PwC Reviews in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim Ryan
1 Rating

Pros
  • The work-life balance is much better than I thought it would be (in 548 reviews)

• You learn a lot of skills using Excel (in 330 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not that great (in 1978 reviews)

• Sometimes had long hours with little notice (in 2013 reviews)

1. "Poor place to work"

Former Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at PwC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have good resources and giant companies as client. Training programs are diversified and interesting sometime. Company has a good brand but not after 2017 Oscar!

Cons

Long working hours, poor quality bosses and they don't care about staffs and managers. Poor client basis for some listed companies. Low salary and very low bonus. In all, not recommend anyone I know to work there! Female partner is just like boss not like a leader! Poor thing!

Advice to Management

Partners need to improve their EQ don't be stingy to team and take sometime to really care about your team no matter what the sizes are. Partners don't talk or gossip behind staffs, talk to them f2f instead of talk someone behind his/her back! Such low personality!

2. "senior associate-tax"

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good to put on resume

Cons

no flexibility/crazy hours/stressful
    promotions take longer than other big 4's
    shortage of staff

3. "College students Beware: Dont' let Compay Perks fool you"

Former Employee - Experienced Tax Associate in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Experienced Tax Associate in San Jose, CA

Pros

PwC is no doubt a huge brand name company. You learn fast, and you are kept up to date with new or upcoming tax laws. The fancy parties, perks and free amenities in the office will blow you away if you don't come from extravagant upbringings. Perks include rewards for wellness (example: taking a 12 hour walk will earn you $5 for a gift card of your choice), corporate travel prices, PwC will also pay your tuition if you are trying to earn a graduate degree. Additionally, though many people say the firm is a great way to launch a career, it is not the only way to find a successful fulfilling career. I have many friends who are doing well w/o having the big 4 on their resume.

Cons

The hours are ridiculously long, was placed as the only associate for a project and had no experience in that field. Another project again, placed me as the only associate for an entity that I had no experience in and was expected to turn in perfect work, based on information/laws that I did not know. I ended up working about 200 hours in a two week pay period. I honestly expected to be working these sort of hours but it is not good to be working them long term. If done on a long term basis, it will wear on you. There are many employees at the firm who have worked there for years who look 10 years older than they really are due to stress and your neck will be hunched over from staring at a laptop for so long. Expect back and vision problems if you decide to stay long term.

Partners are constantly pushing team members to stay within the budget while working with slow technology that will keep you waiting for hours, waiting on hold for phone calls, and at the same time they tell employees to charge their hours honestly. Per discussion with my senior, she had told me that she was literally "eating" her hours in order to stay on budget and to stay off the partner's radar. Another associate literally cried due to the unreasonable amount of budgeted hours allocated to her for a project. However, since the last time I heard, PwC's revenue is approximately $35.4 billion (US) 1 employee has no power to complain.

Depending on your team, you will be thrown under the bus. Once this happens, there is no recovery. Management will not give you a chance to improve and you will become the team's scapegoat for any problems that arise with the project, even if it is not your fault. Best advise I can give, is to start looking for a new job immediately after this. The partner will tell your peers, who rate you via "Snapshots", to give you a poor review. This is used so the partner can deem this as evidence for firing you and this does happen. Employees can be thrown under the bus for odd reasons. One reason is because the employee did not have any knowledge of the project and there is no class or textbook that can teach them how to perform the work. I cannot emphasize this enough, once under the bus, it is only a matter of time until they fire you, unless you are a favorite or someone in management can save you. Unless that happens, no amount of improvement done will save you.

Partners do not keep track of how people are working and rely on Snapshots to evaluate performances, but the program is nothing but a popularity contest on who receives the best ratings. There is no possibility for upward feedback and rating can be manipulated by the partner (see previous paragraph). So associates who are stuck with a rude senior or manager cannot evaluate them.

There was a meeting where clients have complained that employees of PwC are arrogant. This is true among partners and possibly a few staff members. However, the firm does not offer a solution on how to solve this problem. Also, creativity is something that falls on deaf ears, you will not be heard. You must follow a routine that is not efficient and if you have any suggestions it will not be heard.

Though the choice to work for PwC is up to the student, carefully consider what is important in life, family, social life, etc. Do you like being acknowledged and working as a big fish in a small pond? If yes, then PwC is not the place for you, you are a number and disposable chattel there.

Advice to Management

PwC does not acknowledge advice. They are far too wealthy to care as long as the partners receive their fancy dinners and maintain their lavish lifestyles, they can care less what people have to say about the firm.

5. "Advisory Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is no good reason to work at pwc. People are not friendly in this company

Cons

Advisory Manager is a very routine job that people outside think it is an important job, but the fact is, it is not.

Advice to Management

Management should work on their employee development. People moved up the ladder not based on their working ability but based on their ability to do things behind people's back.

"Prestige is not worth it"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in San Jose, CA

I worked at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of structure, policies, and procedures, guidelines make it helpful and the departments are well allocated so you know who to go to for what
    Formal coaching program

Cons

Absolutely no work life balance
    Lots of hours
    Poor culture, quantity of hours more important than efficiency and quality of time spent

"Avoid and go for any other big 4 (Deloitte is great)"

Former Employee - Auditor in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Auditor in San Jose, CA

I worked at PwC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training- looks good on your resume- get a chance to work with different teams and clients-a lot of resources available

Cons

San Jose office is horrible. As soon as I joined I was working until 2AM including weekends. There is no work life balance. Actually you even destroy yourself and your life as well as your health by being there. They make sure you move from busy client to another busy one. They did not even assign a coach for me and I did not have any coach until I resigned. This office has a very high turnover so every one really leave. May be other offices are better but I had a really bad experience. The first time I met the HR, I was really happy as I wanted to talk to her about my goals and the clients I am interested in, but unfortunately, she said " oh these things you can talk to your coach about and for your schedule you can talk to the scheduler. I just wanted to meet you to say hello". I was really upset as I did not have a coach and she knew that and she did not want to listen to me. She just wanted to say hello. As such I was more than happy to say goodbye .

Advice to Management

Please care about your employees. I know revenue is the most important thing for you (achieved by having long hours) but it cost you more when employees leave. Also please change the way you choose your HR

"Very Disappointing Experience"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PwC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Still trying to figure this out

Cons

Fear based performance metrics, anyone in management has only worked within the firm so they completely lack perspective. Average age is 21 so that totally sucks too...who want to build a network full of millennials.

"Pay a Living Wage! I made more money as a bartender."

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Still trying to figure out...

Cons

The pay is so undermarket for this area, I live with roommates, drive an old car and STILL struggle to buy groceries.

Advice to Management

Pay a living wage! This is impossible to show up to work while I am so hungry!

"Over worked for what you can make in industry"

Current Employee - Associate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PwC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot about accounting

Cons

The problem with PwC is that if you want to have a life or a family this isn't the place. PwC is full of people that are committed to their work and/or want to land a sweet job somewhere else after making manager

"Terrible place to work"

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to a lot of work, industries, ambitious people

Cons

NO work-life balance, cut throat environment.

Showing 18 of 13,171 reviews