Pythian "remote work" Reviews | Glassdoor

Pythian Employee Reviews about "remote work"

Updated Nov 27, 2019

3.5
Pythian President Keith Millar
Keith Millar
Pros
  • "Work from home option makes work life balance easier(in 24 reviews)

• "Remote work and travel opportunities offer flexibility for me as my siblings and I continue to care for our sick parents(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hard to get 8 hours work each day out of small pool of clients(in 6 reviews)

• "Work with the top 5% is not a reality(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "remote work"

Return to all Reviews

"Powerful Pythian!"

Current Employee - Cloud Transformation Sales in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Pythian full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Pythian is by far the best technology services company I have ever worked with, and I have worked with everyone from most of the big Tier 1 and Tier 2 global technology name brands you would definitely know, to supporting 3rd party vendors, and to a hot new start up in Silicon Valley. * Client satisfaction and the client's desired business + technical outcomes are of the highest priority. From what I have personally witnessed so far, Pythian is consistently doing this better and faster than our competitors. * Pythian technical resources are truly top tier globally. Their level of accumulated knowledge and ability to recall fine details during client calls continues to impress. * The culture internally is positive, transparent, and people are genuinely invested in helping each other with their respective individual career growth goals. I see a future for myself here with our growth trajectory over the next 5+ years. * The employee compensation package is generous and competitive in the market. * Remote work and travel opportunities offer flexibility for me as my siblings and I continue to care for our sick parents. * Learning, questions, and action are all encouraged and rewarded. * Feedback from employees is actually heard and acknowledged by leadership teams, who strive to make logical adjustments to adapt if/where necessary. * The current leadership team is strong, humble, intelligent, and accountable; these are rare traits to find together in today's industry. * All departments across the board deserve a shoutout for executing their jobs at the highest level, and for forming a cohesive company through excellent verbal and written communications.

Cons

* Although no company is "perfect" and I would challenge anyone to find a company today that truly is, Pythian objectively does not have many Cons to mention. * Brand awareness and presence could be increased in a certain high-potential geography of the United States. Leadership seems to be actively working on this. * This rarely happens: remote workers can face a double-edged sword sometimes, as it can be more efficient to find the correct person in their office for a quick face-to-face chat about a critical client need than it is to email, text, or call. * Training could be more personalized and/or standardized, as people tend to learn best leveraging the individual methods that are best for them to learn.

Advice to Management

* Keep adapting and moving forward. The future looks very bright! * If deemed appropriate, consider installing a Quality Assurance team member to listen in on sales and technical calls. There are untapped insights here waiting to be discovered and best practices shared.

Pythian2019-10-16

"Micro management and no freedom at work"

Former Employee - Database Administrator in New York, NY

I worked at Pythian full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a Global team Options to Work remotely Flexible hours are provided

Cons

The company do the micromanagement, monitor every single minutes and every single work/post , do not focus on customer. Company is losing business due to Cloud and Database as service Use 10-20 years old technology for database monitoring and ticketing No-one has any voice for improvement and any suggestions. Work as head down and put tape on mouse, work as a slave.

Advice to Management

Traditional Database administration is slowly dying due to cloud, automation and database as service from AWS, Google and Microsoft. Develop some product and provide better working environment. The company is doing business in Read sea. The process and NonNon-techicalTechnical Management people are too much overhead for the company.

Pythian2019-10-13
  3. "Best Job, Hands Down!"

Current Employee - Managing Director US East in Miami, FL

I have been working at Pythian full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I am now part of that small but lucky group of folks who can wake up and say..."I truly love what I do for a living." If you want... **to work with some of the smartest people in the world **to work remotely **to live anywhere in the world you want **to have the best work/life balance you have ever experienced **to be challenged daily to constantly be on your A game **to be careful what you ask for because the answer is always YES **to be able to seriously influence the direction of a company daily through your own actions Then Pythian is for you.

Cons

If you don't want..... **to work really hard and be held accountable **to work on different cool projects daily **to have to wear multiple hats at times **to overcome challenges just like every other company in the world has.... Then Pythian is not for you. And thats ok too.

Advice to Management

Thank you.

Pythian2018-03-06
  4. "I had a great experience (Big Data / Transformation Team)"

Former Employee - Big Data Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Pythian full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Huge learning experience Impressive client roster Amazing group of experts Company is great at continuing education/training opportunities. Encouraged/expected to be domain experts Tons of exposure to cutting edge technologies Overall, the company is striving to be at the forefront of Innovation / Technology

Cons

Engineering work is great, but hard to move up in org without being onsite (though being onsite is encouraged). Normal challenges that come with remote work.

Advice to Management

Despite a long and enjoyable career, encountered HR static upon departure that sullied my great experience there a bit (sudden, impersonal cutoff of access to emails etc earlier than expected). Overall no big deal and appreciate the experience!

Pythian2018-01-31
  5. "Industry leader in data and cloud"

Former Employee - Undisclosed in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Pythian full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Amazing talent Opportunity to learn Remote work / work from home Opportunity to work for top clients on hard problems in data and cloud HR tries real hard

Cons

Can be stressful and intense. Working by the billable hour can be a challenge. Globally distributed teams can feel isolating, must take steps to compensate and accommodate.

Pythian2019-11-27

"Good Coop Experience"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Pythian full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible Hours, Remote work, Nice office space, Opportunity to learn from great colleagues.

Cons

Lack big challenges. Equally give the chance to all Coop students.

Pythian2018-08-20

"fake job offers"

Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Pythian

Pros

startup environment, remote work is possible

Cons

usually send the same excercise on python to whoever applies and once you send it to them you will never hear back..

Advice to Management

recruitment process should be fair n transparent

Pythian2018-04-06

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Pythian full-time for less than a year

Pros

Innovative company which allows employees work remotely and has a great purpose and atmosphere.

Cons

Some internal processes need to improve.

Advice to Management

I have an amazing manager. Nothing to say, just to thank him for being talented and an awesome human being.

Pythian2018-03-23

"It could be much better"

Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Pythian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Respect employee work and schedule as well contractors. Do provide ways to communicate to upper management. Pay well and it is remote work. On boarding is great. Everyone respects each other.

Cons

Bureaucracy for small things. Request speed when things are under pressure and make your work slow when hours from client are needed. Company does not allow you to work less then the contracted hours. Pressure for things that does not matter and some times management hit their heads.

Advice to Management

There is none, they are going backwards of what makes sense anyway.

Pythian2016-12-22