Putnam City School District I-001, Oklahoma County Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jennifer Strong

1. "High School Day Manager, Custodial."

Former Employee - High School Day Manager, Custodial in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - High School Day Manager, Custodial in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Putnam City School District I-001, Oklahoma County (Less than a year)

Pros

Full time job that will always be there. Full benefits and year round employment. It pays a few dollars an hour more than minimum wage.

Cons

If you live in Oklahoma, then you know that jobs that pay more than the national minimum wage is difficult to find.

Advice to Management

Better income brings in better quality employees, ones that will stay when the work gets hard.

2. "So much potential but falls short."

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Putnam City School District I-001, Oklahoma County full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Promotes instructional best practices, one of the better paid districts in the state, the teaching faculty is wonderful and dedicated, long dedicated plan time, promotes collaboration.

Cons

Challenging student behavior is by far the worst. Without a doubt the most awful thing about this district. I have taught numerous places and never had the behavior management issues that I have had in this district. There is little to no opportunity for advancement or extra stipends unless you are one of the select few favorites. Teachers already have such little opportunity, but there is obvious favoritism toward buddies and not the most qualified person. There is a push toward using tech in the classroom but not enough devices for students to have their own and classes have to share sets. This district also is heavy into data tracking, which isn't inherently bad, but the data is often used as a stick and not a carrot. Regular humiliation regarding the data with upper admin and an outside consultant are common which is completely demoralizing.

Advice to Management

Support teachers and classroom management better, take on some of the discipline issues. Hire the best people. Don't make expectations that cant be met because of lack of resources. Be mindful how you approach student learning issues, teachers are professionals.

3. "Teacher"

Pros

Large school district with technology opportunities.

Cons

Lack of administrative support for teachers

5. "Teacher"

Former Employee - Science Teacher in Yukon, OK
    Former Employee - Science Teacher in Yukon, OK

I worked at Putnam City School District I-001, Oklahoma County (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with the kids and the staff

Cons

Poor support and a failing educational system. They pay was low, but higher than the average in OK

6. "Sorry but it IS about the money."

Former Employee - IT Sys Administrative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - IT Sys Administrative in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Putnam City School District I-001, Oklahoma County full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you get a good supervisor, one who cares about your growth in the IT field, the experience can be real rewarding (of the 6yrs I was there, I had one for 2.5 years). You are supporting education, and for k-8, it can be real rewarding. (9-12 not so much) generous amounts of leave time, nice 403b match.

Cons

Putnam City, for all the prestige and shine they put on the district, is horribly, horribly CHEAP!! Expect furloughs (weeks without pay when they are budget tight) they don't often honor cost of living increases (which are federally mandated btw), and you can go years without a wage increase in sight.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and use some of those huge title grants to pay people! Turn over rate is YEARLY and it shouldn't be this way. It's also why you can't get good people in the door.

7. "Site Manager"

Current Employee - Site Supervisor in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Site Supervisor in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Putnam City School District I-001, Oklahoma County full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits and Vacation packages. M-F shifts. Paid holidays

Cons

Don't have competitive salary. and low base salary. Physical work for low gain.

Advice to Management

Management is understanding but some decisions need to be reviewed before putting into action.

8. "As with any school district there are problems but there are also A LOT of hardworking people who care about education."

Current Employee - Special ED TA in Warr Acres, OK
    Current Employee - Special ED TA in Warr Acres, OK

Pros

Teaching children not only curriculum but being a role model, the teachers who go above and beyond, the overworked secretaries that will help you with anything even though it is not in their job description, all of the new implementations of special education classes and needs. One of the most rewarding (not by money) jobs you will find.

Cons

The teachers who don't care and bring others down. Discipline is lacking. The politics are infuriating (make sure you know someone who knows someone and make sure they are someone of authority).

9. "School Psychologist"

Current Employee - School Psychologist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - School Psychologist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Putnam City School District I-001, Oklahoma County (More than a year)

Pros

We have offices in special services building. This gives us easy access to the special services office staff.

Cons

Having offices not at school sites means we have travel time between buildings. It's harder to build relationships with school staff.

Advice to Management

Support more opportunities for professional development. Increase special services staff to recommended levels.

10. "Totally out of place, not very welcoming from many"

Pros

If you love kids, they are what keeps you coming. Leaving them was the hardest part

Cons

I felt outta place, it felt like the upper authority dislikes the opposite race as well as how different children were treated and disciplined

Advice to Management

Upper management has their nose to high

11. "Good School system to substitute in."

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Putnam City School District I-001, Oklahoma County part-time (More than a year)

Pros

supportive of teachers and students, good school environment

Cons

no major issues at this place.