PwC Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

PwC Boston Reviews

Updated February 15, 2017

Boston, MA Area

Pros
  • The work-life balance is much better than I thought it would be (in 538 reviews)

• Learn a lot very quickly in a collaborative environment (in 323 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not that great (in 1935 reviews)

• Long hours majority of the year (in 1960 reviews)

1. "Great Company, High Cost"

Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

Great resources, great support. For the most part, the organization works as a team when dealing with clients or internal projects. Organization is willing to work with flex arrangements for some positions.

Cons

You are expected to be available at all times and be willing to travel nearly all the time.

2. "Great opportunities (with the right attitude)"

Current Employee - Assurance Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Assurance Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good opportunities & work culture with the right team. Good CPA incentives, benefits. Excellent name for your resume if you choose to look for new opportunities elsewhere.

Cons

Busy season hours can be long with certain teams. Typical day-to-day professional services annoyances are expected (ex. billing time, frequent trainings and internal compliance)

3. "PwC Start Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Everyone from associates to partners are willing to talk with you and are interested in your development. Love real-time feedback system.

Cons

Seemingly pretty rigid in employment structure. Other places pay more. Although one of the most prestigious companies, others have better exit options. Hours can be long (not for interns)

Advice to Management

Keep doing things to push diversity like bringing Melanie Hobbs in, that really demonstrated the commitment to creating an inclusive workplace for employees.

"underwhelming"

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at PwC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

brand name, client quality, opens doors

Cons

some of the dumbest people I have ever met, lacking flexibility, group think, center-of-universe-syndrome

6. "Best place to learn"

Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Boston, MA

Pros

Best place to learn. Access to partners, c-suite executives on a daily basis. PwC is a place for high achievers who want to learn on a daily basis,

Cons

Long hours are only a downside if you aren't interested in what you're doing. If you work hard for them, they'll work hard for you.

Advice to Management

Ask as many questions as you can. The textbook was helpful in school, but now you're in the real work learning from the best in the business.

7. "Great start"

Former Employee - Experienced Associate (Assurance) in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Experienced Associate (Assurance) in Boston, MA

I worked at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with a ton of other recent graduates that are very driven, and make the team feel more like a college classroom. It's a great first job for this ease of transition. It can be hit or miss with more senior members of the firm if they really care about seeing you succeed, but if you take ownership of your career you can find a team that works for you.

Cons

Long hours, and a lot of meaningless work. A lot of the old mantra of paying your dues. Depending on your clients you can easily get pigeon holes into working only one client which makes it difficult to learn as much as you can while being at such a large firm.

Advice to Management

Get away from the mindset that employees are commodities. Yes there are always new college graduates to fill positions, but to take better care of the employees that's re already there through better compensation would go a long way.

"Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Good to put on resume, but thats it

Cons

Rediculous hours, left after a year....not worth it

Advice to Management

Pay us like the licensed professionals we are

9. "Great hard working people"

Current Employee - Tax Department in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Tax Department in Boston, MA

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People, knowledge sharing, flexibility, salary

Cons

Hours - they work you very hard & it never lets up

Advice to Management

Take more care in outsourcing of departments

"Great place to learn"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at PwC (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked with some of the smartest people I know, solving problems that our clients often face once in their careers. They push flexibility and I was lucky enough to experience it when I needed it, not the same for others.

Cons

Travel, often on a project for 6+ months of continuous travel, you lose the lack of community and belonging to the city you actually live in.

Advice to Management

Continue the stellar growth, but as you move up the ladder you find yourself becoming more and more specialized. In many cases it's the nature of the beast, but there needs to be a way to have people explore their curiosities even at the Manager and Director level.

11. "Great Reputation / Lacks Culture"

Current Employee - Risk Assurance Senior Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Risk Assurance Senior Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at PwC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Reputable brand and exposure to great companies and work streams. Opportunities are extensive within the company and if choose to leave. The salary is fair given the market and they do seem to make a concerted effort to respond to concerns communicated by employees.

Cons

no sense of culture or community. I came in as an experienced hire and with the size of the company, competitive nature, and long hours, I found it incredibly difficult to make an honest connection with anyone. The hours are long and I did not often get a feeling of respect or understanding for a life outside of work. I have always felt more like a resource and less like a person.

Advice to Management

I think that management is doing its best, but people who want to be here are those which thrive on a cut throat environment and/or grew up in the culture. I think that, despite their emphasis of balance, it is not something that the company is designed for and those who have made it far do not seem to mind the lack of balance.

Showing 208 of 12,761 reviews