Putnam City School District I-001, Oklahoma County Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Jennifer Strong

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Amazing people to work for"

Former Employee - High School Math Teacher in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - High School Math Teacher in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Putnam City School District I-001, Oklahoma County full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff made me feel like family. They are great people who care about their school. They have a full time instructional coach and work is delegated by Professional Learning Communities.

Cons

They are working on it, but dealing with attendance issues needed work.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to make improvements every year.

2. "Great school district"

I have been working at Putnam City School District I-001, Oklahoma County full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great administration and amazing coworkers. Nice updated buildings.

Cons

Large district with growing enrollment which means larger classes.

3. "Challenging and rewarding"

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Putnam City School District I-001, Oklahoma County part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can really bond with the students

Cons

A lot of behavioral problems, as a substitute you really don't get the respect you deserve. The students are fine with you as long as you don't discipline them. Can be stressful.

Advice to Management

Do more training for substitute teachers

4. "Substitute teacher"

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Warr Acres, OK
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Warr Acres, OK

I worked at Putnam City School District I-001, Oklahoma County part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The teachers are excellent the students are great and all supervisory staff excellent .

Cons

Perhaps for some of the other substitute teachers a quick factual class on what is expected from a substitute teacher during the time of a teacher's absence.

Advice to Management

Tammy Delozier, my supervisor as well as Twyla Rowe made my job and my last several years excellent.

5. "teacher"

Pros

high pay for Oklahoma, good coworkers

Cons

micromanagement, lack of discipline and student accountability

Advice to Management

Crack down on student behavior

6. "So much potential but falls short."

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Putnam City School District I-001, Oklahoma County full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Promotes instructional best practices, one of the better paid districts in the state, the teaching faculty is wonderful and dedicated, long dedicated plan time, promotes collaboration.

Cons

Challenging student behavior is by far the worst. Without a doubt the most awful thing about this district. I have taught numerous places and never had the behavior management issues that I have had in this district. There is little to no opportunity for advancement or extra stipends unless you are one of the select few favorites. Teachers already have such little opportunity, but there is obvious favoritism toward buddies and not the most qualified person. There is a push toward using tech in the classroom but not enough devices for students to have their own and classes have to share sets. This district also is heavy into data tracking, which isn't inherently bad, but the data is often used as a stick and not a carrot. Regular humiliation regarding the data with upper admin and an outside consultant are common which is completely demoralizing.

Advice to Management

Support teachers and classroom management better, take on some of the discipline issues. Hire the best people. Don't make expectations that cant be met because of lack of resources. Be mindful how you approach student learning issues, teachers are professionals.

7. "High School Day Manager, Custodial."

Former Employee - High School Day Manager, Custodial in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - High School Day Manager, Custodial in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Putnam City School District I-001, Oklahoma County (Less than a year)

Pros

Full time job that will always be there. Full benefits and year round employment. It pays a few dollars an hour more than minimum wage.

Cons

If you live in Oklahoma, then you know that jobs that pay more than the national minimum wage is difficult to find.

Advice to Management

Better income brings in better quality employees, ones that will stay when the work gets hard.

8. "Teacher"

Pros

Large school district with technology opportunities.

Cons

Lack of administrative support for teachers

9. "Teacher"

Former Employee - Science Teacher in Yukon, OK
    Former Employee - Science Teacher in Yukon, OK

I worked at Putnam City School District I-001, Oklahoma County (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with the kids and the staff

Cons

Poor support and a failing educational system. They pay was low, but higher than the average in OK

10. "Sorry but it IS about the money."

Former Employee - IT Sys Administrative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - IT Sys Administrative in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Putnam City School District I-001, Oklahoma County full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you get a good supervisor, one who cares about your growth in the IT field, the experience can be real rewarding (of the 6yrs I was there, I had one for 2.5 years). You are supporting education, and for k-8, it can be real rewarding. (9-12 not so much) generous amounts of leave time, nice 403b match.

Cons

Putnam City, for all the prestige and shine they put on the district, is horribly, horribly CHEAP!! Expect furloughs (weeks without pay when they are budget tight) they don't often honor cost of living increases (which are federally mandated btw), and you can go years without a wage increase in sight.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and use some of those huge title grants to pay people! Turn over rate is YEARLY and it shouldn't be this way. It's also why you can't get good people in the door.