PwC Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Washington, DC Area

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim Ryan

Pros
  • Great people; Training; Clear career progression; Great client list ; Good remuneration; Work life balance (in 575 reviews)

• Learn a lot - lots of on the job training (in 350 reviews)

Cons

1. "Opportunity to find your place"

Former Intern - Tax Intern in McLean, VA
    Former Intern - Tax Intern in McLean, VA

I worked at PwC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

There are people there to help you and make you feel welcome. Fun activities to participate in like working a part day with a volunteer group and a kickball tourney. Decent pay for the work you're doing. Tons of educational support.

Cons

Cubicle work can be a bit isolating.

Advice to Management

More structure for learning the job when there's no or little work for you.

2. "Audit & Transaction Services Senior Associate"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, everyone is smart, work is engaging for the most part

Cons

Will work you as hard as they can

3. "Senior Associate -- Changes Needed"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

Pros

Variety of work streams in different accounts. With the right connections the opportunities are limitless.

Cons

One of the biggest cons is getting staffed on a project as this is likely true for most consulting firms. Once on the bench you will need to network like heck to get on another task. Staying on the bench too long can negatively impact your career. As discuss in previous posts, the firm uses dated tech (Lotus Notes) - not sure why they don't use MS Office. Also, the healthcare plans are all converting to high, medium, and low deductible plans.

Advice to Management

There needs to be concerted effort to reduce the number of leader and focus on senior associate progression to managers. Also, there is nothing wrong with updated technology.

"Great Firm, Culture, People, and Clients"

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has some of the best and brightest talent and I am happy to work alongside of them. (DC firm)

Cons

Some overtime is expected, especially do work for the firm. However there are flexibility depending on who is managing your team and what client you're working for.

Advice to Management

While I think most management do actively listen to the ideas of junior staff, I think they can be more open to the ideas of junior staff. Not just listen to them but actually use those ideas and implement them. (Referring to DC firm)

"Well-organized audit company"

Current Employee - Experienced Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Experienced Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are amazing - lot to learn, pleasant to work with.

Cons

working hours, busy seasons, not very competitive salary

"Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at PwC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning experience. It definitely showed me what wrong looks like. I wouldn't have my current, much more lucrative job without those three letters on my resume.

Cons

For people looking for a quick opinion, I will sum up everything in four words: "No Hopes. No Dreams."

Where to start. OK. So I was at PwC Public Sector Practice. This organization as a whole has some really cool projects. However, I was a DoD Consultant with the National Security Practice. If you are reading this right now and considering a job with PwC NSP NSP... RUN. Do not accept the offer letter. the leadership is horrifying. The culture is the most toxic I have ever seen. They don't win any work. They talk abotu career mobility and how well you will do if you stay, but no one gets raises. No one gets bonuses. No one gets promotions. They do, but they are garbage and do not keep up with career growth elsewhere. You will get sucked into a black hole where you are told that you are lucky to work there while you have your life sucked from your soul. Your job will be threatened after your first month there. You will not be able to approach managers and directors and the partners and MDs (Minus one partner and one MD) are not approachable whatsoever. The partners will not remember your name. So remember that when you are trying to get promoted. Your utilization director will come up with reasons why your utilization needs to be higher, even though you will hit all of your goals. I can promise your partner, director and manager will not take an active interest in your career. You will not get constructive feedback, ever, and your snapshots will be garbage. You will single handedly run a project and be responsible for a project's success and will still get a garbage snapshot. They are super broke, so you are not allowed to do any of the cool PwC events or learning opportunities around the country or world. Again, they are broke, so no dinners or happy hours. Unless you are working on a proposal till midnight, you might get Chinese paid for. Or if you are working on a proposal Saturday and Sunday you might get one of the lunches paid for. Maybe. Then, you can write most of the proposal and if it wins (Which rarely happens), you will not get a bonus. You will get a $50 Amazon gift card and told how lucky you are to have been part of the effort. You will also get told that you can eat what you kill... but that's not true wither unless you fit in an LCAT on the proposal you are working. I honestly don't know a single person who started when I did that still works there if that tells you anything. If you are lookign at a job here for the pay raise and the prestige of PwC.... Be careful and good luck. I honestly would be making more and further along in my career had I avoided this place altogether.

So again, to sum it up in four words, "No Hopes. No dreams."

Advice to Management

Take an active interest in your consultant's careers. Have your directors take an active interest in your consultant's careers. Have your manager take an active interest in your consultant's careers. Try to create an environment where there is opportunity and growth instead of crushing everyone's hopes and dreams.

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Director in McLean, VA

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits for the area.

Cons

Not a lot of upward mobility for IFS.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent.

8. "Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at PwC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, a ton of Opportunities,

Cons

Nothing I can think of

9. "Great Place to Work - It's a Big Company"

I have been working at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PwC is a great place to work. It's dynamic, large and exciting, but your team is usually small and feels intimate.

Cons

It's easy to get trapped in a work stream and feel hampered by metrics.

10. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at PwC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility, great benefits, good learning opportunities, good pay for client facing staff, mostly professional environment, met life long connections and friends.

Cons

It's hard to take vacation at PwC and when you do, you often have to work (flexibility). You have to deal with difficult personalities and people who are unable or unwilling to compromise. They will do what they are obligated to do on your way out the door but won't do "what is right" consistently.

Advice to Management

Seek to provide a better environment enabling people to take the time off they need and deserve. The sabbatical is nice, however, getting to the point that you can actually use it is a challenge. Directors are now being asked to do more of the HR focus vs. growing their teams and book of business.

Showing 337 of 14,140 reviews