Pythian "work from home" Reviews | Glassdoor

Pythian Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated Nov 27, 2019

3.5
Pythian President Keith Millar
Keith Millar
Pros
  • "Work from home option makes work life balance easier(in 24 reviews)

• "Remote work and travel opportunities offer flexibility for me as my siblings and I continue to care for our sick parents(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hard to get 8 hours work each day out of small pool of clients(in 6 reviews)

• "Work with the top 5% is not a reality(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Industry leader in data and cloud"

Former Employee - Undisclosed in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Pythian full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Amazing talent Opportunity to learn Remote work / work from home Opportunity to work for top clients on hard problems in data and cloud HR tries real hard

Cons

Can be stressful and intense. Working by the billable hour can be a challenge. Globally distributed teams can feel isolating, must take steps to compensate and accommodate.

Pythian2019-11-27
  2. "Database Consultant"

Current Employee - Database Consultant in Hyderābād

I have been working at Pythian full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company culture and tremendous opportunity for career advancement. Work from home option makes work life balance easier.People are friendly and will bend over backwards to get you the resources you need to succeed. Compensation and perks are good.They allocate certain amount every year for training which is very good and keep me learning.Company encourages to learn new technologies. Leadership/Management is approachable and listens to employee. Good place to learn cutting edge technologies.

Cons

So far I have found none.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Pythian2019-10-18

"Micromanagement is too BAD!!!"

Former Employee - Database Consultant in Hyderābād

I worked at Pythian full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As usual from other reviews, Work from home is a great benefit. CEO Paul is very inspirational, Motivating personality. Great support on conferences (financially). Great support for trainings and certifications.

Cons

1. Filling 8 Hours per day is painful when there is no sufficient work available within the team. We need to find work from our team or other teams to complete 8 hours, even though its duty of the manager to assign work. 2. Some employees sitting from years, decades and have a very good hold in a company and they can easily blame newcomer. I had a very bad experience with my Manager and Colleague as they are blamed for no reason. God knows well what is happened and unfortunately, management has to listen to one of the employees and blamed me on all the corners. But they will pay/suffer definitely and finally forced me to resign from Pythian. This is really unacceptable and unexpected. 3. Lot of politics 4. To fill the 8 hours time, it will force us to fill wrong time to customers. Else we our salary will be dedcuted or have to pay leaves. This is bad part of the company, I recommend to change the policies. 5. I have seen resources, who fill 2 hours for even 10 minutes of work. Customer finally a big looser.

Advice to Management

Need to review and eliminate who are sitting in years or decades and doing big politics. Managers should have common sense instead of listening in 1 way. Because employee has to suffer throughout the duration.

Pythian2019-01-24
  4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Database Consultant in São Paulo, São Paulo

I have been working at Pythian full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits - Work from home. - Paid time off: 6 sick leaves, 15 vacation days, 12-17 statutory days (country based), 1 volunteer day, extra 10 days if new baby comes. -Professional development support: 3% over annual salary (this can vary according to your job title) + 2 professional days. - Office allowance: begin with 1500 CAD +500 per year - Speaking engagement support: 3000 CAD per year + 50 hours (only for some job titles or tech community leaders). - Paid over time: depend on the team workload. Great teams - People are divided in teams based on the technology they are experts. - Teams have some clients allotted based on the contract size and team size. - People are awesome, most teams really work as a team. - Each team has a team manager and she/he is really close to what everyone on the team does everyday. - There are 7-12 people per team. Company executives - Great visionary guys. - Good partnership programs with AWS, Oracle, Microsoft and Google. - CEO is a really nice guy with a great vision to tech trends and people. - People matters, Pythian has the Pythia index which tracks the balance of men and women in the company. Sales - Great involvement with the sales guys. - Every client has a Customer Success Manager that works with tech teams and the client. We have weekly meetings with the clients to check projects and todos.

Cons

Tracking time and actions is really boring, but seems to be a necessary evil. Some people work alone on their shifts, which is not good, but seems that the company is trying to fix this. Sometimes the workload gets really low and there is no work to be done to the clients, but we have a target of 85% billable hours to get. We work a lot more than inside any other company because of the billable time targets we need to reach. It should be 8 hours a day, but from these we need to bill 6.8 hours to the client, sometimes it becomes difficult to reach. On-call is not paid extra, but you can take the time off. On-call can get pretty intense and heavy, but if you have a good team maybe someone will be available to help. Sometimes the tools available to work stress more than help.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the outstanding people. Never forget about the people programs you have, this really makes a difference.

Pythian2018-05-28

"My time at Pythian so far....."

Current Employee - Director in London, England

I have been working at Pythian full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best team I've ever worked with. Great flexibility when it comes to working from home or being in the office. Roles are clearly defined. People are not stepping on each other toes. The work that Pythian is doing with data is genuinely cool and I get to work alongside the industry giants as our partners. (Which means we get to spend time at their offices in London, again very cool)

Cons

The company is going through a transformative time. This means if you are not comfortable with constant change then this is not the org for you. Often something you new to be a fact one week is different the next. It's a people business so resourcing can be a challenge at times, if you are used to dealing with products this will be a very different way of working.

Advice to Management

Help people struggling with the constant change by reminding them of the benefits the change brings to the organisation. It might not benefit your team. But if you know a certain ask will save your colleagues hours, then you will be more invested in helping. Because so much happens its often a case of "trust me this is fo our benefit"

Pythian2018-05-01
  6. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Customer Success Specialist in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Pythian full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home Flexible hours Competitive salary and stock options Professional, supportive and pleasant colleagues

Cons

None so far. Company is a pleasure to work for.

Advice to Management

Just keep on doing what you are doing

Pythian2018-04-10

"Good idea, bad implementation."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Barcelona

I worked at Pythian full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working from home was a nice experience. Kind of flexible hours Salary was above average Most of the engineers are really nice people

Cons

Management lives in an Ivory Tower, don't seem to understand what goes on with the employees. They keep saying they'll change things, but they stay the same. There was no career path, I kept the same position with the same work all the time I was there, and every time I asked for a change (only twice, I reckon), it was rejected. Having to book time detailed to the minute is a torture when you want to focus on doing actual work, and the app to do so was painfully slow. I usually spent more time looking for tickets to book time than actually working. Being able to use just a small amount of time per month for each client (the time they subscribed in their contract) makes very difficult doing actual work and owning any kind of project. Having customers from all over the world means having meetings out of your shift. When you choose the "flexible hours" that's great, but when the company chooses them for you and you get meetings regularly at 10pm and maintenances at 2am, flexibility is really undesirable.

Advice to Management

Stop saying you're listening and that things will change, and really listen to your engineers and make things change. There is a lot of wasted engineer potential!

Pythian2018-04-10
  8. "A great place to work from many perspectives!"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Buenos Aires

I have been working at Pythian for more than 3 years

Pros

-Competitive salary -Flex time and working from home (including an office allowance) -Professional development and conferencing budgets -Blogging is encouraged -Development days, Volunteering day, local statutory holidays, sick days -The opportunity to know and work with great people from all around the globe

Cons

-Time tracking could sometimes be tedious

Pythian2018-03-20

"Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Pythian full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance: get to work from home and culture really values your personal time. Sales are focused on hunting and sales instead of issues and fires. The technical experts they hire really are technical experts in their field. Onboarding really sets you up for success. Very entrepreneurial in that they hire the best and let them do their job.

Cons

While I enjoy working from remotely I can see how it's not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Pythian2017-07-18

"Non Techies Don't Stand a Chance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Pythian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work from home - very convenient Education assistance. Some great people. Nothing else I can think of to add here

Cons

Boys club Sexism Very hard to move up in non technical role Little recognition to non technical folks (sorry) Not a fan of the CEO. Has a vision but it's the little people who make it so. Too many C levels.

Advice to Management

Equality

Pythian2017-07-06