PwC Reviews in Pittsburgh, PA | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim Ryan
1 Rating

Pros
  • The work-life balance is much better than I thought it would be (in 538 reviews)

• Learn a lot very quickly in a collaborative environment (in 323 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not that great (in 1935 reviews)

• Long hours majority of the year (in 1960 reviews)

1. "great place"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PwC (More than a year)

Pros

challenging and flexible and great culture!

Cons

the same as for any public accounting job; the long hours.

2. "WMTS"

Former Employee - Tax Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The first couple of promotions are pretty well defined. Not much in terms of surprises. You don't need to be a CPA to advance. Become an enrolled agent, work for 6 years, and you are now a manager. Hurray!
    If you like moderate travel, you do get to visit clients and have training opportunities in other cities. I would say you travel about twice a year if you are an associate that is visiting clients and doing the PwC tax training.
    You will probably make some new friends through your shared animosity toward other people.
    Some of the interns can really give you a good laugh when you're having a crappy day/week/month.
    Men and women get the exact same pay. So when you're arguing against your feminist friend about the pay-gap being nonexistent you have a great example to use.

Cons

Coming in, they tell you the way things are through rose colored glasses. It is dishonest at best. They do the same thing after every tax season. Telling you fairy tales of endless new hires and system improvements.
    They are understaffed, yet somehow will find a way to be even further understaffed next year. The partners try to validate the staffing levels by noting that everybody is still taking their vacation days. That's probably more of a reflection of how little everyone cares about getting their work done.
    If you stay for too long(3+ years), you get trapped. You only have WMTS knowledge, which is pretty specific. You won't be able to find another tax job for similar pay, because you've now been promoted. So you either leave and take a pay cut, or stay and continue a miserable life. Or you can go to EY to do the exact same miserable thing.
    They will tell you that you are expected to work 300 hours of overtime during tax season and that this is figured into your pay. So if your salary is 50k, you really make about 43k before overtime. Except you actually work more like 500 hours of overtime. So you now make 40k before overtime. For the amount of stress - and it's a lot - I don't think it's worth it.
    Dealing with the client and beneficiaries sucks. There's no other way to put it.
    The people that you work with will complain endlessly about everything. "The catering isn't healthy. We can't eat tacos every night." So they hire new caterers with a focus on healthier options. "The food is so bland. They never have any good food. I want something cheesy." The same people complain when ordering out, which is rude because they are essentially complaining about their coworkers. Order your own damn food if you don't want what we're having!
    If you're on an engagement that hasn't ventured into 2009 yet, you have to print everything. Like all else, the printers suck. So you become a low level mechanic during your time working in WMTS. You also develop some mad stapling skills. On the other hand, your intern probably can't staple six pages together so you have to use your mad stapling skills more often than you'd prefer.
    Did I mention that summers are no better than the winter? You don't work the same hours, but you find yourself being just as busy. This is when a lot of people are quitting so you have to handle more than your usual account load. The type of work is also a lot less motivating. I would much rather spend my time cranking out tax returns than doing data projects. Don't get me wrong, they need done, but my point is that it's no picnic working in WMTS over the summer.
    Pam Morse.

Advice to Management

Don't make everything a secret. When somebody is quitting, make an announcement. When somebody is going on maternity leave, make an announcement. When somebody is getting promoted, make an announcement. You create drama and clicks by not sharing information that should be known by the entire team.
    Hire some more people. You are understaffed. Admit it. It gets worse every year.

3. "Tax Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PwC full-time

Pros

The experience and training, flexible hours. Great benefits.

Cons

Tax seasons. long hours and work on the weekends

5. "BIG 4 Experience"

Current Intern - WMTS Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Intern - WMTS Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PwC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

People are friendly, funny, and helpful! Learn about 1041s. School/work balance.

Cons

Slow at first but then picks up pace

6. "WMTS Intern"

Former Intern - Wealth Management Tax Services in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Intern - Wealth Management Tax Services in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PwC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

big 4 company, looks good on resume, pays well, good people to work with

Cons

easy to get lost in the shuffle, long hours, boring work, high stress

Advice to Management

create better culture

7. "Former Intern"

Current Intern - Assurance Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Intern - Assurance Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PwC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Likely to work on the most prestigious clients (Fortune 500).

Cons

The work/life balance of Public Accounting.

Advice to Management

More say in picking your initial clients.

8. "WMTS Intern"

Former Intern - WMTS Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Intern - WMTS Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PwC as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

You will make some great friends, not just with other interns but some associates too. Plus the Big 4 name is great to put on your resume, and you get some good public accounting experience. If you work over 10 hours and on Saturdays (which you will), they will pay for your meals.

Cons

I worked at PwC for two tax seasons as an intern. I have to say the first year I did the internship, the hours were terrible but I loved it. I enjoyed being there and working with the people I was working with. However, the second year was the complete opposite. Turnover is so high in the WMTS practice that I was working with completely new people and as a second year intern, I was more qualified than most of the new associates. There was way too many interns so there was a lot of downtime and no one would have work for you, but management would then yell at you to find some work or go home if you didnt have any when it was their fault that nothing was being released to give people work. There is a huge lack of communication between management and associates that makes it impossible to get any work done. The software is also a huge downfall because once you think you got a decent amount of work done, it turns out that you have to redo everything because of numbers not flowing right so then that takes up even more time, and sadly this is a good thing in the eyes of management because then you can charge more billable hours to the client. Also, the WMTS practice promotes based on time you have worked there and not on how qualified you are, so a lot of the senior associates and managers were completely unqualified to be in a management position. There was a lot of problems with lack of respect in the office and management and some seniors (one in particular) would talk about interns behind their backs and treat them like they were children and not worthy of anything. I got offered a position there and turned it down because we were treated so badly.

Advice to Management

Tax season would run so much smoother if you got a software that actually worked. Treat the interns with respect because they are the backbone to tax season. Stop promoting people based on time and start promoting by qualifications. Billable hours are not something to push because value and quality are then ignored.

9. "Tax Intern"

Former Intern - Wealth Management Tax in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Intern - Wealth Management Tax in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PwC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay- Hourly wage is extremely competitive, especially during tax season where you are working 20+ hours of overtime. Great first hand experience with tax and wealth management.

Cons

During the semester, the hours that are advertised and the hours you actually work are completely different and can become overwhelming to many of the younger interns.

Advice to Management

Try to add more employees/interns during busy season to relieve hours given the strain that is put on them.

10. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Wonderful people that we're helpful in showing me what I needed to learn and allowed me to ask plenty of question.

Cons

The commute was long but that was based on my location. Other than that, I enjoyed my experience with the company.

11. "Winter Intern"

Former Intern - Winter Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Intern - Winter Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PwC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great first hand business experience. Was a great way to get accustomed to office life and gain valuable accounting knowledge.

Cons

People always say the hours but that is expected in any public accounting job. As an intern though you reap the benefits of overtime so it's not too bad at all.

Showing 29 of 12,751 reviews