balance work-life with the creative team. Try and find a way to role this out to the accounts team before they burn out!

"A Leopard Doesn't Change It's Spots -- But Only YOU Can!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Purohit Navigation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Building was very nice. It was nice to go to the lobby and enjoy the amenities because the office space itself was depressing and the furniture was tacky. Not much to say. Some of the people were nice to work with. The lower management only.

Cons

The turnover was high. The only plus was Mr. Donohoe. What a joy to work with him and learn.

The clients were very nice but the owner of the company will never let you work freely with a client. The owner has to CONTROL every aspect of your job.

There was always food in the kitchen.

Never felt at ease when I took my vacation because you had to pay for it upon your return. You would be bombarded with emails constantly and texts. There is no work life balance even though they say they are working on it. I see a lot of job openings, you will get burned out very quickly at this company.

I moved on to work at a company that I can share my own ideas and my boss welcomes this feedback and even gives me credit for it instead of holding me down as I felt working at Purohit. I even asked the owner if I can join and organization and I was always turned down. The owner's comment was, let's wait and see, well it never came to be....and that told me a lot.

Not many raises were given and if you did get a raise it was very little.

Micromanagement of my day was exhausting. I see many reviews here and the same theme runs true. So I know it wasn't just me.

The production department wasn't fully staffed and I have not seen so many errors in this area. And the filing system was such a ball of confusion.

Doing your timesheets was a chore in itself.

I am not disgruntled at all and some of the reviews say that only disgruntled employees are writing negative reviews; but I only realized my potential and it was not at this company. You will not grow at this company because they hold you back in so many ways. Your personal life will become nonexistent!

Upper management does not communicate well. There is a member of upper management who constantly is involved in every aspect of your job. Let the staff who has experience in this area do their job freely and if they constantly make mistakes or need extra training, that is when you should micromanage them. Not if they are capable and have a lot of experience behind them.

The owner of the company IMHO is a control freak and a narcissist to the highest level. As I said, a leopard doesn't change it's spots and the owner will never change either. But only you can decide if this is a culture you want to work in. The mission statement does not match what actually takes place.

Advice to Management

The only advice I can give is for the upper management to turn over or merge with a highly capable company that knows how to run like a real corporation; not a vanity agency. I did try to speak with a manager and nothing was ever done to turn anything around for the better.

"Toxic"

Former Employee - Creative in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Creative in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Purohit Navigation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The location for Purohit is good and some of the people are great. Not too much else to say sadly.

Cons

This company can only keep employees for a long period of time who are weak, fearful and trapped. They know they can take advantage of the ones with no backbone and they do a good job of it. Absolutely zero work/life balance. They beat their employees to the ground with mismanagement and micromanagement. The strong ones leave, the secure ones learn quickly that staying is toxic. Don't put yourself through the process of interviewing if you want to be respected for the work you do and a life outside of the office.

Advice to Management

Stop creating an atmosphere that kills the spirit of everyone working there.

"A Land of Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Purohit Navigation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Purohit Navigation has an open door policy to "move up the ladder" in an employee's career path. Being a small to mid size agency has its advantages where an employee can take ownership of their job, learn and grow. I have been with the company for 25 years and have definitely known this to be true. Through my tenure, I have watched a receptionist transition to a supervisor role in the account group. I have seen someone speak up wanting to be part of the creative group and move from an account coordinator to an art director. The list goes on and on.

The CEO has personally been my mentor and has taught me that hard work does pay off. I listen carefully and take note to do the best of my ability. Because of the opportunities to have a voice, to learn, to grow and be part of such a creative and talented group, I find myself now celebrating 25 years with the company. Although the agency environment can be stressful at times, I find myself very fortunate to wake up every day and go to a job that I truly love.

Cons

I cannot really think of any cons at Purohit Navigation. If you a a person who wants to grow and likes the excitement of a fast paced environment, I would recommend working for this company.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the employees so they environment and processes put in place will benefit everyone