Purple Land Management "little to no" Reviews | Glassdoor

Purple Land Management Employee Reviews about "little to no"

Updated Aug 23, 2016

2.7
Purple Land Management Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer Bryan Cortney (no image)
Bryan Cortney
Pros
  • "This gets your foot in the door of the oil and gas industry(in 10 reviews)

• "Little to no experience required, with a great training program offered(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "They expect landmen to train other(in 16 reviews)

• "There is no training and the pay is very low(in 14 reviews)

Reviews about "little to no"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Hard Work and Dedication."

Current Employee - Landman in Saint Clairsville, OH

I have been working at Purple Land Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Enjoy working with everyone, Contractors and Employees. Great atmosphere to work in. Dedicated and hard working team. Everyone helps each other to learn and improve their skills. Opportunities are there should you seek them. Growth oriented and adaptive to the ever changing industry. Job stability is something you do not see much of in the industry, but PLM offers this. Hires locally to the area in which projects are located. Little to no experience required, with a great training program offered. Encouraged to learn about the industry and attend AAPL events and other continuing education events.

Cons

Young company that has seen growth and expansion of the past 2 years. Sometimes it is not as easy to get in touch with upper management, but they will reach out to speak on the phone with you from time to time.

Purple Land Management2014-01-02

"Deceitful Operation"

Former Employee - Landman

I worked at Purple Land Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Purple offers an opportunity to get into the industry that a lot of brokers will not. With little to no experience, you are typically still considered for open positions, where you would be discarded at most other brokers. In a struggling market, the current lower level employees and contractors seem to be willing to do more (while making less) to succeed.

Cons

After a few weeks of work, you get a chance to pull the curtain back a little and see what's really going on. For starters, their business model seems to be structured so as to hire new people, only so they can pay them pennies on the dollar and make a larger margin. Now, this sounds like a smart plan, however, all it does is create immense stress on the lower level management to continue to produce high-level numbers with low-level performers. Now you may think that a company that's going to hire a shockingly high rate of no-experience landmen would have a strong training structure in place. This is simply not the case. The training was thrown completely on the lower level management, with no relief on the managers typical day-to-day roles and performance standards. This created an environment where managers weren't willing to sacrifice their own performance, and therefore very little training was done. The phrase "you'll sort of be thrown to the fire, so ask questions as you have them" was thrown around at an alarming rate. The pay rate was a joke in its own. The "company wide" $6,000 pay cut was strongly rumored to have somehow passed over a group of people. In the office meeting announcing the cut, we were told that it was necessary to survive, and without it the company would be losing money in the next few months. As a blindfolded worker, we had no choice but to believe it as we saw the price of oil and gas tank. However, not more than a few months later, an article was released claiming that 2015 saw a 25% increase in revenue over the 2014 totals. All this was happening while a 3-story building was being purchased in downtown Fort Worth for the corporate office. We were assured that the building was "paid for by 2014." Maybe we believed it, maybe not. Regardless, we later found out through a separate article that the renovation of the building was funded through an $8mil loan. The morale has seen a sharp decline in the past 18 months or so. It's hard to say what started it, but a company that was once seen as a great, fun, youthful place to work, has tailspinned into a place where you dread waking up to go to daily.

Purple Land Management2016-08-23

"Company serves the limited purpose of getting your foot in the door in the Energy industry."

Former Employee - Landman in Denver, CO

I worked at Purple Land Management full-time

Pros

I enjoyed my coworkers, and to be honest, Purple Land Management is one of the few companies out there that will hire someone as a Landman who has little to no experience in that field.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. Pay is below industry standard. Management in the Denver office was very poor, sending out threatening emails rather than encouraging and/or rewarding excellent performance. Purple doesn't treat their independent contractor as such, basically requiring them to work from the office, though they would claim otherwise.

Purple Land Management2014-11-26

"An Awful Place to Work"

I worked at Purple Land Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

-They will hire almost anyone. -Work is relatively easy, and getting fired is close to impossible. - As a contractor, you have some freedom (ability to work remotely, no one to constantly check up on you, and gone are the days of requiring contractors to be in by 8 and not leave before 5) -Pay is decent for little-to-no experience. -Ability to network and move into better-paying, less ridiculous workplace.

Cons

I encountered several major problems at this company. First, I was strung along by upper management with the promise of my own projects, which they did not want to fairly compensate me to handle (who wouldn't want twice the responsibility for the same amount of money?). After being promised the world and given a snowglobe instead, I saw into how the company was really run: a good old boys' club from TCU, where the horned frogs reign supreme (hence why the company is called purple). People who were just starting at Purple with no experience, or put into management with no management experience, came in at ridiculous pay levels if they had graduated from TCU versus those from other places. They also advanced faster, and were more likely to have direct client contact even if they had never run title and didn't fully understand what the clients needed. This leads to a business model wherein the client is constantly having you redo things (for a period of time, template changes ruled my life, and it seemed there was a new one every two weeks). They also have so many inexperienced people in management and running title that projects are often ignored until they absolutely must be turned into the client in a week or two, making everything a priority. There were actually priority lists within priority lists, which defeats every ounce of wisdom that exists in making a priority list. Add to this several hotheads in upper management who would bully the employees and contractors, unabashedly violate state and local laws concerning contractors supervising other contractors, dress codes, and requiring people to come into the office to work, and you have a recipe for disaster. If their work wasn't so cheap, they would have been out of business long ago.

Purple Land Management2014-10-23
  5. "Independent Contractor"

Current Contractor - Landman in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Purple Land Management for less than a year

Pros

Hiring with little to no experience.

Cons

Not much interaction or instruction by supervisors.

Purple Land Management2014-07-03

"Solid Company for Gaining Short Term-Experience But Don't Stay Long"

Former Employee - Landman in Canton, OH

I worked at Purple Land Management full-time

Pros

Co-workers: I legitimately enjoyed the people I worked with on a day to day basis. They're good people. Hiring: It was very easy to get a job. Little to no experience necessary. Training: This company serves as a solid way to get experience in a growing industry.

Cons

Retention/Turn Over: The company makes no effort to retain employees or independent contractors. Raises are like rainbows: illusions only children believe in. Management: Swagger gets promoted at this company, not substance. As a result upper management is full of long talkers that like to take up a lot of time making opaque, non-specific promises on advancement and stability. Don't believe the talk. If you do believe the talk, I have some snake oil to sell you. Quality of Work: Because there's no retention program all the quality workers jump ship within a year. As such, all projects are rush projects being largely performed by workers with inadequate training. It can be a mess. Travel: This company does work cheap, largely by hamstringing the workers on travel expenses. Never expect a decent food per diem when you go out of town.

Purple Land Management2014-06-30

"Co-Workers are great, Management is a disaster, employee retention is even worse"

Current Contractor - Landman in Canton, OH

I have been working at Purple Land Management for more than a year

Pros

The People you work with are easy going and fun to be around. They will hire literally anyone, with little to no experience in the industry and they seem to have a lot of work to be done so there is little chance of being laid off. Very Flexible Schedule.

Cons

The Leadership is awful. The owners and upper management are inconsiderate and actually have a policy of "never raising contractor's day rates" This is from the lips of upper management. The company constantly loses its best and most experienced workers to other companies that pay much higher day rates and provide better benefits. Regional Management refuses to even try to counter offer when people say they are leaving for more pay because they do not have permission to raise day rates. When I started, I was told that raises could be expected within the first year and that after about that amount of time, you could expect to be made an employee rather than a contractor. I worked there for almost two years with no employment offer or raise, yet I was constantly handed additional tasks such as training new hires, correcting their work and managing distribution of work. I frequently worked well beyond the required hours to complete rush and priority jobs and volunteered for out of town projects nobody else wanted to do, yet never even got so much as a thank you. This company is currently staffed almost exclusively with people who have been in the industry less than 6 months. Some of whom are so bad at the job that management would love to fire them, but they can't keep people working there long enough to afford to get rid of anyone. Purple has bitten off way more than it can chew. It has too much work going through its Canton office and is incapable of handling the load so they put it all on the few competent individuals still working there, ultimately driving them to quit when they are not rewarded for their hard work.

Purple Land Management2014-04-30

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 7 reviews