PwC Reviews | Glassdoor

PwC Chairman Robert E. Moritz
Robert E. Moritz

13,364 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people; Training; Clear career progression; Great client list ; Good remuneration; Work life balance (in 591 reviews)

• Learn a lot - lots of on the job training (in 358 reviews)

Cons

"It can be a great place to work, but leadership can be lacking - relationhips are more highly valued."

Former Employee - Advisory Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Advisory Manager in New York, NY

Pros

A global professional environment. Traiing and learning is emphasized. Friendly nice people to work with. A fun culture.

Cons

Ratings and feedback from managers, even partners, were terrible. I generally had great ratings, but one time I was blindsided by a partner on a review with no warning or feedback.

This brings up a seond point: leadership. the badge says "Excellence, teamwork, Leadership." I agree witht he first two, but the last part of the triangel should be "relationships", not leadership. I consistently saw leaders do the wrong things, and always put relationships before standing up and doing the right thing in treating employees well. It is a culture of clib the pyramid and use your employees. This happens because leadership is not taught there ona consistent basis. Profits and relatiosnhips are emphsized.

Advice to Management

Make sure that people are treated right at all times, and that relaltionships are not emphasized over talent.

The outsourcing group in New York is an example of this and demonstrates this well. Extreme arrogance based on how long they knew you, not on your talents. I was treated with extreme arrgance when I entered the group. They think that the work is hard or special, when it is really general business. I was allowed into the group, but I never felt I had a fair shot there, and I felt typecast and emasculated as a manager, with little trust or room to grow from management right from day one. When I asked how long it would take to gain the trust of management and I was told "a year." As I was about to be promoted to director in the part of the firm that I left, I chose to leave to other great opportunities. Not a way to lead, evalute talent or treat people. It was all on realtionships. So they lost me, and I think I had a lot of talent. My new employer is taking advantage of it. PwC's loss.

2. "PricewaterhouseCoopers....the best place I've had the pleasure of working."

Current Employee - Executive Assistant Team Leader in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant Team Leader in San Francisco, CA

Pros

PwC is a great firm which provides unlimited learning opportunities, an excellent knowledge sharing environment, and has a corporate culture in which an ethical attitude and respectful conduct is a must. PwC rewards hard work through a generous benefits package, bonuses and incentive rewards. PwC is serious about providing work/life balance for all of its staff members.

Cons

Being employed at PwC involves lots of hard work in an challenging environment. If you are looking for an 8am-5pm job....PwC isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Kudos to each of you regarding the excellent planning and organization involved in our redesign.

"No career roadmapping, very poor modeling of leadership behaviors by senior management."

Former Employee - Business Assurance Associate in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Business Assurance Associate in Lexington, KY

Pros

It is a nice thing to possess on your resume - the "union stamp" of the finance profession. Per the Wiki, "None of the Big Four accounting firms is a single firm. Each is a network of firms, owned and managed independently, which have entered into agreements with other member firms in the network to share a common name, brand and quality standards. Each network has established an entity to co-ordinate the activities of the network. In two cases (KPMG and Deloitte Touche Tomatsu), the co-ordinating entity is Swiss, and in two cases (PricewaterhouseCoopers and Ernst & Young) the co-ordinating entity is a UK limited company. Those entities do not themselves practise accountancy, and do not own or control the member firms."

Cons

No career guidance or roadmapping, very poor modeling of leadership behaviors by senior management. Consider Michael Lewis' book Moneyball, and the Wiki article "in which he investigated the dramatic success of Billy Beane and the Oakland A's, a baseball team which won consistently despite not being particularly well-funded by Major League Baseball standards. He noted the influence of baseball thinkers such as Bill James on the Oakland front office, which used their arguments to find underrated baseball players. In contrast to other teams which still considered potential players almost entirely on their physical abilities, such as speed and strength, Beane considered prior performance at the college and high school level. This allowed him to find players whose physical skills might have been ordinary, but were still able to play extraordinarily well on the field. James also argued that certain skills, such as the ability to get on base, were equally valuable as the ability to hit, though most baseball decision makers considered the latter to be of more importance. Beane was thus able to find players who were able to provide high value for bargain prices. Lewis determined that these strategies, among others, allowed the relatively cash-poor A's to often outperform much wealthier teams."

Advice to Management

Big dinners at fancy restaurants are not life's goal.

"Career growth in the short-term"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

Pros

Working for PwC promises challenging assignments; exposure to cutting edge issues; well-qualified colleagues, particularly in the audit practice; and an experience subsequent employers will recognize and value.

Cons

There is limited career mentoring, and no attempt at work-life balance. Lack of transparency in communications from mid-level and senior leadership is pervasive, particularly when the firm may be experiencing difficulty in meeting its business and financial goals and staff layoffs are occurring. Entrepreneurship is discouraged by a rigid, compliance-driven culture. The firm's business plan is continuously shifting with few long-term goals, leading to periodic purges of staff, particularly on the Advisory side of the firm. While the virtues of collegiality are extolled, they are not consistently practiced. There is intense competition for revenue between practice groups, sometimes on a single project. This does not always lead to the best outcome for the client and sometimes creates risk management issues when the individuals with the best skill sets are not deployed. There is little tolerance for, or understanding of staff who come out of industry and whose skill sets are not IT- or audit-related. These individuals are not easily integrated into the firm and generally have a difficult and short career there.

Advice to Management

Value your staff as much as you say you value your clients. Staff morale is important to the bottom line.

5. "........................................"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in San Jose, CA

Pros

career opportunities and learning experience

Cons

Fairness & respect and recognition &feedback

Advice to Management

emphasing employee morale

"The campus speeches and printed materials about PwC do not mirror the actual culture...watch your back!"

Current Employee - Advisory Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Advisory Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

It looks great on your resume.

Cons

Your experience completely depends on the group you get to work with/for and your assigned client(s). Unfortunately, I worked with a hell Director that had no life herself and therefore did not allow anyone on our team to have a life. They contuniously preach (and put in print) the importance of work/life balance, but behind the scenes (and definitely not in print), they put unrealistic demands on Management and Staff which makes it nearly impossible to have a life. And unfortunately they do not currently have the amount of work available for individuals to make a choice. Additionally, moving ahead in the Firm does not depend on your quality of work but on who you know and how well the Partners like you and unfortunately the office I was in contains a large number of "good ole boy" Partners that are still resistant to women moving ahead.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. OneFirm should not just be a slogan.

"PwC - Pricks with Calculators"

Former Employee - Assurance Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Assurance Associate in Miami, FL

Pros

Their good clients, if you have enough political clout to get to work for the ones you want. However, be prepared to work in insurance or some othr crappy industry.

Cons

For the hours worked, this must be the sweat shop of the 21st century. I will not go into great detail here, as I have spoken enough about the firm on numerous other sites. That said, I have never met such a large number of backstabbing clones with an arrogant attitude. You either fit into the social fabric of the firm’s culture, or you are pretty much dead. The management of people at the firm is seriously lacking. Do not expect to be treated as a human being if you have a problem with a co-worker. Most importantly, the politics at PwC is beyond anything I ever could have imagined. It is in-your-face and accepted at all levels of the organization. In other words, people will sell their mothers for a buck in order to get a promotion. Do not always count on your skill set to get you through the day. Come review time, that club of ole boys will rear its ugly head. Oh, and one more thing: often expect to be pigeonholed into a client or industry for almost two years before having a pick at what you want. You actually do not “build your own career” here. HR builds it for you, and if you do not like it, then try another firm. They have a 30% (being generous here) or lower retention rate, anyway...

Advice to Management

Stop being hypocrites by promoting virtues of the firm that do not exist.

"Difficult company to work for. High burn out rate"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Detroit, MI

Pros

Mutiple opportunities, abilities to work on variety of projects within a short span.

Cons

Billable hours driven workforce.No Work Life Balance

Advice to Management

Be proactiev to promote staff

"Discrimination and Double Standards Run Rampant in This Organization"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Other companies are impressed by the entry of "PWC" on your resume.

Cons

It's unfortunate that I have to say the things that I'm about to say however, I feel that it is important for folks to understand what they're getting themselves into.

1) I have several years of professional experience but until my experience at PWC, I had never seen so much overt discrimination - both racism and sexism.

2) There is no work/life balance.

3) You are seldom matched to an opportunity which fits your skill set.

4) Management is very random about communication, sincerity, and ethics.

Advice to Management

If I thought that Senior Management would actually want the feedback, I'd be happy to provide it. Unfortunately, the elitist attitude interferes with their ability to appreciate that there are areas for improvement. Until they come to this realization, all feedback will fall on deaf ears.

"PwC Feeding your Future - New Hires Starving the faithful employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Clean Offices
    a few nice helpful people

Cons

very political place to work
    alot of people are promoted based on who they know not their job performance.
    Partners have the biggest egos of everyfrim I have worked.

Advice to Management

Coaching based on performance not opions
    Manage you own emotions and work load
    Support/stand behind the person(s) on you ":team"

Showing 13,364 of 14,736 reviews