PwC Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

PwC San Francisco Reviews

Updated March 15, 2017

San Francisco, CA Area

Pros
  • The work-life balance is much better than I thought it would be (in 548 reviews)

• You learn a lot of skills using Excel (in 330 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not that great (in 1978 reviews)

• Sometimes had long hours with little notice (in 2013 reviews)

1. "Poor work/life balance, compensation, benefits - STEER CLEAR"

Current Employee - Experienced Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Experienced Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with a lot of intelligent. PwC is a massive network and you should take full advantage of it.

Cons

The work/life balance at PwC is incredibly poor. 80 hour work weeks are commonplace year-round. Compensation is well below market rate. Benefits are nothing compared to many other companies.

Advice to Management

The cohort model is absolute crap and was just an excuse to lower base salaries by 5-10%. Lovely.

2. "Intrapreneurial mindset required"

Current Employee - Advisory Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Advisory Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PwC full-time

Pros

PwC does it ALL. We have strategy consulting, agency capabilities, dev resources, designers, deployment capabilities globally, and so on. There is really not much that PwC doesn't do. So there is opportunity to be had in this environment if you have some idea as to what you want to do and are able to network into the teams that do this type of work.

You may not win on every project but you are able to get a pretty good batting average and then over time build up the relationship capital to be able to get where you want to go. There is a lot of opportunity for career pivots within the firm so before leaving to get your MBA, I always recommend that people first use the firm as a testing ground to see if they like the proposed area and then build a nice story for your application by demonstrating how you are already starting to move your career in this direction.

We continue to add in new capabilities continuously and there is great opportunity to actually start doing work that in industry you probably wouldn't be given the chance to do because you didn't have the experience yet. I firmly believe that PwC offers a great development opportunity for folks who aren't quite sure "what they want to be when they grow up" as you can continue to test careers without committing while gaining great experience along the way.

Cons

PwC does it ALL. There is a downside to this as well. We are amazingly large now and figuring out who does exactly what you are interested in doing is kind of like the six degrees of separation game with Kevin Bacon. There is a lot of organizational inefficiency to get to where you want to go, and this includes the client delivery side as well. You could be working on an engagement struggling along and then realize some team three doors down is working on the same exact project for another client. You network not just because it's the culture but also because it is a survival skill.

The net result is that it takes a while to get the relationship capital and organizational understanding together to really know what the opportunities are and then at that point we tend to have lost folks because they feel like they are a ship afloat at sea without a paddle. You really need to work to find the superconnectors to minimize the degrees of separation to enable you to really take charge of your career.

Advice to Management

Be aware, as I'm sure you are, that there tends to be a gap between what we sell on campus and what new joiners experience on day one. Most folks leave, based on my non-statistical but direct experience, because they get staffed on a few projects that aren't quite what they want to do and then they lose heart and start looking elsewhere.

We also need to tackle the inefficiency of delivering client engagements by creating digital platforms for the future as the catalyst for operational efficiency as no one is truly incentivized at an individual engagement level to drive overall efficiency given our rate times hours model. In the not so distant future, tech, boutiques, or others are going to see what happened with the digital advisor platforms in wealth and begin to create digital consulting platforms which will erode our margins. Getting through some of the pain up front to drive efficiency in client delivery for the same types of projects will enable us to address challengers and build the next generation of the consulting model which marries platforms and projects.

3. "Great Place to Work but Technology is sub-par"

Current Employee - Director SAP Services in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director SAP Services in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work and great benefits and salary.

Cons

The offices and culture is really old school and needs a facelift dramatically. The PCs and tools you use to get work done are clunky and inefficient.

Advice to Management

Technology sucks.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Full autonomy No "boss". variety - experience - knowledge gained quickly. Good pay.

Cons

Internal Politics, metrics to hit, hrs can challenging

6. "Solid culture and great"

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PwC (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent opportunity to work with industry leading experts and great people.

Cons

Tough environment to break into from a business development perspective - your internal relationships are as important as external relationships. Formal PwC business development course should be required for external hires (with no big 4 experience) - assist in transitioning them to the PwC approach to BD and internal relationship management.

Advice to Management

Stay the course! Invest heavily on education when hiring externally - will enable success for the firm and individual.

7. "Great place to grow"

Former Employee - Risk Assurance Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Risk Assurance Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PwC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PwC is a great place to start your career, when you're young and have enough energy and willing to work hard. You learn a lot on the job, from multiple clients, can get exposed to different kinds of engagements, are mostly surrounded by smart and experienced people you can really learn from. On top of that there is a lot of internal sources you can learn from, and quite some trainings - technical and soft skills. It's a great way to jump start a career. And the people are also definitely on the "pros" side.

Cons

Obviously, the non-existent work life balance is the biggest pain. Also, especially for external audit the stress levels grow significantly as you get through to Senior and Manager levels, not to mention higher. Also, the travel needs can be significant, dependent on your clients and not everyone enjoys that.
    Compensation is also really really poor. For the amount of experience needed, hours and stress involved, the compensation (especially when compared to the industry) is just simply very bad.

8. "IT audit - Senior Associate"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PwC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Learn a lot
    - Work with a lot of great companies
    - PwC takes training seriously, and pays for you to become professionally certified CISA

Cons

- You can easily end up working 7 days a week on larger accounts. As the whole team is doing the same thing, there is no recognition
    - Lots of internal projects that never take off due to client commitments.

"Working at a Big Four"

Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and perks, opportunity for global mobility experience and diverse work experience

Cons

long hours, competition, people can be snooty

"Unethical work"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PwC full-time

Pros

good pay free coffee smart coworkers

Cons

they ask you to do unethical things in terms of auditing and you decline to do something that you think is wrong they fire you

"Experienced Associate"

Current Employee - Accounting Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PwC (Less than a year)

Pros

Great client, lot of brilliant people to network with. Balance of public and private clients helps give an understanding of business

Cons

If you are rated highly you are given everything and if you are rated poorly you are given nothing

Showing 222 of 13,121 reviews