PwC Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
PwC Chairman Robert E. Moritz
Robert E. Moritz

Pros
  • The work-life balance is much better than I thought it would be (in 548 reviews)

• You learn a lot of skills using Excel (in 330 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not that great (in 1978 reviews)

• Sometimes had long hours with little notice (in 2013 reviews)

1. "Overall"

I have been working at PwC full-time

Pros

Was a good place with resources

Cons

Partner focus with no empathy

2. "Poor place to work"

Former Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at PwC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have good resources and giant companies as client. Training programs are diversified and interesting sometime. Company has a good brand but not after 2017 Oscar!

Cons

Long working hours, poor quality bosses and they don't care about staffs and managers. Poor client basis for some listed companies. Low salary and very low bonus. In all, not recommend anyone I know to work there! Female partner is just like boss not like a leader! Poor thing!

Advice to Management

Partners need to improve their EQ don't be stingy to team and take sometime to really care about your team no matter what the sizes are. Partners don't talk or gossip behind staffs, talk to them f2f instead of talk someone behind his/her back! Such low personality!

"The fish rots from the head down"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at PwC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay - full stop

Cons

PwC IT is (was) centrally located in Tampa, FL. It has gone through more than 8 major reorganizations in 10 years, leading to the firing of more than 1,500 staff, gutting the staff and corporate knowledge, replacing them with ~4,000 Contractors in India who aren't able to even keep the lights on, let alone building new capabilities. And now 10 years later, PwC is rebuilding internally with totally new and fresh out of college people. Current staff given the finger and told their last workday will be 3/22/17. People with less than 2 years until retirement are told, "oh well, sorry, no retirement for you. Go blank yourselves."
    They took what once worked (albeit with lots of improvement opportunities) and replaced with hasn't worked, ever.
    Their Finance application fails every night. Yes their finance system! Bills and revenue.
    New applications are getting dumped on the business, don't work, and don't get needed support.
    How the heck do you replace the knowledge that your pushing out the door? All of it.
    Good thing PwC is not a public company because this treasonous behavior would never be tolerated.
    Partners will learn to care when their poop doesn't work, their clients fire them, and they have to sell their yacht and give up their girl friends.

And they thought the Oscars was a showstopper.

Advice to Management

Fire Rick Ancona and his cronies
    Outsource all of IT or put yourself for a M&A
    To Potential Clients - look elsewhere. Whatever technology they use to differentiate themselves will not work. Don't be fooled with a name. Coopers & Lybrand was great before it got skinned by Price Waterhouse partners. It will topple.

5. "#1 Brand Name Sweatshop in Accounting"

Pros

PwC name on your resume will open doors for interviews. Even if you are not qualified for the job, people will still want to talk to you. Get two years in and leave.

Cons

Very long work hours. Monday to Sunday. You will work. Then work some more. Then work even more. That is all you will do. Work. Your life will pass you by. Suddenly you will realize you wasted your life.

Advice to Management

None. They won't listen. Churn n burn is part of the PwC business model. They factor this in.

"too much coolaid"

I have been working at PwC full-time

Pros

fun happy hours, pretty girls, thirsty interns

Cons

too much work, too many expectations.

"PwC Advisory - Technology Consulting"

Former Employee - Advisory Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Advisory Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will get to travel to different locations across the country and might even internationally. However, this is what traps most college grads are looking for that "traveling" lifestyle however, it will get old real fast and you realize that you will lose most of your time with your friends and family.

Cons

The biggest downside is that PwC will tell you there are countless number of opportunities avaiable. Although it is true that there are countless number of clients and projects, the individual role of an associate is not flexible and more of "do the work, or move on". There are no consideration of what you as the associate want to do because you do not have a chose. They will tell you that you can switch to other competencies but the issue is that because you have no reputation within the department you want to switch into, it is impossible for you to get staffed. Please do not fall into the trap of hearing all the good things about traveling and diverse experience. The truth is different locations and projects but the role is very much the same. You do not actually find out what department you are in until 2 weeks before your orientation starts.

In terms of career growth and outlook, the RP (Relationship Partner), the person that manages your promotions, salary, bonus, your life at the firm will talk to you like 2 to 3 times a year. This is what makes most of my peers frustrated because how can you learn about the person and make sure they are going that path they want with just a few 30 minute phone calls. The unfortunate true is that no matter how good of work you are doing on your project, nothing will arise unless it's something bad.

I would highly encourage, college graduates seek out opportunities in the startup environment, especially if you are in the SF Bay Area because you will work just as hard but with people that actually care about you more than just co-worker. PwC might be the place for people that have been in industry for a long time, but it is definitely not a place for new graduates looking for the proper mentorship and guidance.

Advice to Management

Please do not "sell" to new college grads about the different opportunities because you know that is not the truth for any vertical or horizontal level

8. "Racist/ Discrimination"

Former Employee - Administrative Services Concierge in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Administrative Services Concierge in Tampa, FL

I worked at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seems as if they want to include everyone the illusion of inclusion

Cons

They act like they want everyone involved and pretend as if they don’t discriminate, however, there are cliques and if you don’t want to party with them they will mistreat you. The illusion of inclusion. The Internal Firm Services division needs to be revamped with new employees.

Advice to Management

When someone files a complaint to listen to the concerns ad not retaliate.

"WMTS"

Former Employee - Tax Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The first couple of promotions are pretty well defined. Not much in terms of surprises. You don't need to be a CPA to advance. Become an enrolled agent, work for 6 years, and you are now a manager. Hurray!
    If you like moderate travel, you do get to visit clients and have training opportunities in other cities. I would say you travel about twice a year if you are an associate that is visiting clients and doing the PwC tax training.
    You will probably make some new friends through your shared animosity toward other people.
    Some of the interns can really give you a good laugh when you're having a crappy day/week/month.
    Men and women get the exact same pay. So when you're arguing against your feminist friend about the pay-gap being nonexistent you have a great example to use.

Cons

Coming in, they tell you the way things are through rose colored glasses. It is dishonest at best. They do the same thing after every tax season. Telling you fairy tales of endless new hires and system improvements.
    They are understaffed, yet somehow will find a way to be even further understaffed next year. The partners try to validate the staffing levels by noting that everybody is still taking their vacation days. That's probably more of a reflection of how little everyone cares about getting their work done.
    If you stay for too long(3+ years), you get trapped. You only have WMTS knowledge, which is pretty specific. You won't be able to find another tax job for similar pay, because you've now been promoted. So you either leave and take a pay cut, or stay and continue a miserable life. Or you can go to EY to do the exact same miserable thing.
    They will tell you that you are expected to work 300 hours of overtime during tax season and that this is figured into your pay. So if your salary is 50k, you really make about 43k before overtime. Except you actually work more like 500 hours of overtime. So you now make 40k before overtime. For the amount of stress - and it's a lot - I don't think it's worth it.
    Dealing with the client and beneficiaries sucks. There's no other way to put it.
    The people that you work with will complain endlessly about everything. "The catering isn't healthy. We can't eat tacos every night." So they hire new caterers with a focus on healthier options. "The food is so bland. They never have any good food. I want something cheesy." The same people complain when ordering out, which is rude because they are essentially complaining about their coworkers. Order your own damn food if you don't want what we're having!
    If you're on an engagement that hasn't ventured into 2009 yet, you have to print everything. Like all else, the printers suck. So you become a low level mechanic during your time working in WMTS. You also develop some mad stapling skills. On the other hand, your intern probably can't staple six pages together so you have to use your mad stapling skills more often than you'd prefer.
    Did I mention that summers are no better than the winter? You don't work the same hours, but you find yourself being just as busy. This is when a lot of people are quitting so you have to handle more than your usual account load. The type of work is also a lot less motivating. I would much rather spend my time cranking out tax returns than doing data projects. Don't get me wrong, they need done, but my point is that it's no picnic working in WMTS over the summer.
    Pam Morse.

Advice to Management

Don't make everything a secret. When somebody is quitting, make an announcement. When somebody is going on maternity leave, make an announcement. When somebody is getting promoted, make an announcement. You create drama and clicks by not sharing information that should be known by the entire team.
    Hire some more people. You are understaffed. Admit it. It gets worse every year.

"Associate"

Former Employee - Senior Experienced Associate in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Experienced Associate in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at PwC (More than a year)

Pros

Nice building and good location for building.

Cons

Garbage consulting firm that advertises contract to hire and keeps you for 3 months and lies to your face. Drunken white boys fraternity club is at every horrible bank snd provides garbage service at least at 300 per hr from white boys that cant tie their own shoe laces never mind provide recommendations.

"Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Internal Audit Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Internal Audit Associate in New York, NY

I worked at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, that was it.

Cons

Horrible place to work if you have a family to take care of. They don't care if you have someone you have to take care of at all; I had a manager tell me "Find someone else to take care of your responsibilities." Really? You're going to tell me to find someone else to take care of my kids? There is absolutely no work/life balance, sure they talk it up and say they have a great system in place, but it is just a façade, nothing but a lie. This is a great job if you are fresh out of college with no obligations and can work late, but if you are starting new but a little older, they have no compassion or understanding. Kept getting schedule 2 1/2- 3 hours from my home. When you have to travel 2 1/2 hours and have to be home by 8pm, that means you have to leave around 5:30. I asked if they could schedule me on clients that were closer to where I lived so I could spend more time in the office (which they did have) but they refused to accommodate my request. If you are in your mid 30's starting there be prepared to work with a lot of obnoxious people in there 20's, the company is pretty much run by inexperienced people with no heart. Also, my first 5 months after I started consisted of being "available." I sat around in the office for 8 hours a day waiting to see if anyone needed my help. I got paid to do nothing, which might sound good, but I also learned nothing and gained no experience.

Advice to Management

Management was horrible. I had 1 manager that drank on the job, was taking shots with the rest of the staff. Apparently this was an ok thing to do, which they did every Friday; I refused to participate. While everyone else was getting drunk, I was at my desk getting my work done. Also, you have reviews done on each engagement that you are on. Their snapshot categories are vague and can be interpreted in any number of ways. A positive review hinged on whether or not the reviewing manager liked you or not. If they didn't, they could write the snapshot to be negative based upon the way they choose to interpret the snapshot guidelines. Managers had no tact or respect for employees. I saw employees get scolded and embarrassed right in the middle of where the staff sat on more than one occasion. Manager said that they are to busy to find an office and speak to someone privately. Apparently it's to much to ask to be treated with respect and not humiliated in front of your co-workers.

Showing 554 of 13,143 reviews