PwC Reviews | Glassdoor

PwC Reviews

Updated August 16, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people; Training; Clear career progression; Great client list ; Good remuneration; Work life balance (in 591 reviews)

• Learn a lot - lots of on the job training (in 358 reviews)

Cons

"The FS Advisory Partnership is in shambles!"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at PwC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company still maintains a good brand image, although it has lost a lot of business and some reputation since the summer of 2015. Some really talented people who either can't work with each other or create cliques, undermining their own potential and of the delivery team. There are still some genuine and good people in pockets, so where you land up depends on your research and to a certain extent, on luck!

Cons

PwC used to be an amazing place to work at, but over the past two years and especially in the New York, I've seen some of the worst people, mainly at manager level and above. I've worked at the other Big 4 firms and this definitely has the worst culture. This has gone hand-in-hand with a streak of poor performance. The FS Advisory partners have lost major accounts over the last couple of years. This led to a lot of politics, territory grabbing and loss of staff (both through attrition and layoffs). I cannot confirm but it appears they have defied WARN employment laws in their layoffs. It's only a matter of time before someone takes the pain to sue them.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves! Your greed is killing a great company that has built its reputation over decades!

2. "Veteran employee"

I worked at PwC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Provided great compensation and benefits

Cons

Rigid staff roles that do not provide flexibility, political and slow promotion process, and organization threatened by initiative takers

Advice to Management

Hire people for the level based on their skills and empower people to execute their initiatives

3. "human resources"

I worked at PwC full-time

Pros

flexible schedule, good pay, but not very many opportunities for advancement

Cons

greedy firm you are just a number to them

"Going down hill fast"

I worked at PwC full-time

Pros

If you are lucky to get one of the jobs where you don't do much of anything and show up only one day, great.

Cons

The partners have become impossible, the company is just a cash machine for them and a business second. With ego's out of control it will not go well. Staff get nothing in the way of raises or bonuses but are expected to do endless amounts of work.
    Aggressive hiring over the last year focusing on just minorities and women. Management has an extreme case of white guilt. Just had more lay-offs of 40% of staff while we are flooded with HB-1 visa workers.

Advice to Management

Why bother, they don't listen.

5. "Senior Assoicate"

Former Employee - Senior Associate - Tax in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Associate - Tax in Chicago, IL

I worked at PwC (More than 3 years)

Pros

They hire great/talented people

Cons

Disconnected Management, absolutely no work/life balance

Advice to Management

Empathize with Staff

"Terrible Place to work"

Former Employee - Associate in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Associate in Columbia, SC

I worked at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get exposed to a lot of different things.
    If you can do your time (2 years) and navigate office politics while staying in the MD's (Norm) good graces. You should have good enough experience to take your talent to a less stressful work place.
    A lot of free food

Cons

Their is a long list of cons. From the MD (Norm) to office politics. It is like being in high school again and if you are not "cool" you sit in what is known as the graveyard. Where you do nothing but computer based training courses.

Advice to Management

I believe current management needs to be gutted in favor of a fresh start.

"Micro management"

Former Employee - Tax Process Specialist 1A in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Tax Process Specialist 1A in Tampa, FL

I worked at PwC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I did not experience any pros. I was able to collect unemployment though. I had a negative experience here at least they did not blatany lie to unemployment like a former employer. And, I did not see obvious criminal activity like other employers. I am not an expert on the matter though. This was only a tax process job. I thought the accounting industry would be a good career path but there is a lot of controversy. There is a lot of discrimination in this industry. Maybe, you can get lucky at an accounting firm without all the hassles.

Cons

After personality differences I was micro managed. I could have recieved better instructions and guidelines to pass performance standards. Anyways, you learn from your mistakes. This place will pressure you to work for free. I highly reccomend a government job over this company. No, problems working for the government because they treat people with class unlike this company. This place will try to impress you with fancy meals, etc. but its all smoke and mirrors. PwC must be looking for robots. I have a great personality.

Advice to Management

No comment.

"Audit work and approach that is sold as "consulting". Boring way to nowhere"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I worked at PwC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. Waste of time and talent. Just follow the standard and be obedient and happy that you are working in a such "amazing" place. Might be an okish place to start the career (1.5-2 years max) but if you have an advanced degree from a good school - please forget all your career ambitions and intellectual capacity. It is NOT needed here.

Cons

Career progression is not based on merit but rather on whether partners like you - in other words, good work doesn't lead anywhere but constantly promoting your partner and doing minor but personalized pieces of work for him does
    Boring, intellectually dull work that doesn't lead anywhere
    Long hours and depersonalized environment where you are just an "augmentation gadget"
    Management doesn't care at all about your personal and professional growth neither your opinion
    A lot of nepotism
    Lack of respect and overall unhealthy professional environment

Advice to Management

You will not listen anyway as everybody has been telling about the same issues.

9. "Not Paid for Talent"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with young people all the time

Cons

Talents are hindered by strict role inflexibility

Advice to Management

If someone is stronger in one area let them explore roles that suit their strengths

"Chicago ITS & ITS-FS: Toxic culture - Couldn't pay me to work here again"

Former Employee - International Tax Senior in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - International Tax Senior in Chicago, IL

I worked at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most disappointing employer in my life = Blessing in disguise . Hung my shingle as solo atty.

Cons

1. Organization structure: antiquated and rigid corporate hierarchy.

2. The company culture is for:
    -lap dogs,
    -non-entrepreneurs,
    -non-risk takers,
    -those who need attention,
    -are afraid to stake their claim, and
    -over-compensators who have low levels of confidence despite outward projections to the contrary.

3. Immaturity and sophomoric behavior company-wide.

Advice to Management

Hired by Chicago ITS-FS (International Tax - Financial Services) and worked in both ITS-FS and ITS.

Brought to the table high-level strategic skillset: litigation attorney at own my own firm. 41 yrs old and pPast clients included:
    1) HNW families,
    2) Senior financial traders, and
    3) FP&A strategy consultants.

Yet placed into a bizarre and incongruent tactical role for 27 year-olds.

Result: my talent was squandered on low-level tasks, in an inappropriate role, which I previously paid my law office employees to perform e.g.,
    -bookkeeping for $400 of revenue,
    -drafting emails for others 14 years younger than I to approve,
    -making photocopies, and
    -collecting the mail from mailroom.

It was time to leave the firm when the following occurred:

Person #1 (personified Humphrey Bogart in The Cain Mutiny):
    -several years younger, unprofessional, with low emotional quotient
    -became irrational & hostile to mask their lack of tax litigation/POA experience (despite my having experience)
    -began client work without an engagement letter.

Person #2:
    -made inappropriate comments publicly regarding a coworker = HR violation.
    -refused to allow mission-critical deliverables to proceed to WNTS
    -fortunately this Person #2 was publicly removed after 12 months via mass email, "As of today, <NAME>, has left the firm..."

Lose the battle to win the war - Made the firm lay me off, collected my unemployment and severance.

Showing 625 of 14,736 reviews