PwC Reviews | Glassdoor

6,844 reviews

6,844 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance is very hard to have at consulting firms in general (in 2396 reviews)

• Sometimes had long hours with little notice (in 2475 reviews)

1. "Flexibility"

Pros

The firm is very flexible when it comes to work-life balance. They are willing to work with you, if you communicate in advance.

Cons

I haven’t noticed any at the moment.

2. "Great place to work, especially if you are early career."

Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I experience a strong degree of decision latitude, and my clients tell me that they take action on the basis of my findings. This makes me feel like my individual work is impactful, and I am always motivated to give my PwC my best work.

Cons

Hours are long, and they are not necessarily regular. This makes it somewhat difficult to make plans during the week. Then again, PwC is a Big 4 firm — what else would one expect? ;)

Advice to Management

I am consistently in a top performance tier, and my base compensation is towards the top of my pay band. I love PwC and am so appreciative of how the firm recognizes my work (relative to my internal peers). That said, I have an advanced specialty degree and often work 60+ hour weeks. I receive a lot of messages from headhunters and wonder if I can’t make more money and/or achieve better work life balance elsewhere. To be clear, I am not actively looking for another job.

3. "Senior Tax Associate"

Former Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at PwC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My tax group specifically had high morale. Fun, energetic, happy, young group of co-workers. The managers and above were all very smart, open to helping you and not intimidating. They encouraged you to grow and move up the chain. Great support system and mentoring. We produced high quality products to our clients and the managers and above had very high expectations, which is a very good thing. You got to meet tons of people from other tax services during trainings, or in office activities. I made long-lasting relationships here. I looked forward to coming into work mainly because of the awesome people. Great training tools and technology. We had tons of resources at our disposal that helped in our job and connections to the smartest in tax in other offices we could utilize. PwC has tons of opportunities to do rotations in other offices or outside the country. I am glad I started my career here, I definitely don't regret it.

Cons

Our busy season was like 6 months out of the year. Very long hours, had to work almost every weekend. Hard to plan ahead and plan vacations. I worked so much I could not study for my CPA during that time. The directors and below were all working late, so I felt I had to do the same or "be online" as people can tell if are or aren't working and may judge you for it. I feel even if you are rated very high with high utilization, you are still making "about the same" as those that were rated low. There are many bad applies in the group as well as good. But if you are good apple that just means you will get even more work because they know you'll do it right. PwC hardly fires people. If you suck but you are a warm body, they will keep you. But that hinders those that are doing a good job. Way too many admin schedules, sheets, forms, budgets etc that you have to keep up with that are all pointless.

Advice to Management

Weed out the bad apples, they are waste of your money and a waste of the good people's time. Do away with the BS admin stuff that are not effective and take away from our work. Pay the 5 star rated people much more than the 1 or 2 star to incentive them.

4. "PwC"

I have been working at PwC full-time

Pros

PwC has excellent employee benefits

Cons

Poor internal processes of staffing employees

5. "Great organization but difficult hours"

I have been working at PwC full-time

Pros

Because PwC is such a large company, the organization has great benefits and initiatives.

Cons

It's difficult to get around the hours.

6. "IFS"

Former Employee - IFS Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - IFS Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at PwC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Amazing resources
    - Stress about firm budget very rarely impacts employees (versus smaller firms, who very tightly monitor expenses, travel, software investments, etc.) which really allows you to focus on giving your best
    - Work perks abound, including health perks, gifts, and spot bonuses
    - Though it is very hierarchal, depending on your group you can contribute ideas and have them move very quickly into reality
    - Amazing work experience; you sink or swim, but if you're swimming, you're learning so much so quickly and really are enabled to be at the top of your field
    - Cell phone paid for, which is wonderful with the expectation of periodic messages outside of hours...I don't think it's fair when other firms expect you to distribute your personal number and install a bunch of work-related apps on your personal phone
    - If you can find time to take PTO, it's a lot easier to find support covering your projects than it is at smaller firms
    - Colleagues are incredibly smart
    - Good benefits and excellent holiday/leave policies
    - Recently brought all of the member firms throughout all the countries together, operating as one PwC, which was long overdue

Cons

- Long hours, especially working with international teams
    - Expectation is extremely high--perform not only at the top of your game, but find new ways to contribute with side projects and innovation ideas
    - The new "Snapshot" reviews that replaced previous annual review papers is easier to navigate, but does not capture year-to-year growth between career reviews; you essentially start over every year arguing your value (as opposed to leaders being able to see 2+ years of steady contribution and accolades)
    - IFS (internal firm services) professionals are mostly second class citizens, and will never have the earning power or the opportunities of a client-facing professional
    - Tendency is to reward through cash or gift card spot bonuses, instead of upping salary--which never keeps anyone happy for long
    - Limited advancement opportunities with some groups in IFS
    - Work environment is better than most, but still favors men and has a persistent boys' club atmosphere at times
    - Annual reviews are frustratingly not transparent; you have no place at the table to discuss your case if you're hoping for a raise or advancement--results are just told to you after the fact
    - Like all of the Big 4 and most big business, it's a very political environment

Advice to Management

It's understood across the industry that client-facing professionals command the higher salaries, bonuses, and better international opportunities. Give IFS credit and assume they all understand that. However, I consistently saw complaints across years of working about the lack of opportunities for IFS and how under-appreciated IFS employees felt.

Stop thinking about what you can't offer IFS (salaries rivaling consultants), and start thinking about what you can give them to make them happier and more willing to invest time and energy back into the firm. Think about development opportunities for top performers who deserve to continue growing and improving. Think about ways to connect the more advanced/robust IFS support in the US and UK to other member firms in areas we have a smaller presence. At PwC, you like to compare IFS to the "hub" that holds together and supports the "spokes" that are client service. It's a nice idea, but invest back in that hub with some of the money you made back from cutting IFS in 2017--reward those who are sticking around and deserve it. Often IFS hours are just as long as client service hours, and with less recognition.

7. "Positive experience and growth potential"

I worked at PwC full-time

Pros

Numerous projects to work on. Ability to work with a variety of different individuals.

Cons

Large company size can seem overwhelming at times.

8. "Best place to start your accounting career"

I worked at PwC full-time

Pros

Gives you the opportunities to develop your skillset and grow your network faster than anywhere else. Continuous push to move your career upward.

Cons

At the higher levels, the politics of a big firm are definitely felt. Constant struggle between allowing lower levels to develop versus staffing large engagements which hinder development.

9. "Technology Support"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at PwC as an intern

Pros

Great reputation for next step.

Cons

Work life balance is not ideal

Advice to Management

none

10. "Good Experience as First Job"

I worked at PwC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Smart people around
    -Flexibility
    -Hard work is noticed and you will be appreciated

Cons

- Heavy Workloads, you will have rare free weekends(Varies across competencies)

Showing 6,844 of 16,266 reviews