PwC Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

PwC Chicago Reviews

Updated April 21, 2017

Chicago, IL

Pros
  • The work-life balance is much better than I thought it would be (in 559 reviews)

• You will learn a lot from the people you work with (in 337 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not that great (in 2020 reviews)

• Sometimes had long hours with little notice (in 2068 reviews)

1. "Advisory Intern"

Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

Pros

Friendly and supportive people, flexible, people really want to help you progress in your career, lots of opportunity for growth

Cons

Possible long hours, placed into a group (horizontal and vertical) and can get stuck, thought people would be from better schools

2. "Lot's of Learning, Little Engineering or Fun"

Former Intern - Associate Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Associate Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at PwC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The high intensity work environment at PwC forces you to learn quickly as an intern. Even though I didn't have any previous experience with the healthcare industry coming in, I was expected to contribute to the team's work after only a week on site. Over my 6 weeks at the firm, I got plenty of practice using Excel and Powerpoint and gained a solid understanding of something I knew nothing about going in: the hospital revenue cycle. I also enjoyed Friday happy hours and the fun intern events that were put on at my home office. PwC looks good on a resume and will pay you well as an intern.

Cons

The travel for consulting is grueling. Even though I was just flying from Chicago to Detroit, I experienced flight delays that had me get back to my apartment at 10 PM on Thursday nights and even forced me to spend the night in Detroit on one occasion. If you like having a routine after work, i.e. working out, cooking a healthy dinner, watching TV or running errands, consulting is not for you. Ignoring the fact that you live in a hotel for most of the week, the hours of my project were long and varied day by day. Sometimes we would work until 5:30 and call it quits, then the next day we would work until 7. It drove me crazy not having a reliable routine, and I was worn out. Also, while the long hours are worth it when you are an intern and getting paid by the hour, I can't imagine working 10 hour days while salaried!

Advice to Management

Commit to projects with realistic timelines that don't force employees to work ridiculous hours. Recognize that not everyone is a work-aholic and some people need time by themselves at night.

3. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in Chicago, IL

Pros

Smart people, great benefits, great experience, resume and salary builder

Cons

place you in projects that don't align with your career goals

5. "Great place to work in"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

1. Competitive Salary, unlimited sick leaves, very good maternity and paternity leave options.
    2. Good opportunities
    3. Comparatively nice culture when compared to the other big 4.

Cons

1. Some teams are not well organized.

6. "Tax Associate"

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with and nice office.

Cons

Lots of work which sometimes leads to a poor work life balance.

7. "Switched to PwC, quality of life went way up"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Moved over to PwC from the legal field and could not be happier with vast improvement in my quality of life for several reasons:
    - Projects are challenging and you're given work based on ability not seniority. You are trusted to get your work done, most managers are very good at not micro-managing. Way less stress just for the sake of stress.
    - Creativity and innovation valued, working with diverse and inclusive teams means that everyone learns something from our varied approaches. Better project outcomes too.
    - Time off, benefits, and perks are amazing. Your compensation barely scratches the surface - the best is paying for your cell phone service, including hot spot -- I can work when and where I need b/c of that.
    - Flexibility isn't just talk- if they can help you make work work for you, they will. It's not a perfect balance on a day-to-day basis, but I spend way more time in an average week on myself and my family than ever before.

Cons

No job is perfect, and working at PwC is no exception. However, at PwC most rough things can also be good things:
    - Hours can be long, but leadership always open to hearing ideas to improve efficiency
    - Continuous improvement is expected, which can be hard on a personal level to always be self-assessing, but people care and want to help you progress

Advice to Management

Keep promoting a culture that is open to change - it's working

8. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Collaborative and collegial work culture

Cons

At times it feels we are too slow and conservative

"Financial Services is managed by Fin-tards"

Former Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in Chicago, IL

I worked at PwC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you get on a project with your Relationship Partner (RP) and you are willing to be their undergarment at a minimum for 1 year - your career is SET for life.

Cons

1- Demand management is a JOKE. Incompetent employees working off a MS Excel sheet to place you who have NO idea of your strengths. During orientation when they emphasize on "brand" "brand" "brand" - it basically means find your own projects by using the first month with phone calls and instant messages to get a great project.

2- FS clients in reality are NY, Chi, SC, ATL, SF and Dallas - outside of this don't think of FS clients being great

Advice to Management

1- When you have an employee at 120% changeability and their snapshots (reviews) are amazing, when you lay them off, remember - it's your short term gain to the books, but a great long term loss as the PwC and Strategy& merger HAS BEEN AN EPIC FAIL. Growing pains we can understand, but having worked there - it's a battle of egos and FS is going down... the numbers speak for themselves by internal folks - no need to fluff them on conference calls.

10. "Great First Job"

Former Employee - Experienced Tax Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Experienced Tax Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

- Great Experience
    - Young Culture, albeit a tad buttoned up
    - flexible to a degree
    - good pay/benefits

Cons

- hours hours hours
    - leadership feels out-of-touch at times, indifferent
    - depending on group, hard to see the internal mobility that is advertised

11. "Great Company for High Performers"

Current Employee - Transaction Services Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Transaction Services Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big 4 powerhouse
    Smartest people you'll come across
    Young Staff and very social
    Exposure to leadership
    Many internal opportunities if you can position yourself accordingly

Cons

Long hours
    Limitations when trying to explore xLos opportunities
    Considerable admin and risk managment

Showing 306 of 13,421 reviews