PwC Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Senior Associate"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to grow your career quickly. Solid perks and benefits.

Cons

Worklife balance is not always there.

Advice to Management

If your project plan assumes your team will work til 9pm for months on end... you don't have a good project plan.

2. "Assurance Sector"

Former Employee - Assurance Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assurance Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at PwC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people - lots to learn. See many different processes and accounting by changing clients frequently in Assurance.

Cons

There are long hours/weekends, but that is known going into it.

3. "Associate"

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, good benefits, smart people, great opportunity to start and grow a career. Amazing network to pull from and awesome place to develop skills needed anywhere.

Cons

Extensive travel, which is more a function of the industry not necessarily the company, but still applicable nonetheless. Below average pay.

Advice to Management

Pay for performance

"Health care consulting"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at PwC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people. Ability to work on intellectually challenging projects.

Cons

Lack of life balance. Misleading career opportunities.

5. "Love them Already!"

Current Intern - Internal Firm Services - Start in Chicago, IL
    Current Intern - Internal Firm Services - Start in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC as an intern

Pros

Very enjoyable people. They care some much about future employees. A lot of their employees have been working for them for over 15 years. That's a great sign

Cons

Haven't seen any just yet.

"Couple of Notes from Working in Advisory - And a Suggestion"

Former Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in Chicago, IL

I worked at PwC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For years, as a financial analyst, and then as a financial reporting consultant (SAP & BI, etc.), I had wanted to work with one of the the Big-4 or a national firm. ...While in school had managed to get interviews with KPMG and Deloitte, but later when a chance came for a project at PwC, it seemed like the best-fit.

For what it's worth, I had always felt that Deloitte had some of the best/slickest "relationship builders", but PwC had the most technically-proficient and respectable, and so also felt like that fit me as well. So, jumped at the chance to work in Advisory.

I still believe that was more-or-less the right take on the "cultural fit". And I'd also say that PwC offers more of a chance to develop advanced-level knowledge, and that kind of thing. So, if you can find a good department/group/partner, you can forge a path. ...And this is very important to do, especially if (like me), you come in as an experienced hire, etc.

Cons

The one issue I had was (and this might not be PwC-specific, so maybe even more valuable of a note for other aspiring consultants), that there was an intense pressure to find future projects, 3, 6, or even 9 months in the future.

After having moved-on from consulting, over the past couple of years, I've seen others report this as well. ...They say you have to "take responsibility" for managing your future projects and research/apply to other partners so to find projects to maintain your utilization ratio.

I didn't quite realize just how much of an issue this is. But, what can happen is that if you're not careful, and don't manage it way-out there in advance, you'll end up being assigned to a funky project and/or something that you can't totally slam-dunk. ...If that happens, you could find it more difficult for future gigs (which again you'll have to spend night & weekend time to dig-up), and eventually if you have more than 2 weeks of non-assigned time at some point, you're at risk.

Advice to Management

My one suggestion, as someone who was an experienced hire and came in with (at least somewhat of a sense of the pro's/con's), is what if there was some way to take a bit of extra time off after or between projects at some partial-pay rate -- or even no pay, if that's an issue?

This would help pretty significantly with retention and facilitate staff recovery between projects, as well as allowing them some chance to do marketing, searching for other partners in other departments, etc. ...After all, it was typical to plan/book time months in advance on the demand planning application. Might help with flex-time arranging as well, so could be good for all.

7. "Tax Associate"

Former Employee - 62000 in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - 62000 in Chicago, IL

Pros

No travel
    Good benefits
    Numerous opportunities for promotion
    Opportunity to work on multiple clients
    Lots of networking opportunities

Cons

Very long hours
    Low level of flexibility
    Multiple clients throughout the year
    High level of competitiveness within group which leads to unhealthy teaming.

8. "PwC Sr Tax Consultant - Global Mobility"

Current Employee - Senior Tax Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility and freedom to try other LOS. Strong global presence that encourages relationships outside of US. Ability to travel frequently.

Cons

There's a reason PwC has the highest revenue per employee, many times feel shorthanded but still expected to complete all the work.

Advice to Management

Try not to make everything always about the bottom line.

9. "It was a great experience where I had the opportunity to do a lot of client facing work as an intern right off the bat."

Former Intern - Advisory in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Advisory in Chicago, IL

I worked at PwC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Real time work, real responsibilities, real exposure. Did a lot of work that was used in client presentations which was incredibly rewarding. Learned a lot!

Cons

Demanding, they place you in a competency that they see fit best for you. They don't let you choose which is kind of a strategic move on their part but didn't like it as an intern because I didn't know what else was out there. I wish they had more of a generalist advisory entry level job not specified by a competency

"Great firm, still not there on work/life balance"

Former Employee - Advisory Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Advisory Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at PwC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great engagements, team members, and credentials with clients. Great benefits and overall compensation.

Cons

Still not supportive of parents who want to be more present in their children's lives. Travel for consultants outside of some markets that are more local (e.g. Silicon Valley) are very taxing.

Showing 354 of 16,647 reviews