PwC Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Boston, MA Area

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim Ryan

Pros
  • Flexibility in work life balance (in 562 reviews)

• You will learn a lot from the people you work with (in 337 reviews)

Cons

1. "PwC = best place to work"

Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Boston, MA

Pros

PwC treats every employee as part of the PwC family. They know how to appeal to every aspect of an employee's happiness - recognition, rewards, flexibility, merit based promotions/pay/bonuses/raises. Lots of my friends wish they worked for PwC - they give us extra days off at holidays, spot bonuses for no reason (bigger spot bonuses if you earn them). The flexibility allows employees to meet personal committments and live their life.

Cons

Accountants and auditors work a looooot of hours, but this is true of all of the big four. Specialists have it really good here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, I love working for PwC.

2. "Place"

Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

Pros

Prestige, opens the doors for growth

Cons

Work Like Balance is not balanced

Advice to Management

N/A

"PwC offers amazing opportunities to update your resume with new experiences from every client engagement."

Current Employee - Advisory Senior Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Advisory Senior Associate in Boston, MA

Pros

PwC offers unprecedented client experience straight out of college in the advisory line of service. Me and my colleagues immediately began working with our clients and traveling around the country. Networking opportunities are second to none and I will certainly be leveraging my relationships with client management as I continue to advance in my career at PwC or elsewhere. Simply put, you get paid to learn the industry and to provide consulting services to the most prestigious companies in the world. Every new project can be viewed as an opportunity to add something new to your personal resume.

Cons

The audit and tax side is heavily affected by long, tedious overtime hours. The advisory side is not impacted as much due to a lack of a "busy season". On the technology side, I very rarely work more than 40-50 hours per week. Biggest problem with PwC is that you can sometimes feel like a small fish in a big ocean. It's easy to get lost in the crowd, and even easier to be overlooked in respect to recognition for outstanding client service, which leads to pay increase and even promotions. There is internal political drama at most big companies, and PwC is no different.

Advice to Management

PwC prides themselves on work/life balance and flexibility when it comes to taking time off. The problem is that our consulting model is based client utilization (how many hours per week you are actually billing to a client), and utilization numbers are the primary driver for individual year-end performance and compensation rewards. Our allotted vacation and holidays are not subtracted from the overall yearly hours, so the system passively rewards those who do not take vacation or holidays and end up working and thus billing our clients. If I am at 80% utilization yearly utilization with 3 months left before my performance review, and my utilization goal is 85%, I am forced to put in extra hours and cancel my vacation plans to meet those goals. Management will never actively encourage you to do this, but a smart resource knows that if they want a chance at a higher rating when compared to a party of their peers (and thus a higher raise/bonus), they will "do what they need to do" to hit that goal. If I earn 3 weeks of vacation a year, not taking those 3 weeks gives me a chance to earn an extra 5.7% utilization, which can certainly make the difference between being rated as "Exceptional" or "Higher than Expected".

5. "Opportunities there for the taking"

Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Boston, MA

Pros

The Firm provides plenty of promotion opportunities and room for advancement for those who are willing to work hard and who are motivated to succeed. Working for PwC provides a detailed career path; there is very little chance of getting stuck in a position with no upward mobility, there are plenty of challenges there for the taking. Additionally, as a employee in my mid-20's, it is nice to work with a wide range of people who are predominantly the same age as myself. This makes for a great social atmosphere, and people are able to relate to each other's experiences.

Cons

Tasks can be monotonous, dealing with difficult clients, many deadlines.

Advice to Management

Continue to ensure that good feedback is provided to employees.

6. "All around, 5 stars for PwC"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA

Pros

PwC has been very informative and kept all employees aware of the current market situation. We've cut many "extras" rather than have mass layoffs, but I believe they are revisiting poor performance situations as well. They've made us feel like a big team and given the "we're all in this together" message in many ways.

Cons

Massive companies always have challenges as to connections to people and making sure nobody slips through the cracks. Reading other reviews, it does sound like perhaps that is still happening here.

Advice to Management

Thank you for keeping us informed in the tough economy. Perhaps partners could have more one-on-one time with staff. I know this is an individual decision, but many partners have dinners at their house for their group, or take staff to lunch, or come by and chat. Others do not, and I think it would be nice if they were encouraged to speak with staff assigned to them (who don't work directly) with more than just at annual raise/bonus time.

7. "International Tax Associate"

Current Employee - Experienced Tax Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Experienced Tax Associate in Boston, MA

Pros

Great feedback; many opportunitites to grow within the firm academically and personally; lots of opportunities to give back to the community

Cons

Lots of travel makes it difficult to have a family.

Advice to Management

Great job.

8. "PricewaterhouseCoopers is a Great Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Boston, MA

Pros

Lots of perks in the department I worked in
    Great opportunities to learn both hard and soft skills
    Spot bonuses for a job well done
    Unscheduled office closings sometimes for 4th of July and the holiday season

Cons

A lot of late nights
    Certain members of management too concerned with their own importance
    Organization of administrative department (Corporate Services)

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. For some - try not to let your egos get the best of you.

9. "Great place to start a career"

Former Employee - Tax Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Tax Intern in Boston, MA

Pros

Great experience doing actual client work.
    Treated as an associate and not an intern.
    Great people always willing to help.
    Great compensation for a college student!

Cons

Depending on industry you can expect to work long hours (however as an intern you still get paid hourly, so its not the worst thing in the world)
    Sometimes work given is above your skill level

Advice to Management

Staff working longer hours with high utilization should be compensated for the extra time they put in; maybe in the form of an end of the year bonus. This way everyone is treated fairly because some teams work harder and longer hours than others and everyone starts with the same base salary.

10. "Positive and supportive"

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Boston, MA

Pros

The job promotions are frequent and the training is very comprehensive and really prepares you in different areas of tax.

Cons

The pay is not that great for an attorney working in the tax department. Seems like you have to put in 7-ish years to start making decent money.

11. "Terrific experience and opportunity"

Current Employee - Tax Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Tax Intern in Boston, MA

Pros

Tons of smart people who are willing to help you with the challenging work.

Cons

Long hours - but that is to be expected.

Showing 212 of 13,499 reviews